Q & A Sessions > VR Questions for Cancellara, Mollema & F.Schleck
collapse

* Q & A Session Chat

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Poll

Which Cancellara Question do you like best?

You may only select up to 3 options.

froome19

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 2048
  • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
VR Questions for Cancellara, Mollema & F.Schleck
« on: January 12, 2015, 22:34 »

Velorooms Questions with Cancellara, Mollema & F.Schleck

As many of you may know this coming Friday, the Trek Factory team will host their presentation for the upcoming season on Twitter which will include a Video Call with the teams top 3 riders: Fabian Cancellara, Bauke Mollema & Frank Schleck.

Velorooms have been offered the unique opportunity to present 3 questions to each of the riders which will be then answered via a conference call.

There are no 100% guarantees, but Trek's press officer has said he will try his best to ensure that the questions are answered.

The way it will work is that members will have the opportunity to post in this thread any questions they may have. The deadline for questions to be posted will be 13:00 CET on Wednesday, after that all members can then vote for the questions which they believe deserve to be asked to the riders and we will come up with the 9 questions to present[1].[2] So start asking..

Q) How are you feeling Fabian?

Fabian: I feel ok, I feel relaxed and comfortable. i feel I have done my job, and I am where I should be now, I had a good training camp in now in Majorca, went to Christmas time with family and stayed together enjoying nice moments in the year. Things are going in the right direction and things in the right place.

Having Steegmans is a step higher, he is challenging me and challenging the team and challenging the classics riders, which is good. I need that and it gives me the possibility of working harder, I tried to work harder and do better than what I am doing. It is good due to young generations of riders, I am getting older, yet I am still somehow young. 

Yet the young people think less and just perform, at my age , there are more things going on around me which make me think more as a team, the cook makes the stuff which is first healthy and is ready day by day with all the ingredients, but I am still challenging him even more. I want even more. i am not just happy. For me 2014 I won Flanders, but it was not enough, I have said it many times, before TDS I hadn't finished any races due to crashes and I didn't really perform in the races I raced, I focused too much on the Worlds. The coming season I won't focus on the Classics and Worlds only. I will focus on all races, like a pyramid, the classics are at the top and going back to base, instead of living just on the high level of big races, which is what will be changing this year.

Also a big difference as after 4 years when I looked back at last year , last year was a year I could breath a bit more, we didn't have any changes and nothing internally, no new sponsors or contracts, lots of things which were different. So going into this year is much easier and quieter and my break at home was fantastic and amazing as allowed me to enjoy so many days at home. I could live at home and lead a normal life, just going out and ride on the bike.

q) Do you feel extra pressure to win Flanders in 2015?

I don't feel anymore pressure, just the pressure I already have put on my shoulders by myself. 2014 was not enough, the way things came, I won which was nice, but honestly I wanted to achieve more. This year I have more of a challenge than pressure, besides me and Tom there is only Slyvain Chavanel who has won Flanders, (sorry Nick Nuyens... actually Nuyens has stopped). So they are all challenging and very hungry. So it is just me and Tom who have won Flanders. (Maybe you need to go on Wikipedia and find the latest winner, but what I remember Actually just Stijn, but he is on my team so it is different) From 2005 (looking at Wikipedia) to 2014 the only one is Stijn asides from me and Tom. So they are all hungry, but I am also hungry. But they are people who are really really hungry, but I am as well so we are on the same level. When you win more and more it is also hard to maintain the success so that is a challenge. But i can complete that challenge because I am ready for it.

q) Vanmarke & GVA pushing hard to win Flanders "Sep said that Fabian wasn't strongest, just smartest. Do you need to train harder to stay ahead of younger guys?

a) Train harder, I am always training hard, but I have train and come up with things using race smart and also be stronger than them. My experience helped me to win, but also to how the race came. I know I eneed to work harder as I worked hard last year, but last year it was not enough so I need to work even harder this year. I am not running behind my schedule and I am in a good schedule so that is actually really good and is why i am good. As running always behind is not good and i have experience at momemt,

q) Who do you think your rivals are in

Sagan changed teams, see if he can handle pressure. See how he can handle a big team and a big salary and big expectation within a big team and so he will have expectations internally within the team itself. and everyone. Sep Vanmarke, but his team looks weak. GVA . Have tonnes of riders everyear. Tom we have, but different situation for him as he soon is turn to be dad, I am really happy for him and situation and hope twins are healthy when they come. Team for tom itself is really strong

