collapse

kevchenko13

• Domestic Rider
  • Liked: 92
GB domestic teams and races news
« on: July 03, 2015, 21:16 »
http://www.elystandard.co.uk/news/circuit_of_the_fens_2015_cancelled_after_tv_rights_not_secured_and_sponsors_pull_out_but_hopefully_it_will_return_in_2016_1_4138911  :(

Shame this, but I don't think the race was that well-known outside of the immediate area.  Jimmy, anything you can add to this?
  • ReplyReply

• Jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 810
    • Original Fendrien...
      • Fendrien
    Re: GB domestic teams and races news
    « Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 09:39 »
    I can.

If you remember last years race had a shadow cast over it when in the amateur race an NFTO rider cam down at over 50km and was injured badly by some farming machinery at the road side.

There was a bit of nervousness locally at this.

The other main factor that I see is that Vericool who organise the event have been really busy with the Tour of Cambridgeshire closed road Gran Fondo until the middle of June.

Now I am speculating wildly here but there are two scenarios I see from this...

Tour of Cambs took up so much time that their eye was off the ball for Circuit of the Fens.
    or
    Cambs was such an economic success in comparison to promoting a round of the BCF Premier Calendar that the numbers simply didn't stack up.

My belief is a combination of both.

Its really sad as the event is run on challenging roads with little traffic and anyone who tells you riding the fens in a cinch has clearly never been there.

They talk in the local media of the event coming back if a date change for television can be agreed but with an amateur world championship qualifying event to make bigger and better again next June, I wonder.
  • ReplyReply
  • The fens are just West West Flanders really...

kevchenko13

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 10:36 »
    Thanks Jimmy.

Maybe they could move it, make it the elite road series opener and race in late March (the month, not the town).  That might give a better gap to the Grand Fondo - indeed it could be part of the regional build up.  And also, the winds would probably be even stronger...
  • ReplyReply

• kevchenko13

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 10:40 »
    I'd not heard of young Gabriel Cullaigh
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/gabriel-cullaigh-wins-stafford-kermesse-video-and-photos-180715
    but that's a dramatic win there to hold of the bunch at the end.
  • ReplyReply

• Jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 810
    • Original Fendrien...
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 11:59 »
    And also, the winds would probably be even stronger...

March April time is really brutal. Its continuous wind. At least come the summer you get the odd day of calm and other days with random gusts.
  • ReplyReply

• kevchenko13

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 14:44 »
    GB National Criterium (Circuit Race) Championships today, on Eurosport 2 from 6:15pm.  Held in Barnsley.

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/nationalcircuitchampionships/article/20150727-Guide--2015-British-Cycling-National-Circuit-Race-Championships-0
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts