collapse

LukasCPH

• World Champion
  • Liked: 6197
    • lukascph.media
  • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
Re: Qhubeka - winning in a place near you
« Reply #540 on: September 30, 2015, 17:04 »
Core team renews as Nathan Haas and Omar Fraile will join Africa’s Team for 2016
10 riders are listed as having re-signed; 8 Tour starters, Sbaragli, Berhane ... and then it says 'among others'.

Who are these 'others' that haven't been announced elsewhere, but aren't specifically named as staying on this team either?
*de Gerald Ciolek
*za Nick Dougall
*au Matt Goss
*za Songezo Jim
*rw Adrien Niyonshuti
*dz Youcef Reguigui
*de Andreas Stauff
*za Jay Thomson
*za Johann van Zyl
*za Jaco Venter

They already trimmed 6 Africans off the roster before this season - I don't think they'll cut even deeper into the African part of the team. So Reguigui, Niyonshuti and the 5 Saffers should be safe.
The same cannot be said for Ciolek, Stauff and Goss. You'd expect the rider who won the team's first major victory to be explicitly named if he'd been re-signed ... so I think his (and his lieutenant Stauff's) departure is more likely than not.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10826
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #541 on: September 30, 2015, 17:32 »
    wonder what happen with Ciolek personality difference ?
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3256
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #542 on: September 30, 2015, 17:37 »
    Core team renews as Nathan Haas and Omar Fraile will join Africa’s Team for 2016
    10 riders are listed as having re-signed; 8 Tour starters, Sbaragli, Berhane ... and then it says 'among others'.

They already trimmed 6 Africans off the roster before this season - I don't think they'll cut even deeper into the African part of the team. So Reguigui, Niyonshuti and the 5 Saffers should be safe.
    The same cannot be said for Ciolek, Stauff and Goss. You'd expect the rider who won the team's first major victory to be explicitly named if he'd been re-signed ... so I think his (and his lieutenant Stauff's) departure is more likely than not.

I tend to agree with you there. I also wonder whether the HighRoad connection might offer Matt Goss something of a stay of execution...
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 852
    « Reply #543 on: September 30, 2015, 19:48 »
    If this team is serious about moving to WT then they need to shed the African riders that are not able to ride at a WT level. Being a development team is all fine and good but if you are going to sign Cav and ride three grand tours a year you need a deep roster of riders with a certain level of experience and talent.
  • ReplyReply

• lancasterke

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 467
    • Awards: Thread of the year 2015
    « Reply #544 on: October 02, 2015, 10:18 »
    inevitable really, but it's sad to see the african element be sidelined.

losing Meintjes is the (unsurprising) nut of the problem.

being a WT team requires that 15 guys might be racing top races on the same day say (pais Vasco and the classics) and it's hard to make big sponsors happy and do this if a significant portion of your squad is inexperienced and young (and amongst the weakest on the startline)

Teklahaiminot is strong, Berhane and Kudos are v talented but much past that the squad seem to be mainly average domestiques and pack fodder. van zyl won a stage at austria against 2nd tier names and reguigi won langkawi, but the guys on display at the top races tended to be the same names

no offence inteded to the team, who've had a great season, but the signing of top level european pros is neccessary for the step up and correspondingly likely to make the team a less interesting proposition to follow.

I was delighted with Cummings Tour stage and Ciolek MSR win, despite them both being top Euro pros, but it felt like they were coming from the plucky underdog. much harder to feel that a team that could start the tour say with Cav Eisel Renshaw Boassan Hagen, farrar, cummings tekla, berhane, janse van rensburg as being the same.

assume ciolek is out. don't think he had a win all season, wasn't in the mix that much either. and the experienced euro classics/sprint guy role has been filled
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #545 on: November 02, 2015, 10:19 »
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #548 on: November 18, 2015, 21:06 »
    https://twitter.com/SSbike/status/667082367383805953
    hmmm
    So the rumours are true:
    Team Dimension Data U23 to be set up in Europe, but the planning is on hold until the WT license is certain.

*za Jayde Julius should be one of those on the team, with *dz Adil Barbari another obvious name.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #549 on: November 25, 2015, 13:03 »
    Africa’s Team goes World Tour with Dimension Data

WorldTour license confirmed, but almost more importantly, the Conti team as well. :cool
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9475
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #550 on: January 26, 2016, 09:45 »
    from the Tropicale thread...

