collapse

Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
  • Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 3925
  • Awards: 2017 TDF Prediction ChampKeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
Eurovision
« on: May 15, 2015, 11:42 »
So I thought it might be nice to create a thread about this, starts next Tuesday, I will put some info here and some videos
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: 2017 TDF Prediction ChampKeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    Re: Eurovision
    « Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 11:47 »
    The rules:
    • An entry does not have to sing in the native language of the country it is representing and a country can also send someone from a different country.
    • The song has to be performed live on stage,  but the music is on tape.
    • The song is not required to have been written or composed by the performing act.
    • A max number of 6 performers is allowed on stage (singers, dancers, band all together).
    • The song may not have been released before September of the year before.

There are 40 countries this year. Every country is a member of the European Broadcasting Union (EBU). In theory every member of the EBU can participate.
    This year there are 7 countries with a guaranteed spot in the Grand Final on Saturday: The Big 5 (Spain, Italy, Germany, UK, France), which are the 5 biggest economic contributors, the host country (Austria this year, as they won last year) and this year, also Australia. They got invited as the contest is very popular over there and this year is the 60th anniversary of the ESC.

There are 33 other countries. These countries are spread over 2 semi-finals: 16 on Tuesday, in semi-final 1, and 17 on Thursday, in semi-final 2. Out of each semi-final, ten acts will go through to the final, which will consist of 27 acts.

For each of these semi-finals, only the countries participating in that particular semi-final can vote, plus half of the guaranteed finalists: in SF 1, Spain, Austria and France will vote. In SF2, Italy, Germany and UK will vote. Australia will vote in both semi-finals. For the Grand Final, every country will be allowed to vote, including those who got eliminated in the semi-finals.
    In the semi-finals, the voting results will only be made public after the show, so during the show the hosts will only announce which countries go through. The voting system is the same as in the Grand Final, though.
    Each country will allocate points to their top 10, ranging from 1 point for their 10th place, to 8-10-12 for their top 3. A country cannot vote for themselves.

These points reflect both the professional jury’s votes, and those of the televoters (the TV audience). Both account for 50% of the final result. There is, however, one minor issue with the current system: instead of having the jury allocate 1 to 12 points, and the televoters, and then adding those two together, a ranking is made: there will be a full ranking of all countries in which their ranking by the jury and by the televoters are put together. The top 10 of this ranking score points.

In the past, this has created strange situations. For example, in 2013, the (in)famous Romanian opera vampire, Cezar with his song It’s my life,

got 1 point from Italy. However, later, when RAI made the televoting results public, it was revealed the Romanian entry got a whopping 23% of the televotes - and 21% of the votes where not valid, Italians voting for themselves, viva Italia!, so he got 30% of the valid votes.

This means the Italian jury put Cezar very low on their ranking, probably 20-somethingth out of 26. So, adding the 1st position, and, let’s say, 23rd position together, he scored 24 points, which was only enough for 1 point. A country that scored 11th and 12th place in those rankings, would have beaten him. It seems like a more fair system would be to let the jury and televoters give out points, and then divide them by two. In that case, Cezar would have gotten 6 points from the Italians.
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 11:53 »
    Running order for SF 1
    1.   Moldova
    2.   Armenia
    3.   Belgium
    4.   The Netherlands
    5.   Finland
    6.   Greece
    7.   Estonia
    8.   FYR Macedonia
    9.   Serbia
    10.   Hungary
    11.   Belarus
    12.   Russia
    13.   Denmark
    14.   Albania
    15.   Romania
    16.   Georgia

Running order for SF 2
    1.   Lithuania
    2.   Ireland
    3.   San Marino
    4.   Montenegro
    5.   Malta
    6.   Norway
    7.   Portugal
    8.   Czech Republic
    9.   Israel
    10.   Latvia
    11.   Azerbaijan
    12.   Iceland
    13.   Sweden
    14.   Switzerland
    15.   Cyprus
    16.   Slovenia
    17.   Poland
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1125
    « Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 12:03 »
    It would be great if Australia won.
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 12:08 »
    Indeed and in my opinion they have a great song :cool stay tuned..
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 12:22 »
    Albania *al
    Elhaida Dani - I'm alive

my rating:  :Stars: :Stars: :Stars: :Stars:
    Really good song and the singer has a very unique voice. Live she's also very good, but I have a feeling this song will not come out as well live. It will be interesting how this will be staged, could make a difference. Elhaida Dani participated in The Voice Italy, and these countries usually give each other points, so she will definitely get many points from the Italians. She will have to get through the semi-final first though, as Italy will vote in the 2nd semi-final. The song should definitely be good enough to finish top 10 in the grand final though, so I doubt that'll be an issue.

