collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 10801
  • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
  • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

AG

• Monument Winner
  • Liked: 3480
  • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
:woohoo   sounds like he has things a bit more in perspective

I do hope that he aims more at MSR and RVV as he already has done everything in the ardennes.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

This race doesn't suit me, it never did," said Gilbert. "I lack the passion for the race to perform better in it. I was always too far back in the peloton and lacked the energy to move up."

meh

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gilbert-not-a-factor-in-e3-harelbeke
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    At the team bus after the race, Gilbert explained that he lacks a passion for the E3 race. His results confirm this. Last year, Gilbert abandoned the race. His best result came in 2007, when he finished seventh.

"This race doesn't suit me, it never did," said Gilbert. "I lack the passion for the race to perform better in it. I was always too far back in the peloton and lacked the energy to move up."

hmm - the race doesnt suit him - but Tour of Flanders does?

sorry Phil Honey, that doesnt really cut it.    :(

The truth is part of that I guess.  Flanders does not and will never suit him as well as the Ardennes does, and he will never feel for the race what he feels for Liege.

In addition - he doesnt have the ability to do what Cancellara or Boonen can do and do a 40+km solo to win ...

But still - I would have thought the race being super hard, with lots of short, sharp climbs, over cobbles ... kind of suits him. 
  • ReplyReply

• mew

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 674
    • craig walsh always with us
     :D :D

I think Phil's twitter account was hacked today

PHILIPPE GILBERT ‏@PhilippeGilbert 35m
    Fastest way possible to lose the weight off your belly in only 2 weeks http://bit.ly/14k4Xry

btw DON'T click the link...hint: virus
  • ReplyReply

• mew

• Road Captain
    hmm - the race doesnt suit him - but Tour of Flanders does?

sorry Phil Honey, that doesnt really cut it.    :(

The truth is part of that I guess.  Flanders does not and will never suit him as well as the Ardennes does, and he will never feel for the race what he feels for Liege.

In addition - he doesnt have the ability to do what Cancellara or Boonen can do and do a 40+km solo to win ...

But still - I would have thought the race being super hard, with lots of short, sharp climbs, over cobbles ... kind of suits him.

wow

I can just see him going "pfff"
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    yeah maybe.

I guess its hard when the press are hounding you for results ... everything you say is taken so out of context, and part-quoted.

but I would prefer he just said "I didnt have it today, maybe next week" rather than saying the race doesnt suit him.

He actually seems to be in ok shape, so I am hopeful he will have a good showing next week. 
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5910
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Omloop 2006 (20 km solo) and 2008 (49! km solo) say otherwise.

But of course back then, he wasn't as big a name as today - if the world champion attacks, he isn't left to his own devices.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

Kwibus

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 1
    It was kind of painful to see him getting dropped from Boom's wheel when both of them were trying to close the gap to the leaders. Boom made it while Gilbert dropped back to the bunch.

Not that Boom did much better eventually, but to see the great WC getting dopped like that...ouch. And now he says he was't motivated. Sounds like a poor excuse.

Hope he will be ready for the ardennes. Not 2011 ready, that was too dominant to enjoy :)
  • ReplyReply

• mew

• Road Captain
    WTF???

this just on Phil's twitter...

"@PhilippeGilbert: I like to inhale cannabis in every single climb of this race. Pais vasco."

:D
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

killswitch

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1018
    http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/14614/Gilbert-concerned-about-effects-of-jet-lag-for-Tour-of-Belgium-but-motivated-by-final-stage.aspx

The Belgian rider quit the American race early to be present at the birth of his second son, Alexandre, who was born last Friday.