It's a shame that, for the second year in a row, Africa's top cycling team #mtn MTN-Qhubeka/ #didata Dimension Data has chosen to pass over this race. They're not even sending the newly-set-up Continental team. :(

They seem to have been very late in setting up the devo team and there doesn't seem to be much/any info around about it. Other than Eyob and Gebrezgabiher do we even know who will be riding for them? Girdlestone we can guess as he tweeted about heading to SA the other day, but it all seems a bit ramshackle.

the riders of the "DIMENSION DATA FOR QHUBEKA" continental team are now confirmed on the website of the UCI:
    • *za DE BOD Stefan
    • *za Dlamini Nickolas
    • *er EGERZEIGZAARHKA Amanuel
    • *er EYOB Metkel
    • *za GIBBONS Ryan
    • *za GIRDLESTONE Keagan
    • *za JULIUS Jayde
    • *rw NDAYISENGA Valens
    • *za SALIE Shameeg
    • *rw UWIZEYIMANA Bonaventure
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #551 on: January 26, 2016, 12:12 »
    the riders of the "DIMENSION DATA FOR QHUBEKA" continental team are now confirmed on the website of the UCI:
    And again the UCI jumps the gun ... :fp
    As a rule, you always - always! - let the people who pay for the thing announce it first. At least give them some warning so that #didata (in this case) can prepare a press release.

Very poor communication.
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1738
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #552 on: January 27, 2016, 01:43 »
    And again the UCI jumps the gun ... :fp

Ah the UCI, where every night is amateur night. :lol
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5359
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #553 on: February 04, 2016, 09:04 »
    http://www.velo-club.net/route/continentales-interviews/les-interviews/109760-champions-de-demain-itw-keagan-girdlestone

On your site, you have indicated a desire to change nationality, why this choice?

My request to obtain New Zealand citizenship is still in the race, but it takes quite some time. I made many friends in this country, and I feel now close to New Zealand. That said, I still have good relations in South Africa, and most of my family is still there. In my heart I will always be South African.

It's not new news, but I wonder if DDD know about this.  :-x
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Carlo Algatrensig

• Domestique
    • Liked: 717

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #556 on: June 19, 2016, 12:14 »
    Has he actually been selected yet?
      no not yet but has been track focused that is for sure 
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• Domestique
    • Liked: 717
    « Reply #557 on: June 19, 2016, 12:30 »
      no not yet but has been track focused that is for sure

Yeah definitely the track focus but I wonder if it will all be for nothing on Cav's part. If I were the GB selectors I think I'd take a fifth genuine team pursuiter who could double up in the Omnium for the track endurance squad.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #559 on: November 06, 2016, 22:06 »
    Got wonder if Dimension Data is happy with the Cav signing so far , clear Olympic focus, sure brought some media and money but ??

:-x  :D

Anyway, what are your thoughts Fus (or anyone for that matter) about how DDD got on this year?

Girdlestone's crash and injuries was a bit of a downer as they might have expected their best results from him. Not of a lot of UCI race days for most of the riders and neither Eyob or Gebreigzabhier got races days with DD as stagiaires - maybe both are work permit related, but going to be difficile to progress if you can't race.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #560 on: November 02, 2017, 20:07 »
    http://www.ridemedia.com.au/features/into-the-final-10-from-a-global-zwift-sift/

Dimension Data Continental are joining Canyon SRAM this year in offering a potential place in their team via the Zwift Academy.

There are numerous talented riders who have the potential to compete in WorldTour level races but simply have not had the pathway to do so.

The Zwift Academy has been created with those riders in mind, those who – for some reason or another – may have slipped through the cracks, or are perhaps new to the sport and bursting with talent.

Most of the youngsters do have some proper races in their legs. Harrison Bailey, who wrote the article, rode Gila and the Cascade Classic this year for example (however he was DNF in both).
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #561 on: November 21, 2017, 11:04 »
    https://twitter.com/ollieman56/status/932902814698926081

Ollie Jones gets the golden ticket.

This isn’t a marketing gimmick

Well it is, but that and him potentially being a decent rider aren't mutually exclusive. He has ridden a few UCI races, so it's not as if they took the skates off him and put him on a bike for the first time a few weeks ago.
  • ReplyReply

•