collapse

AG

• Monument Winner
  • Liked: 3480
  • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
Crashes involving race vehicles
« on: September 03, 2015, 10:59 »
there has been soooo many this year.

It is obviously becoming more and more of a problem. 

What should we do to fix it?   what steps should we be taking to improve rider safety?

Jim Och wrote to the UCI/Brian Cookson about what he thinks. 

http://www.bmc-switzerland.com/us-en/experience/the-feedzone/an_open_letter_to_the_uci/
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 11:12 by L'arri, Reason: clean OP title »

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    Re: crashes with vehicles in races
    « Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 11:02 »
    there has been soooo many this year.

It is obviously becoming more and more of a problem. 

What should we do to fix it?   what steps should we be taking to improve rider safety?

Jim Och wrote to the UCI/Brian Cookson about what he thinks. 

http://www.bmc-switzerland.com/us-en/experience/the-feedzone/an_open_letter_to_the_uci/

I am curious as to the reasons for this apparent increase in incidents. First of all whether it is perceived or real. If so, is it pure statistical coincidence, are there too many vehicles of all sorts, are the drivers inexperienced?

One for Shane, perhaps.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

DJW

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 845
    • Awards: Reigning Vuelta Prediction ChampRio Olympic Games Prediction Champ
    « Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 11:10 »
    I know what Oleg thinks...

https://twitter.com/olegtinkov/status/639099393078071296

On a more serious note, there surely must be more training for the riders and greater repercussions when incidents occur.
    We can talk about there being too many vehicles on narrow courses, but we see on every stage moto riders taking ridiculous risks in an attemot to get close ups of every rider. One moto cut up Montaguti going inside him on a bend on a descent yesterday, stuff like that is just unaccapetable.
  • ReplyReply

• stereojet

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 298
    • I'm still learning the ropes
    « Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 11:13 »
    I'm sure the time is coming when drone cameras will take the place of motos. With hilarious (and dangerous) consequences, I'd imagine.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9127
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    Re: Crashes involving race vehicles
    « Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 22:07 »
    the Vuelta has send out a Información urgente today

NOTE TO THE FOLLOWERS OF THE 2015 VUELTA

As a result of the incidents of the last two days, the race directors and the panel of commissaires call upon the drivers of all the vehicles following the race (cars and motorcycles) to be even more vigilant and always give way to the riders.

Drivers are required to keep a safety distance and avoid obstructing the movements of the Sports Directors' vehicles at the back of the race. Any vehicles responsible for incidents or inappropriate behaviour shall be expelled from the event by the race directors and the panel of commissaires immediately and with no possibility of appeal.
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Yellow Peril

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 257
    • Awards: best new member of 2016
    « Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 18:32 »
    I thought I'd ressurrect this this thread.

Most of the Moto incidents that I can recall in the last couple of years have been on narrow roads or with closing gap situations arising out of a camera moto getting too close.

today's moto incident (Kuurne - Brussells- Kuurne) was the most blatant example of negligence by a moto rider that I can remember. Broeckx could be seen to be moving out of the Peleton and across the carriageway to the right yet the moto rider still chose to try and cross the closing gap. Was he a camera moto? no he was a medical moto. Was he responding to a medical emergency? not to my knowledge, in fact he appeared to be in the business of making them.

I believe the issue is that there are far more vehicles hovering around the Peleton than ever. On closed road racing other than a couple of camera motos and the Commissaires who else should be there?

Rant over
  • ReplyReply
  • Giving my view on life, cycling and the desire to do a sub 26min 10mTT on the Isle of Man @JaunePeril

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1902
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 17:28 »
    Ochowicz weighs in again.

http://www.bmc-switzerland.com/int-en/experience/the-feedzone/an_open_letter_to_the_uci-1/

29, February 2016

On September 1, 2015, less than one year ago, I wrote a similar letter after an alarming number of crashes involving vehicles had taken place in the peloton since the beginning of the 2015 season. Despite my reaching out for help at that time, the problem became even more prominent as the season went on and we watched in disbelief. Now here I am again asking the powers to be to take notice.