Australia *au
    Guy Sebastian - Tonight again

my rating:  :Stars: :Stars: :Stars: :Stars: :Stars:
    I really like this song, it is very catchy and between so many ballads, such a soulful, upbeat song could really stand out. Guy Sebastian is a really good singer, live he is extremely strong. And Australia will get plenty of votes simply because they are new and fresh, they are a big contender for the win IMO.

Austria *at
    The Makemakes - I am yours

my rating: :Stars: :Stars:
    Not a big fan of this one, the vocals are solid and the song is catchy enough, but it reminds me of The Scientist by Coldplay, and I am allergic to rip-offs :P and he's wearing the same hat as the Dutch guy last year :fp besides that, I doubt it is interesting enough to finish anywhere near the top 10. No back-to-back wins for the Austrians.
  • ReplyReply

• Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1584
    • Something about Danish cycling I love
    « Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 12:24 »

Australia??

Blimey that's quite a bit of continental drift ;p
  • ReplyReply

• Havetts

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1056
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016Doper Shoot Out 2013
    « Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 12:52 »
    Geopolitical nepotism contest :woohoo!!

In all seriousness, it'd be pretty funny if Australia would win :P
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 13:04 »
    Armenia *am
    Genealogy - Face The Shadow

my rating: :Stars: :Stars: :Stars:
    So you might be wondering why this song isn't called "Don't deny" as that is repeated about 10000 times in the chorus. Well, actually, it was called "Don't deny" but they changed it after allegations that the song contained a political message about the Armenian genocide, which is, you guessed it, denied by the Turkish. I am not sure if they changed the title because songs aren't allowed to contain a political message, or because they want to show their song actually doesn't contain a political message.. However.. I truely doubt there is another way to explain this sentence "Face every shadow you denied" and the weird video clip with empty chairs etc :S
    About the song: It is okay, one of the ladies, the one that sings the first chorus, actually participated with her sister in 2009, she has a great voice IMO, but the song is a bit of a mess near the end with all the different voices, and live , judging by the rehearsals, it is even worse :S

Inga & Anush in 2009

Azerbaijan  *az
    Elnur Huseynov - Hour of the Wolf

my rating: :Stars: :Stars: :Stars: :Stars:
    Another returning singer - Elnur participated in 2008 together with Samir.

Azerbaijan pretty much always sends in an entry that scores very well. I doubt this year will be any different. Thankfully Elnur's song isn't as ridiculous as the one in 2008 :P It is really calm, but at the same time the choruses with the choir are very impressive. Azerbaijan can count on many votes from their neighbours so I doubt they will finish outside the top 10 in the final. Top 5 would definitely not be undeserved. Live he is also very strong.

Belarus *by
    Uzari & Maimuna - Time

my rating: :Stars: :Stars: :Stars: :Stars: :Stars:
    This is my biggest guilty pleasure this year, I liked this song from the start and I am more than happy to slowly see this song climb in people's personal rankings, now even in the top 5 sometimes :) I really like the violin, and the song is really catchy. Live it sounds good enough, a little off at times maybe but nothing terrible. I watched the rehearsal and it is just the two of them on the podium, it seems like a big prop is missing, maybe an hourglass? I really think this song has potential, I hope they reach the final :) Also, gotta love the infamous Belarussian accent :P
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3256
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #9 on: May 15, 2015, 13:24 »
    Sweden will win. You heard it here first.  ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #10 on: May 15, 2015, 13:25 »

Hardly a shocking prediction ;)
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3256
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #11 on: May 15, 2015, 13:27 »
    Hardly a shocking prediction ;)

I never claimed it would be shocking. But I am stating it with absolute certainty, combined with zero interest and nearly no knowledge of the subject.

