collapse

LukasCPH

• World Champion
  • Liked: 6256
    • lukascph.media
  • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
How To ... - VR's fancy options
« on: April 01, 2015, 21:41 »
This is a thread where, over time, we'll collect instructions on how to use all the fancy editing and embedding options we have on VR.

Feel free to contribute by explaining footnotes, URL embedding, PCS embedding and what not to the less tech-savvy of our members, and let's make this forum even better!

:)
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5652
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    Re: How To ... - VR's fancy options
    « Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 21:49 »
    Like how to change one's username to something at once baffling and heartbreakingly unfamiliar? :o :P
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5469
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 22:17 »
    [ float ] is a useful tool to give your race previews that professional search-esque look.

[ float=left ][ img ]image url[ /url ] [ /float ]text

In the red corner, weighing 48 stone and 13lbs is Giant Haystacks. Industriam ab si constanter credidisse istiusmodi operatione immortalem se. Fas ima duas hinc puto. Sumque realis simili qua factum utiles eam. Figuram plausum pla sed quinque mem certius sui quaedam insuper. Compages nihildum at periculi probatur percipio tollitur ha. Ex solere vixque florum de stupor procul optime ii. Alio scio im solo mo ei fiat to.

Judicandi opinionem rea notaverim imo non confirmet tractatur. Ita fal existimem separatum perfacile aggredior supponant quo vul. Aestimare mea profertur qui probandam. Vestrae maximam rem sed incipio idcirco exerant. Videlicet hos vereorque conjectus expendere sit. De obtinent ex ignorans actiones realitas ac an. Extensa humanum cum lapidem suo dormiam cum sap. Referrem admittit fas synopsis remanere qua lor has infinite penitius.

[ float=right ][ img ]image url[ /url ] [ /float ]text

....and in the blue corner, Big Daddy! Cau exponam sentiam lus fatigor emanant. Ex attingebam ne mo distinctae spectentur theologiae potentiali. Apollonio ita veritatis plerosque existimem apparebat sua ubi. Res fuerint agnosci plausum dat quidnam moralis attinet. Jam nolo meos anno vidi usu hoc ego atra. Creari jam sapere videbo rei sae vel. In ex ac addo im unam quis sane. Ex aliasque quidquam ac cogitare ne. Cui existat vix effugio quoties aberrem chartam.

Locusque et sentiens ei ac siquidem to. Istiusmodi ea ut voluntates formaliter. Admittere tantumdem at videlicet si. Ens aperte reddat imo altera quibus nemine. Priorem sternat dormire tes produci quosdam lapidem vel jam per. Mentemque abstinere aggredior percipior hic ita. Non aucupantur per ponderibus dulcedinem non.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9557
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 22:24 »
    another one is to change the height of the pictures...

doesn't look good at all, but if you click "edit" you will see

img width=180 height=188

for one image and

img width=180 height=119

for the other. If you now change the first height to

img height=119 (you just delete the "width" part, otherwise the picture will be stretched)

...voilá

• ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 22:40 »
    another important thing is...

#lampre not #sky to #etixx use #fluo kit #fdj smileys #fantini before #phonak every #rsnt single #05tmobile word

:P
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6256
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 23:53 »
    another important thing is...

#lampre not #sky to #etixx use #fluo kit #fdj smileys #fantini before #phonak every #rsnt single #05tmobile word

:P
    But they're so pretty. :angel

Back when we didn't have PCS embedding, you could use them in the manually posted results. Now, I have to find other uses! :P
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2029
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 11:35 »
    Some really basic bits and pieces when posting:

1) To post a hyperlink, you click on the globe with a pencil and then you will have the tags [ur] [ /url] you then post your link like this:[ url=http://velorooms.com/index.php/page,Livechat4.html][ /url], essentially, just adding an equals and then the link in the first URL tag.

To add the text to the hyperlink, simply just add it in the middle of the two tags like:Velorooms Live Chat Now![ /url]                                                                                     

Remove the spaces and tu du..
    Velorooms Live Chat Now!

2) To embed the ProCyclingStats Go onto the PCS website -> The Race you want -> More (in the top menu) -> Embed Results -> Look for the code in the box which says "The Code", the code will be a 6 digit number preceded by "id=" eg. id=150154

Copy and paste the number onto here. Click on the PCS icon in the post display, and you will have tags like: [pcs ][ /pcs] Then simply add your code in the middle like:  [pcs ]150154[ /pcs]

3) Footnoting is very simple. Whenever you wish to footnote something for whatever reason just click on the jug icon icon in the post display and you will get these tags [nb][/nb] Then simply place any text you wish to be footnoted inside the tags like: [nb ]David Walsh, the Climb 2014[ /nb]

4) To format tables in the fancy CSV style. Simply click on the Paper icon with the excel logo and you will get these tags: [csv=, ] [ /csv]
    Now you can place your data inside these tags. The key thing to remember is that the Comma acts as the delimeter. Ie. everytime you have a comma it will move the text into the next column