We also have Bradley Wiggins coming up. What Bradley will do nobody knows. He is really We know he is going to be competitive for Roubaix, but also maybe for Flanders. We know Bradley when he focused on things can somehow achieve it and he can be one of those contenders which people push off and ignore and i have been suspect to that.

q) Wigggins in PR, is he a serious contenders

I believe he will be a really good contenders not just talk but is really serious things, team sky and bradley are very motivated as it will be his last race for the team yet he is focusing on other things. he prepared last year, came pretty close pressed a lot of people. Roubaix is a special race but Bradley is a serious contender.

q) Is there a golden age for the classics, with Tom, Cancellara, GVA and young contenders Sagan etc.

It is a mix, Of course there is a golden age, it is one of best years normally should have a lot of experience. I think that it depends on the situatio nwhen you see the young riders it is not to say that their not strong enough because they need more strength for the 200 or 250km nothing like that. my case is that everything came in my last years, since 2006 I had a different year that my career went, since 200 been running as a golden age so since 2006 on the highest level with classic results. When you get older you think more, so maybe that is why I am trying to learn from young riders to use and to get rid of all the small questions going to the soigneurs and trek, managers to get rid of all of these and jsut ride the bike and not to run team and to . I can rid of all these so that is why i am still young.

Is Steegmans challenging you in races, training

Steegmans is challenging as he comes from a Belgian team and another philosophy as he needs to get our philosophy as needs how we train for classics. Also we washing goods that he will be ready I am working differently than other teams work with him. as a leader I will give my ebst to implmement him in my setup and last year we saw he got kicked out somehow before Flanders and PR but he ws super strong I heard in the Belgian champs and things didn't go really well, definitely things didn't go well for him of course it is what I see for outside. i haven't spoken much hwo he was riding for quickstep as i need to think about thihgns for myself, of course as he moves up with his condition he can challenge myself and also with him and also Boy Van Poppe we now have 10  riders who can do the classics and so can challenge me and other riders, Gert is not just the guy who comes in and control the breakaways in the first kms in breakaway he will be one of the last riders, he knows a lot in Belgian and a lot of things in general and that is my challenge to grow with him and to understand way he is working and also helping younger riders as he is capable sprinter and he is a badass as leadouts need lots of experience as he has done lots of leadouts where he could win, and he has turned about as he is a leadout, yet I think he can win as well and he will get that opportunity on the team.

Hour record - Ambitions cut short?

Q) When the UCI recently altered the rules for the Hour record, did you ever consider still attempting it under the "Merckx" rules, the way you had been preparing, just to do it?

My worst question, every joutrnalist has asked me this quiestions. I really started this hour and suddently it got changed from UCI in a way where I didn't get this motivation, we see now the current situation is that everyone who wasn't even thinking is saying I am doing it now and I am doing it there. Which is good for the track and gives new exposure for cycling. Yet I am missing something, my motivation after the UCI changed the regulations, and I am focusing on other things, for the last thing I wanted to do was a 100 hour show and I feel everyone wants to do 1 hour show, as I feel a bit said about the past and I think that is has now changed.

I think Wiggins when he does it it keep for a long time, as he is a master on the track and also he won the Worlds so when you put both together he looks very strong. What i am going to do is go for the classics and trhat is what counts. So it is not a plan at all and my plan is about what I am focusing now on, and that is no space i nthe season , as there is still the Tour and the Worlds and I am not sure yet what I will ride yet, what is the best adaptation for the one day races, whether to do the Tour as preparation or just the Vuelta etc. It is not jsut the classics and Tour and Worlds. I want to start my races with more will than just race the race and saying there is tomorrow, but rather look at is at that there is no knowing what will happen tomorrow.

World Championships - experience after worlds of alst year?