In many ways, I am to Eurovision what Oleg Tinkov is to race strategy and tactics.
  • ReplyReply

• Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1584
    • Something about Danish cycling I love
    « Reply #12 on: May 15, 2015, 14:47 »

I thought you'd go for Azerbaijan  *az
    Elnur Huseynov - Hour of the Wolf

Wolfie  :Heart:
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #13 on: May 15, 2015, 17:44 »
    Belgium *be
    Loïc Nottet - Rhythm Inside

Nice tune, although it does sound like Royals by Lorde: apparently the song is by the same producer. Loïc seems like a nice young dude and he has a very interesting voice. I am not a big fan of the Wallonian accent, but it does not bother me too much in this song. Live it sounds good, actually better than the studio version cause there is more variety, and there's a wicked choreography ;)

Cyprus *cy
    John Karayiannis - One thing I should have done

Nice and calm song, but way too boring for the contest I'm afraid, unless he comes up with a genius staging but looking at the rehearsals it doesn't look like that :( but Cyprus doesn't have any reason to be ashamed of this entry, it's a good singer with a good song.

Czech Republic *cz
    Marta Jandová and Václav Noid Bartá - Hope Never Dies

Nice ballad. Good comeback for *cz :cool . The guy's voice is amazing :o goosebumps. I don't think this will finish very high, but they should be able to qualify for the final. I would like to see their staging, it could make or break the song, I hope they don't just stand there and sing.
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #14 on: May 15, 2015, 17:59 »
    Denmark *dk
    Anti Social Media - The Way You Are

Okay so I hated this song first because I had only heard the chorus. I still think the chorus is quite annoying, but the rest of the song is so happy and joyful, I really like it. And there's something about this group of guys just having fun, I think they deserve at least a place in the final. I doubt they'll make it though.
    Also, this song could do without the stupid background singers. They distract from the band.

Estonia *ee
    Elina Born & Stig Rästa - Goodbye To Yesterday

So, this song is one of the big favorites to win. I do really like it, but not as much as others. It is obviously inspired by last year's Dutch entry, but that doesn't bother me too much. I think the girl's parts don't add much to the song, I find her singing very uninspiring and "boring", but in the live version, she is the one who has to bring the song to another level as the guy's singing is a bit off, so that doesn't really work. This song is a guarantee for the final, and a top 5 placing, either way.

• ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #15 on: May 15, 2015, 18:12 »
    This song deserves a seperate post...

Finland *fi
    Pertti Kurikan Nimipäivät - Aina Mun Pitää

my rating: :Stars:
    Let's be honest, this is not a good song, unless you are into this music style, and it's only 1:30 long, you get the feeling it's just started when it's already ended. Maybe they'll perform it twice :P There is a back story to this entry though. The band, Pertti Kurikan Nimipäivät, was formed in a charity workshop in 2009. The band consists of 4 mentally disabled members:
    The guitarist, Pertti Kurikan, who writes the music for the band and some of the lyrics. He released a spoken word cassette and a book of horror stories. He listens to punk rock music, but also to other styles ranging from classical to disco to schlager to kids' music. He can also play the organ.
    The vocalist, Kari Aalto, who writes most of their lyrics. He has his own talkshow on a local radio station. He can play drums, bass and keyboard and loves motorcycles and American cars.
    Bassist Sami Helle, who also sings background vocals. As a child he lived in London and New York, so he speaks English fluently. He is a member of the Finnish Central Party and is also an activist of an organization for disabled people.
    The drummer, Toni Välitalo. He is the youngest member of the band. He started playing drums at the age of six. His favorite music is Finnish schlager.

I am not sure what kind of result we can expect for them. They could very well end up (almost) last, but it wouldn't be surprising if they qualify for the final and finish top 10 either. Whatever happens, I believe these guys deserve massive respect and I hope they have fun on stage.
  • ReplyReply

• LaVelocipede

• Domestique
    • Liked: 382
    • Awards: Reigning TDF Prediction Champ2015 Giro Quiz League - 1st PlaceNew Member of 2014
    « Reply #16 on: May 15, 2015, 22:04 »
    I know it's not "cool",  but I like the Eurovision.
    Irelande douze pointe!

But really, our song this year is boring, we might get to the final, and finish maybe 20th odd.

