collapse

Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
  • Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 3813
  • Awards: KeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
Re: Eurovision
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2015, 20:28 »
The Netherlands *nl
Trijntje Oosterhuis - Walk Along

my rating: :Stars: :Stars: :Stars:
Why? Why-y-y-y-y?
THis is so repetitive, at least we don't have to be ashamed as Trijntje is a good singer, also I like the live versions better because it sounds less repetitive, because Trijntje adds subtle little changes.

Also I must say Trijntje looks better than usual in recent pictures and videos, I guess they botoxed her up a little :D

Norway *no
Mørland & Debrah Scarlett - A Monster Like Me

my rating: :Stars: :Stars: :Stars: :Stars: :Stars:
Wow, I love this, it is so dark, melancholic and mysterious. I just wish it would come across right on stage :( on stage it looks like any other duet, it is no longer unique :(

And live the girl's voice is a bit off in the last part, which is sad as it's the climax of the song but that kind of ruins it.

Poland *pl
Monika Kuszynska - In the name of love

my rating: :Stars: :Stars: :Stars: :Stars:
So besides the Finnish mentally disabled rock band, we also have a singer in a wheelchair. Unlike the Finnish entry though, this is also a great song on its own. It's a beautiful ballad, not very special but the beautiful staging earns her an extra star:

• ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #31 on: May 18, 2015, 20:43 »
    Portugal *pt
    Leonor Andrade - Há um mar que nos separa

my rating: :Stars: :Stars:
    Hmmm I have mixed feelings about this one.
    On one hand, I really like the song and I love that it's in Portuguese.
    On the other hand I have to question the singer's choice :?
    It has such a fairytale like feel to it, she should have ditched the rock chick look and brought it like Zlata Ognevich in  2013

She could have reached the final in that case. Now, not a chance in hell. Portugal doesn't have a great track record anyway, with the majority of their points coming from two countries, Spain and France. And, guess what, those two countries vote in semi-final 1, while Portugal will perform in semi-final 2 :fp
    Listen to the studio version:

Even the backing vocals during the chorus make it sound like a fairytale song. Now it's just a mess. Her voice isn't strong enough live to make it a rock song.

Romania *ro
    Voltaj - De la capat/All over again

The only song this year with two languages - Romanian and English. It has a great message, and it sounds really cool in my opinion.
    I like that even live they still tell the story with the background

Russia *ru
    Polina Gagarina - A Million Voices

Oh, Russia with a peace ballad, what a shock ;) ;) ;) ;) But this song is well-composed, and the staging looks really good.
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #32 on: May 18, 2015, 21:02 »
    San Marino  *sm
    Anita Simoncini & Michele Perniola

my rating: :Stars:
    Oh gosh, whoever allowed Ralph Siegel to compose such a horribly old-fashioned song for two 16(!)-year olds... they should sing a happy, upbeat song, not this terrible crap.
    By the way, Michele participated in the Junior Song Contest a couple years ago, and Anita is the first person ever to participate in the junior contest, and directly after in the regular contest.
    I honestly feel sorry for them... I doubt this is what they imagined when they heard they would represent San Marino at the ESC.

Serbia *rs
    Bojana Stamenov - Beauty Never Lies

I thought this song was okay in Serbian, but with English lyrics it just sounds.. so odd.
    And yes, I realize this song is about beauty in every shape and size, but couldn't she find a more flattering outfit....? She's wearing a freaking tent.

Slovenia *si
    Maraaya - Here for you

I like this song, but her voice annoys me at times.
    Also, why is she wearing headphones and a 19th century wedding dress, and please get rid of that woman that's playing the "air violin" way too enthusiastically.
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #33 on: May 18, 2015, 21:25 »
    Spain *es
    Edurne - Amanecer

I love the mystery in this song, and by the way the music video is amazing, in HD it looks awesome. It is interesting that this song is the one that, together with Sweden, is most consistently in people's top 5's. I so hope it looks great on stage, she is a very good singer so I'm not worried about the live vocals :)
    This symphonic version is also very cool:

Officially only this is out yet:

But from what I can see on this video from the press room, the staging looks awesome :cool

Sweden *se
    Mans Zelmerlöw - Heroes

One of the big faves, and for good reason, it's a very catchy song and as I said earlier I think the stick figure thing will earn Sweden a lot of votes.

