collapse

Poll

How much did your bike cost vs distance ridden on it so far? Cost ÷ miles (or KM)

Less than a pound, dollar, euro
Less than 5 pounds, 5 dollars, 5 euro's
Less than 10 £$€
Less than 30 £$€
Less than 50
Less than 100
Less than 300
Less than 500
Less than 1000
Less than 3000
*cough*
*splutter*
My chain cost 6000 quid, I used it for an hour.

Sauna in Duvel

• Domestic Rider
  • Liked: 83
So, I posted this elsewhere and it went down like a rocket propelled lead balloon that was magnetized to the Earth's core somehow (is Lead magnetic?)

Anyway. It's simple :)

Cold Hard Cash!

How many pounds / euro's / dollars did your bike cost divided by how far you have ridden it?

You don't have to be specific as there is a poll! However, being specific might help with your ongoing cycling therapy and we can all offer virtual tea, biscuits, blankets and hugs for the more *ahem* committed cyclists / bicycle fanatics.

Post away! Or don't! Garage Queens count as do everyday commuters. There is no right answer, only the truth. Which you get 4 goes at.

It would be nice if you mentioned the bikes and distance used so far, as then we can gauge how erm, bikingest? We all are. Or mad, not sure. You can write why you like the bike too - we'll email it to various support services upon your instructions. (Probably not to your nearest and dearests though).

:)

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5799
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    City bike cost I-can't-remember-how-much many years ago, but definitely less than 500 €. Put a bike computer on it in 2009, have ridden >6900 km on it.

Race bike cost 2000 €, I've ridden almost 8000 km on that one[1].

So I'm far below 1 €/km on both.
     1. and no, I won't tell you how many years ago I bought it.
    Spoiler (hover to show)
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

Joelsim

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1269
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015Current leader, 2015-17 Emerging Riders CQ game
    I've currently got 2 bikes which will eventually get traded for a CX, probably an On-One Pickenflick, or maybe a gravel bike.

My Boardman has cost me about £1,500 and has done over 5,000 miles easily, mostly commuting. All it has needed in that time is new brakes all round and a few services.

My Trek MTB is used for pootling around with my kids and cost £90 on eBay. This is the bike I use and leave locked to a lamppost etc too. That has done a good few hundred miles too, probably over 1,000.

• ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    I really have no idea for either of my bikes. I haven't really tallied my distances.

I would think it isn't a whole lot though.

Look was €3,200; Wilier was €2,200.

The Wilier is only eighteen months old and it has probably already done more kms than the Look.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

Sauna in Duvel

• Domestic Rider
    Here's a list of 4 bikes as an example.

'Own built bike', currently at 753 miles which is very apt as the tubing I built it from was Columbus Zona, which is not strictly Reynolds 753. Approx £3000 so that is just under 4 quid per mile so far.

'Roberts 531'. This was a gift but I think I spent around £500 on paint and parts, it's done around 2200 miles thus it's under the 30  pence per mile bracket.

'Cinelli track bike' recent buy and it's done 11 WHOLE MILES thus far, which is below the 100 per mile bracket but it's not doing great just yet. I aim to resolve this.

'Genesis 29er summat race?' This one is quite bad as I have done less than probably 1/2 mile on it (bought August) and it was about 450 pounds. So, at present, that puts me near but just under the 1000 pound mark. Ouch. In fairness (or in basic rubbish mitigation) someone else has done a bunch of miles on it but I don't know how many. Or, actually where it is. But yeah, that one needs a bit of sorting!

• ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3394
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    I stuffed it up - voted less than 3,000 but I didnt realise that it was supposed to be $ per km ...

It was about $1200 - but I have done over 1200 km on it (I installed a very basic computer when I bought it - and last time I looked which was a while ago it was over 1000 then)

so my bike doesnt owe me anything  :D
  • ReplyReply

• 42x16ss

• Domestique
    • Liked: 380
    • Awards: Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014
    I did the same as Aussie Goddess - my Cannondale cost me $3000 (but that doesn't include wheels, upgrades etc) but it has "paid" for itself a few times over each year.

