collapse

AG

• Monument Winner
  • Liked: 3500
  • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
but he doesnt really like the Tour much, and BMC are focussed on TJ for that anyway.

He wants 5 monuments, and he needs to get his sh*t together and focus on RVV and give PR a go if he ever wants to get there.

This 'sharing' and everyone has a turn and leaving stuff for others to lead is crap.  Its not the way he rides.    :D
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10823
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    but he doesnt really like the Tour much, and BMC are focussed on TJ for that anyway.

He wants 5 monuments, and he needs to get his sh*t together and focus on RVV and give PR a go if he ever wants to get there.

This 'sharing' and everyone has a turn and leaving stuff for others to lead is crap.  Its not the way he rides.    :D

then he will be next to be moved on ;)

he should watch his back :p

but this is the same news every year at about the same time fwiw

But I don´t expect him to ride P-R and a small chance of RvV in 2015
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    seriously - if they wont give him a shot at RVV and PR ... he should indeed move on.

There are plenty of teams that will build completely around him. 
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10823
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    seriously - if they wont give him a shot at RVV and PR ... he should indeed move on.

There are plenty of teams that will build completely around him.

:angry :angry :angry :flo  :flo :flo

:fangirl

:lol
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5652
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    Back to Lotto, I reckon. ;) That team lacks a standout leader to get behind.

Sprinting for Greipel is very specific
    Gallopin has only limited room for improvement
    Roelandts is not a winner
    Vandendert hasn't sparkled for years
    VDB2 and Monfort focus exclusively on stage racing
    Wellens is still a couple more seasons off greatness

I would say Lotto's biggest problem would be Gilbert's salary but his expectations might be a bit more modest after a couple of modest years.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

AG

• Monument Winner
    possibility.  He didnt leave Lotto on bad terms (though bad with Omego Pharma so no chance of going to OPQS :D )

• ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2464
    Gilbert's best races are in the Ardennes, but I can appreciate him wanting to win all monuments. And he is a big enough rider that he should be able to pick and choose in terms of races.

Still, I can't see him win Roubaix ever to be honest. MSR will be tough too, especially with Sagan, Kristoff and Degenkolb not going anywhere. He would have a good chance at the Ronde though, if in top form.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    MSR is one of those funny races that you have to be there ... every year ... in tip top shape, and just hope that this year, finally, the breaks happen for you.

But one thing is sure - if you dont go for it, its never going to happen.

RVV I feel if he tries enough times, he will win it. 

PR - I dunno.  But he needs to start actually racing it if he is ever going to have a go at winning it in the future.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5652
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    Belgium's Vélo d'Or award equivalent is the Vélo de Cristal and it was presented last night to BMC's Greg Van Avermaet.

Teammate Philippe Gilbert had made the trip up from Monaco and declared himself surprised by the result:

"Logically, my victories and my ranking as top Belgian on the WorldTour would make me the winner. But you can't be loved by everyone.

"Since my 2011 season, the demands on me are considerable. People expect ever greater things but I'm still putting in all the work as best I can. Greg Van Avermaet has had a consistent season and he's ridden more in Belgium, in the Flemish Classics, so that will have gotten him in the good books of those who voted ... Nor was I at the Tour but I wasn't on holiday either. My end of season proved I was fresh and ready for whatever race I rode."

http://www.lesoir.be/711915/article/sports/cyclisme/2014-11-19/velo-cristal-pour-van-avermaet (FR)
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    hmm

If I wasnt a fan I would say  :Poo: to him.   That is pretty ... umm ... less than gracious.

But I am a good little fan girl, so i wont say such things of course 
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6042
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    hmm

If I wasnt a fan I would say  :Poo: to him.   That is pretty ... umm ... less than gracious.

But I am a good little fan girl, so i wont say such things of course
    I'm not, so I will. :P
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

AG

• Monument Winner
    Gilbert finally gets a win
    « Reply #191 on: June 04, 2016, 01:33 »
    Tour of Luxembourg - stage 2.

against huge names such as Mauits Lammertink, Alex Kirsch and Romain Hardy   :D

He is 2nd on GC so may even win an overall race too   :o
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6042
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Re: Gilbert finally gets a win
    « Reply #192 on: June 04, 2016, 08:21 »
    against huge names such as Maurits Lammertink, Alex Kirsch and Romain Hardy   :D
    Lammertink isn't a big name yet, but could become one.
    And Kirsch is on an upward trajectory this year - overshadowed by the even better Mads Pedersen, but definitely one to watch.
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3874
    • Awards: 2017 TDF Prediction ChampKeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #193 on: June 04, 2016, 08:24 »
    AG why did you create a thread for this ? :P
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

AG

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #194 on: June 04, 2016, 10:06 »
    its been such a long time since he won that I thought it was noteworthy enough for a thread on its own :lol
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1266
    I like that.