This weekend we saw two serious incidents take place that involved vehicles on the race course taking down riders on live television at La Drôme Classic in France and Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne in Belgium. Incredible! The riders deserve far more respect than what they are receiving from those who are responsible for protecting their safety. We all understand that there exists an element of danger in the sport of cycling from a number of places and conditions but no rider expects to be run down from behind by an over-enthusiastic pilot on a closed race course. Disgraceful!

This has got to stop before the headlines in the future are of a more disturbing nature than what we have seen in 2015 and now again in 2016.

To the UCI, I am turning to you for answers and solutions.

Respectfully,

Jim Ochowicz

President/General Manager, BMC Racing Team
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1641
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 17:47 »
     I have to admit to wondering why Broeckx was heading for the central reservation, before he was clipped by the motor bike.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9127
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 17:54 »
    Ochowicz weighs in again.

http://www.bmc-switzerland.com/int-en/experience/the-feedzone/an_open_letter_to_the_uci-1/

people saying something just to say something have always been my favorites...
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 09:40 »
    I have to admit to wondering why Broeckx was heading for the central reservation, before he was clipped by the motor bike.

Perhaps he pinged off either to survey the peloton - to find his team leader for example - or to slip back down to the team car. I know that I drift when I'm looking over my left shoulder too, which can be dangerous in traffic.
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 759
    « Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 02:39 »
    I'm sure the time is coming when drone cameras will take the place of motos. With hilarious (and dangerous) consequences, I'd imagine.

I am sure you jest, yet actually the concept has merit. AMOF, I believe we will see exactly this within the next few years. With proper design and care - drone "photo-motos" will be far safer than what we have today - and they won't occupy road space. AND, they can go into spaces, like between buildings in town, where we really have no coverage today. AND, they will be quieter than helos. AND . . . . more etc other things, so many reasons.

Sure a flying drone is dangerous - think flying lawn mower - but at the same time - the danger is relative. The motos are dangerous! Drones can help mitigate the risk.
  • ReplyReply
  • Faut y croire!

hiero

• Road Captain
    « Reply #11 on: March 27, 2016, 03:02 »
    I thought I'd ressurrect this this thread.

Most of the Moto incidents that I can recall in the last couple of years have been on narrow roads or with closing gap situations arising out of a camera moto getting too close.

today's moto incident (Kuurne - Brussells- Kuurne) was the most blatant example of negligence by a moto rider that I can remember. Broeckx could be seen to be moving out of the Peleton and across the carriageway to the right yet the moto rider still chose to try and cross the closing gap. Was he a camera moto? no he was a medical moto. Was he responding to a medical emergency? not to my knowledge, in fact he appeared to be in the business of making them.

I believe the issue is that there are far more vehicles hovering around the Peleton than ever. On closed road racing other than a couple of camera motos and the Commissaires who else should be there?

Rant over

No stew is made from a single ingredient. The motos need to be more careful - better pre-race training - but also better prioritizing. We need to better use current technology to get the videos that the market currently wants. The size of the peloton needs to be reduced (this is majorly important).
       Given the current market demand for cycling coverage (meaning profit is available), we are NOT going to see a return to the peloton of decades past - "take it easy, 'piano', until 30 km from the finish". Today, it's full gas, all the way, for EVERYBODY. Big change.
        So, the peloton is more likely to make accident-level mistakes, more of the peloton is there, and more motos are there. AND, more of the motos are more aggressive - "Get that picture!".

The whole recipe needs adjustment. Soon. Phinney nearly lost his life and career. But hey, you guys can provide more examples than I can think of.
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    « Reply #12 on: March 27, 2016, 20:03 »
    And bad news has come before good news.

Antoine Demoitié is in bad shape, apparently.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/03/news/gent-wevelgem-rider-hit-by-moto-after-crash_399950

Keeping my fingers crossed.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #13 on: March 28, 2016, 02:12 »
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/03/news/gent-wevelgem-rider-hit-by-moto-after-crash_399950

this says it was updated an hr ago and that he has died     :(    :(    :(

So sad for his wife and family.   

seriously - there were so many moto's ... it was only a matter of time before something like this happened.

