collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 10587
  • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
  • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 5725
    • lukascph.media
  • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
Views presented are my own.
RIP Keith

Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 2459

hiero

• National Champion
  • Liked: 614
Another bit that I do not know where to put!

TOPIC: MARGINAL GAINS!!!!!!

But I tell ya what, the twitter response is well worth reading, as is the article. Don't blush, guys!

Really, tho, having suffered saddle sores and pain - getting rid of same is DEFINITELY a gain! I'd think it a bit more than marginal!
The Guardian:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2016/aug/15/team-gb-cycling-saddle-sore-medals?CMP=share_btn_tw
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/helenpidd/status/765256187726233600
  • ReplyReply
  • Ubi est ignis

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    Message from Pauline Ferrand-Prevot put through Google translate

"Abandon is losing"
    Here's what I repeated in a loop for quite some months. The Olympics were the dream of a life, but my biggest fear since I started this winter with stress fracture in the knee. Everything went very quickly chained: resumption of training too quickly and too much, without listening to the advice of my coach telling me to resume smoothly. I made the choice to live down in the south in order to run in better conditions and to catch up. Strong allergy problems were felt after a few weeks there. Then after a few weeks of training I felt that I was not myself, that the pedal stroke was not mine. Despite this I have always been studious and serious training. I had never paid attention to such detail. My allergy problems not passing, leaving the first races of the season I was three weeks on anti-biotics. No change at the end of treatment. We decided to put me on steroids. As the law against the fight against doping stipulates, forbidden to take part in a competition for 10 days. 10 days during which I will train even harder to lose even the least possible time. The fatigue of the early season, where even though I ran very little is felt. My pain from sciatica re-appear. Any more strength in the left leg. Can not exceed 200 watts and it is getting worse. Each workout is an ordeal. I can not follow instructions, the intensity zones. I ride but with the look of a tourist cyclo. My first lumbar infiltration is a failure. Rebellotte, 10 days without competition. 3 days of total rest. A week later, without any improvements, new infiltration in the same place as before. No change!
    Every day I woke up I tell myself that this is one day less to maturity biggest of my career. Being world champion in three disciplines in one year may have been the worst thing that ever happened to me. Even injured I was working harder every day without giving up. I abandoned race after race, saying that fate would eventually stop.
    Then I went through all the phases ... I made decisions that have done much about me. I realize that people are wicked free. They consider your life without knowing anything! I cash ...
    Early July found a treatment that works for my sciatica problems at the University Hospital of Besancon. I finally see the end of the tunnel. I can now train the way I want. I have accumulated a lot of delay. My selection for the Olympics on two disciplines is much criticized, as I was the only French to have met the selection criteria. The race against time begins. I become champion of France VTT, I see a glimmer of hope.
    Every week I see that I grew a little more. I think that the timing is very short, but ca can.
    Finally we never really catches everything behind, even being very serious. My body is bruised, I weight too so I put everything in place to successfully lose my kgs.
    These Olympics were the result of a year of hassle.
    "Abandon is losing" ultimately this sentence well concludes this Saturday, August 20, 2016. I wanted to finish this race which I dreamed, but my body could not. It was really impossible for me. We not abandon the game, I know, but that evil is deeper. Much deeper ...
    I am extremely disappointed, there are no words to express it. I leave the race cry, and I go live at the booth. I do not think to go in the mixed zone to explain my abandonment reporters, this is really the last thing you think about in those moments.
    It's hard to take since Saturday. Everyone can give his opinion or judging. But I wanted to explain.
    I end my season on abandonment. I do not know when I will go back on a bike.
    The bike was what I loved to do the most, but it became my biggest nightmare.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Vimto

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 130

Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1064
    Thalita De Jongh lapped everybody in Putte-Kappelen with the help of *au Lauretta Hanson and won the race ahead Pia De quint of Hallaar.

The article is talking about a sprint but Pia said that there was no match on Thalita. She tried a few counters but in vain. "Along with the *au they gradually rode further and further from us, says Pia. Pia could gain a few bonuses early in the race.