There ain't no small victories, on the profesionnal circuit. And certainly not on the Tour of Luxembourg, a historical race. On some boards, people don't get that. Well said, Phil.  :cool

From La dernière heure, Sat. June 24 2016.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 11:17 by Echoes »
    "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Echoes

• Road Captain

Today's Het Laatste Nieuws & De Morgen

Chance is that Philippe Gilbert makes his come back at the Tour of Flanders in 2017. His agenda will be set up in December during the first team training session but the first discussion between the rider and the team management seems positive for everybody regarding that idea.

It's impossible to race all Flemish and Walloon classics but combining a certain amount of them is doable. Phil could race the Tour of Flanders and Amstel Gold but it begs the question whether he can extend his form to Liège-Bastogne if he already had peaked for Flanders.

;)
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    time to resurrect this thread I think  :lol

• ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    3 Days de Panne

Tour of Flanders

Amstel Gold Race

Add this to podiums at E3 and DDV  -  pretty good spring.

Such a shame he couldnt go through to LBL - get well soon Phil 
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    and I love what Cycling News said about him

The superlatives rolled off the tongue on Sunday as Philippe Gilbert made a world-class break look rather ordinary in the final stages of Amstel Gold Race. The Belgian was everywhere – on the attack, on the front, in the wind, and even on the deck at one point – but after his solo demolition at the Tour of Flanders this was an altogether different assault through the hills of Limburg. First, he followed the accelerations of Tiesj Benoot and Sergio Henao, before matching the late attack from Michal Kwiatkowski with the most decisive move of the race. Gilbert was simply unstoppable and the writing was on the wall when the cameras panned across the leading pair with a few kilometres to go. The Team Sky rider’s shoulders were beginning to drop, as he was visibly struggling for air, his cheeks puffed out with the effort, while Gilbert, on the other hand, looked immense. Even when he allowed Kwiatkowski a head start in the sprint, it mattered little, and the way he finished the race suggested that he had more in the tank. For all those superlatives that the television commentators pulled from their suitcases of courage, the measure of Gilbert’s victory was summed up by Kwiatkowski, who acknowledged that he no answer to the Belgian’s might. “Beaten by the better rider.” Enough said.

the rest of it is worth reading too  ;)

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/5-conclusions-from-amstel-gold-race/
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner

The truth is part of that I guess.  Flanders does not and will never suit him as well as the Ardennes does, and he will never feel for the race what he feels for Liege.

In addition - he doesnt have the ability to do what Cancellara or Boonen can do and do a 40+km solo to win ...

reading back in this thread - me in 2013  :fp
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    lol

Phil stops mid race to have photos with fans ... and still finishes 2nd on the stage and moves into the leaders jersey    :lol

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/videos/watch/watch-philippe-gilbert-stops-mid-race-pose-photos-fans
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    With Milan-Sanremo and Paris-Roubaix in the Back of His Mind

(Le Soir 8 August 2017)

Philippe Gilbert has extended for two years with Quick Step

The Belgian rider capitalised on his beautiful spring to negociate a new contract.

He will target classics and will lead the youngsters of the Belgian team.

The love story continues between Philippe Gilbert and Quick Step Floors. As planned for several weeks the 2012 World Champion has extended his contract with Patrick Lefevere's team. The winner of the Tour of Flanders, of Amstel Gold, of the Three-Days of De Panne, of a stage in the Tour of Switzerland (to be continued) has of course seduced the big boss with his baffling spring, a successful come-back while the end of his term with BMC was characterised by boredom and isolation. He brilliantly took up the challenge while taking the risk to just sign for a mere season. At age 35, the Walloon rider has probably negociated the last major contract of his career.

Great Ambitions for 2018

It was a dream to extend my contract and after winning the Tour of Flanders and Amstel Gold, I knew it was possible. I am super happy to go on for two years with Quick Step Floors. I'm sure I still can win nice races and that I will have my chances. It would be a dream to win races like Paris-Roubaix or Milan-Sanremo with this team. That is also the reason I signed for two years. In order to increase my chances to achieve that.

After the extensions of Fernando Gaviria, Bob Jungels and Julian Alaphilippe, Lefevere's team is keeping yet another big fish.

Quick Step Floors' CEO explains:
    We knew about Philippe Gilbert's skills when he arrived and we were very happy to see him show them many times throughout the season. So I don't see this contract as a surprise. Philippe is not just a major asset for the team and a smart rider who get results but he's also somebody whom many of our youngsters could learn a lot from and who they can admire.

The Walloon rider has one of the nicest palmares in Belgian cycling... [rest is a reminder of his pre 2017 which you all know  ;)]

• ReplyReply

• boonen_attacks

• Coach Potato
    • Liked: 1
    I hope he wins both (Milano-Sanremo/Paris-Roubaix). Riders like him define a generation.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews: contador_attacks

AG

• Monument Winner
    I hope he wins both (Milano-Sanremo/Paris-Roubaix). Riders like him define a generation.

as I can only like it once, I will quote  :P
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts