collapse

Havetts

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 1056
  • Awards: Fanboy of 2016Doper Shoot Out 2013
Re: Bruyneel
« Reply #90 on: April 22, 2014, 10:02 »
I am a Belgian national and I reside in the United Kingdom. I have never been a member of USA Cycling, nor any other national governing body of sport based in the United States. I have never signed any document or agreement granting USADA or the AAA any authority over my livelihood or me. None of the anti-doping rule violations alleged by USADA are said to have occurred on US soil. It simply cannot be correct or acceptable that USADA - a US organization - is freely able to determine the livelihood of any individual that it chooses to prosecute, without boundary and without oversight.

He has a point there. International law states that the lawsuit and the applicable law has to be either from the country the offense was committed or the country the person was residenced in. So I think he has a point of saying that USADA doesnt have jurisdiction to suspend him worldwide.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3500
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #91 on: April 22, 2014, 10:03 »
    He has a point about jurisdiction - it is certainly unusual that USADA is issuing sanctions against him ... but that is the process.  the UCI does not actually issue sanctions, it has no anti-doping body of its own ... and USADA is the agency in this case that had all the evidence - as well as the fact that he committed the offences whilst working for an Amercian based and registered team.   

As for the rest of what Johan said - what a crock of Sh**!!!

He gets 10 years for what HE did.  That other people have not been sanctioned for what they did is not good, but it does not lessen his offences any.  If he co operated, they might sanction others and stamp out the "doping as a fact of life" in cycling.

And as for the leaks/manner of the proceedure - another crock.  :fp
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1396
    « Reply #92 on: April 22, 2014, 10:58 »
    I can't wait to see the full details of the case published which USADA are promising.

Bruyneel's public defence seems to be:

1) Jurisdiction - which the panel has rejected

2) Scapegoat - why only him banned when loads of other managers were playing the same crooked game.

The irony is that of Bruyneel really doesn't want to be a scapegoat, he should voluntarily walk into CIRC and tell them everything he knows about other managers in the sports (Riis, Vinykourov and Ekimov) and the preparatore''s still in the sport.

But I doubt he will make this bold step.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1721
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #93 on: April 22, 2014, 11:00 »
     Its' all a bit academic, isn't it?
     Since the USADA investigation broke, it seems to me that he has become unemployable within pro cycling.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

benotti69

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 215
    « Reply #94 on: April 22, 2014, 15:08 »
    Its' all a bit academic, isn't it?
     Since the USADA investigation broke, it seems to me that he has become unemployable within pro cycling.

Didn't stop Ferrari working, being banned.

What is to stop Bruyneel personally managing riders?

• ReplyReply
  • "ahaha, ever had the feeling you been cheated?" JL SF Jan'78

jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 750
    • End of season blues...
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #95 on: April 22, 2014, 15:53 »
    Feels quite good to see the cheat wriggling and looking for loopholes.

:s

He would be less of a waster if he 'fessed up in my opinion.
  • ReplyReply
  • The fens are just West West Flanders really...

Race Radio

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 312
    « Reply #96 on: April 22, 2014, 21:16 »
    That Bruyneel based his entire case on jurisdiction is just absurd. This point has been settled over and over. The Swiss gave Germany’s Jan Ullrich a ban, Italy’s CONI caught Spaniard Alejandro Valverde, French anti-doping agency (AFLD) banned German resident Stefan Schumacher

The Arbitrators made it clear he is wrong

Mr. Bruyneel applied for and received a UCI license through his national federation in Belgium every year since 2005. As a license-holder, the UCI ADR therefore apply to him under Article 1. It was further found that he has expressly consented to the rules and regulations of the UCI, including the UCI ADR. Article 11 of the UCI ADR provides that where no sample collection is involved and an anti-doping violation is involved which is discovered by a national anti-doping organization involving a license holder who is not a national, resident, license holder or member of a sports organization of that nation, resolution of the violation shall be administered by and under the rules of that national anti-doping organization. USADA is the anti-doping organization that discovered the alleged anti-doping violations by Mr. Bruyneel. The Panel found that, as a result, jurisdiction exists for USADA to proceed to prosecute the anti-doping violation charges against Mr. Bruyneel.

Armstrong also lost on this point in his Federal case
  • ReplyReply
  • Pro Cycling is like sausage, I love it but I don't want to know how it is made.

KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #97 on: April 22, 2014, 21:41 »
    Didn't stop Ferrari working, being banned.

What is to stop Bruyneel personally managing riders?

Don't agents need licenses from the uci?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6058
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #98 on: April 22, 2014, 22:09 »
    Don't agents need licenses from the uci?
    Yes, in theory.
    I'd even say "yes, in practice" - but that didn't stop Baden Cooke from getting Papy Horner a ride in January, armed with nothing more than a mobile phone and contacts in the cycling world. No UCI license back then (I think he got one since - or is planning to).
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1904
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #99 on: April 23, 2014, 02:21 »
    http://www.johanbruyneel.com/blog/article/statement-johan-bruyneel-regarding-aaa-decision
    I'm only just absorbing this stuff now. Bit late, but so be it.

This is comical. Really. I had expected much more from Bruyneel than this weak retort. Is that all he's got? If so, then he ain't got nothin'.