Very nice of Gilbert to name his son after Vino.  :D
  • ReplyReply
  • Joelsim: The huge winner today - Landa.
    just some guy: Aye he marginal gained the flip out of it

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5910
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    CyclingQuotes: Winning the 5 Monuments of cycling would be a dream

He says the rainbow jersey has made it harder for him to attack, as he's marked more; and he also worked for teammates in many races.
    Nevertheless, Phil wants to defend the Worlds title (who wouldn't). Winning all five monuments is a dream, but the cobbled classics are a different thing than the Ardennes. Of course, being a Belgian, he would love to win the Ronde.
  • ReplyReply

• mew

• Road Captain
    PHIL PHIL PHIL PHIL PHIL PHIL

:niceday :niceday :niceday
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    It's Philby's birthday. So drool on, dudes!

• ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    only problem is that I can only like the post once  :D
  • ReplyReply

• barrus

• National Champion
    • Liked: 366
    There was an interview with Gilbert today on Sporza in which he did not really seem all that motivated to work for Evans at all, even going as far as saying that he will be able to take it easy in the last week.
  • ReplyReply

• mew

• Road Captain
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY PHILLIPE  :niceday

:D
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    well - its not like he is a climber so I dont expect him to do much in the mountains.

He has been helping (a little) on the transition stages ... certainly not to the extent that other team members have - but to be honest its more than I expected   :D

I think he is incredibly frustrated with his inability to win - and is way busy thinking about himself to bother with anyone else.....

Having said that - The issue I see is that motivation and inspiring dedication/commitment/team goals is a leadership function.   Cadel is the leader and its up to him to get his team to work for him.   Its not like Phil doesnt have the physical ability or talent to do the job Cadel wants him to ... he CAN work, he just doesnt want to do it for Cadel.

That is an issue with Cadel's leadership as much as it is with Phil's ego.

Cadel knew from very early on that Phil wanted to do the Tour - and that it was fairly unlikely the team would leave the rainbow jersey home ... so Cadel could have done a fair amount leading up to the Tour to ensure Phil's co-operation and commitment.  Phil's goal for the year was to win Liege in rainbows.  He would have given up anything and everything else to do that ... Cadels goal is the Tour.  To my mind these are compatible goals, and if Cadel had ridden the Ardennes for Phil, Phil would move heaven and earth for him now ...

Cadel needs the full team commitment.  He needs it to be all about him.  The team having no plan B, having no other options - that gives Cadel confidence.  He responds really well to that.   So he should have done the work with his team beforehand to get that.   Should have been prepared to help them achieve their goals to ensure their co-operation to help him achieve his -  and I am talking about TJ here too. 

All the stuff around TJ riding for himself, being a second GC option, the white jersey ... that isnt helping Cadel - and it was avoidable if he and TJ had come to an arrangement where Cadel got off his ass and actually DID something for TJ and the rest of his team.   

Leaders lead - and Cadel doesnt do much of that.   He seems to think that being the best ON the bike is enough.
  • ReplyReply

• mew

• Road Captain
    Good  post AG

BMC is a strange team...a lot of talent but random feeling and not a real solid leader in the bunch...IMO

it's kind of a mash up.

I hope Cadel can actually find some form and put in some screaming climbing...it sure would be nice to see Phil get a big win, too. :yarr
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    Bags of passion there. Nice, folks! :)

I think it's really simple: Philski has protected rider status on BMC in the old school sense, which means he is not obliged to work for Evans. What he does is more or less his choice, figured out informally like everything else that goes on. It's tempting to believe that team behaviours are as rigid as their science and training but the old-fashioned gentlepersons' agreement twixt a rainbow jersey and a GC contender is how I explain Rumplephilkin's riding in this Tour.
  • ReplyReply

• ansimi

• Domestique
    • Liked: 238
    Not impressed by Gilbert's lack of interest/motivation in riding for the team. It's the Tour de France! The weather's been nice and he's not even injured. BMC left off good riders for him to have that spot.
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2459
    In my opinion, they should never have included Gilbert in the first place. Take GVA instead, he did brilliant work for the team this year in single-handedly saving their classics season, he deserves a reward for that. And he would happily have worked for the team.

