collapse

Race Radio

• Neo Pro
  • Liked: 312
Pro Cycling is like sausage, I love it but I don't want to know how it is made.

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1902
  • Awards: Post of the year 2015
Re: 1/3 of Team Sky riders have Asthma?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 04:21 »
From his work with cyclists, Dickinson says, surprising numbers carry inhalers in the back pockets of their jerseys: “Cognitively, the inhaler can give you the confidence to push yourself that little bit more. Sometimes a rider will know a climb is coming, so they take a couple of puffs.”

:-x
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8993
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 08:29 »
    we would need to see this in comparison, generally 1/3 sounds like a relatively small number to me. From back in the 90's I remember more or less everyone competing on top level "having Asthma" - has this changed meanwhile?
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 08:33 »
    Another engraved slab for the veritable pantheon of Radcliffe apologia...

Still though, good to see that the researchers actually tested for asthma rather than just counting how many athletes were using inhalers. ;)

Difficult to draw the line between therapy and enhancement with inhalers but I was pleasantly surprised by some of the more literate comments below the article. Seems there is greater awareness of the PED-asthma issues than I thought.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10716
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 08:37 »
    Wonder what the rate is in the rest of the peloton?

but sports asthma is just a normal process of the body airway system when under exclusive loads. So tgere will be a physiological help and placebo as well.

• ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5774
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 12:04 »
    It looks like a sensational headline for the uninformed. But 1/3 isn't as much as I would have thought.

If it's genuine sports asthma, the riders have TUEs, and the inhalers are used sparingly and only when actually needed to not fall off the bike - fine with me.

The problem is that many riders will
    - have a complicit doctor 'diagnose' 'asthma' for performance enhancement
    - use their inhaler whenever they think they could need an extra push
    - do all of the above
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

Armchair Cyclist

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1927
    • Awards: Giro Prediction Champ 2017
    « Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 14:27 »
    This reads far more like a response to conditions than a medical condition as such.  Some people are very susceptible to altitude sickness, while others can fly in and out of cities like La Paz and Quito without any reaction: the altitude sickness suffered by the first group would not be considered an illness.  We could perhaps less controversially rename this response with asthma-like consequences as Chlorine Rich  And Cold Air Rapid Intake Breathlessness Syndrome (CRACARIBS). 

So we are told that 50% of cross country skiers experience CRACARIBS, or that 70% of swimmers do.  Does this actually mean anything more than that 50% of people would suffer it if they tried to do cross country skiing, or swimming in a near empty, and less well heated, pool?  Altitude sickness affects those who are otherwise very fit and healthy, so why should CRACARIBS not.  And so 30% of any sample of people might find that cycling up Mount Teide in December is sufficient to triggers CRACARIBS. 

And I would have to say that, although it was never tested, I was certainly aware of a breathlessness when herringbone stepping up nursery ski slopes or clearing driveways after a snowfall.  (I am also left exhausted by swimming a couple of lengths of a swimming pool, but I would put that down to incredibly inefficient technique and dislike of submerging my face)  So although I have not been an altitude sickness sufferer, I am evidently susceptible to CRACARIBS.  That does not mean that I am a potential WT cyclist or Olympic swimmer, but that a proportion of those people, like a proportion of us, are CRACARIBS-prone.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 14:42 »
    CRACARIBS

WTF?  :lol  :o

I know a guy who recently fell off his bike on a wet descent and broke a couple of ribs. And that is the first thing I thought of when I saw this.

Carry on...  :P
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5774
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #8 on: December 29, 2014, 15:25 »
    And I would have to say that, although it was never tested, I was certainly aware of a breathlessness when herringbone stepping up nursery ski slopes or clearing driveways after a snowfall.  (I am also left exhausted by swimming a couple of lengths of a swimming pool, but I would put that down to incredibly inefficient technique and dislike of submerging my face)  So although I have not been an altitude sickness sufferer, I am evidently susceptible to CRACARIBS.  That does not mean that I am a potential WT cyclist or Olympic swimmer, but that a proportion of those people, like a proportion of us, are CRACARIBS-prone.
    Yes. Cycling up the Stelvio, once I got above 2000 m, I had to stop every km or so to catch my breath and get the heartrate to more manageable levels.
    If I had to do it at race pace, an inhaler would certainly come in very handy.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1902
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #9 on: December 29, 2014, 21:51 »
    Yes. Cycling up the Stelvio, once I got above 2000 m, I had to stop every km or so to catch my breath and get the heartrate to more manageable levels.
    If I had to do it at race pace, an inhaler would certainly come in very handy.
    But you're describing a very different issue, no?

Asthma-related issues should have to do with a constriction of the airway. You seem to be describing the effects of less oxygen at altitude.

When I've gone skiing in the mountains of Utah, I experienced the same thing. Going downhill was fine, but if I had to work my way uphill to retrieve a dropped ski pole, or to change course, I was winded and out of breath almost immediately.

Under such circumstances, I can't imagine that an inhaler would provide any benefit whatsoever (unless it was a large one filled with oxygen).
  • ReplyReply

• Claudio Cappuccino

• National Champion
    • Liked: 740
    • Venga! Venga! Venga!
    « Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 09:31 »
    It looks like a sensational headline for the uninformed. But 1/3 isn't as much as I would have thought.

If it's genuine sports asthma, the riders have TUEs, and the inhalers are used sparingly and only when actually needed to not fall off the bike - fine with me.

The problem is that many riders will
    - have a complicit doctor 'diagnose' 'asthma' for performance enhancement
    - use their inhaler whenever they think they could need an extra push
    - do all of the above
    http://www.usada.org/substances/prohibited-list/athlete-guide/

Do note the recommended dosage of the manufacturor and WADA...

When will the MPCC act?

Nothing to see here, move along.

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10716
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

* Dark Side Chatbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Recent Posts

Re: favorite cyclists' names by Leadbelly
    [Today at 16:18]

Re: The Academy of Cycling by Leadbelly
    [Today at 11:03]

Re: The Academy of Cycling by Leadbelly
    [Today at 10:45]

Re: Road Nats 2017 by Leadbelly
    [Today at 10:27]

Re: Road Nats 2017 by Not My Circus