collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 10759
  • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Servais Knavendish

• 2nd Year Pro
  • Liked: 297
Trying not to be too partisan about this - but whilst velodromes are expensive, the regeneration of the area in and around the Chris Hoy velodrome in Glasgow is a fantastic games legacy, whilst the Stratford velodrome is clearly another positive success story; and RSA cycling needs a pick me up...

That said the games have I think had only one bidder for 2014 / 18 / & 22; so no real pressure on Durban or RSA to over commit.  What is more whilst the track meet was good entertainment, only 2 of the 39 track medals were claimed outside of Britain, Aus or NZ, with those down under highly dominant!  So perhaps not the greatest depth of competition, and not really globally missed!

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5856
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Trying not to be too partisan about this - but whilst velodromes are expensive, the regeneration of the area in and around the Chris Hoy velodrome in Glasgow is a fantastic games legacy, whilst the Stratford velodrome is clearly another positive success story; and RSA cycling needs a pick me up...
    Definitely!
    There is one indoor track in Cape Town, I think (plus at least one outdoor track), but that's nothing for a country that big.

Of course velodromes are expensive, though. Very expensive.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3458
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/news/58166/durban-dumps-track-cycling-from-comm-games-bid

Durban, the only entrant in the race to host the 2022 Commonwealth Games, has submitted a bid that does not include track cycling.

If the city gets the nod from the Commonwealth Games Federation, it will be the first time since 1934 that the multidisciplinary event would not be included.

According to Inside the Games, the cost of building a new velodrome is the main reason behind track's omission from Durban's bid.

Road cycling and mountain biking are on the proposed programme of events.

while I understand that it is expensive to build a new velodrome ...  just dumping a whole sport from the games cant be good
  • ReplyReply

• Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 848
    It's sad, but the loss of track cycling is a symptom of wider problems with the Commonwealth Games.
  • ReplyReply

•