collapse

search

• World Champion
  • Liked: 13147
  • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
Astana Pro Team rider Alexey Lutsenko has suffered from severe saddle sores following a training block in preparation for the Ardennes Classics -

Team medical staff have diagnosed Lutsenko and referred him for surgical procedures, to be followed by maximum rest away from the bicycle -

In this instance, Lutsenko will return to his native Kazakhstan to be with family while he recovers, with a tentative return to racing in June at GP Gippingen in Switzerland -

http://astanaproteam.kz/en/page/news/6457-official-statement-alexey-lutsenko/
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3257
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    cc: The Dark Side :-x
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4020
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    I cant say I have ever heard of surgery for saddle sores

:s
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3573
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015

One would think that common sense might prevail before it got to the point of requiring "surgery."
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    Peter Stetina: ‘I am lucky to be alive’

On April 6, in the final sprint to the finish line in the opening stage of the Vuelta al País Vasco (Tour of the Basque Country), it didn’t matter how careful Stetina — or anyone else — was in the peloton that day. Just 400 meters from the finish line, on the right side of the finish straight, two metal poles, about one meter high, remained in the roadway.

Peter Stetina: It was a very big, invasive surgery. One minor ligament was torn, and that needed reattachment. I have a plate in my tibia, and my kneecap was reconstructed. The kneecap was shattered. The good thing, if there is a good thing in all of this, is that it was all bones. There was no tendon damage. Bones heal faster, and they’re more durable. No one is saying this means a career-ending injury.

I looked up, and plowed knee-first right into the metal pole at 60kph

I was fully conscious the whole time. I slammed into the pole, and maybe I hit the other pole, because I also broke three ribs. I was on the ground, and I tried to get up. There’s so much adrenaline after a crash, I could move my arms and upper body, but my leg wouldn’t move. My team director was there, and he was holding me down, holding my head, telling me not to move. It was just searing pain. The tibia fractured, and my knee cap was shattered. It was instantaneous pain.

By far, this is the worst injury of my career. I’ve never even been in the hospital before.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11186
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

:s

Don´t you remember the story of Basso crying when he couldn´t ride the Giro and showing pics to his cycling mates of the " injury "
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

ansimi

• Domestique
    • Liked: 240
    There have been a number of stories of top riders having surgery for saddle sores. Of course they shouldn't be allowed to get to that stage but endurance athletes are not renowned for their common sense!

And while I don't find the saddle-sore story all that suspicious regarding a cover-up, it actually does link to the Astana problems in that the team should be looking after its athletes.

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7563
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    It's all the UCI's fault! ;)

Spoiler (hover to show)
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

pastronef

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 662
    https://www.twitter.com/WoutPoels/status/592674843314782208

no Romandie for Poels, will fly to Manchester to better check his shoulder after the Fleche crash
  • ReplyReply

• pastronef

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 662
    Wout Poels will need surgery on his shoulder  :(

https://www.twitter.com/WoutPoels/status/593101361169956864

let's hope he's back for Dauphiné/Suisse
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    an update on Kittel from #giant

The teams sprinter Marcel Kittel (GER), who initially was announced for the Tour of California, will not participate. In consultation with the performance staff and Kittel himself, the team decided to follow a different program in building up to his upcoming season goals. An alternative racing program will be determined by the team. Kittel said, "After the Tour de Yorkshire we decided to take some more time for training, as I am not yet back to the race fitness needed for such a big and prestigious race as the Tour of California, and I will focus on training and working toward the next goals this season."
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8137
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014

search

• World Champion
    ouch

Marycz picture in the spoiler  :o

Spoiler (hover to show)
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1663
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015
    Stefan Kung. Compound fracture of a vertebrae. 3 to 4 months out. :(
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    May as well drop this in here. Feel free to move in there's better location.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/05/news/ochowicz-calls-for-end-to-crash-fest-by-removing-wildcard-teams_371663

The balls on Ochowicz. What a clown.
    As I said in my statement, we have to adhere to a higher standard than Pro Continental teams. And those standards, that are not met by Pro Continental teams, in some cases leads to situations in the race that wouldn’t be there otherwise.”

Oh, do tell! Please enlighten us to the superiority of the World Tour teams when it comes to avoiding crashes.
    Ochowicz also notes that WorldTour teams have top industry partners to provide the best equipment :S
    Oh. So that's it. It must be all those crappy 105 components, steel frames, and clinchers that are causing so many crashes.

...and have the staff and budget to perform extensive reconnaissance of courses — implying that lower-level teams may not have the same behind-the-scenes support.