The Johnson has only done about 230kms so far.... so it's firmly in the *cough* category for now :(
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10740
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    My trusty stead has paid for itself many times over and been treated like sh*t, so many years that the bike frame material is coming back into fashion.

But it is about to when I get some throw around money get some money thrown at it or retired to trainer only and just a really good clean  :)
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

stereojet

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 295
    • I'm still learning the ropes
    My latest cost over 2k but has only done a couple of hundred so far. Early days yet though...

n2 cost about a grand and has done thousands

n1 cost 700 and saved me £3 bus fare hundreds of times, so I reckon that one's made me a profit.
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1066
    Now we're talking... negative cost!

My current steed has done 2-3 thousand miles and cost be maybe 1k euro all in; I've nearly saved that much in bus fares so about to turn negative in cost.

My old 'good' bike has done some fair weather commuting, not enough to take it into negative territory, but enough to net the cost at a few hundred euros for a few thousand miles.

I justify bike spend on the basis that I'd be spending about £800 a year on public transport otherwise. Although I tend to forget about all those extra little costs: helmets, shoes, glasses, tyres, inners, lights, oils, pumps, tools, cleaning kit, oversocks, undershirts, jerseys, shorts, jacket for cold and wet, jacket for cold and dry, jacket for not cold but wet... I could go on....

• ReplyReply

• Kiwirider

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 331
    All of my toys are firmly in the under $1/km category.

The roadie is a Cannondale Six13 - paid about $5k all up in 2005 or 2006 (had it so long that I can't remember when I got it ...) for it. Cost was the new frame (to replace a Bianchi that split on me while riding home from work one winter night) and a rebuild of wheels. The gear all came off the old bike - and is a combo of Record and Chorus. Estimate now would be that it's cost something under 10c/km.

Next is the MTB - a Cannondale Scalpel bought in 2007 for about $4k. Main cost was a new frame and a new set of handbuilt wheels. Most of the gear was on its third bike by then - SRAM X.0, Hope and Raceface. Again not sure of mileage, but it'd be firmly in the under 25c/km category. MTB's are pretty much always lower mileage than roadies, so never as much "value" - although I reckon that the smile factor is 100x higher with an MTB!   :D :D

(There's a pattern here - kit the bike out sensibly with moderately robust, high quality kit and, even though it costs more up front, you can replace the small parts that wear out and can keep the gear going for many years ...)

Last of the current stable is the Cannonale X6 cyclocross bike. Bike itself cost $1k in 2008, but I spent another $800 or so on replacing the Shi-t-mano with Campag (including a new set of handbuilt wheels - my first time ever wheel building!!). The bike was used for racing, training and a 50km/day commute (down to 15km in winter), so was under the $1/km mark within the first couple of months of owning it. Cost now would be down well under 1c/km ...

:cool

And like Captain Cavman says, if you add in the avoided petrol, bus/train fares, etc, the trusty steeds are even cheaper still. And that's even if you add back in all of the additional costs that bikes give you - like tyres, trips to Spain to go riding, bike magazines and extra shaving foam and razors for the legs!!!   ;) ;) ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 13:58 by Kiwirider »

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    City bike cost I-can't-remember-how-much many years ago, but definitely less than 500 €. Put a bike computer on it in 2009, have ridden >6900 km on it.
    Correction: I looked in the wrong spreadsheet[1] - I've actually broken the 7000 km barrier! :cool
     1. don't ask
  • ReplyReply

• l29205

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 127
    Well my main go to bike is a 1992 era De Rosa (go figure).  It was my main race/training bike from purchase to my stopping racing around 2005.  During that time I averaged about 300-500Km per week per year.  The bike was pretty inexpensive since I worked for a bike shop during that time but was still around $2k with about $3k in wheels and maintenance over the years  So pretty cheap.  Still ride it about 100-150Km per week.

Previous race bike was a 1983 era Rossin Crit. bike.  I still have it.  I put in more mileage on it prior to getting the De Rosa since it was my only bike.  Still rode it in Crits. until I stopped racing.  Damn thing could turn scary fast.  Squirrely as all hell but beautiful going through a corner.  About $1500 for the frame and Campy super record, and another $250 for race wheels.  But 9 years of primary riding has made it cheap per mile/Km.

