collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 11134
  • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
The riders through ANAPRC the American riders association have been having meeting and are puting frame work to the UCI

https://twitter.com/ridemediaHQ/status/582781530696630272

Thought we needed a thread

expecially with 110 km/h winds in Belgium today a race day
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3257
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Seems like a good place to put this interview from Uncle Bernie...

http://ridemedia.com.au/interviews/eisel-on-gent-wevelgem-we-are-treating-each-other-like-dogs

wish I had of thought of that  :D   ;)   :P
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    I'm pre-coffee and on my phone on the train... I really don't know what you expect from me...
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    was meant to be a joke

Sorry I f I offended
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    was meant to be a joke

Sorry I f I offended

I know  ;)

Brain fail for CJ - I need a holiday!
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4001
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    He has some good points.

Whilst the spectators loved the race..... It was considerably dangerous and I certainly don't blame any rider who climbed off.

I do agree they need a protocol
  • ReplyReply

• Francois the Postman

• National Champion
    • Liked: 955
    Did they add the clause where they insist fellow riders stop consuming sh*t that numbs the senses, delays reaction time and also causes things like

"I mean, it was… the whole thing was just stupid… I honestly rode five riders off the road because I couldn’t hold my bike anymore"

with far more regularity and actual casualties than extreme wind conditions?

On the one hand I get where they come from and agree that safety in the workplace matters. On the other hand nah, sorry, you wanted to become a road cyclist.

Race organisers decide when it is too dangerous. If the riders think that is the wrong call they have the means to take action themselves. Not a lot people can do about a rider getting off his bike, a bunch deciding to soft peddle and Andy heading for the pub after laughing all the way to the bank first.

If you deem you are not in enough control of your bike or your own safety, get off the bike or drive (communally) to ability, and let others decide how far they wanna push themselves in pursuit of the sort of epic wins that define to a large extent the desirability of winning a given race in the first place.

There is no shame in not finishing on a day like that, or not featuring in any meaningful way.

But there is an awful lot of glory with golden knobs on to be had too. These are the cycling moments we all remember. Days like this is why the Belgian Classics and PR have that super-special something that makes people so keen to get their name on that list. When PR gets wet and windy, for some riders, that is the one they want. They get it.

This race was kept 'on'. And in my book for only good reasons.

A man and his bike against the rest, the road, and the elements....

There have been 77 Gent Wevelgems and most winners will hardly be named ever again. Luca Paolini tamed one that will be dragged up every single time GW takes place. A neutralized race would have taken that glory away from him.

It is a one-day race. Get off the bike or have a shot at "one for eternity". Your choice.

I can see an argument for some sort of codified protocol for stage races, where getting off your bike has more repercussions. Give race organisers a series of mandatory options when it gets above a certain bluster level. Powers which they already have and which of course they already use. They aren't daft.

Like it or not, it's days like this that make glorious "cycling culture" headlines across the globe, help draw attention and ultimately add to their pay cheques too, even if they got off the bike on Sunday.

Give up on days like that and what we end up with headlines that bitch about Astana and the cycling culture we all know too well.

Mr Eisel, if you're gonna do something organised as a bunch of pros who have only safety and the well-being sport at heart, organise yourself against cheating and cheats in a meaningful way. Self-police, report, neutralize until teams themselves get it, and protest loudly and publicly. It's been an issue for a while now, I would expect you lot had figured out that only you lot have the real power to 'neutralize' the issue and to add a very loud voice to the debate. Silence and Omerta, as a fan despite 'all that': thank you.

Do something meaningful to make it a safer sport, then come back to me about windy day that is as rare as a working Exitt (freudian typo: Etixx) race plan, one that has people mostly riding slow-motion into very grassy verges and fans so bloody excited all over the place that riders decide 'we can't have that, let's nip that in the bud right away!'.   

I guess from a bunch that only ever got really organised to have less testing, I probably should have expected to hear organised outrage about hot and cold air before tackling your real issues head-on.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 11:03 by Francois the Postman »

killswitch

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1122
    Did they add the clause where they insist fellow riders stop consuming sh*t that numbs the senses, delays reaction time and also causes things like...
    Another amazing post (as usual) FtP, agree with every point. :cool
  • ReplyReply
  • Joelsim: The huge winner today - Landa.
    just some guy: Aye he marginal gained the flip out of it

Recent Posts