collapse

QuintanaWiggo

• Domestic Rider
  • Liked: 28
Oh my goodness: The Tour of Britain
« on: September 03, 2015, 17:53 »
so it starts on the 6th and so overlaps with the Vuelta by a whole week.

:o :o

actually we could do with a longer tour couldn't we.  Its hardly a Tour of Britain when you look at the map.  It doesn't touch the south-west.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 19:29 by QuintanaWiggo »

t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3276
    Re: Oh my goodness: The Tour of Britain
    « Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 21:25 »
    I am not British, haven't sen the route you are talking about, but I wrote in an earlier post after this year's Norwegian races that it is about time that the UK and Scandinavia get their WT races. The three important Norwegian tour races and the tour of Yorkshire all had better audiences, I mean a lot more people and a lot more fun and enthousiasm than many of the WT races that run around the same hills in Continental Europe all the time + great racing as well. Now time for the best racers to be present as well.

Tour of Britain for WT!  :)
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1042
    « Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 22:10 »
    I am not British, haven't sen the route you are talking about, but I wrote in an earlier post after this year's Norwegian races that it is about time that the UK and Scandinavia get their WT races. The three important Norwegian tour races and the tour of Yorkshire all had better audiences, I mean a lot more people and a lot more fun and enthousiasm than many of the WT races that run around the same hills in Continental Europe all the time + great racing as well. Now time for the best racers to be present as well.

Tour of Britain for WT!  :)

The problem I have with races like that going to WT level is that it would mean that the Continental teams of those countries wouldn't be able to ride in those races. If the UK had a bigger UCI racing Calendar than the Tour of Britain, Tour of Yorkshire as stage races and I think 4 one day races it wouldn't be so bad that some of the racing was at WT level but to suddenly have most of the race days not available to most of the teams in that country is a bad idea to me.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3276
    « Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 22:54 »
    I am tempted to say you got more than 10 times as many people, cyclists, roads and corporations that have the cash to sponsor in Britain compared to what we have here in Norway. However, we have 2 2.HC and 1 2.1 event that provides such an arena for our 5 (!) continental teams to race against some of the WT and pro-conti teams.

I agree Britain also need such arenas as they are very important in rider development,but hey, that shouldn't stop you from getting a WT event to Britain on a yearly schedule, and tour of Britain seems the best candidate at this time. To take care of the conti teams, all you need to do is to make a new 2.1 or 2.HC event. If we can have 3 good ones here, Britain should have the potential to accommodate quite a few more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • ReplyReply

• QuintanaWiggo

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 08:07 »
    What has the higher standing the Vuelta or the Giro?

ToB is a very poor relation for our premier race.
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1784
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 18:26 »
    I agree Britain also need such arenas as they are very important in rider development,but hey, that shouldn't stop you from getting a WT event to Britain on a yearly schedule

The thing though is the back end of WT is hardly an upgrade from 2.HC - You can force people to show up but you can't force them to be competitive. Basically they would end up with a less fun race to watch. Local support would drop because of less local talent. On top of that more good doms in WT kills all attacks. I mean I wouldn't care anymore for Tour of Poland than for say Norway regardless of its ranking. Also you would narrow down the youth development. Take *dk as an example, if PDR was WT well maybe Trefor-Blue Water steps up, but without that race Riwal and QoloQuick would then close. Basically less chances for Danish talents to lead a team.

I think a WT classic would be the best thing for Britain in terms of WT.
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1042
    « Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 16:36 »
    I think a WT classic would be the best thing for Britain in terms of WT.

I wouldn't really have a problem with the Ride London - Surrey Classic becoming a WT race from the perspective of UK conti teams having one day races to compete in. I'd be more worried for the Conti teams if the ToB went WT without there being more than just the Tour de Yorkshire in terms of UCI stage racing in the country.
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1784
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 17:13 »
    I wouldn't really have a problem with the Ride London - Surrey Classic becoming a WT race from the perspective of UK conti teams having one day races to compete in. I'd be more worried for the Conti teams if the ToB went WT without there being more than just the Tour de Yorkshire in terms of UCI stage racing in the country.

I think I would prefer a one day race in Yorkshire just for the better parcours. Also I think interest will be higher as London has more sports events to compete with. So basically merge TdY with the old Wincanton palmares, to form a one-day TdY.
  • ReplyReply

• DJW

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 891
    • Awards: Rio Olympics Prediction Champ
    « Reply #8 on: September 05, 2015, 18:00 »
    I'd have doubts about Ride London going WT. The course itself is not very selective and would have to be a lot harder to produce exciting racing at WT level, plus it's the same weekend as San Sebastian.

I also think ToB needs to stay where it is as 2.HC because of the Vuelta and Worlds.

Agree a WT one day race would be good but the TdY was actually quite exciting too this year. maybe a separate WT classic after LBL and the TdY after that?

Think the TdY should also maybe expand to incorporate Cumbria and Northumberland, maybe the Peak District too, then ToB can focus on other areas.
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1613
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015
    « Reply #9 on: September 05, 2015, 20:08 »
    Agree. The TDY was a great race as were the stages held there last year.

The TOB is an average race and probably always will be.
  • ReplyReply

• QuintanaWiggo

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 10:38 »
    so we're wapping it over to Stoke-on-Trent

quick blast out round the Peaks and into Nottingham before sun down...

still having the problem of explaining why there's no 'proper' pro's in this race.

:o :o

Where's Froome?  he's in Spain now watch it  and be quiet....     :-x
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts