5 (55.6%)

Total Members Voted: 9

lancasterke

• Hot Prospect
  • Liked: 467
  • Awards: Thread of the year 2015
Do you use chamois cream?
« on: June 03, 2015, 11:48 »
I know some people use it and swear by it, but i've never tried it.

was wondering whether (a) it's weird I don't use it, (b) weird I haven't tried it and (c) worth trying/will change my life.

anyway, thoughts comment etc. appreciated
  • ReplyReply

• Kiwirider

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 342
    Re: Do you use chamois cream?
    « Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 13:01 »
    Lanc:

You need another option on your survey - "tried it, but didn't keep using it"   :)

I found that it had a use back in the day of natural chamois - helped to soften then up a bit and make them more pleasant at the start of a ride.

However now all of my shorts have inserts that you can't really call a chamois any more, so I don't think that they'd respond well to the product, let alone if there'd be any benefit.

That said, my partner does use some form of chamois cream sometime with her shorts from time to time - usually before we go mountain biking. But then again "girl chafing" does seem to be a completely different story ...   :o :o
  • ReplyReply

• krabkakes

• Artes, Scientia, Veritas.
    • Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 2623
    • Donald J Krabkakes
    • Awards: Dish of the Year 2017KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding ContentBest member of staff in live broadcast 2012Best Youtube clip 2012
    « Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 15:04 »
     I use Bag Balm made for chafed bovine teats. It helps prevent saddle sores. That first sit in the saddle is always weird. As I was taught "Grease that puppy up"
  • ReplyReply
  • I wish I was in Tijuana
    eating barbequed iguana

Claudio Cappuccino

• National Champion
    • Liked: 740
    • Venga! Venga! Venga!
    « Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 16:02 »
    Needed to look up ''chamois cream'', but no, I just take a corticosbalsam, and, I have a TUE for it!

Really, saddlecreams, no way Jozee.

[for women I do understand by the way]

• ReplyReply

• l29205

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 127
    « Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 17:54 »
    I used to before synthetic chamois came out but not any more.  I am not sure whether I received any benefit or was just following someone's recommendation.  Used Bag Balm back in the day, probably because it was the easiest to get a hold of.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1907
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 00:28 »
    Never.

No desire, and no apparent need.

Very occasionally I will add a dab of vaseline to a specific sore spot if I've been putting in longer miles, but mostly I don't experience any problems.

This does remind me of a video I saw a few years ago where several pros were asked the same question. As I recall, it was about 50/50.
    I'll see if I can find it.

Hmm, there's a lot of videos out there. I don't think this is the same one I saw previously, but these opinions are split as well.

While we're on the topic...
  • ReplyReply

• Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1577
    • Something about Danish cycling I love
    « Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 11:49 »
    I'm in the Phil Gaimon camp...

Yes I do, all the time, every ride ...

I don't ride huge distances (20-50k on a good day), but it's not good if I forget the cream. I'm also female....

• ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5652
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 21:11 »
    I put "used to..." but I use another sort of cream, crème de trayon or udder cream originally intended for animals but good for humans too.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

Kiwirider

• Neo Pro
    « Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 21:17 »
    I put "used to..." but I use another sort of cream, crème de trayon or udder cream originally intended for animals but good for humans too.

I use the same product - on my face when I'm skiing or running at temperatures below -20!!   :D

We got a tin of the stuff from a women's pro team that my partner was soigneur-ing for one year. Apparently great on the legs in a Belgian spring?

They also did warn Liz about making sure that she didn't get it on her chamois ... which considering how I literally scrape it off my face in the shower after a ski I think that I can understand ...  :o
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 17:12 »
    I use the same product - on my face when I'm skiing or running at temperatures below -20!!   :D

We got a tin of the stuff from a women's pro team that my partner was soigneur-ing for one year. Apparently great on the legs in a Belgian spring?

They also did warn Liz about making sure that she didn't get it on her chamois ... which considering how I literally scrape it off my face in the shower after a ski I think that I can understand ...  :o

Hmm, not sure we're talking about the same thing, dude.