• ReplyReply
  • "Cycling is like boxing: It's not a game. It's a hard, pitiless sport that demands very great sacrifices.One plays football, tennis, hockey, but one does not play at cycling."
    - Jean de Gribaldy

Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #17 on: May 16, 2015, 21:44 »
    France *fr
    Lisa Angell - N'oubliez pas

Don't like this one (as my rating shows). The vocals are solid enough, but it's just the typical French boring ballad. Doesn't help that I don't really like the French language (though I can understand the lyrics). I do like the change of tempo in the last minute, and of course the song isn't terrible, I just don't like it.

Georgia *ge
    Nina Sublatti - Warrior

The first of the two "warrior" songs. It gets stuck in your head very easily, which is good. The first version of this song wasn't very good, but this new version just has so much more power. The clip is also very good.
    It does have the worst lyrics out of the whole lot though: "Still stucked in my mind" :D I hope she makes the final, but the song might not come out as well live.

Greece *gr
    Maria-Elena Kyriakou - One Last Breath

She sings like she's on her last breath... the song is okay, her voice is interesting, live she's very good, but this reminds me of Israel's entry 2 years ago. Solid song, good vocals, a piano.. and they didn't qualify.
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #18 on: May 16, 2015, 22:07 »
    Germany *de
    Ann Sophie - Black Smoke

She actually finished 2nd in the German contest, but the first place finisher decided to withdraw after he was announced the winner :S , so then she was declared the winner :S .
    I quite like the song, not a huge fan of her voice, it reminds me of Lena for Germany in 2010 (she won the overall contest, of course ;) ) Also the way she sings is very "German" to me, aggressive, if that makes sense :fp But overall this is a good entry I think, and has a bigger chance than the one that actually won:

Hungary *hu
    Boggie - Wars for Nothing

my rating: :Stars:
    This song has a great message, but it is just way, way too boring. I thought it maybe would get better after a few listens, but there is just nothing to get into. Everything lies in the message, and I guess the simplicity could make it stand out, but I don't have much faith in it. Sorry, Hungary, I really want to like it but just can't. :(

Italy *it
    Il Volo - Grande Amore

Yessssssss.... Italian pop-opera by 3 young dudes... YES :cheer
    (@2:00 ;) )
    This song is just great, I love love love it, it sounds so cool and awesome, such an epic build-up :cool
    the music video is stupid though :fp and I am not SUCH a big fan of the live version, but it's still cool cool cool :cool . I really think this song has the potential to become a Eurovision classic.

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 10:02 by Flo »

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10833
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #19 on: May 17, 2015, 09:33 »
    Ok folks have a listen I will let Flo do her rating but as Sweden has been discussed

• ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #20 on: May 17, 2015, 10:00 »
    Yep JSG
    I assume it has been in the Swedish media?
    My personal opinion is, the guitar at the start sounds similar, but it is a pretty standard western/country tune.
    There was also some stuff about the stick figure having been used by someone else before.
    Honestly this is not something new, as I said before the Austrian entry sounds similar to The Scientist by Coldplay but no one cares as it's not a favorite.
    in 2013 the chorus of the German entry sounded so much like the chorus of the Swedish winning entry in 2012.
    And this year we have several duets, clearly inspired by the Netherlands last year (not to mention the hat of the Austrian singer :P )
    By the way if I had to make a prediction I'd say the stick figure is the key to a Swedish victory, if they can finish 3rd with a pretty nondescript power ballad by pretty nondescript singer with a pretty nondescript show, they should take this.
    However it's also possible the audience vote for something a bit more unique like Italy or Norway or Estonia.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10833
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #21 on: May 17, 2015, 10:03 »
    Not really that discussed Flo as I think they ( Sweden) think they might win so best keep it quiet  :lol
  • ReplyReply

• LaVelocipede

• Domestique
    • Awards: Reigning TDF Prediction Champ2015 Giro Quiz League - 1st PlaceNew Member of 2014
    « Reply #22 on: May 17, 2015, 10:07 »
    Norway
    Always finish last right?
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #23 on: May 17, 2015, 10:08 »
    Always finish last right?
    Hmm ;) with 4th in 2013 and 8th in 2014 they have been doing well these last years though :P they won't finish last this year, I am 100% sure :P
  • ReplyReply