Nor do I dispute that doping was a fact of life in the peloton for a considerable period of time
    Funny, I was pretty sure that he had spent a "considerable period of time" denying just that.

There is clearly something wrong with a system that allows only six individuals to be punished as retribution for the sins of an era.
    First of all, who says there're finished punishing people?
    Secondly, his argument is absurd. Can't punish all the criminals in the world so why punish any of them?

Did the US Postal team really operate “the most sophisticated, professional and successful doping program that sport has ever seen”?
    Gee, Wally, I don't know. Did they? Whether true or not, how would that vindicate Bruyneel in any way, or lessen his own transgressions? (I'll return to his specific question)

Jurisdiction, blah blah blah...
    I am a Belgian national and I reside in the United Kingdom.
    Not sure how his current place of residence has anything to do with anything. What if Lance had recently moved to Tuva? Would that change anything?

His whole "poor me, look what USADA did to me" tantrum should be beneath even his dignity. Please. Give it a rest, Johan.

Re: “the most sophisticated, professional and successful doping program that sport has ever seen”

This is worth hammering out once and for all, as it gets thrown back and forth, with varying degrees of effectiveness, by both sides of the debate. What is the actual intended meaning of that quote? Particularly the use of the word "that"? Does it mean "that" sport, as in "the sport of cycling"? If so, the correct usage would probably be to say, "that that sport has even seen."

Or does it mean, "that sport has ever seen" as if to say, "than any sport has ever seen"? Because if the latter, then yes, it is a stretch, and Armstrong's comparison to the East German's is a valid one (that is to say that the US Postal scheme was not as sophisticated as the East German's in terms of the totality of sports history).

I need to track down the original usage of this by USADA...
  • ReplyReply

• mew

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 674
    • craig walsh always with us
    « Reply #100 on: April 23, 2014, 03:03 »
    Bruyneel is meh
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #101 on: April 23, 2014, 03:35 »
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/23/sports/cycling/a-double-standard-in-doping-punishments.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0

When your career is derailed by Hincapie, Danielson and Leipheimer, I'd say that's worthy of an award all by itself.  :lol

Justice served.  :s
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10823
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #103 on: April 23, 2014, 15:40 »
    I think this was the bit about Ballan that upset Och:

BMC will no doubt be buoyed by their ride in Amstel. Greg Van Avermaet moved into a late move and Samuel Sanchez drew out Gilbert's opposition before the Belgian made his race winning move. According to Peiper, Sanchez has been instrumental since his late move to the team this year. He signed for the team after Alessandro Ballan was fired due to a doping suspension.

"The great thing in our favour is that we have Sanchez onboard. He's turned us from a great team into a super team. If you have a leader like Phil and then a back-up like Samuel, it can be almost perfect."

So what is Och upset about:
    1) Ballan was fired due to dpoing
    2) BMC are a stronger team with Sanchez? (who by the way was named as a witness for Pepe Marti, but the evidence was no allowed as he didn't turn up to the hearing)
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #104 on: April 23, 2014, 18:00 »
    Matt White, such a deep, introspective sort. Or not (where is a good roll eyes emoticon?)

Although few would extend much in the way of sympathy towards Bruyneel and Armstrong, White made it clear that “the longer the USADA investigation goes on it just proves that it was all about bringing down one team and one group of people.”

“Now that Lance and Johan have been brought down those people just want to forget about it. People just want to forget about it.”
    Where is it stated that USADA is done pursuing others? It would only make sense to start at the top. That's what they have done...with patience. Which "people" just want to forget about it? And what is it they supposedly want to forget about?

Boo hoo for Lance and Johan. I love how attitude from the pros in the aftermath of all this is, essentially, "Yeah, of course we were all doped, all the time. Duh! Now that the "secret" is out, just leave us alone."

Great way forward.

Professional athletes are a rare breed. Send 'em to all to work the coal mines for a few years. Might provide a useful perspective on things.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9263
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #105 on: May 17, 2015, 13:01 »
    A lovely quote by the man himself from a feature about eastern European cyclists in CycleSport:

"I remember going across to the 1999 Tour of Britain to talk about a contract with Raimondas Rumsas," recalls Bruyneel, who was looking to strengthen his US Postal squad. "He was riding for a small Polish team at the time, Mroz, and I made him what I thought was a decent offer - around 200000$ - and he turned it down flat, saying it was not enough. So those guys worked out their worth quickly enough. In light of what happened in 2002, I suppose you could say we were lucky that he ended up going to Fassa Bortolo and Lampre."

:lol :fp

yeh, fortunately that dirty pr*ck didn't end up at the clean team that is US Postal :lol
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6058
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3500
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #107 on: September 25, 2015, 00:27 »
    oh lord

WADA and UCI do tend to maket hings much harder for themselves
  • ReplyReply

• stereojet

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 298
    • I'm still learning the ropes
    « Reply #108 on: September 25, 2015, 08:35 »
    Is there a facepalm smileythingy?
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #109 on: September 25, 2015, 08:37 »
    Is there a facepalm smileythingy?

:fp

: fp no gap
  • ReplyReply

• stereojet

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 298
    • I'm still learning the ropes
    « Reply #110 on: September 25, 2015, 08:39 »
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

* Dark Side Chatbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.