collapse

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1910
  • Awards: Post of the year 2015
General Questions
« on: March 02, 2015, 23:59 »
I couldn't find an appropriate thread for this, but if someone (a mod) has a better idea, please move this to the appropriate location.

But maybe a thread like this could be useful?

Anyway, my question is this:
Could we merge the Hour Records threads (Men's and Women's) into one?

The points I have been making are well suited to both, but I really don't want to have to duplicate my posts in each.

Thoughts?
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3512
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    Re: General Questions
    « Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 00:55 »
    sure I can do that if people want it   
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10833
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 05:16 »
    On the hour I don't think they should merge.

it started as a discussion on if and when females should go for it, and in the mens that would be lost, sure now there might be some double up posts, but for people interested in womens specific stuffit works better, we have it featured at the moment.

mix them and the womens discussion will get lost, 45 mens post and 2 womens 40 mens and 1 womens specific reduces the flow of the womens, yes it might be a slow burner and yes important to expand the fan base but I think it might get lost if we merge the threads ,  imho
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2029
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 11:23 »
    Yep, I have to agree with JSG on that point.

Whilst there are a lot of points which are generic to both discussions, keeping it specific to each individual hour record I think would make stuff a lot clearer and easier to access.

Good thread   :)
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3364
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 17:21 »
    im either way..
    ive spent a lot of the last two weeks updating with someone else the hour record wiki page to give women equal billing, and in some ways i think a merged thread means the womens stuff gets talked about rather than putting it in a dedicated place, but on the other hand, i think seperate topics for each as there are seperate mens and womens sections.

so i have no opinion.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3256
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 19:40 »
    Or do you have two opinions?

I think those are two different scenarios, though. On Wikipedia, if you don't have all the records together, anything other than the men's will gather metaphorical dust.

Here, however, we championne (that's a good bit of autocorrect) women's cycling, so I think it's right and proper to give it it's own thread.
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1910
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 13:50 »
    OK, so then what about discussions (that I was trying to provoke) regarding the scheduling of the Hour attempts, and how best to avoid conflicts with other races? It's been frustrating to try and follow an attempt on the track when it coincides with the final 20k or so of another race. (I mention this only as an example, not as attempt to have that conversation here, in this thread).

So which thread does that go into, the men's or women's? It has happened on both sides of the gender fence but the recent discussion of this was in the women's thread. Do I need to post the exact same thing again in the men's thread? It's a topic that applies equally to both and yet has nothing to do with gender.

Or do we need another, separate thread about The Hour for such topics?  :S

This is where I think segregation of the two fails. Massively.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 16:10 by Drummer Boy »

hiero

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 893
    « Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 22:19 »
    Not sure where to put this - but I notice that my sig no longer appears at the bottom of recent posts. Has something gone awry? It can't be the sig itself is offensive - it's hardly that - unless somebody mistranslated - but its so simple, I don't see how it could be mistranslated if you use google or the like. Its not exactly Promethean, eh?

So, how about it? Anybody know what's up with the sigs?
  • ReplyReply
  • Eeyore sez . . .

ciranda

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 155
    « Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 22:24 »
    I can see /Ubi est ignis/ under your post when not logged in and when logged in.

• ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9557
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 22:29 »
    signatures don't seem to be visible in the final post of a thread for whatever reason - apart from that they are. That's the case for me at least

edit: or maybe not, in the Fancy Bear thread for example I can't see them at all
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6256
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 22:31 »
    Not sure where to put this - but I notice that my sig no longer appears at the bottom of recent posts. Has something gone awry? It can't be the sig itself is offensive - it's hardly that - unless somebody mistranslated - but its so simple, I don't see how it could be mistranslated if you use google or the like. Its not exactly Promethean, eh?

So, how about it? Anybody know what's up with the sigs?
    As default, a signature will appear under a post of yours only once per page.
    So, if you write a post that appears on e.g. page 3 of a thread, then later write another post that appears on the same page, your signature will only show under the first post.

I think this can be changed individually somewhere in your settings, but I'm not sure.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

hiero

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 893
    « Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 02:25 »
    I can see /Ubi est ignis/ under your post when not logged in and when logged in.

Yup, thats it. Something from my 1st year Latin class oh so many decades ago. "Where is the fire?"
  • ReplyReply

•