• LaVelocipede

• Domestique
    « Reply #24 on: May 17, 2015, 10:09 »
    Hmm ;) with 4th in 2013 and 8th in 2014 they have been doing well these last years though :P
    Huh, I was sure I remember them finishing last for a few years, :o :o :o :o BEHIND THE UK!
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #25 on: May 17, 2015, 10:12 »
    Huh, I was sure I remember them finishing last for a few years, :o :o :o :o BEHIND THE UK!
    !! :P
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #26 on: May 17, 2015, 10:25 »
    Iceland *is
    Maria Olafsdottír - Unbroken

Disney song much :fp and I hate the squeaky voice.. but I find myself singing this under the shower sometimes :o so one additional star for that reason.
    Bare feet, that is so 2012 and 2013 though ;)

Israel *il
    Nadav Guedj - Golden Boy

This song is so stupid, but Eurovision can really use some ethnic pop, especially as Turkey doesn't participate anymore. It's a happy song that will definitely stand out, and as Israel got completely robbed the last two years in my opinion, I want to see them qualify this year.

Ireland *ie
    Molly Sterling - Playing With Numbers

Nice calm song, Molly has a beautiful voice and most importantly she is just 16 (!) years old!!! And she wrote and composed this song herself! What a massive talent :o Live she also sounds great, I hope the nerves don't bother her. She really deserves to qualify but the song might be a bit too slow and uneventful. The staging looks really cool though. Go Molly!
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #27 on: May 17, 2015, 10:42 »
    Latvia *lv
    Aminata - Love Injected

Okay.. the verses are worth 3 stars in my opinion, not my cup of tea but interesting and unique. However the chorus is just dreadful in my opinion, I cannot listen to them, I have to turn the volume down. Just way too screamy and squeaky. Anyway, I know many people like this song so it may just be a matter of opinion.

Lithuania *lt
    Monika Linkytė and Vaidas Baumila - This Time

Quite a happy song, with nice vocals, but it is just too uninteresting to score well in my opinion. Three stars because it stands out among the ballads. The stage and clothing really suits the happy theme, it may help people remember this song better. Also, you can already sing along with the first chorus as they just repeat the same 2 sentences :P

Malta *mt
    Amber - Warrior

The second "warrior"! It is a cool song, I am still not sure if I prefer this version or the old one:

I think the new version sounds more mysterious, while the old version is more powerful. We will see if this was a good choice. Her live vocals are very strong, I do think they should have done more with the LED background though, it looks good but something is missing.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 17:43 by Flo »

Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #28 on: May 17, 2015, 17:44 »
    Uh oh.
    Georgian singer Nina Sublatti has lost her voice.
    She will perform in the first semi-final on Tuesday but the dress rehearsals are tomorrow and this is the performances the jury base their points on :(
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #29 on: May 18, 2015, 20:10 »
    FYR Macedonia *mk
    Daniel Kajmakoski - Autumn Leaves

I preferred the first version of this song, the Macedonian version. It was one of my favorites. I still like the song, but it is less special now. However, it may score better now. Still, it will be hard to reach the final.

Montenegro *me
    Knez - Adio

Awwww yeah Balkan vibe :daotec  YES! The only entry this year with that classic Eurovision Balkan feeling. Bravo !
    I guess they will receive plenty of points from other Balkan countries, hopefully they will qualify for the final, we need the Balkan vibe ;)

Moldova  *md
    Eduard Romanyuta - I want your love

Nsync called: they want their music back :D this is so terrible it is almost enjoyable. If only the live vocals weren't so terrible, though:

:D
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 09:53 by Flo »

Recent Posts

Re: Mens transfers and Rumors 2017-18 by Joelsim
    [December 15, 2017, 17:33]

Re: Men's Kits 2018 by LukasCPH
    [December 15, 2017, 13:10]

Re: Men's Kits 2018 by jimmythecuckoo
    [December 15, 2017, 12:58]

[December 15, 2017, 09:40]

Re: Race news 2018 - Rumours , Dates, Parcours , Wildcards etc. by Leadbelly
    [December 15, 2017, 07:45]

[December 14, 2017, 21:56]