Time trail bike number one, Kestrel KM40 first generation.  Worst handling bike I have ever ridden.  Maybe $3000 invested.  It was my go to Tri-bike.  I got me through Kona which is all I could have hoped for it.  Still spent time on it training but probably the worst of my investments in bikes.

Time trail bike number two, a custom 6/4 titanium with 650c wheels when that was all the rage.  About $5000 for it with Dura Ace this was about 1999.  It was my go to TT or Tri-bike.  Training time was once a week or twice for about 60- 200 Km's depending on if I was training for a big race.  My son currently rides it with me when we go out and train together.  Still pretty cheap.

Time trail bike number 3, Cervelo p3c.  Simple easy to ride TT bike that if need be can be a daily rider as long as you are flexible.  This one was really cheap.  Grabbed the frame online for less than $500 re-proposed the Dura Ace from the KM40 new Hed 3c's for wheels and I was still under $1500.  I split my time between the De Rosa and this bike.  It sits on my computrainer and if I cannot get out to bike I ride this one inside.  Due to work it seems I am sitting inside biking more than I do outside any more.  very cheap on a dollar per Km.

Mountain Bike 3 Klein Pulse Comp.  Always was my cross training bike.  Circa 2003 maybe 200Km per month.  It is something to get me off the road.  List about $2k but got it from the bike shop I used to work for for about $1k.  Nice little bike for the money.  Probably could spend more time on it particularly during bad weather when I am inclined to be on the Cervelo riding the Computrainer.  Mountain bike 1 and 2 both stolen similar costs and mileage not nearly enough time with me however

Well that was a little long winded, and does not include all the bikes that I have just picked up here and there.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    ... gold ...

Liked for the enjoyable description of how these bikes ride. I laughed that the posh Kestrel turned out to be a crap ride. :lol
  • ReplyReply

• Sauna in Duvel

• Domestic Rider
    Wow, you're all so.. cyclingest.

What's wrong with spending a small or large fortune on a bike, hanging it on the wall and just staring at it?   ;)
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    Last of the current stable is the Cannonale X6 cyclocross bike. Bike itself cost $1k in 2008, but I spent another $800 or so on replacing the Shi-t-mano with Campag (including a new set of handbuilt wheels - my first time ever wheel building!!)

Campag on CX, a rare thing these days. That is srsly cool.
  • ReplyReply

• Kiwirider

• Domestic Rider
    Campag on CX, a rare thing these days. That is srsly cool.

Thanks.   :D

And I reckon that it's worth extra points because it was built during the days where, if you asked Campag about putting their kit on a 'cross bike, they threatened to get the Mafia onto you!!    :s :s   (even if I do say so myself!)

It's predominantly Veloce - the "you bend it, you pay to mend it" factor being the determinant there.

Will post a picture in the "Your Ride" thread when I finally put the lovely new Ritchey WCS full carbon fork that has been gathering dust for a couple of years onto it ...

:D
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 19:14 by Kiwirider »

Kiwirider

• Domestic Rider
    My trusty stead has ... been treated like sh*t ...

I suspect that I treat my bikes in similar fashion.

However, I prefer to refer to it as:"I ride like a pro" ...

... which translates to: "when I'm done riding my bike, I hang it up and expect someone else to come along and clean and maintain it for me"   :angel :angel
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    I suspect that I treat my bikes in similar fashion.

However, I prefer to refer to it as:"I ride like a pro" ...

... which translates to: "when I'm done riding my bike, I hang it up and expect someone else to come along and clean and maintain it for me"   :angel :angel
    Don't we all ... :flustered
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Don't we all ... :flustered

I always thought you and Laz would have the tooth brushes and de greaser out after every ride.