A few thigns which I saw, I got a lot of new training and experience which I won't tell as it is secret. I think I did everything right, when everything went my battery was just over in one second. I didn't do a lot wrong in the race, but.. I jsut don't want to focus on this one race as around the Worlds there is a lot of other things. I was too soft in the Vuelta, as I was going to just prepare for the Worlds, but maybe I need to be mroe active and even in the end I will alwayts be a favourite, and maybe I just need to be more proactive which will help during the race.

3 Monuments - or World Champion?

I love those questions as you can't give the answer, of course the 3 will be huge, yet the Worlds will be huge. ye twinning Flanders 3 times will bue huge as no one has ever managed it as for more winning this or that isn't what i am thinking about. I want to simply race and kick ass and that will be that. O fcourse the ambition is there, the classics are my ambition, yet it comes by myself yet my programme can change, it depends what happens. You can never chose one win over the other, as it didn't bring luck.

Race Programme?

I have confirmed Qatar, Oman, Strade bianche, TIrreno, E3, everything like normal, Flanders, Scheldeprijs, Roubaix, what we still need to confirm is the Mallorca races due to a few changes in the race schedule as we were not invited to Dubai! Had to change a few things in our team as a result. Planning with our sport directeurs now to decide our situation and see if everything works and see if I will participate in four days one of in Mallorcae and see what will happen.

Mollema:

Change from Belkin to Trek: How do you feel after your first trianing camp:

I feel really good, it is a new challenge for me, after 7 years in a new team. I felt straight away after I started training in Winter I felt really motivated I think a new challenge does me well. I have already had a enw training camp with team and I've felt it really easy to integrate into team and I've really enjoyed it.

Robert Gesink said happy not to share leadership at Tour?

Wasn't main reason to change teams. I needed a new challenge, last eyars I didn't have the feeling that my progression was as much as I wan'ted it to be and is why I started to think about changing teams, and I already made a decision in APril to change teams and I looked at the teams interested in singing me and once I spoke to luca Guacelrina I had a lot of confidence in the team which looks like a really good team with lots of confidence in the team.

In which areas do you hope to improve with Trek and why? I think most improtant thing for me to improve is general level on uphill levels, need to be able to push an extra 20 watts or so and that will give me an extra push and advantage in a long climb which for me is where I can gain and win time and places in general classificaiton and of course I am working for a new Spanish trainer in team and things I hsve learned in Belkin are still in my mind and I ahve dsicssued new things with my new trained and going well and tt also something to improve and the hour record, Fabian and all the knowledge of time trialling in the team and the bike.

Do you believe podium Tour finish is possible at Tour?

I think it is possible. I have been 6th and 10th at Tour and 4th at Vuelta, I am 28, but I started cycling pretty late and a lot of riders i nthe past have been at their best level at 30s and later, and I thinhk my best years need to stert now and I think training needs to make sure I improve from previous years.

Team expects you to do well, how much pressure do you feel?

There is pressure, as there nice that international team like Trek have signed me to perform
 1. Questions can also be submitted via the hashtag #asktrek
 2. We will limit it to one question per member per rider
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 22:10 by froome19 »
    RIP Keith

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6510
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    1. Fabbles: is TTing definitively over for you now?

2. Mollema: is it fair to say that there is a Dutch media and public obsession with the Tour?

3. Schleck, F: is it hard to keep your racing weight so low for months on end?
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2327
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    So start asking...
    First question: What happened to the image of Schleck at the bottom of the OP?  :P

First real question:

Fabian, when the UCI recently altered the rules for the Hour record, did you ever consider still attempting it under the "Merckx" rules, the way you had been preparing, just to do it?

[/question]

Gerard Vroomen had an interesting exchange with CyclingTips at the time about this.

https://twitter.com/cyclingtips/status/467698216331649026

https://twitter.com/gerardvroomen/status/468138945012711425

And I thought the following point was very valid and interesting

https://twitter.com/c_althaus/status/468299343125299200

"Then we'd know the difference between a traditional and an aero bike."
    Indeed. I think that would be fascinating. Especially in light of the fact that The Hour Record no longer seems like the soul-destroying endeavor as described originally by Merckx himself. So far, it just seems like not much more than a hard day at the track. Attempting The Hour on both a road and track bike (with sufficient days or weeks rest in between, obviously) no longer seems like such a far-fetched idea. I suppose that is really what I would like to ask Fabian about.  :)

Then this  :-x

https://twitter.com/gerardvroomen/status/468139390993051648

:shh

:P
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3886
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    Fabian - will you marry me?

