just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 11459
  • Awards: 2020 Tour de France CQ Game winner2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

Place yourself in the middle of the action; join us in Doha 2016 at the UCI Road World Championships
The State of Qatar hosts the World Road Championships organized by the Union Cycliste Internationale Doha, 9-16 October 2016. Doha will host around 1000 racers from 75 countries and more than 5700 participants from national federations, delegations, technicians and journalists in addition to around 30,000 fans and millions of spectators from all over the world.
In Doha 2016, The Road World Championships are different!
RWC is an annual event, which the UCI has been organizing since 1921. The first edition took place in Denmark. By hosting the UCI RWC in Doha 2016, Qatar will become the first Middle East country to stage it and the second Asian country after being hosted by Japan in 1990.
The unforgettable experience will be totally different as for the first time; the broadcasting will be through very outstanding parkour with the surroundings of the Arabian Gulf, Katara Cultural Village and Pearl.
The Arabian well-known hospitality, the windy weather, the gulf surroundings, and the generous touches will add different flavors to 2016 Championships.
Doha: a World Sports Hub!
“The vision of HH Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, the Emir, aimed at making the sport lifestyle by creating a productive generation able to hoist Qatar’s name higher at several sport and coronation podiums”.
Said by HE Seikh Joaan bin Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, President of Qatar Olympic Committee.
In line with Qatar National Vision, Qatar has been contributing in the promotion of sport in the world and in using it as means of communication and of strengthening ties between different nations and peoples by hosting multiple regional and international sports events in recent years. This led the sport infrastructure to being comprehensively and increasingly developed, allowing Qatar to become an international sport hub.
In recent years, Qatar proved the exceptional ability and outstanding facilities to host hundreds of international and regional sports events. In the coming few years, Qatar will be hosting many world class events along with the UCI RWC 2016; such as World Bowling Championships 2016, World Artistic Gymnastics Championships 2018, Athletics World Championships 2019, and FIFA World Cup 2022.

:web
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6786
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    There's always a hint of sadness after the Worlds - it's almost the end of the season and one of too few opportunities to see different types of riders racing together - but in Richmond that feeling was stronger, since it will be at least two years before we get another selective, competitive Worlds.

There was talk of wind and echelons in Doha but we now know that the majority of the race will take place on a city circuit which promises to be flatter than Copenhagen and as dull to watch as Zolder. It's fortunate that 2016's other big race for national teams, at the Rio Olympics, should offer more of a challenge to a broader selection of potential winners.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 14100
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

search

• World Champion
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    There was talk of wind and echelons in Doha but we now know that the majority of the race will take place on a city circuit which promises to be flatter than Copenhagen and as dull to watch as Zolder.

I couldn't find a profile, but that UCI director said last year "Qatar has been chosen to organise the 2016 UCI Road World Championships, but the courses visited did not meet the requirements for a world championship. [...] It’s been decided to build a hilly course."

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/hilly-course-for-2016-qatar-road-world-championships-29255#PzRhD8TjeJf4BSm7.99

edit: okay, nevermind, that's from 2013 even, and meanwhile they said they will not build any artificial climbs
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3254
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    there is a selfie contest though

http://www.dohacycling2016.com/Page/selfie

And the winner will - like all the others at the World Championship - be awarded a rainbow jersey.

• ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6786
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    I couldn't find a profile, but that UCI director said last year "Qatar has been chosen to organise the 2016 UCI Road World Championships, but the courses visited did not meet the requirements for a world championship. [...] It’s been decided to build a hilly course."

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/hilly-course-for-2016-qatar-road-world-championships-29255#PzRhD8TjeJf4BSm7.99

edit: okay, nevermind, that's from 2013 even, and meanwhile they said they will not build any artificial climbs

I guess the desert winds smoothed away that particular problem ...
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4155
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    yep - will be very flat, very boring

still - Greipel deserves to be WC so I suppose it will be ok
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 7813
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    still - Greipel deserves to be WC so I suppose it will be ok
    Indeed. After all the work he's done for teammates, both #lotto and #teamde, in races that weren't suited to himself, he so deserves a #rainbow jersey.

Great Britain had the Project Rainbow, all designed to have Cav win in Copenhagen, and worked specifically towards that target for several years.

If Germany qualify 9 riders for Qatar (which is very likely), my selection would be:
    Greipel - designated sprinter
    Sieberg - Greipel's trusted lieutenant
    Degenkolb - plan B if Greipel should crash out or something
    Geschke - Degenkolb's trusted lieutenant, can double as workhorse
    Knees - workhorse
    Martin - workhorse par excellence
    Burghardt - workhorse, experienced with racing in Qatar
    Martens - workhorse
    Voss - workhorse

It's an all-or-nothing approach; but if it works, it'll be Germany's first (pro) world champion since Rudi Altig in 1966.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Servais Knavendish

• Domestique
    • Liked: 549
     Yes was happy to see Sagan as a rightful champion, and would have no qualms about Andre in rainbow jersey at all... or Marcel if he can end his slump / lack of form / fitness.  But who's to say that GB wont dust down Project Rainbow to give a resurgent, rejuvenated Cav, all puffed out and cock sure after securing 4 more stage wins in France another year in the bands... oops have I completely succumbed to whimsy and wishful thinking

:S

• ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    Yes was happy to see Sagan as a rightful champion, and would have no qualms about Andre in rainbow jersey at all... or Marcel if he can end his slump / lack of form / fitness.  But who's to say that GB wont dust down Project Rainbow to give a resurgent, rejuvenated Cav, all puffed out and cock sure after securing 4 more stage wins in France another year in the bands... oops have I completely succumbed to whimsy and wishful thinking

:S

Nothing wrong with whimsy. I think Cavendish has suffered from being one of many egos in a big team. It was the same when he was at Sky. His own ego is such, it seems, that he can't take that for long. Yes, his star is on the wane, but when he is "puffed out" there is still no-one tactically better in a sprint than Cav. Faster - well, that's a different debate, these days...

