collapse

hiero

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 890
1980's-90's tire levers - do you remember these?
« on: June 18, 2015, 01:18 »
Ok - I have a couple sets of tire levers from the 1980's/90's (early) that I love. But the plastic is old, and things are not good.

They are a 2-piece unit. The prime unit is an elongated y shape. The bottom leg of the y is a tire lever. The arms have two different end shapes, and are designed to aid installing a clincher. At the y juncture, there is a round slot, and the 2nd part of the set, which is strictly a tire lever, has a round head to nest in this slot. So the combined unit, from the side, has 3 legs, and a short curly top bit.

They are made of grey plastic. The label was a sticker - nothing stamped. I bought these back when. And I think they are great 'cuz they are a real help when installing tires. I do not remember the brand name. My LBS has never seen them before. Where I lived back then, most of the shops had them. Where I am now? Not. I think they may have been Swedish.

Anybody remember these well enough to provide a brand name? I could not find them online. I bought a Crank Bros product to replace them, and it works fine, but now I am curious as to what happened to this company and this product? I loved the product so much I bought like 4 sets, and now I'm down to 2. One of those has a broken end, and the other doesn't feel safe when I use it - the plastic feels like it is going to break.
  • ReplyReply
  • Eeyore sez . . .

Claudio Cappuccino

• National Champion
    • Liked: 741
    • Venga! Venga! Venga!

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5652
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    I've never seen such tyre levers before. Are they better than the orthodox ones?
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

hiero

• Road Captain
    I've never seen such tyre levers before. Are they better than the orthodox ones?

Yes - because they assist when mounting a tire. My thumbs are frequently not strong enough and/or it would take me all day just to mount some tires.

I will take a phone photo and post it. No promises of quality. Mine worked using functionality similar to the upper photo posted by Claudio C. Although the design was different.

I did break down and bought a newer design from Crank Bros that is available on the US market. I wasn't sure if they would work, but they do! So my workshop is running cool again!

Also - the plier like devices CC provided photos of are strictly for mounting - thus aren't really tire "levers", I think.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 16:28 by hiero, Reason: clarification »

hiero

• Road Captain
    Ok, here we go: a pic of the old lever sets I have left.

On the right you see the two-piece unit together. On the left, the inner lever is removed for use. In the center, that piece has already had the lever top broken off.

You can see the left side of the larger section has an upside down u-shaped foot. This fits on one side of a rim. The other foot (hook-shaped) is slid over the tire and used to pull the clincher wire of the tire up and into the rim bed.

The two units posted by CC use the same sort of action - one foot sits on the rim opposite the side you are trying to mount. And the other leg uses that as leverage to pull the tire into the rim bed. The new ones I got (mentioned previously) from Crank Bros use a single plastic tool and a different action - but I got them to work better than just using my thumbs!

http://www.crankbrothers.com/product/view/138

You can see that the install end has a channel section. This fits on the rim on the mounting side - and you slide it around - pushing the tire up and into the rim bed. I found soap and water to be a help on that action! And, CrankBros doesn't mention this usage, but I actually found the lever end more useful for remounting. Because it has that small lip on the back side of the lever - you can "catch" that lip on the mounting side rim edge, and use the lever in a reverse action to install the tire that last few inches that are so hard. Using two of these, with one used on the install side, and the 2nd used to lever the tire up and over - mounting was pretty easy.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Team Sponsorship 17/18 by LukasCPH
    [December 11, 2017, 22:22]

Re: Team Sponsorship 17/18 by Armchair Cyclist
    [December 11, 2017, 21:52]

Re: Team Sponsorship 17/18 by LukasCPH
    [December 11, 2017, 14:10]

Re: Men's Kits 2018 by jimmythecuckoo
    [December 11, 2017, 14:08]

Re: Men's Kits 2018 by LukasCPH