collapse

DJW

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 891
  • Awards: Rio Olympics Prediction Champ
Team WIGGINS
« on: September 06, 2015, 20:52 »
[img width= height=]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7f/Team_Wiggins_Logo.png[/img]

#wiggins

Owain Doull's 4th at the ToB today is arguably their best result so far. He's a supremely talented rider and I would not be remotely surprised to see him join Sky for the 2017 season (he apparently rejected an offer from Europcar for this season).

I'm not sure if they are adding to their ranks for next season but I imagine it will be much the strategy same as this season, with Doull, Wiggins, Burke and Tennant working towards the Olympics whilst they hope to get a couple of decent placings at the Tour of Yorkshire, Tour of Britain and the Tour Series.

After next year, it will be interesting to see what happens with the team. Assuming they lose Doull and Wiggins, they will need to keep signing young talent to give the team any purpose. 19 year old Chris Lawless is meant to be a very talented rider so hopefully they will be able to develop him, but I imagine mostly they will offer  #teamgb track cyclists the chance to develop their skills on the road without fully committing to another team during an olympic cycle.

The success of the likes of Wiggins, Thomas and Kennaugh and more recently Simon Yates in transferring from the British track squad to the road bodes well for Doull and other riders coming through the Team Wiggins ranks.

Also not sure why they appear to have changed their kit for the Tour of Britain, hope it's not a permanent move...

https://twitter.com/OfficialWIGGINS/status/640458843223408640
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1613
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015

stereojet

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 299
    • I'm still learning the ropes
    Re: Team WIGGINS
    « Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 09:05 »
    The kit's Rapha's Tom Simpson memorial jersey. Available at a bargain-mungous 130 smackers. I think they'll be back to their regular Wiggins stuff today.
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 4451
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2018KeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 10:32 »
    About Team WIGGINS (all caps) yesterday I asked on twitter is it fair that two teams (Team WIGGINS (all caps) and Team SKY (all caps)) with the same sponsors can race the same race? I thought this was not allowed.

It's like a 12-man team.
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith
    RIP krebs

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6772
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 10:53 »
    About Team WIGGINS (all caps) yesterday I asked on twitter is it fair that two teams (Team WIGGINS (all caps) and Team SKY (all caps)) with the same sponsors can race the same race? I thought this was not allowed.

It's like a 12-man team.

Or an 18-man team?

:lol
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2018KeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 10:53 »
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 10:55 »
    :o

I think that makes 15% of this peloton sponsored by Sky. :P
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
      • Music To Your Ears
    « Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 10:56 »

It's like a 12-man team.

What about Specialized? Or Shimano?
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
      • Music To Your Ears
    « Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 10:57 »
    Or ahem, Lotto  ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 11:01 »
    What about Specialized? Or Shimano?

Those are bike and gear sponsors. Obviously it is way different when 3 teams are sponsored by SKY the corporation, and both WIGGINS and SKY have Rapha as their clothing sponsor.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 11:07 »
    Those are bike and gear sponsors. Obviously it is way different when 3 teams are sponsored by SKY the corporation, and both WIGGINS and SKY have Rapha as their clothing sponsor.

The example of Lotto is fair inasmuch as Wallonie-Bruxelles often rides alongside Lotto-Soudal. However, like Team ALLCAPS, Wallonie-Bruxelles is rarely strong enough to do anything worthy of the label collusion in a big race.
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
      • Music To Your Ears
    « Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 11:15 »
    Collusion is a whole different matter.

Super Mario paced Quintana up the Alpe. That nearly helped him to win the Tour. Is that really much different than Clarkey giving Porte a wheel?

Ok it's not the same sponsor's teams colluding, but in this instance a nationality colluding.

• ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #12 on: September 07, 2015, 11:20 »

Super Mario paced Quintana up the Alpe. That nearly helped him to win the Tour. Is that really much different than Clarkey giving Porte a wheel?

Ok it's not the same sponsor's teams colluding, but in this instance a nationality colluding.
    On the Mortirolo climb during the Giro, Bongiorno, Nocentini and Igor Anton all accelerated when Alberto reached their wheel. Should a rider be allowed to, independently, help another rider win a race? I don't know. I do think there is a difference between 1 rider helping another rider by pacing etc, and giving them mechanical assistance.
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
      • Music To Your Ears
    « Reply #13 on: September 07, 2015, 11:26 »
    On the Mortirolo climb during the Giro, Bongiorno, Nocentini and Igor Anton all accelerated when Alberto reached their wheel. Should a rider be allowed to, independently, help another rider win a race? I don't know. I do think there is a difference between 1 rider helping another rider by pacing etc, and giving them mechanical assistance.

Even when there is an Instagram picture from the night before taken at the 'meeting' they had to discuss the help Quintana was going to receive the next day?
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11134
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #14 on: September 07, 2015, 11:27 »
    it is not meant to happen teams with the same umbrella backrooms riding together in races

But it happens a lot more lately especially with devo teams

If it changes race outcomes is not for me to be bothered discussing ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #15 on: September 07, 2015, 11:34 »
    Even when there is an Instagram picture from the night before taken at the 'meeting' they had to discuss the help Quintana was going to receive the next day?
    Yes that is a bit sketchy.
  • ReplyReply

• stereojet

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 299
    • I'm still learning the ropes
    « Reply #16 on: September 07, 2015, 12:10 »

Super Mario paced Quintana up the Alpe.

Sorry to butt in here, but there is only one Super Mario in my book, and he would NEVER have been seen cycling uphill, dammit!
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
      • Music To Your Ears
    « Reply #17 on: September 07, 2015, 12:27 »
    Sorry to butt in here, but there is only one Super Mario in my book, and he would NEVER have been seen cycling uphill, dammit!

Not sure I agree with you there.

• ReplyReply

• QuintanaWiggo

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 28
    « Reply #18 on: September 09, 2015, 10:42 »
    Is this all just a swan song...    :o
  • ReplyReply

• DJW

• Road Captain
    « Reply #19 on: September 09, 2015, 16:50 »
    Another strong ride today from Owain Doull #wiggins who will wear the points jersey tomorrow in his own right after a bad day for Lobato.

Both Etixx and Lotto Soudal seem to be having problems deciding who to lead out for the sprint (plus a bit of bad luck for Cav) so Owain will be hopeful of carrying his good performances into the last two stages to try and win the classification overall.  :cool
  • ReplyReply

• DJW

• Road Captain
    « Reply #20 on: November 09, 2015, 23:33 »
    Steven Burke, Mark Christian, Jonathan Dibben and Andrew Tennant all renew ahead of Rio while Liam Holohan joins from #madison
  • ReplyReply

• Jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 810
    • Original Fendrien...
      • Fendrien
    The fens are just West West Flanders really...

Recent Posts