For Thalita it was a well-paid training for the Tour of Belgium which shes looking forward to. She plans to resume cyclocross in October.  :cool
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    been working for months in the role I just noticed the change on the website

https://twitter.com/Velorooms/status/775618758874374144
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    Mara Abbott *usa retires from professional cycling

One of those riders I have always followed a little closer than other no real reason, but a true climber and if the womens race scene was similar in make up to the mens would have been a major star of stage races- 2 Giro Donna´s Gila etc and of course so so close in the latest Olympic road race

• ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2459
    Mara Abbott *usa retires from professional cycling

One of those riders I have always followed a little closer than other no real reason, but a true climber and if the womens race scene was similar in make up to the mens would have been a major star of stage races- 2 Giro Donna´s Gila etc and of course so so close in the latest Olympic road race

I think we'll all miss her. As the only 'pure' climber in the peloton lacking both sprint and TT, Abbott often had to enforce something in stage races - Giro Rosa in particular. And she very often did. Sometimes that worked and sometimes not, but she definitely made the races more interesting.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Echoes

• Road Captain
    Has the GP Tania Dejonge been mentioned on this thread? It was on 1 October

1 Eva Van den Born NETH
    2 Lenny Druyts
    3 Kaat Hannes
    4 Lensy Debboudt
    5 Gilke Croket
    6 Elise Vander Sande
    7 Nathalie Verschelden
    8 Sarah Inghelbrecht
    9 Jaime Gunning AUS
    10 Madeleine Fasnacht AUS

http://uitslagen.dewielerbond.be/Kalender_Uitslagen/Uitslag.aspx?id=1354&datum=01%2F10%2F2016

Gilke Croket is a 24 year old trackie/roadie racing for Topsport Vlaanderen just like Lenny Druyts. She hopes to keep her form until the track Euro Champs in Paris, just like Jolien D'Hoore.

She was glad about the way she raced because she was in the right group before mid race. Then three riders caught up and then another 5 of them. The 13 of them sprinted for the win.

It was a hard race because they had to deal with heavy rain. SHe was totally sodden and (comfortably?) numb.

She's now training for the Euro where she hopes to have good legs for the team pursuit. It's a good way for her to pass winter.

About her road season she admits that the results were not always good but she often raced abroad and at the end of the day it's in the greater race that you get stronger. It wasn't always as easy mentally. She was often a domestique and that way high places were hardly possible but in the few kermesses she raced she noticed she was progressing and she hopes to do so next year too.

source: Gazet van Antwerpen on 5 October:

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Vimto

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 130

This is truly terrible, terrible news.  Only a little further upthread I was wishing her a happy retirement.

It's so sad that she writes 'At this stage it's treatable but not curable'.  I guess that means palliative treatment only....

All I can do is offer big, big internet hugs to her and her family, and wish her a lengthy remission...

<3 <3 <3
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain

Article from today's Nieuwsblad/Sportwereld

Ann-Sophie Duyck wants revenge for Rio.

Rio has reverberated. I swear to you that I've learned lessons from it. Of course it was at international level but lagging 4' behind Kristin Armstrong after 30km remains a downer. My problem was that I was too nervous. I used to think that I need a great amount of adrenaline to start the motor but at the Euros I noticed that I could race hard without putting too much pressure on my shoulder. Rio was a major factor in order to reach the norms to get allowed to stay with Topsport. Hence the panic after the rotten result: "damn now I wasted it totally. May I still work next year?" It's an insecurity which many top athletes are confronted with. But at the Worlds I got a better support than at the Olympics and that also gives more mental rest, though I don't know what the heat will cause.

Ann-Sophie thinks it's can be that the podium gets fully coloured with orange: Ellen Van Dijck, Anna Van der Breggen and Annemiek Van Vleuten.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain

Ann-Sophie Duyck is flushing the hangover from Rio.

While the 41 year old Alber Neben beat top favourite Ellen Van Dijck, Ann-Sophie Duyck got a nice 8th place and is glad to be back "among the people" (Dutch idiom to say she's back on level) after her 23rd place in 25 at Rio.

After Rio, I was mentally really down. I then also started to doubt. On the other hand, Rio aside, I've always been top10 in the past few years. I did know I could do this, though it the final part I had to go far beyond the pain. The final three k's were frightening.

That also seemed apparent on the finish line when she horizontally laid down on the asphalt for minutes, worn out.  :(

(Gazet van Antwerpen)
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Echoes

• Road Captain

Gazet van Antwerpen made a review of the Golden Year of Belgian cycling at least in men’s cycling but they also dedicated a small part of it to Belgian women cycling.

Women in Progress

In men’s shadows the Belgian female riders are busy doing a giant leap forward. In cross we have the European Champion and 3rd at the Worlds. Jolien D’Hoore won a lot of road races beside the Bronze medal on the Rio track such as the Flanders Diamond Tour, the BeNe Ladies Tour and the Madrid Challenge.
    D’Hoore is no longer all alone on the road. Lotte Kopecky was 9th in “The Race” and 10th at the Beghelli GP at age 20. As youngest participant at the in-line road race at the Olympics she showed audacity racing half the race alone in the attack.  And with Nicky Degrendele, Jessie Daems and Anisha Vekemans, the pool is much broader than in previous year.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r