(oh - you are married .... well ... so am I technically so I guess that wouldnt work out  :lol )

oh well, on to the questions then ...

- do you think you will give the Ardennes a go?  winning all 5 monuments would be pretty fitting

- how do you feel about Tony Martin having nearly as many TT's world titles as you.  If he continues to focus on it, he will match your 4, and maybe go past.  Does that give you an incentive to win maybe 1 more so its that bit further out of reach?

- are you going to go for the TT at the Olympics in Rio?
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 6354
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    Bauke - Be bold and tell us where you are going to get your first victory in 2015

Frank - Will you be riding in any of the US stage races this year?

Fabian - Have you been giving any TT tips to Bauke?  :P
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10904
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Fabian many races seem from the outside easy or easier to read just looking at profile, The classics are not, how do you and the team plan a race day? Is the change in situation and therefore plans once the race is on controlled mostly by you or the DS in the car?

Fränk What did you and Andy say to Evans that day on the Alpe with Contador up the road

Bauke now that you have moved away, do you think the Dutch program for young riders is a good one, as in the riders seems to be treated as stars at a young age, there are many times future Dutch stars not making the big next step or taking a long time doing it, should it be more a school of hard knocks type of thing?
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 11:03 by just some guy »
    Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

DJW

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 868
    • Awards: Rio Olympics Prediction Champ
    Cancellara - Is there anything "new" you still feel you have to achieve, such as winning each of the Monuments at least once, or are you more focused on winning Flanders / Roubaix again?

Mollema - If you could pick one element or member of the Trek team which you think will help you achieve more victories in 2015, who or what would it be?

Schleck - How will your approach change now that Andy is no longer in the team? Are there other members of the team who you can form similarly strong partnerships with?
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    Not much time left to put forward questions.. Just over 12 hours remaining.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    My questions:

Cancellara: How has your approach to training changed and evolved under your different team managers as a result of the gradual evolution of the science behind the sport, and as your focus has moved away from Time Trialling and more to the Classics?

Mollema: You have focused on the Tour de France for a number of years now, do you think that perhaps it may be time to try a different approach and compete at the Giro (and Vuelta) and try to establish yourself as a top Grand Tour contender there before returning to the Tour?

F.Schleck: How did you feel the peloton treated after you returned from your doping ban? Were riders scornful of someone who they perceived as a cheat, or did they appreciate that you had served your time and was looking forward to the future?
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 6354
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    I can't see them wanting to talk about doping bans at the team presentation.    :D
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 10865
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    Cancellara: Aldo Sassi once said you had the potential to win the Tour de France. Is that something you ever considered to aim for?

Mollema: After some good results in recent years, in the 2nd part of the 2014 season you seemed to struggle a lot in the time trials. Is that something that influenced your decision to sign for Trek, and do you expect the results to improve again? And can someone like Fabian help with this development, or does he keep all the secrets to himself?

F. Schleck: So far you have won the Luxembourgian Championship every third year, in 2005, 2008, 2011 and 2014. Do you still consider to start the race this year?
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 12:01 by search »
    "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

cyclingmad1

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 5
    Schleck :  What will you miss most about not racign with Andy

Fabs : How well do you think Wiggo can do in PR...Who do you feel is your biggest competition in that race

Mollema : How weell realistically can you do in the Tour ...do you think it may not be better to target stage wins or GC on another GT

H Zubeldia : Do you feel that your great record of top GT placings has flown under the radar and you don't get the acclaim you deserve
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10904
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    via Twitter/ cafe Roubiax to Fabian

If he could turn back time, would he change something in his career, in the way he did things? If so, what would it be and why?
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 4177
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 20182017 TDF Prediction ChampKeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    F. Schleck: So far you have won the Luxembourgian Championship every third year, in 2005, 2008, 2011 and 2014. Do you still consider to start the race this year?

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith
    RIP krebs

Recent Topics