collapse

LukasCPH

• World Champion
  • Liked: 7399
    • lukascph.media
  • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
ONE Pro Cycling Team news thread
« on: September 08, 2015, 17:30 »
Team name in all caps, labelling themselves as 'pro cycling' despite being only a Continental team, founded by a cricketer and supported by the well-off weekend warriors ... you could say that #onepro is the epitome of pretentiousness.
But you could also say that the team is an interesting project, well-organised and with an exciting future, having announced that they'll step up to PCT for 2016.
I choose to say the latter. ;)

The most recent news on the team's new structure are collected here:
30/07 ONE Pro Cycling: Team set sights on move up ranks
07/08 Cyclingnews: Prior vows to keep British core
03/09 ONE Pro Cycling: 8 riders retained from 2015 squad
VeloUK.net: New signings House & Domagalski

The confirmed roster now consists of 8 riders:[1]
#onepro *uk Yanto Barker
#onepro *pl Marcin Białobłocki
#raleigh *pl Karol Domagalski
#onepro *uk George Harper
#jlt *uk Kristian House
#onepro *uk Josh Hunt
#onepro *uk Chris Opie
#onepro *uk Peter Williams

Rumoured new signings are:
#jlt *uk Richard Handley
#axeon *nz James Oram
#nfto *au Steele von Hoff

Back in late July, I put together this list of potential signings. I didn't even list House (even though he's an obvious target) as I thought it impossible that he'd leave Herety after so many years ... but a pro contract and another chance at the ProConti level understandably won out over any team loyalty.

Most of the riders on that list are still available, only Blythe has signed with #tinkoff Tinkoff-ProbablyNoLongerSaxo. And with NFTO's PCT plans probably scuttled - no news from them since May in that regard -, taking over more riders from there isn't impossible.

After Domagalski, I don't think they'll sign any more Poles, with #ccc and #activejet both PCTs next year, but you never know: Get one more, and you're looking at a probable wildcard for the Tour de Pologne.

Looking forward to more announcements from this team, and hopefully to a good racing calendar for 2016. :)
 1. Tom Baylis & Sam Williams will not become pros, but stay at a "development team", probably at national elite level
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 19:44 by LukasCPH »
    Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

DJW

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 891
    • Awards: Rio Olympics Prediction Champ
    Re: ONE Pro Cycling Team news thread
    « Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 17:56 »
    House is a decent signing, and Williams has fought hard so far in the ToB to get the intermediate sprints jersey. Von Hoff and Oram would certainly strengthen their roster.

Should be interesting to see how they do at PCT level. I feel like they will attract a lot of talents from British Conti teams though and with Team Wiggins also now around it's hard to see where Madison, Raleigh and NFTO are all going to get their talent from. So while it's good to see ONE on the up, think you're right in suggesting it means another British team will go under.

Wish they would add Matt Prior to the roster. Guaranteed wildcard to the TDU  :lol
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 19:43 »
    Added #jlt Richard Handley as rumoured signing:
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/racing/tour-of-britain/one-pro-cycling-set-to-sign-steele-von-hoff-190126

After posting that link, I feel obligated to point out that a PCT has a minimum of 16 riders, not 14 as indicated in this article.
    Grr. :angry
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 460
    « Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 22:50 »
    Heard some 'disquiet' about the inflation in GB Pro cycling salaries caused by the somewhat fractious rivalry between NFTO and these Sky wannabees.  As per earlier posts I realize for some riders this might be a good thing and lift them above basisc subsistence, but it will be interesting how the promotion serves the team, as they may generate less UK coverage to start with if their pick of ProConti races is of a beggars cant be choosers variety. 

They come across as something of a play thing so lets see how long the interest lasts! :shh
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 19:21 »
    Heard some 'disquiet' about the inflation in GB Pro cycling salaries caused by the somewhat fractious rivalry between NFTO and these Sky wannabees.  As per earlier posts I realize for some riders this might be a good thing and lift them above basisc subsistence, but it will be interesting how the promotion serves the team, as they may generate less UK coverage to start with if their pick of ProConti races is of a beggars cant be choosers variety. 

They come across as something of a play thing so lets see how long the interest lasts! :shh
    Yes, the team is essentially a plaything. But that's not necessarily bad:
    #bmc is a plaything for Rihs, #tinkoff is a plaything for Oleg, the various incarnations of #garmin #tcg Vaughters' teams have been kept afloat by rich backers, and #lampre is funded by the Galbuseras who surely aren't selling much more pre-coated steel due to the team.
    I could go on with examples from the past.

It may be true that #onepro and #nfto have 'inflated' salaries on the *gb scene, but I don't see that as a bad thing either - Continental-level cyclists are often just getting by.

With regards to their race program, let's wait and see. I think that the mainstream media in the UK are more of a problem than any race program the team could piece together, because they always focus on the big names and the Tour.

But this could be a reasonable calendar for 2016:
    Spoiler (hover to show)

For a first-year PCT, it would be a good program - they can't expect loads of WT invites, but should be able to snatch a few if they play their cards right. All they need to do is find 2-3 reasonably decent Belgians or Dutchmen to get into the BeNeLux races, and a couple of GC riders for the stage races. ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 810
    • Original Fendrien...
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 14:56 »
    Heard some 'disquiet' about the inflation in GB Pro cycling salaries caused by the somewhat fractious rivalry between NFTO and these Sky wannabees. 

There has been some heated debate on other forums about this.

Seems the two teams have fallen out and if you throw in Madison being angry after the peloton didn't wait for them in the Canary Wharf Tour Series round, you have some issues.

I am surprised they are keen to step up and make the jump to be honest.

Their crowd funding membership scheme was about as popular as the other one, I-Team/Nova.
  • ReplyReply
  • The fens are just West West Flanders really...

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11131
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 15:36 »
    why are they sky wantabies by the way ?
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 15:44 »
    why are they sky wantabies by the way ?
    "Team membership" to attract weekend warriors and casual fans, high-priced "team events", going about things like a "big team" (which they aren't yet at this point) ... that's my guess.
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• Hot Prospect
    « Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 15:51 »
    Yes Lukas [ :s]  is right, plus in no particular order a bigger than everyone else at their level mini-deathstar, stepping up to tier two after a year in existence; and also bizarrely creating a new team in Sky pastiche dark grey kit with blue / aqua trim, and a bold three letter logo picked out front and centre....
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 17:42 by Servais Knavendish »

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media

Servais Knavendish

• Hot Prospect
    « Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 17:41 »
    Doh!!!!arraggghhhhhh!!!!!   :(

I am so sorry Lukas...
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 17:49 »
    Doh!!!!arraggghhhhhh!!!!!   :(

I am so sorry Lukas...
    You're forgiven. :)
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3257
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #12 on: September 23, 2015, 18:30 »
    They appeared to have hired out at least part of the (horrific) Tiger Tiger nightclub near Piccadilly Circus for after the ToB finished.

That doesn't make them Sky wannabes, but it does make me question their judgment...
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

DJW

• Road Captain
    « Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 18:44 »

They appeared to have hired out at least part of the (horrific) Tiger Tiger nightclub near Piccadilly Circus for after the ToB finished.

That doesn't make them Sky wannabes, but it does make me question their judgment...

Tiger Tiger :fp  *shudders*
  • ReplyReply

• DJW

• Road Captain

Jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Original Fendrien...
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #15 on: October 07, 2015, 12:21 »
    http://velorooms.com/index.php?topic=6995.msg209247#msg209247

All might not be lost for ONE Pro and their conti licence...
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 7738
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #16 on: October 13, 2015, 20:22 »
    So is the Tour Down Under going to be on their calendar do you reckon?

Pologne is probably a gimme with Bialoblocki on the team, but do Steele and Goss have enough cachet to get an invite (if they ask for one). I think SvH would get them the nod after his stage win this year, but do they go there or do they go to the New Zealand Cycle Classic, which is on at the same time, with their trio from across the Tasman Sea?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #17 on: October 13, 2015, 21:07 »
    So is the Tour Down Under going to be on their calendar do you reckon?