He seems to be playbacking in this rehearsal though, not sure why :? Maybe to save his voice

Switzerland *ch
    Mélanie René - Time to shine

Don't know how I feel about this one, I like it but it's not very special or memorable. I think Switzerland will qualify with this though.
    The live version sounds good (hey, trees seem to be popular this year ;) )

Last but not least:
    United Kingdom *uk
    Electro Velvet - Still in love with you

Okay unpopular opinion:
    many people think UK just didn't give a sh*t this year and sent a joke entry. Because they sent 2 "big stars" in 2012 and 2013 and they finished like 2nd last :P and then last year they had a good song but still finished in the 2nd half.

But I really like this song :P

:-x
     :P
  • ReplyReply

• al_pacino

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 86
    « Reply #34 on: May 18, 2015, 21:36 »
    Thats a good effort.

They could put out a Stones/Beatles super-group and we'd still finish near the bottom though.
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #35 on: May 18, 2015, 21:40 »
    Thats a good effort.

They could put out a Stones/Beatles super-group and we'd still finish near the bottom though.

DOn't be so bitter, especially Bonnie Tyler was just terrible :D

:S :o :D
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9008
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #36 on: May 18, 2015, 21:43 »
    no Jedward this year?
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

al_pacino

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 86
    « Reply #37 on: May 18, 2015, 21:43 »
    DOn't be so bitter, especially Bonnie Tyler was just terrible :D

:S :o :D

No doubt about that but poor old Englebert wasn't so bad and he finished well down.
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1066
    « Reply #38 on: May 18, 2015, 22:21 »
    Slovenia *si
    Maraaya - Here for you
    We have a winner!

I'll be popping to the bookmakers tomorrow, £5 Slovenia ftw.
  • ReplyReply

• LaVelocipede

• Domestique
    • Liked: 382
    • Awards: Reigning TDF Prediction Champ2015 Giro Quiz League - 1st PlaceNew Member of 2014
    « Reply #39 on: May 18, 2015, 23:57 »
    no Jedward this year?
    Thank goodness.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Cycling is like boxing: It's not a game. It's a hard, pitiless sport that demands very great sacrifices.One plays football, tennis, hockey, but one does not play at cycling."
    - Jean de Gribaldy

LaVelocipede

• Domestique
    • Liked: 382
    • Awards: Reigning TDF Prediction Champ2015 Giro Quiz League - 1st PlaceNew Member of 2014
    « Reply #40 on: May 19, 2015, 17:02 »
    I can hardly contain my excitement. :rave  :P
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #41 on: May 22, 2015, 19:30 »
    SF1 Qualifiers:
    Armenia *ar
    Belgium *be
    Greece *gr
    Estonia *ee
    Serbia *rs
    Hungary *hu
    Russia *ru
    Albania *al
    Romania *ro
    Georgia *ge

My top 10:
    1 Russia
    GREAT live, and the staging looks awesome

2 Belgium
    Hell YES! What an awesome performance :)

3 Georgia
    This is so awesome and so DARK ! Wow! Great performance :)

4 Estonia
    Very good, a potential winner and definitely deserved, + the guy sounded way better than in earlier live performances

5 Serbia
    If you read my review, you may have noticed I didn't really like this one. This performance really changed that! Wow, this just comes across so well live! She really blew the roof of the place with that last part!

6 Armenia
    Didn't put this in my top 10 on the night itself, but looking back it was really good. Good live performance, and a quite interesting staging.

7 Belarus
    As expected not too great live, but still it should have qualified :(

8 Romania
    Really nice song, and props for singing (part of it) in Romanian!

9 Denmark
    Such a fun song, it came across so well :( why did this not qualify? :( I guess their place in the running order didn't help (between Belgium and Estonia)

10 Greece
    Good performance, still not a huge fan of the song though

11 to 16, in random order:
    Albania:
    Great song, but damn, I have never heard anyone at the contest sing off-key for SO LONG. Geez, she missed every note! How the hell did this qualify?!

Finland:
    Not necessarily disappointing, it was simply as horrible as the studio version. I hope they had fun, though.

Moldova:
    Terrible, yet enjoyable :D

Netherlands:
    What a mess :fp

Hungary:
    Boring.... yawn. But still better than expected

Macedonia:
    Still like the song, but not as enjoyable to listen to live. The background looks really good though :)

Overall I'm more pleased with this result than with the result of the 2nd semi final though...............
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #42 on: May 22, 2015, 20:06 »
    SF2 Qualifiers:
    Lithuania *lt
    Montenegro *me
    Norway *no
    Israel *is
    Latvia *lv
    Azerbaijan *az
    Sweden *se
    Cyprus *cy
    Slovenia *si
    Poland *pl

My top 10:
    1 Malta
    What a great performance, and WHAT A SHOW! Yet it didn't qualify!!! She must have sung really badly in the jury rehearsals, there's no other way to explain this.