Gilbert just feels too much like a star. He is a top rider, sure, but one brilliant year doesn't make him a Cancellara or Contador who can legitimately make demands on their teams. And without any wins this year, BMC has even less reason to give him a free role. At the moment the chances of Evans or Van Garderen reaching the podium are far higher than Gilbert winning a stage - which is saying something, since there is no way Evans or TJ reaches the podium without some others dropping out.

Gilbert had a deal with the team at the beginning of the Tour: he was allowed to go in Corsica. He utterly failed, never even coming close to winning with 18th and 5th places on the stages that suited him. And now he's complaining that his team don't want to go for stage wins? Come on Phil, if there's anyone you should be angry at it's yourself.

And of course Gilbert could be of help to Evans and TJ. He may not be a great climber, but don't underestimate his climbing either. He's still much better than most of the BMC riders uphill. If Thomas and EBH can do their share of the work uphill, so can Gilbert.

About blaming Evans for not showing the leadership.. Sorry AG, I could barely disagree more. Don't forget that Evans is an excellent rider in the Ardennes too. He's granting Phil full leadership on races that he himself could win as well. I'd say that's quite the sacrifice to Phil already. But more importantly, why would a former Tour de France winner who just finished on the podium of the Giro have to work for a world champion who doesn't win?

Gilbert can only blame himself. Considering his results he can count himself lucky that he's even going to the Tour, and he had his stages to try something. He was never close, so no reason to believe he'd have more success in later stages. Certainly not as long as Sagan is there. The man should just work for his team leaders and shut up.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    Dont get me wrong Slow - I agree with you.  Phil could (and should) do way more.   He definitely had his fair share here, and IMO is obligated to turn around and work.  I am disappointed in his attitude towards the team ... less of the spoiled brat and more hard work would go a long way here.

But I am disappointed in Evans that he doesnt seem to inspire that commitment in any of his team.  No - thats not true ... certainly some are devoted.  But to win a race like this, you need not just domestiques, but the guys who can do it for themselves.  And you need those guys to commit 100% to work for you.  And Cadel just doesnt seem to be able to command that.

This is his last shot - and I think he should have worked harder during the season to ensure that those types of riders ... the ultra strong ones ... were that committed to him.  Phil and TJ - they are stars.  They dont gratitude for being chosen in the team - they feel (rightly or wrongly) that they deserve their spot and they deserve a chance.   And there is a lot he could have done to make them happy enough to work harder for him.
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2459
    Evans seems to be able to inspire everyone just fine. The whole team is happily in his service, even TJ doesn't complain while he has a lot more reason to than Phil. It's only Gilbert who is unhappy with the situation, and given his inability to win stuff he has no reason to.

Evans couldn't have done anything for Gilbert I think. With or without his help, Gilbert was not strong enough to win anything in the Ardennes. And as long as he doesn't have a big win in the rainbow jersey he will be unhappy. He's just taking that out on his team, but honestly he is the only person in the world who is to blame for his situation right now.
  • ReplyReply

• mew

• Road Captain
    Whatever makes you happy to post....
    carry on!

:yarr
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    Philippe Gilbert (BMC Racing) heads towards the World Championships without one win in the rainbow jersey, the worst since Luc Leblanc or Rudy Dhaenens in the 1990s. His last chance to raise arms in victory with the colours on his chest is in the Vuelta a España, where a win seems hard to come by.

Read more at http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/540124/philippe-gilbert-close-to-ending-reign-as-world-champion-without-a-win.html#JvR2HPRH6UAgduv7.99
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Team Sponsorship 17/18 by Leadbelly
    [August 19, 2017, 19:37]

Re: Mens transfers and Rumors 2017-18 by Leadbelly
    [August 19, 2017, 19:32]

Re: [2.HC] Colorado Classic by hiero
    [August 19, 2017, 17:18]

Re: Mens transfers and Rumors 2017-18 by t-72
    [August 19, 2017, 14:00]

Re: Mens transfers and Rumors 2017-18 by LukasCPH