It is so sad that it has cost a young man his life before anything is done.  This was forseeable ... so angry
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    « Reply #14 on: March 28, 2016, 04:12 »

this says it was updated an hr ago and that he has died     :(    :(    :(

So sad for his wife and family.   

seriously - there were so many moto's ... it was only a matter of time before something like this happened.

It is so sad that it has cost a young man his life before anything is done.  This was forseeable ... so angry

Concur. I had sent a tweet to Cookson back when Sagan got clipped. Sent an email a couple of weeks ago. And now my unfortunate prediction has come true. This is very bad.
  • ReplyReply

• Claudio Cappuccino

• National Champion
    • Liked: 740
    • Venga! Venga! Venga!
    « Reply #15 on: March 28, 2016, 09:13 »
    Cyclists dying during a race is from all times but those avoidable are the saddest I think.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_professional_cyclists_who_died_during_a_race
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #16 on: March 28, 2016, 11:25 »
    How about we put together a list of all the moto/vehicle v cyclist incidents in races over hte last few years.

Attach video if you can find it ...

• ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #17 on: March 28, 2016, 11:29 »
    How about we put together a list of all the moto/vehicle v cyclist incidents in races over hte last few years.

AG: There's a job for you over in chat. :fp

• ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #18 on: March 28, 2016, 11:31 »
    I was thinking more where the moto caused the crash ....
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    « Reply #19 on: March 28, 2016, 11:34 »
    I was thinking more where the moto caused the crash ....

TBH, other than those already recently commented upon, the only other one I can recall (vaguely) was, I think CAS? getting clipped, several years ago..........
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #20 on: March 28, 2016, 11:36 »
    well

Peter Sagan at the Vuelta 2015

Greg Van Avermaat at Classica San Sebastion 2015
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tv-motorcycle-collides-with-van-avermaet-at-clsica-san-sebastin/

• ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    « Reply #21 on: March 28, 2016, 11:37 »
     Well, I was nearly right with the rider.

• ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    « Reply #22 on: March 28, 2016, 11:42 »
    Well, another very recent one then. KBK 2016 Stig Broeckx:-

http://video.eurosport.co.uk/cycling/kuurne-brussel-kuurne/2016/stig-broeckx-avoids-serious-injury-after-being-hit-by-motorbike_vid526764/video.shtml

That's my contribution finished for now. Will wrack my old brains....
  • ReplyReply

• Claudio Cappuccino

• National Champion
    • Liked: 740
    • Venga! Venga! Venga!
    « Reply #23 on: March 28, 2016, 11:46 »

When you look closely to the Brammeier video you will see there were cars/motards on the racing line. His ludicrous speed was also a big reason of course.

And of course Jesse Sergent:

Hoogerland:

• ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    « Reply #24 on: March 28, 2016, 12:00 »
    Yup. Share the love with cars, I say.

Here's one I hadn't seen or heard about. Sergio Henao 2012 Vuelta at just over a minute in.
    Some elements of yesterday's tragedy in here:

• ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #25 on: March 28, 2016, 13:31 »
    The Jesse Sergeant incident wasnt the only one at the Tour of Flanders last year.

https://twitter.com/cyclingreporter/status/584706261381472256

neutral service crashed into FDJ car who hit Sebastian Chavanel

(its shown after the Sergant crash)

• ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #26 on: March 28, 2016, 13:37 »
    and the Vuelta 2015 also had 2 incidents.   The Saga on shown above, and a report that Sergio Paulinho was also involved in a collision with a motorbike

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/09/news/paulinho-out-of-vuelta-after-another-moto-incident_383516

• ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner

hiero

• Road Captain
    « Reply #29 on: March 28, 2016, 15:37 »
    great article by Neal Rogers

http://cyclingtips.com/2016/03/commentary-gent-wevelgem-fatality-a-tragedy-that-has-been-a-long-time-coming/

It is a good article. He points to better driver training - or perhaps a conversion to a professional cadre of race drivers.
  • ReplyReply

•