collapse

lancasterke

• Hot Prospect
  • Liked: 467
  • Awards: Thread of the year 2015
Re: what's your next purchase ?
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2015, 13:19 »
I've been looking at the pro carbon too, but probably the SRAM Rival version.

One thing to note is that PX have been doing SRAM deals for quite a while now, whereas this time last year it was all Shimano so I wouldn't be at all surprised if packages and relative prices were to change before long.

I've currently got a pro carbon with dura ace (from about 7 years ago) really love that bike. I spoke to them recently and they said they'd had some probem s with ultegra reliability (but i think the truth is price related, when they get a bargain on a job lot of stuff they then only sell that until they're all out)
  • ReplyReply

• Kiwirider

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 331
    « Reply #31 on: April 22, 2015, 14:46 »
    I spoke to them recently and they said they'd had some probem s with ultegra reliability (but i think the truth is price related, when they get a bargain on a job lot of stuff they then only sell that until they're all out)
    Mate of mine who works in a bike shop has made the same comments about Ultegra and 105. Basic impression is that they've cheapened out on some of the materials in crucial functional parts, hence the drop in reliability. Not helped by the fact that they've had some issues with crud getting into the levers ever since they went to "aero cables".
  • ReplyReply

• Kiwirider

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #32 on: April 22, 2015, 14:53 »
    However, I doubt whether any of the things that affect my choice would affect yours. Which is a very long-winded way of saying the choice is personal and there is no 'better' just a personal basket of pros and cons at each price point.

Which is true, except for one qualifier - that Campag is and always be the best groupset to put on any road style bike!!!  :D :D :D :D

Seriously, your comments are right ... and given that there are always questions coming on the board about whether groupset X or Y is the way to go, I wonder if we can't find some way of building a thread that has a database of user comments on the different gruppos? We'd have to run a rule that it is only observations from users - ie., I don't get to bag SPAM road groupsets for being what I consider to be unreliable, awkwardly designed crap because I've not got them on my bikes.
    (And to be fair - I have had over 10 years of flawless performance from my X.0 on my MTB ...)

Thoughts??
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5908
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #33 on: April 22, 2015, 19:05 »
    Which is true, except for one qualifier - that Campag is and always be the best groupset to put on any road style bike!!!  :D :D :D :D
    Quoted for the truth!!! :cool :cool :cool

Seriously, your comments are right ... and given that there are always questions coming on the board about whether groupset X or Y is the way to go, I wonder if we can't find some way of building a thread that has a database of user comments on the different gruppos? We'd have to run a rule that it is only observations from users - ie., I don't get to bag SPAM road groupsets for being what I consider to be unreliable, awkwardly designed crap because I've not got them on my bikes.
    (And to be fair - I have had over 10 years of flawless performance from my X.0 on my MTB ...)

Thoughts??
    I'm in favour of this. And that even though it means that I can only praise Campagnolo to the heavens, and say that the cheapest groupset available (in my case, Shimano Sora[1]) isn't the way to go - who knew? :D
     1. That was what I had on my very first road bike, and even completely inexperienced me noticed the world of difference when I exchanged it (and a wad of cash) for my current bike after less than three months. The upside is that it accustomed me to the Campagnolo shifting mechanism, which of course is the only way a shifting mechanism should ever be designed.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 720
    • Getting ready for the Artic Race of Norway...
      • Fendrien

jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #35 on: April 29, 2015, 15:57 »
    The Monton Belgian style polo is down to about 13 EUR with small delivery charge if anyone was genuinely interested :)
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #36 on: September 03, 2015, 18:19 »
    Borrowed a quote from another thread that jogged my memory:

Nice. Just add one of those disposable clip on rear fenders and you've got a great all weather, all round bike.

I think the best reason to fit mudguards (fenders) is for the sake of one's ride buddies, and I almost always ride solo.

So my question is this: has anyone - or does anyone know someone who has - used one of these 'ass savers'? They seem cool (and cheap and no-maintenance) for keeping oneself a bit drier on a wet day.

• ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

Joelsim

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1275
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015Current leader, 2015-17 Emerging Riders CQ game
    « Reply #37 on: September 03, 2015, 19:32 »
    I have one, it's good. Doesn't stop your feet getting soaked though ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Road Captain
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015Current leader, 2015-17 Emerging Riders CQ game
    « Reply #38 on: September 03, 2015, 19:38 »
    I want a funky saddle for my black Boardman. Red, grey or white. Comfortable rather than racy so more padding.

It's for short journeys and off-road pootling.

Any suggestions please?
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #39 on: September 03, 2015, 20:42 »
    I want a funky saddle for my black Boardman. Red, grey or white. Comfortable rather than racy so more padding.

Any suggestions please?

Not sure about non-racing saddles. If colour is important though, perhaps visit http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cycle/saddles-seat-posts/ and select from the colour swatch.
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Road Captain
      • Music To Your Ears
    « Reply #40 on: September 03, 2015, 21:12 »
    Soft and forgiving but not too soft or forgiving is what I want. Good for gravel and dirt tracks but also good if I want to do a 30 miler once every so often. The Boardman saddle isn't bad, I just fancy a new one which isn't black. Was wondering if anyone had tried the Selle Italia X1 X-Cross or similar rather than the hard as nails racing saddles
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 21:45 by Joelsim »

L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #41 on: September 04, 2015, 07:46 »
    Soft and forgiving but not too soft or forgiving is what I want. Good for gravel and dirt tracks but also good if I want to do a 30 miler once every so often. The Boardman saddle isn't bad, I just fancy a new one which isn't black. Was wondering if anyone had tried the Selle Italia X1 X-Cross or similar rather than the hard as nails racing saddles

Oddly enough, I find Selle Italia saddles a bit soft. My Wilier has one and I still haven't gotten quite used to it. I have looked at several models in recent times because of that: I wanted to see if others in the range were the same. They're not.

The Fizik on my Look is definitely the hardest saddle I've ever ridden! :lol
  • ReplyReply

• stereojet

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 298
    • I'm still learning the ropes
    « Reply #42 on: September 04, 2015, 09:23 »
    I've used the Selle Italia C2 for a while and really like it. Have a white one with a cutout (can't remember the model at the mo) that isn't quite doing it for me though.
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Road Captain
      • Music To Your Ears
    « Reply #43 on: September 04, 2015, 11:07 »
    I had a Fizik Gobi on a Bianchi Pista via Brera steel single-speed until last year which was pretty hard. I also had a C2 which was like rock, so got rid of it very quickly.

Just bought the X-Cross anyway, should arrive in the next few days, supposed to have extra padding and be suitable for cross country so should in theory be perfect.

You see I don't wear my bibs when I'm pootling or doing my catsitting, so needs to be a bit more appropriate.

• ReplyReply

• stereojet

• 2nd Year Pro
    « Reply #44 on: September 04, 2015, 11:22 »

You see I don't wear my bibs when I'm pootling or doing my catsitting, so needs to be a bit more appropriate.

Nor me. I guess I have a rock-hard bum, because I find the C2 very comfy.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #45 on: September 04, 2015, 12:57 »
    Nor me. I guess I have a rock-hard bum, because I find the C2 very comfy.

I read somewhere that, to a point (although hopefully not literally), the firmer the saddle the more comfortable it will be. I wonder if that's true.
  • ReplyReply

• stereojet

• 2nd Year Pro
    « Reply #46 on: September 04, 2015, 15:08 »
    That also depends on whether you've got the right width. A firm saddle that doesn't rest on your sitbones would be a right, er, pain in the arse....
  • ReplyReply

• Kiwirider

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #47 on: September 04, 2015, 17:19 »
    I read somewhere that, to a point (although hopefully not literally), the firmer the saddle the more comfortable it will be. I wonder if that's true.
    Got nothing to compare with on real bikes - since I always use relatively firm saddles anyhow (Rolls, Flite or more recently Ritchey WCS are the only saddles I've ever used).

That said, I do find the sofas padded, wide saddles that they put on the spin bikes in the gym at work to be bloody horrible! Takes me nearly half way through my first week of swing before I can ride without cramping my arse ... (Width also makes for chaffed inner thighs...) :S :S :S
  • ReplyReply

• Kiwirider

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #48 on: September 04, 2015, 17:44 »
    Borrowed a quote from another thread that jogged my memory:

I think the best reason to fit mudguards (fenders) is for the sake of one's ride buddies, and I almost always ride solo.

Coming from a part of the world that makes where you live look about as dry as the middle of the Sahara, I'd honestly say that, anyone who  thinks that they want to fit mudguards/fenders to their bike, doesn't actually need them.

The reason I say that is that, in a really wet part of the world (like the entire western side of NZ) statistically it rains every second day, year round and you can get days of rain in any month that has a vowel in it' s name.

In that environment, you quickly get to the point where you either have mudguards on year round - which is seriously uncool in summer - or you just get used to getting wet and getting a face full of "Belgian toothpaste" ...
    And in saying that, my home town was a service town for the dairy industry ... with the expected result in terms of road surfaces where we trained ... so yes, I am fully aware of the potential unpleasantness of riding in a group without mudguards ...  :o

So, I'd say - save the money and put it to something worthwhile - like an upgrade from Chorus to Super Record (mechanical, of course) ...  :cool ;)

The only exception that I'd make to that "rule" is one from where I now live.

Mudguards - or I guess I should call them fenders, since I'm talking about Canada - are essential in the snow, on the front wheel at least. A long guard, preferably with a mudflap drastically reduces how much snow, salt, grit and general crud accumulates on your chainrings, cranks and brackets - which stops freeze up and helps to keep the number of chain changes over winter to a minimum. A rear one may stops a bit of accumulation on the frame, which stops the salt attacking the frame.

• ReplyReply

• irondan

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 8
    « Reply #49 on: September 04, 2015, 18:15 »

Any suggestions please?
    I bought a Sella SMP Lite 109 for my fat ass and love it. I love the comfort that this particular design gives me. Sella has the same design with more padding in other models too. It's definately worth testing. imo  :cool
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #50 on: September 04, 2015, 18:30 »
    ... getting a face full of "Belgian toothpaste" ...

A fascinating post, topped off by this, of which I had never heard until now! :lol :P
  • ReplyReply

• Kiwirider

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #51 on: September 04, 2015, 19:21 »
    A fascinating post, topped off by this, of which I had never heard until now! :lol :P

As I have been told on many an occasion, I'm in my element when I'm talking (about) sh*t ...   :cool :cool :cool

;)
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Road Captain
      • Music To Your Ears
    « Reply #52 on: September 04, 2015, 20:38 »
    I bought a Sella SMP Lite 109 for my fat ass and love it. I love the comfort that this particular design gives me. Sella has the same design with more padding in other models too. It's definately worth testing. imo  :cool

Looks very nice indeed, but then I saw the price :0

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5908
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #53 on: September 07, 2015, 22:47 »
    So my question is this: has anyone - or does anyone know someone who has - used one of these 'ass savers'? They seem cool (and cheap and no-maintenance) for keeping oneself a bit drier on a wet day.
    I have one, haven't installed it yet though. Looks like a good concept though: If, like me, you can get one thrown at you for free, take it! ;)
  • ReplyReply

• jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #54 on: September 08, 2015, 11:18 »
    I have one.

Ideal for use on your own and not getting a line up the back of your jersey, not so good in the group ride.
  • ReplyReply

• irondan

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 8
    « Reply #55 on: September 09, 2015, 00:27 »
    Looks very nice indeed, but then I saw the price :0
    Yes, they're very expensive seats. I was having some numbness and other "issues" with my old seat so the money I spent to alleviate these problems was well worth it to me.  ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Russell Martin

• Coach Potato
    • Liked: 1
    « Reply #56 on: July 06, 2017, 13:18 »
    I need a better saddle. It takes me about 14 days for my butt to adjust to my bike every spring after not riding because of winter.
  • ReplyReply
  • I play only for real money. I had much luck playing online with free spins at pokiestar.com. It's because I know all ins and outs of the world of online pokies. Those pokies are my salvation!

jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #57 on: July 24, 2017, 13:25 »
    Got another Prologo Kappa from P-X in the sale the other week. Lovely pad.

In other news, does anyone run Gator Skinz and are they a worthwhile winter tyre?
  • ReplyReply

•