Hey Jimbo, why don't you try spinning that BS with your own rider, Peter "I'm lucky to be alive" Stetina?

Remember this one?

The incident occurred about 500 metres from the finish when riders encountered a group of unprotected and mostly unmarked steel poles alongside the curb, said BMC team director Jackson Stewart.

“There were these four-foot high steel posts – I'm not sure what they're there for, maybe to separate bikes from cars or to keep people from parking along the curb,”
    Team leader Tejay van Garderen pulled no punches when assessing blame for the late-race melee.

“In my opinion that was completely the fault of the organization,”
    What happened, no WorldTour-caliber "extensive reconnaissance" on that unfortunate day?

Those poles were probably put in place by one of the notoriously reckless and irresponsible Pro-Conti teams.

FFS. I hope some "journalist" has enough sense to call Ochowicz out on this.

Why is he even allowed to participate in this sport still? :slow
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
      • Music To Your Ears

cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    Re: Man Down Injury and Illness reports 2015
    « Reply #76 on: August 03, 2015, 12:16 »
    https://twitter.com/VeloHuman/status/628158390280323072

Quote from: WebMD
    Angina is usually caused by heart disease. A fatty substance called plaque builds up in the arteries, blocking blood flow to the heart muscle. This forces the heart to work with less oxygen, and that causes pain. You may also have blood clots in the arteries of your heart, which can cause heart attacks.

Of all the diseases for a pro cyclist to suffer from - and someone with a talent for climbing at that - angina is not the one I would expect.

Either Carlos is deeply unfit and unhealthy, or there is a serious underlying cardiac issue that he needs to get sorted post haste.

EDIT: The source tweet seems to have been deleted. Thus my lightspeed reporting and genuine concern over the Betancur's health might be somewhat premature[1]
     1. Searching WebMD for "premature" is not advisable if you are in a place of work
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7563
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #77 on: August 06, 2015, 05:27 »
    http://www.cycling.org.au/News/All-News/power-and-edmondson-look-to-2016-following-injury

Robert Power & Alex Edmondson have knee injuries, ending their 2015 season.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6777
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #78 on: August 14, 2015, 08:17 »
    Another injury for vitamin user Rémy Di Grégorio #marseille who bounced out of the Tour de l'Ain yesterday. This was his third heavy crash of the season. If only he had that number of wins...

As his DS memorably put it: "He hit his knee and his elbow especially. He needed stitches because the wound was peeing blood".

The ill-starred, massive-headed Frenchman hopes to return for the Tour du Limousin.

http://www.directvelo.com/actualite/45309-nouveau-coup-d-arret-pour-remy-di-gregorio.html (FR)
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

search

• World Champion
    « Reply #79 on: August 27, 2015, 00:02 »
    Bob Jungels' season is over, he cut a tendon in his hand

...while doing the dishes  :Pig:

http://www.tageblatt.lu/nachrichten/story/30860948
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4020
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #80 on: August 27, 2015, 00:31 »
    oh ouch
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
      • Music To Your Ears
    « Reply #81 on: August 31, 2015, 20:30 »
    This doesn't sound good to me. Fingers crossed he will be ok.

http://www.lottosoudal.be/update-kris-boeckmans/?lang=en

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11186
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #82 on: September 01, 2015, 10:36 »
    Ben Hermans 2 broken vertebrae season is done 
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6777
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #83 on: September 03, 2015, 09:55 »
    Froome fractured his foot. Can think of another F or two to add to that last sentence ... :lol

DNS today and, one presumes, for the rest of 2015.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/froome-out-of-the-vuelta-a-espana-after-checks-reveal-a-fracture-in-his-foot/
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #84 on: September 08, 2015, 14:45 »
    Froome fractured his foot. Can think of another F or two to add to that last sentence ... :lol

DNS today and, one presumes, for the rest of 2015.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/froome-out-of-the-vuelta-a-espana-after-checks-reveal-a-fracture-in-his-foot/

One presumes right...

Chris Froome set to miss World Championships with broken foot

Not that one expected him to actually be in contention in Richmond. Nor in Lombardy (which one continues to presume he will be unfit for, regardless of his expected lack of desire to ride).
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #85 on: September 10, 2015, 13:37 »
    http://www.etixx-quickstep.com/en/news/show/update-gaviria-unable-to-start-tour-of-britain-stage-5/2406

Gaviria has "pre-patellar friction syndrome", apparently caused by riding too much/too fast/too soon. The team are giving him some rest before deciding how he should spend the rest of his season.
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
      • Music To Your Ears

cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8137
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014

DJW

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 896
    • Awards: Rio Olympics Prediction Champ