You see, the udder cream I use isn't a heat cream, it's just like a regular emollient, so it wouldn't do you any favours in cold conditions. You stick it on the chamois, or rather on yourself, and it just keeps everything nice and slimy.

The heat cream I have is not very good though, so do let me know what you / your ladyshape is using if it's nice and spicy.

I used to use a product called Deem when I was a kid - turned your legs orange and your bits into an inferno if you forgot to wash hands before going for a pee - but if it still exists, it seems not to be available over here.
  • ReplyReply

• Kiwirider

• Neo Pro
    « Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 17:42 »
    Hmm, not sure we're talking about the same thing, dude.

You see, the udder cream I use isn't a heat cream, it's just like a regular emollient, so it wouldn't do you any favours in cold conditions. You stick it on the chamois, or rather on yourself, and it just keeps everything nice and slimy.

Sounds like the same thing - especially as the can says "graisse a traire" and "uierzalf" (it's Dutch apparently)   :D

No heat in it - at least not until you try to scrape it off with a scrubbing brush in the shower ...!!  :S :S :S

It keeps the cold and wet out by putting a solid layer of grease between your exposed skin and the rest of the world. For cycling/leg use I imagine that it'd go on as a surface layer after the heat rubs. Like I say, at -20 and below as a protection for my face while skiing it works wonderfully - stops the frost nip on the cheek bones and nose that anyone who lives in cold climates knows only too well ...

:)
  • ReplyReply

• Claudio Cappuccino

• National Champion
    • Venga! Venga! Venga!
    « Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 18:02 »
    My mum used to put 'uierzalf' on my BIG sunburned nose and ears [some thirty years back], it is an old farmers ointment, but would be hesistant to put that on while riding my bike.

Could get slippery that stuff!

Perhaps it works great for riding out of the saddle?

;)
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 20:23 »
    Sounds like the same thing - especially as the can says "graisse a traire" and "uierzalf" (it's Dutch apparently)   :D

No heat in it - at least not until you try to scrape it off with a scrubbing brush in the shower ...!!  :S :S :S

It keeps the cold and wet out by putting a solid layer of grease between your exposed skin and the rest of the world. For cycling/leg use I imagine that it'd go on as a surface layer after the heat rubs. Like I say, at -20 and below as a protection for my face while skiing it works wonderfully - stops the frost nip on the cheek bones and nose that anyone who lives in cold climates knows only too well ...

:)

Yep, that's the stuff, then. Sorry, I reached the wrong conclusion there! :P
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 20:24 »
    My mum used to put 'uierzalf' on my BIG sunburned nose and ears [some thirty years back], it is an old farmers ointment, but would be hesistant to put that on while riding my bike.

Could get slippery that stuff!

Perhaps it works great for riding out of the saddle?

;)

Nee, it's fine. I like it. :P
  • ReplyReply

• Claudio Cappuccino

• National Champion
    • Venga! Venga! Venga!
    « Reply #14 on: June 05, 2015, 21:14 »
    Specially for Larry the cowboy:

;)
  • ReplyReply

• Kiwirider

• Neo Pro
    « Reply #15 on: June 06, 2015, 00:00 »
    Nee, it's fine. I like it. :P
    CC - I'm with you! I wouldn't want it in my shorts!! Words fail trying to describe what it would feel like ...

... which makes me more than a little worried about L'Arri's enthusiasm for using it as a chamois cream!!!   :o :o :o

;)
  • ReplyReply

• 42x16ss

• Domestique
    • Liked: 380
    • Awards: Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014
    « Reply #16 on: June 12, 2015, 07:00 »
    I rarely use chamois cream any more since I stopped doing stage races. I only use it on new knicks or very long rides/races now. I've usually found that if your bike fit and saddle suit your body well it's not necessary most of the time.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Men's Kits 2018 by LukasCPH
    [December 10, 2017, 11:39]

Re: Men's Kits 2018 by Armchair Cyclist
    [December 09, 2017, 20:40]

Re: Men's Kits 2018 by LukasCPH
    [December 09, 2017, 20:24]

Re: Team Sponsorship 17/18 by pastronef
    [December 09, 2017, 19:25]

Re: Men's Kits 2018 by Leadbelly