I may have turned over a new leaf lately last year a brought a cleaning kit and after yesterdays ride I thought about using the kit and cleaning the bike

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    I always thought you and Laz would have the tooth brushes and de greaser out after every ride.
    :rofl:
    L'arri maybe, but me ... :-x

I may have turned over a new leaf lately last year a brought a cleaning kit and after yesterdays ride I thought about using the kit and cleaning the bike

This sounds much more like me. :D
  • ReplyReply

• Kiwirider

• Domestic Rider

Don't do it - you'll create a whole raft of problems!! Your drive train will have bedded in nicely to work with all of the crud on the bike and if you clean it the cables will be stretched, the chain will skip, the derailleurs wont move as easily ....   :S :S :S

It's just not worth the aggravation!!!! 

;)
  • ReplyReply

• 42x16ss

• Domestique
    All of my toys are firmly in the under $1/km category.

The roadie is a Cannondale Six13 - paid about $5k all up in 2005 or 2006 (had it so long that I can't remember when I got it ...) for it. Cost was the new frame (to replace a Bianchi that split on me while riding home from work one winter night) and a rebuild of wheels. The gear all came off the old bike - and is a combo of Record and Chorus. Estimate now would be that it's cost something under 10c/km.

Next is the MTB - a Cannondale Scalpel bought in 2007 for about $4k. Main cost was a new frame and a new set of handbuilt wheels. Most of the gear was on its third bike by then - SRAM X.0, Hope and Raceface. Again not sure of mileage, but it'd be firmly in the under 25c/km category. MTB's are pretty much always lower mileage than roadies, so never as much "value" - although I reckon that the smile factor is 100x higher with an MTB!   :D :D

(There's a pattern here - kit the bike out sensibly with moderately robust, high quality kit and, even though it costs more up front, you can replace the small parts that wear out and can keep the gear going for many years ...)

Last of the current stable is the Cannonale X6 cyclocross bike. Bike itself cost $1k in 2008, but I spent another $800 or so on replacing the Shi-t-mano with Campag (including a new set of handbuilt wheels - my first time ever wheel building!!). The bike was used for racing, training and a 50km/day commute (down to 15km in winter), so was under the $1/km mark within the first couple of months of owning it. Cost now would be down well under 1c/km ...

:cool

And like Captain Cavman says, if you add in the avoided petrol, bus/train fares, etc, the trusty steeds are even cheaper still. And that's even if you add back in all of the additional costs that bikes give you - like tyres, trips to Spain to go riding, bike magazines and extra shaving foam and razors for the legs!!!   ;) ;) ;)
    I like your theme here Kiwi  :cool I've had my fair share of Cannondales too - a Saeco red CAAD7, a UHC System Six (best crit bike EVER) and a Super Six Hi Mod. When I've been spending my own money it's hard to go past Cannondale, my new race bike is the first non-Cannondale I've bought in a long time.

Post Merge: June 29, 2015, 23:20
    Wow, you're all so.. cyclingest.

What's wrong with spending a small or large fortune on a bike, hanging it on the wall and just staring at it?   ;)
    No way! Bikes get sad when they are sitting on the wall gathering dust. They're supposed to be out doing what they were made for.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3363
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    No idea at all on my mileage.

had the kona cx since, um, 2010? so five years.

Cost:
    £750 new, might have been a bit more than that maybe £799 or £899, id just had my redundancy money so i didnt pay much attention :D
    New tyres every year but im a cheapskate so 5 x £30 - £150
    new brakes about once a year, but again, cheapskate so about 5x£20 - £100
    new eggbeaters last year £50 to replace the old ones £30 - £80
    Lights - £70
    Probably spent about £100 here and there on bits n bobs, one new chain, tubes, odds and ends, headset and bottom bracket bearings etc
    total about £1200-£1400 or so

and its done a lot more than 1200 miles in 5 years. So im well in the < 0.0005 £ per KM

its used a lot, anywhere i go is on the bike unless i have the accordian with me. its in the porch so even if im going to the shop which is five minutes walk i take the bike

and now ive got a garage with a jetwash five minutes away its even washed once a month now..

Previous bikes, the old mtb cost £150 and did about 8000 miles..

If I really go back, the old Puegot cost me £100 (showing my age), and did about 400km a week for four-five years solid, the second Peugot similar.

