collapse

cj2002

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 3217
  • Honorary President
  • Awards: Best avatar 2012
They don't make 'em like this anymore...
« on: March 13, 2015, 19:42 »
It all started because I was having a pretty crappy day yesterday. I decided to cheer myself up by listening to my all-time top 3 favourite albums:

Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

I am well aware that all of these records were released - and had their cultural impact - long before I made an appearance on this planet (or, in fact, any planet at all). I decided, given the height of the bar I had set, the remainder of my listening yesterday, on my train journeys and the like, needed to match up in terms of quality.

Paul Simon - Graceland was a recommendation by an old housemate, and was gratefully received as I stood waiting for what seemed like an eternity at Clapham Junction.
Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young - Deja Vu was on my mind after its 45th anniversary earlier this week.

This morning, I felt like continuing the theme, and tried to find another 5 albums to match up.

Joel, among other choices that I was less keen on (as a matter of personal taste), reminded me of

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours.

After a busy afternoon where I had to actually interact with other human beings, I settled on

U2 - Achtung Baby for my journey home.

And now, here I am, work clothes off and away for the weekend. Relaxing with

Carole King - Tapestry.

I would not suggest that these albums are intrinsically or objectively better than others. I would be quite happy to wax lyrical about why I believe they are among the greatest records ever made, and why very little that is released these days matches up by any standard. But these are the albums that are my musical cornerstones. The albums that I turn to most often when I need a guaranteed musical pick-me-up.

I'm sure there are some who would turn to the Kaiser Chiefs, and make the same assertions that I'm making here[1]. But what of you? What is your melodic comfort blanket? Your harmonic helping hand or rhythmic rescuer[2]?
 1. They'd be wrong, of course...  :-x
 2. OK, I'll stop now
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

DJW

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 788
    • Awards: Reigning Vuelta Prediction ChampRio Olympic Games Prediction Champ
    Re: They don't make 'em like this anymore...
    « Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 16:47 »
    Dylan's Blood on the Tracks for me. or any Smiths album, but mostly The Queen is Dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1902
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    Re: They don't make 'em like this anymore...
    « Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 17:20 »

@5:50 for all you kids out there.  :P
  • ReplyReply

•