So if you want three categories. Ie. Year Rider Nationality. You would write them at the top and separate them with commas like:
    [csv=, ]
    Year, Rider, Nationality
    [ /csv]

Then for each piece of data you would then separate it with a Comma based on these categories.
    Ie.
    [csv=, ]
    Year, Rider, Nationality
    1967, Cancellara, Swiss
    1971, Ricco, Italian
    1983, Schleck, Luxemborganian
    [ /csv]
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

Armchair Cyclist

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2080
    • Awards: Giro Prediction Champ 2017
    « Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 12:27 »

1)To post a hyperlink, you click on the globe with a pencil

I tried that, but just ended up with pencil marks all over my screen.
  • ReplyReply

• Armchair Cyclist

• Road Captain
    « Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 12:35 »

4) To format tables in the fancy CSV style. Simply click on the Paper icon with the excel logo and you will get these tags: [csv=, ] [ /csv]
    Now you can place your data inside these tags. The key thing to remember is that the Comma acts as the delimeter. Ie. everytime you have a comma it will move the text into the next column

So if you want three categories. Ie. Year Rider Nationality. You would write them at the top and separate them with commas like:
    [csv=, ]
    Year, Rider, Nationality
    [ /csv]

Then for each piece of data you would then separate it with a Comma based on these categories.
    Ie.
    [csv=, ]
    Year, Rider, Nationality
    1967, Cancellara, Swiss
    1971, Ricco, Italian
    1983, Schleck, Luxemborganian
    [ /csv]
    More seriously, is it possible to use something other than commas (preferably tabs)?  It is easy enough to incorporate commas , and I have columns of commas between data columns in my various CQ game spreadsheets for copying to here, but another forum, despite a recent "upgrade", still does not have a csv table facility.  It would be handy not to have to go through tables stripping out commas for that place, which does at least respond to tabs.

Also, when the table contents are sufficiently obvious to not require headers, is there a way to avoid the emboldened top line.  Simply leaving a blank line does not do it. (I'm sure game leaders don't mind their status being thus highlighted, but even so...)
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3925
    • Awards: 2017 TDF Prediction ChampKeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 12:54 »
    Armchair I think you can just do a line with commas to avoid the bolded line :)

ArmchairsearchJSG
    Froome19krebsmew
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 14:15 »

I tried that, but just ended up with pencil marks all over my screen.

Oh, that took me a while to get.. :lol :D

More seriously, is it possible to use something other than commas (preferably tabs)?  It is easy enough to incorporate commas , and I have columns of commas between data columns in my various CQ game spreadsheets for copying to here, but another forum, despite a recent "upgrade", still does not have a csv table facility.  It would be handy not to have to go through tables stripping out commas for that place, which does at least respond to tabs.

Also, when the table contents are sufficiently obvious to not require headers, is there a way to avoid the emboldened top line.  Simply leaving a blank line does not do it. (I'm sure game leaders don't mind their status being thus highlighted, but even so...)

Very simply the delimeter is automatically made to be Commas by [csv=] If you manually change it to say [csv=/] then the / will replace the Comma as the delimeter. So you can change it to anything you want. Thus you could use  [csv=  ] leaving the delimiter blank and then any space you use will be considered a delimiter. Only problem with that is if you have a name with a surname etc which you do not want separated. Using a double space as a delimiter maybe more useful, not sure how would incorporate tabs.

Alternatively what you can do is first post your tables on CN and then copy them into Excel, you then save the excel doc. as as a CSV (comma delimited) file, open it up in Wordpad or Notepad and you will find all the commas magically added for you!

As Flo said, just adding a line of commas would get rid of the line.
    Eg.
    [csv=, ]

Year, Rider, Nationality
    1967, Cancellara, Swiss[ /csv]

• ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 14:20 »
    testtesttest
    test   test   test

edit: it's not working with a tab
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3512
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 14:43 »
    I couldnt ever get tab to work

I always use ~ as nobody ever uses that.

Just copy into excel, add the ~ where I want and into notepad

• ReplyReply

• Armchair Cyclist

• Road Captain
    « Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 19:13 »
    testtesttest
    test   test   test

edit: it's not working with a tab

Thanks, but I had tried at least that much for myself   ;)
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1739
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #14 on: April 04, 2015, 22:34 »
    I couldnt ever get tab to work

I always use ~ as nobody ever uses that.

Just copy into excel, add the ~ where I want and into notepad

I use semicolon, but it doesn't work too good as it counts apostrophes too then for whatever reason, does ~ work better?

~ is a bit hard you need to both locate that key then alt and space to make it appear here is a test though.

123 123
    test,'* test,'*

Double commas might work, fast and simple, will it read though?

*'; "test"
    test, 2 test 2

Edit so double comma works perfect, and it is super fast when writing in manually  :cool
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #15 on: April 18, 2015, 23:39 »
    A lot people's questions will be answered on this page here:

Velorooms FAQ

May update it to include more info..
  • ReplyReply

•