And if i really go back, my old chopper was free when i was 9 and i rode that thing solidly till i got the peugot
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 01:09 by Dim »

hiero

• National Champion
    • Liked: 671
    . . .No way! Bikes get sad when they are sitting on the wall gathering dust. They're supposed to be out doing what they were made for.

Disagree. Some bikes are just plain beeee aaaaa uuuuu tiful. And, alternatively, some bikes have done their PB, and it's all downhill - bike-career-wise.  Like fer instance the steed that carried Andy Hampsten over the Gavia in la neve. It would be a downright shame to ride that bad boy into dust, eh?
  • ReplyReply
  • Ubi est ignis

42x16ss

• Domestique
    Disagree. Some bikes are just plain beeee aaaaa uuuuu tiful. And, alternatively, some bikes have done their PB, and it's all downhill - bike-career-wise.  Like fer instance the steed that carried Andy Hampsten over the Gavia in la neve. It would be a downright shame to ride that bad boy into dust, eh?
    True, I get your point. But don't forget that bikes such as Hampsten's LandShark would have been raced harder than 99.9% of all bikes ever made. It got it's chance to LIVE!

When a top of the line bike is never ridden at all, I just can't help but die a little inside.  It's like using the latest model Ferrari to only go to the corner store, or never letting a prize thoroughbred leave the stables. Good race bikes have personalities, and each one should get a chance to express it.
  • ReplyReply

• Kiwirider

• Domestic Rider
    Good race bikes have personalities, and each one should get a chance to express it.
    Totally agree.

Also, how do you define "a bike"?
    By that I mean, they're kinda like the proverbial Grandfather's Axe (three new heads, four new handles, but still as good as the day it was bought!)

Chains, casssettes, chainrings, derailleurs (as the sprngs wear), seats, pedals, wheels/tyres, handlebars, brake levers (the latter two being classic crash victims) are all regularly replaced - which brings us down to seatposts, brake calipers, cranks, brackets, headsets and of course frame and fork being the "heart of the bike" ...

That means that many of the bits that make the bike a thing of beauty today may not be on it tomorrow - or weren't on in yesterday when you fell in love with it ... So (to go all Zen here) what did you actually find beautiful?

These bits that are the heart of a bike don't really wear out - or at least not in a way that isn't easily taken care of with a  bearing/set of bearings and that doesn't change the visual appearance of the bike ...

To come back to your example of Hampstens bike - or even better, since apparently it is regularly ridden today, one of Roche's triple crown bikes - you can guarantee that over 75% of that bike has been changed at various stages ...

Which makes me say "no" to Hiero and to say that, while I agree that there are bikes that are a thing of beauty, they are beautiful because of their functional form ... so use them as much as they are able to be. Subject to exceptional bikes where there is a historical significance in retiring them (eg., Coppi's Bianchi, complete with the dirt from the race), ride them until the small parts that keep them going are no longer available ... Then, and only then, should they become decorations ...

... or at least that's my point of view ...

:D :D
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    Bikes are really Beautiful when you have " that " feeling, your breathing, the motion of your legs being perfectly timed , the correct gear and the world being the bubble that you are in

The rest is just fluff ride ém I say  :)
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 889
    Less I ride they give me more expensive bikes and kit!
  • ReplyReply
  • Reverend Fred Saves!!

lancasterke

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 467
    • Awards: Thread of the year 2015

Also, how do you define "a bike"?
    By that I mean, they're kinda like the proverbial Grandfather's Axe (three new heads, four new handles, but still as good as the day it was bought!)

Like the proverb old chinese proverb that you cannot swim in the same river twice, as both you and the river are transformed by the previous swim, you can't ride the same bike twice.

when I think about the run rate of bike costs, i run up maintenence and new past as the cost, so maybe it costs £150/yr + purchase cost amortised over years since purchased<<<<<<< than travel card + gym membership

or at least that's what i tell the gf
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Slag om Norg by DJW
    [June 28, 2017, 22:36]

Re: Slag om Norg by Echoes
    [June 28, 2017, 21:41]

Re: Men's Kits 2017 by t-72
    [June 28, 2017, 21:15]

Re: Men's Kits 2017 by LukasCPH
    [June 28, 2017, 21:04]