collapse

ram

Re: Qhubeka- winning in a place near you
« Reply #120 on: June 28, 2012, 03:15 »
Tuart, the closest I could find.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mtn-qhubeka-targets-2015-tour-de-france

In accordance with UCI rules, the team is mainly composed of South African riders. Ryder has, however, a more demanding internal policy: "between 50 and 60% of the athletes must be black African riders." For this reason, he is investing money in the development of some of the raw talents from Sub-Saharan countries.

The 50% black African roster meant some of riders had to leave the team last year, like Dilan Girdlestone and James Tennent, respectively third overall and stage winner in the Tour of Rwanda, a very mountainous 2.2 race.

I remember reading about it somewhere else though.
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 483
    • Awards: Velogames Giro Winner 2014
    « Reply #121 on: June 28, 2012, 03:22 »
    Gee, wanting to develop black African talent is one thing but yeah you're right this is another. And what if he gets his wish for the TDF? People were complaining about Katusha before, imagine this...
  • ReplyReply
  • 2014 Velorooms Giro d'Italia Velogames Winner

DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 359
    « Reply #122 on: June 28, 2012, 03:26 »
    Part of the point is meant to be to encourage and ensure there are chances for riders that would not have had chances in the past and may not have the same opportunities elsewhere

it is too easy to look at the policies in South African sport now and say it is not fair but you have consider them in the context of history
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #123 on: June 28, 2012, 03:29 »
    Sure, and affirmative measures definitely need to be taken to develop South African talent, but why does it apply for all African nations? It's still a bit unfair for South Africans like Tennent.

Also, won't it be most effective for these measure to be at the domestic level?
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    « Reply #124 on: June 28, 2012, 03:32 »
    I think they like to distinguish themselves as African rather than south african

partly due to other stuff they do but also so they can claim to be different from say Barloworld
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    « Reply #125 on: June 28, 2012, 08:13 »
    oh and another photo of their big night showing one of their qhubeka bikes

• ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #126 on: July 06, 2012, 11:07 »
    Their telly ad

• ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #127 on: July 11, 2012, 15:23 »
    Been a bit quiet round these parts-
    http://tasolgt.co.za/2012/07/11/maree-makes-it-3-from-5-for-tasol/

Tasol having a mentalist time.
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    « Reply #128 on: July 19, 2012, 11:45 »
    MTN doing what sounds like a pro am race this weekend. Bit of a warm up before they head back to Europe

http://www.qhubeka.org/2012/2012/07/jock-cycle-classic-lures-mtn-qhubeka/
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #129 on: July 19, 2012, 13:49 »
    One of the bigger pro am races around in South Africa. Should have some coverage.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #130 on: July 25, 2012, 02:52 »

Lynette Burger won the overall Elite women’s title at the 2012 Jock Cycle Tour in Barberton on Saturday.

Lynette Burger continued her run of peak form when she won the overall Elite women’s title at the 2012 Best Med Jock Cycle Tour in Barberton on Saturday.

Widely considered South Africa’s toughest one-day race, ‘The Jock’, now run over three stages, totaling 153km, is a coveted race on the South African professional race calendar. And for Burger, who races for the Toyota CSA Academy team, it turned into a challenge both on and off the bike, but ultimately gave the 31-year-old her first ever win in the iconic race.

Once again, the women raced with the 50-plus veteran men. The first stage, a 48km leg from Barberton to Nelspruit, saw MTN Qhubeka’s An-Li Pretorius and Karien Alberts make a strong start, claiming first and second places respectively. Burger, who was dropped on the famous ‘Hilltop’ climb, just failed to reach the lead group by the finish, but managed to claim third place, a few seconds adrift.

The demanding second stage, a 58km haul from Nelspruit to Kaapmuiden over the testing ‘Boulders’ climb saw the field splinter dramatically. An eager Pretorius raced aggressively from the start and only Burger and Lee-Zaan Henrichsen (EOH) were able to stay in contact with her. Pretorius then moved clear over the top of Boulders and it required a hard effort for Burger to rejoin the leading group just before the start of the descent.
    “None of the 50+ men wanted to help me get back, not making it easy at all but I managed to claw my way back to the front and got back on just before the descent. And I immediately attacked on the first corner of the descent,” explained Burger.

“I am very comfortable going downhill especially with loads of corners, so I managed to open a gap and stayed away till the finish, making up for the time I lost on the first stage and gaining a couple of seconds,” added Burger.

Pretorius finished the stage in second place and Henrichsen was third.

The final stage, a 53km leg from Kaapmuiden to Barberton, was started under a cloud of confusion. The race officials had Pretorius as the overall leader by five seconds over Burger on elapsed time. But according to Burger’s team manager, David Pieterse, it was Burger who should have been leading into the final stage.
    Alberts won the final leg ahead of Burger with Pretorius in third, giving MTN Qhubeka their second stage win. But it was Burger who was declared the overall winner. Once the officials had examined the finish line camera footage of Stage 2 – at the request of Burger – they determined that Toyota CSA Academy rider had actually won the overall title from Pretorius by two seconds.

“I guess over three stages and 153km, two seconds is like a couple of metres, but a win is a win. I am so happy, I’ve always dreamed about winning The Jock but never thought that it was possible. I guess anything is possible as long as you set your mind to it,” smiled an elated Burger, who will now focus on winning a medal at the Masters World Championships in Pietermaritzburg next month in the 30-34 age category.

http://www.thehubsa.co.za/forum/topic/114958-jock-cycle-classic/page__st__64
    Pretty tough race for an amateur considering the heat and the climbing.

