collapse

Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
  • Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 4512
  • Awards: 2019 Worlds prediction champ2019 Giro prediction champNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2018KeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
Landa and the national anthem
« on: May 31, 2015, 19:53 »
So Spanish people on social media are going crazy

Landa (a Basque) did not remove his cap for the Spanish national anthem

What do you think?

I personally am not outraged (but I am not Spanish) but it comes across as a bit selfish and childish "look at me not removing my cap because I want to make a point :angry :angry :angry "

After all riders from all nationalities remove their gap for another country's anthem. See Aru on the podium. It's normal and shows respect.

Now I can understand he doesn't WANT to respect Spain but by doing it this way he also disrespects Contador.

On another note could it be that this is also the reason for Landa's seemingly chilly attitude towards Berto?
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith
    RIP krebs

Claudio Cappuccino

• National Champion
    • Liked: 789
    • Venga! Venga! Venga!
    Re: Landa and the national anthem
    « Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 20:39 »
    A Basque shall not remove his cap for the Spanish national anthem. Simple.
  • ReplyReply

• DJW

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 896
    • Awards: Rio Olympics Prediction Champ
    « Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 22:19 »
    Not that much of a big deal I don't think. You would see the same thing from Irish Republicans for the British anthem. Nothing personal against Contador, probably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4020
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 01:59 »
    see if you hadnt mentioned it like that - that it was deliberate - I wouldnt have thought anything of it.

To do it deliberately just smacks of disrespect.
  • ReplyReply

• ansimi

• Domestique
    • Liked: 240
    « Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 02:03 »
    Considering the anthem issues Contador's experienced, this probably didn't offend him.

I find it weird that they even play the anthem and have the podium flags. Contador won on a Russian team with no Spanish team mates.

I thought Landa was grumpy about his 3rd place and how his team used him but maybe he was grumpy about not getting a choice of flag on his own flagpole. What's he going to do if he wins the Vuelta? (which somehow seems like a reasonable possibility now :o)

It's just good manners to show respect for any countries national anthem. I remember when the peloton had to stop for royalty and God Save the Queen at the Tour and they looked pretty confused. Some took their helmets off right away and some when they saw others doing it and some not at all. They really should have been briefed beforehand for that.

We had a scandal a while back when our Prime Minister's own teenaged children neglected to stand for Oh Canada at a hockey game. They weren't making a political statement; they just weren't thinking.

• ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4020
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 02:06 »

It's just good manners to show respect for any countries national anthem.

:snip

They weren't making a political statement; they just weren't thinking.

these 2 sentences sum it up
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: The Start-Up Nation of Cycling by Leadbelly
    [December 12, 2019, 19:09]

Re: Race news 2020 - Rumours , Dates, Parcours , Wildcards etc. by Leadbelly
    [December 12, 2019, 18:20]

Re: Team Sponsorship 19/20 by search
    [December 12, 2019, 10:04]

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2019-20 by search
    [December 12, 2019, 08:10]

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2019-20 by al_pacino
    [December 11, 2019, 22:01]

Re: The Start-Up Nation of Cycling by search
    [December 11, 2019, 17:46]