Incidentally...

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2020 Tour de France CQ Game winner2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Indeed. After all the work he's done for teammates, both #lotto and #teamde, in races that weren't suited to himself, he so deserves a #rainbow jersey.

Great Britain had the Project Rainbow, all designed to have Cav win in Copenhagen, and worked specifically towards that target for several years.

If Germany qualify 9 riders for Qatar (which is very likely), my selection would be:
    Greipel - designated sprinter
    Sieberg - Greipel's trusted lieutenant
    Degenkolb - plan B if Greipel should crash out or something
    Geschke - Degenkolb's trusted lieutenant, can double as workhorse
    Knees - workhorse
    Martin - workhorse par excellence
    Burghardt - workhorse, experienced with racing in Qatar
    Martens - workhorse
    Voss - workhorse

It's an all-or-nothing approach; but if it works, it'll be Germany's first (pro) world champion since Rudi Altig in 1966.

Kittel ??
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1838
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015

search

• World Champion
    Joel, in *gb he is called Kittle, friend of Griepel
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President

LukasCPH

• lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Kittel ??
    He'd need to get back to his 2014 form first. Then he'd be an obvious pick - but only then.

And even then the team would have to agree on a clear leader to ride for (whether that's Greipel or Kittel, or Degenkolb). Petacchi and others abandoned their personal ambitions to help Cipollini to the #rainbow in 2002; the German team would have to find a similar agreement.[1]
     1. With a plan B worked out in case plan A fails
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    Don't be sorry, JSG. You got it right!

I did well blow me down with a feather
  • ReplyReply

• Archieboy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 540
    • Awards: Quintuple Official Prediction Game Champ (2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019)2019 Giro CQ Game winner
    Greipel, Kittel... Kittel, Greipel, does it matter...

Important thing is will there be a room where we can get beer and bacon sarnies :cool or will it be :shh
  • ReplyReply

• pastronef

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 666
    pro road race on October 16, 2016

races where the 2016 World Champ can show the jersey in 2016

Japan Cup?
    Saitama Crit?

even Nationale Sluitingprijs is raced before
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• Domestique
    • Liked: 549
    Well with the football World Cup final on Dec 18th traditions can go out of the window.

I hope that the pretty disgraceful about turn by London does not prevent GB getting a hosting slot in 2018, 19, or 20.  It's a long time since Goodwood.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4155
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    October 16????

why????

I though tthey finally had it right moving it to a couple of weeks after the Vuelta

• ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    October 16????

why????

because currently there are ~40°C in Doha I guess
  • ReplyReply

• pastronef

• Road Captain
    October 16????

why????

I though tthey finally had it right moving it to a couple of weeks after the Vuelta

from 2017 the race will be hel on Sept 24th, as normal

weather conditions pushed the 2016 race so late in the year.

it really will be the LAST race of the season

UNLESS the ABU DHABI TOUR moves 2 weeks later that this year (8-11 October this year) so they can get the world champion.

but is should be raced on October 20-23... meh...  :-x
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• lukascph.media
    it really will be the LAST race of the season

UNLESS the ABU DHABI TOUR moves 2 weeks later that this year (8-11 October this year) so they can get the world champion.

but is should be raced on October 20-23... meh...  :-x
    I expect that they will. They'll have Sagan this year; surely the sheikhs will cough up the cash to get the 2016 #rainbow as well - it's only a short hop across the water from Doha.
  • ReplyReply

• pastronef

• Road Captain
    I expect that they will. They'll have Sagan this year; surely the sheikhs will cough up the cash to get the 2016 #rainbow as well - it's only a short hop across the water from Doha.

right! I did not think about that. they can even start on Tuesday instead of Thursday.
    yes, the Sheikhs will ready

problem is: will the next world champ team be on the start list?  :o  :D

then by 2017 I hope they pull a Beijing and stop it  :shh
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• lukascph.media
    right! I did not think about that. they can even start on Tuesday instead of Thursday.
    yes, the Sheikhs will ready

problem is: will the next world champ team be on the start list?  :o  :D
    That's why they'll stick with Thursday - so that there's 72 hours between the end of the Worlds and the start of this 'race', and thus enough time to invite the world champion's team if they're not already invited. ;)
  • ReplyReply

• pastronef

• Road Captain
    That's why they'll stick with Thursday - so that there's 72 hours between the end of the Worlds and the start of this 'race', and thus enough time to invite the world champion's team if they're not already invited. ;)

did not know about that.
    is there a 72 hours time limit to invite a team?

anyway, a race ending on October 23rd... riders and team staff will be chuffed..  ;)
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• lukascph.media
    is there a 72 hours time limit to invite a team?
    There is a 72-hour time limit for teams to confirm their final line-up. I know that much because several teams changed their line-ups for the Sibiu Cycling Tour just before that deadline ...

I don't know the rules for team invitations by heart, but I can't remember any restrictions that are longer than said deadline.
  • ReplyReply

• jacinta

• Coach Potato
    • Liked: 0
    Hi there
    I am looking to work at the RWC as a volunteer or part of the organisation for the duration. I have sent my e mail to the OC address and would love to be involved. I work on the Giro / Tour de France and Vuelta and this would be my dream to work this too. Please can you help me contact you?
  • ReplyReply

•