Pologne is probably a gimme with Bialoblocki on the team, but do Steele and Goss have enough cachet to get an invite (if they ask for one). I think SvH would get them the nod after his stage win this year, but do they go there or do they go to the New Zealand Cycle Classic, which is on at the same time, with their trio from across the Tasman Sea?
    Hmm.
    I think if they want to, they'll get a wildcard for TDU. Especially if we stay at 17 WT teams; that would make it 20 teams with #drapac Drapac & #teamau UniSA-Australia. They could still field a team in New Zealand if they decide to start the season early and take advantage of the fact that other teams are still trying to find form to chase some "easy" victories.

Pre-season raining camp in Australia (with participation in the Bay Classics), then split the team into a TDU and a NZCC squad - that's what I would do. :)
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #18 on: October 14, 2015, 09:51 »
    Hmm.
    I think if they want to, they'll get a wildcard for TDU. Especially if we stay at 17 WT teams; that would make it 20 teams with #drapac Drapac & #teamau UniSA-Australia. They could still field a team in New Zealand if they decide to start the season early and take advantage of the fact that other teams are still trying to find form to chase some "easy" victories.

Pre-season raining camp in Australia (with participation in the Bay Classics), then split the team into a TDU and a NZCC squad - that's what I would do. :)

Except at the moment TDU can only give 2 Wildcards something about levels within the WT or some such

and They would be not the 1st extra team to get a Wildcard DDD aka MTN will be next cab off the rank, but They could to the CadelEvansclassiconthegreatoceanroad and the New Zealand classic after Bay crits
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #19 on: October 14, 2015, 16:19 »
    Except at the moment TDU can only give 2 Wildcards something about levels within the WT or some such
    Wut? :o
    How, why, what?

You're probably right - but where is that detailed in the rules or any other place?! :S
    We need more trans-flipping-parency! :angry
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #20 on: October 21, 2015, 17:18 »

Let's think about it another way (and assuming they want a wildcard). At what point do they overtake Uni-SA in the invite pecking order? There's no Power, Haig, SvH or Ewan giving a more than decent chance of success as there was in previous years for them. When does giving youngsters (Ovett, Scotson, Schultz or whoever) a chance make way to selecting a PCT with a few Aussies who could perform better?
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #21 on: October 21, 2015, 17:29 »
    Let's think about it another way (and assuming they want a wildcard). At what point do they overtake Uni-SA in the invite pecking order? There's no Power, Haig, SvH or Ewan giving a more than decent chance of success as there was in previous years for them. When does giving youngsters (Ovett, Scotson, Schultz or whoever) a chance make way to selecting a PCT with a few Aussies who could perform better?

Except the TDU folks have made is plan that the UNI-SA team will be part of the TDU and be the 1st wildcard team

But maybe Goss rides for that with Kerrisson ??
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #22 on: October 21, 2015, 19:58 »
    Let's think about it another way (and assuming they want a wildcard). At what point do they overtake Uni-SA in the invite pecking order?
    No team will ever overtake UniSA in the invite pecking order. Ever.
    That team is part and parcel of the race, and more certain of lining up than any WT team.

Having thought about it, I believe #onepro will do the NZCC and contribute Goss etc. to the #teamau UniSA team for TDU.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner

Jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Original Fendrien...
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #26 on: December 07, 2015, 13:01 »
    First reply to that tweet is from someone I know!
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media

pastronef

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 656
    « Reply #28 on: December 09, 2015, 21:05 »
    #onepro riding FACTOR next year - a brand I've never heard of until now.

I heard of it because Millar and B.Cooke promote the brand.
    can't help, I liked them both  :shh  :lol
  • ReplyReply

• DJW

• Road Captain

Recent Posts

Re: [2.HC] Tour of Utah by Drummer Boy
    [Today at 03:06]

Re: RIP/ memorial announcements by Echoes
    [August 18, 2019, 22:36]

Re: Arctic Race of Norway by Leadbelly