There was a fire too
    Photo- http://www.thehubsa.co.za/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=130783
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #131 on: July 25, 2012, 12:17 »
    Seems like the next race, the lowveld tour, is a long and toughish race despite a lack of mountains in the region.
  • ReplyReply

• Jono L.

• Domestique
    • Liked: 428
    « Reply #132 on: July 27, 2012, 11:35 »
    Qhubeka are going pro conti next year 'parently. Not sure if this is part of the rumour mill yet.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #133 on: July 27, 2012, 11:40 »
    Aye, it was doing the rounds for a while, and I think they announced it somewhere in June, what with that gala then.

Should be interesting, how strong will they be? And will this move mean Reinardt stays and Arran Brown's the other really good prospect in that team.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #134 on: August 01, 2012, 10:14 »
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6197
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #135 on: August 01, 2012, 17:39 »
    And also, they have qualified for the TTT Worlds in September. 8)
    Now I have to go to Limburg...
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    « Reply #136 on: August 02, 2012, 00:10 »
    And also, they have qualified for the TTT Worlds in September. 8)
    Now I have to go to Limburg...

That's great hopefully we actually get to see them race
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #137 on: August 02, 2012, 02:08 »
    Good stuff, explains all the TTT practice they've been putting in.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #138 on: August 02, 2012, 10:26 »
    Just wondered idly about how the pronunciation police (espesh those who trash commentators over minute errors) will handle Qhubeka. I'm sure you'll be in a better spot, Dinzy, but I've heard Qh being pronounced as a click of the tongue and not Kh in Zulu.
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    « Reply #139 on: August 02, 2012, 12:24 »
    Just wondered idly about how the pronunciation police (espesh those who trash commentators over minute errors) will handle Qhubeka. I'm sure you'll be in a better spot, Dinzy, but I've heard Qh being pronounced as a click of the tongue and not Kh in Zulu.

Yeah guess it depends on who is saying it. My understanding is it is a xhosa word and in xhosa qh would be click. I know there aredifferent clicks. Apparently both my sister and i could make / understand the clicks when very young but now have no idea.

It is alsoa zulu word, in their tv ad i think the kid at the end says qhubeka in zulu. It is the last word, when subtitle says move on. Cannot do link right now as on ipad

In the end though a saffer journo confirmed it is Q - beka as far as the team goes.

They are a cool group, similar work to thezambian bike charity i sponsor, so worth reading up, or watching one of their youtube videos to see there is more to team than just racing
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #140 on: August 02, 2012, 12:52 »
    Cheers. The ad's on here somewhere btw.

Aye, pretty grouse group, and it's why I call them that rather than MTN usually.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #141 on: September 11, 2012, 08:39 »
    They've signed their first European rider: Ignatas Konovalovas. 8)
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #142 on: September 11, 2012, 17:23 »
    Been going international with some of their staff signings, it was only a matter of time, and can't  bad either

Brent Copeland and Thomas Campana to the management team. Brent Copeland joins the team as General Manager. The South African spent ten years with the Lampre squad as a Directeur Sportif and more recently has worked with Moto GP rider Ben Spies. Thomas Campana was the manager for Cervélo Test Team and put the team together impressively in just a matter of months. He is an expert on the logistical side of professional cycling and is responsible for recruiting the European riders to MTN-Qhubeka. Jens Zemke has had a major impact on the team this season and will remain the Head Directeur Sportif.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5652
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #143 on: September 25, 2012, 18:06 »
    Johann Van Zyl signs for MTN. Louis Meintjes has been confirmed.

Do we assume they'll be doing more European races? Wonder where they'll base their service course.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

ram

« Reply #144 on: September 25, 2012, 18:07 »
    They'll be based in Italy.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #145 on: September 26, 2012, 07:36 »
    They'll be based in Italy.
    That's odd, considering they've always been based in Belgium for their European campaigns the last few years.

Van Zyl and Meintjes are logical signings, I hope they continue to develop.
    Now we only need a proper South African UCI stage race again...
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #146 on: September 26, 2012, 07:47 »
    Here you are-
    “It’s very exciting for us,” says Ryder. “It’s a big step for the team and for African cycling. We’ll be basing our team in Italy and we’re looking forward to taking on some of the sport’s bigger teams. African athletes have proved that they are the best middle-distance runners in the world and we’re looking forward to showing that African cyclists can compete at the highest levels of the sport very successfully too.”

http://www.roadtolondon2012.co.za/2012/09/19/sa-based-outfit-hold-their-own-at-uci-world-road-championships/

Might be a few reasons, Brent Copeland's signing as European manager would be one of the main for mine.

70% African they say, so maybe space for another couple of Europeans.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #147 on: September 26, 2012, 10:11 »
    Trailer of the doco about Niyonshuti, Jock Boyer and efforts in Rwanda cycling. Should be a good un. Do hope that they have a mention of Godfrey Gahemba.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #148 on: September 26, 2012, 14:58 »
    Samsung sponsoring the team next year, and the team's budget is said to be 3 mill euros.
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 891
    « Reply #149 on: September 26, 2012, 15:23 »
    Could I ask after 6 months what this thread is really about, thanks 8)?
  • ReplyReply
  • Reverend Fred Saves!!