2 Czech Republic
    Wow, this really surprised me live! What an awesome performance! And it didn't qualify, sheesh.........

3 Montenegro
    Great, as expected, I really loved how the background changed from blue during the first, calm part, to red during the 2nd part. Balkan tune FTW!

4 Ireland
    I really enjoyed this, beautifully performed and the background looked amazing too

5 Norway
    Good performance, their best yet, but I'm still not quite feeling this song live

6 Slovenia
    This looked really good, and sounded good too, but I still can't love this because of the stupid headphones and the air violinist.

7 Sweden
    Good enough, not blowing away though. I guess this is the favorite for the win.

8 Azerbaijan
    Not as good live, as expected, you can't use a 20-man choir of course. Still, after listening to it for a 2nd time, it is still quite good.

9 Israel
    Stupid song, great fun though ;)

10 Poland
    Not the best song, not the best live performance, but it was brought beautifully, so I am happy it qualified.

11 to 17 (random order)
    Lithuania:
    Nothing special, I guess they benefited from being the 1st song of the night

San Marino:
    Yeah... this was very bad.. poor San Marino :(

Portugal:
    Actually quite good live, and I liked the song, but missed out on my top 10 by a hair

Latvia:
    What can I say... hmm.... deserved to qualify, but just not my cup of tea

Iceland:
    Glad this didn't qualify, off-key and a stupid Disney song ;)

Switzerland:
    This was a good performance actually, the song just isn't strong enough

Cyprus:
    Also a good performance, not as bland and boring as the studio version, but still not interesting enough for me. Nice to see it qualify though, always nice to see some unexpected acts in the final :)

A very strong semi-final, with many good candidates for the final, so some nice songs were bound to miss out, still sad to see that out of the 4 songs I really liked, only 1 made it to the final :(
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    « Reply #43 on: May 22, 2015, 20:14 »

A very strong semi-final, with many good candidates for the final, so some nice songs were bound to miss out, still sad to see that out of the 4 songs I really liked, only 1 made it to the final :(
    What were they?

For my part the only song that I thought was a contender but failed at the first hurdle was  *dk
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #44 on: May 22, 2015, 20:19 »
    What were they?

For my part the only song that I thought was a contender but failed at the first hurdle was  *dk
    Malta, Czech Republic, Portugal, Switzerland, Ireland, Iceland all could have qualified (out of SF2)
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    « Reply #45 on: May 22, 2015, 20:23 »
    Malta, Czech Republic, Portugal, Switzerland, Ireland, Iceland all could have qualified (out of SF2)
    I meant, which were the 4 songs you really liked?
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #46 on: May 22, 2015, 20:24 »
    I meant, which were the 4 songs you really liked?
    My top 4 of course :P
    Malta, Czech Republic, Montenegro, Ireland (only Montenegro qualified)
    (Out of SF2)
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    « Reply #47 on: May 22, 2015, 20:32 »
    My top 4 of course :P
    Malta, Czech Republic, Montenegro, Ireland (only Montenegro qualified)
    (Out of SF2)
    Ah of course. Sorry, I was being dense. I read your two review posts as one.
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1730
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #48 on: May 22, 2015, 21:04 »

Danish media was talking about this, and was on one side mad at Eastern Europe for voting on neighbor countries, and at the same time mad that *dk was not in the same SF as Norway and Sweden so *dk could get 2x12 points from them. smh
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    « Reply #49 on: May 22, 2015, 21:14 »
    Danish media was talking about this, and was on one side mad at Eastern Europe for voting on neighbor countries, and at the same time mad that *dk was not in the same SF as Norway and Sweden so *dk could get 2x12 points from them. smh
    But even then the voting was weird with Albania in with the worst performance of the week but neighbouring Macedonia out.
  • ReplyReply

• Vimto

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 130

Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #51 on: May 23, 2015, 17:06 »
    Running order Grand Final

1Slovenia *si
    2France *fr
    3Israel *is
    4Estonia *ee
    5United Kingdom *uk
    6Armenia *ar
    7Lithuania *lt
    8Serbia *rs
    9Norway *no