search

• World Champion
  • Liked: 14097
  • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
more stars:

*it Gazzetta dello Sport

***** Sagan, Gaviria
**** Boonen, Bouhanni, Cav, Kittel, Kristoff
*** Demare, Greipel
** Groenewegen

Post Merge: October 16, 2016, 06:58
*fr l'Équipe

***** Greipel
**** Sagan
*** Cav, Boonen, Matthews
** Démare, Gaviria, Kittel, Kristoff
* Bouhanni, Groenewegen, GvA, Martin, Terpstra, EBH
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 06:58 by search »
    "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

search

• World Champion
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    there was something about the distance as a factor in today's l'Équipe:

• ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1091

I've been wondering if the first part of the race before they reach the Pearl might be ridden so slowly the actual length of the race might not be as bigger factor as it sometimes might be.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    nah, there's word that alliances have been made already, and teams like Belgium and the Netherlands will smash it from km 0

let's hope they really do  :)
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• Road Captain
    nah, there's word that alliances have been made already, and teams like Belgium and the Netherlands will smash it from km 0

let's hope they really do  :)

Have just seen the forecast for the winds. Cross winds on the way out becoming crosstail for the way back to the pearl so if they're strong enough it could be interesting.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3693

Very interesting reading! I always wanted better stats coverage for sprints and classics like there is for climbing times.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 7812
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013

Worlds medal table:
    Medal Tally /gm /sm /bm
    1 *de Germany 2 3 0
    2 *usa USA 2 1 1
    3 *dk Denmark 2 1 0
    4 *nl Netherlands 1 2 0
    5 *it Italy 1 1 1
    6 *no Norway 1 0 1
    7 *sk Slovakia 1 0 0
    8 *uk Great Britain 0 1 0
    8 *by Belarus 0 1 0
    10 *au Australia 0 0 2
    11 *be Belgium 0 0 1
    11 *fi Finland 0 0 1
    11 *ch Switzerland 0 0 1
    11 *es Spain 0 0 1
    11 *fr France 0 0 1
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

search

• World Champion
    well, three former #rainbow World Champions were in the race - and all of them finished on the podium. So that's something at least :)
  • ReplyReply

• pastronef

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 666
    that´s Tinkoff team for Abu Dhabi

who will give his place to Sagan?

151 CONTADOR, Alberto
    152 BALLERINI, Davide
    153 BAŠKA, Erik
    154 HANSEN, Jesper
    155 KOLAR, Michael
    156 SAGAN, Juraj
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    that´s Tinkoff team for Abu Dhabi

who will give his place to Sagan?

151 CONTADOR, Alberto
    152 BALLERINI, Davide
    153 BAŠKA, Erik
    154 HANSEN, Jesper
    155 KOLAR, Michael
    156 SAGAN, Juraj
    Big brother. Or Jesper Hansen.
  • ReplyReply

• pastronef

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 666

M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1637
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    SAGANNNNN! 

How long has it been since somebody won 2 world champs?

How long since 2 in a ROW!

I was rooting for Cav, but Sagan, man, strong.
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

Carlo Algatrensig

• Road Captain
    How long has it been since somebody won 2 world champs?

How long since 2 in a ROW!

9 Years
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• Road Captain
    In a sport that can sometimes have unexpected world champions its good to see that for the last 2 years the rider who I think is the best in the world is world champion and to do it in 2 different ways.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1880
    Had Cav won, pretty much everybody would have said it was a dull race but since it's colourful wheelying Sagan, it'as if it was the greatest race of the year. Last year he sucked wheels until the last 3k and this year until the last 200m.

I denounce this hypocrisy. Sagan won after sucking wheelsof domestiques all day long. We've got to admit it. Leezer would have been a worthier World Champion. I'm proud of my countrymen either, though tactically inept, they really worked hard all day long and should be rewarded for that more than the eventual winner. Props to Oliver, Jappe and Jens K. They are the true champions of the day (along with Van Aert & Van der Poel, of course).
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

benotti69

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 213
    Cav made 2 errors. Not following Sagan or when he went left, he went left again instead of going through the gap in between Matthews and Boonen.

Getting old. :D

Kristoff had a great lead out by EBH. He didn't have the legs to come around his leadout man. Weak to blame EBH.
  • ReplyReply
  • "ahaha, ever had the feeling you been cheated?" JL SF Jan'78

search

• World Champion
    Had Cav won, pretty much everybody would have said it was a dull race but since it's colourful wheelying Sagan, it'as if it was the greatest race of the year.

well, I don't know, for me personally Cav or Sagan winning it didn't make a difference in regards of the quality of the race. And Belgium worked for a reduced bunch sprint all day, and they got what they wanted I think - just not the result they desired. And Cav and Sagan did their turns in the beginning at least
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    Kristoff had a great lead out by EBH. He didn't have the legs to come around his leadout man. Weak to blame EBH.

On the contrary, that leadout was only good on paper - in practice it was a giant flip-up. Edvald did not start his leadout where he should and then got in the way of Aleksander when he stalled. Not a good day on the job for either of them, and it's now aggravated by blaming each other in public.
    I try to forget it and celebrate the stellar performance of Truls Korsæth. He was supposed to work in the first 150km but was the *no roadcaptain for 260 km. This is the second year in a row he rides very well in the worlds. Today he stepped up to the seniors and raced  like a seasoned pro.

That, and his teammate who won the U23 RR. #joker Joker-Byggtorget was the best team with *no riders, not #katusha or #didata. Aleksander Kristoff and Edvald Boasson Hagen need to talk to each other first and the press afterwards when racing for the same team. Today was a screw-up for both of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3661
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
     There was apparently a rather angry discussion on the Norwegian bus post race. Kristoff being very forthright...

Team Wales both flatted during the crosswinds. Must have been those extra round wheels.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

t-72

• Road Captain
    There was apparently a rather angry discussion on the Norwegian bus post race. Kristoff being very forthright...

It is everywhere in national media, relieving some of the pressure from the johaug doping scandal...a good old fashioned boss rivalry, how pleasant.   :cool
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2516
    Had Cav won, pretty much everybody would have said it was a dull race but since it's colourful wheelying Sagan, it'as if it was the greatest race of the year. Last year he sucked wheels until the last 3k and this year until the last 200m.

I denounce this hypocrisy. Sagan won after sucking wheelsof domestiques all day long. We've got to admit it. Leezer would have been a worthier World Champion. I'm proud of my countrymen either, though tactically inept, they really worked hard all day long and should be rewarded for that more than the eventual winner. Props to Oliver, Jappe and Jens K. They are the true champions of the day (along with Van Aert & Van der Poel, of course).

Sagan did do a number of turns at the beginning, and his teammate did work as well but simply is less than half the rider someone like Stuyven is. I think Sagan personally did about as much as GVA and Boonen did: take some turns in the beginning and when it was necessary, and then leave it to the domestiques after. It's just that the Belgians had more riders who could work. Can't blame Sagan for being born in a nation that doesn't produce a lot of top cyclists.

The Belgian team did very well to make the race hard. However a small group sprint between Boonen and Cavendish and Sagan would always be very difficult, even after a tough race. They were the strongest and bravest team here, but maybe in hindsight should have done more to make the faster sprinters work.

Personally, I am happy with the winner. Sure Sagan didn't ride the most aggressive race ever, but he has been the best WC in living memory the past year so I'm happy for him to continue that another year. Going to take some doing to stop him taking a triple next year: any WC parcours made for Kristoff will be good for Sagan too.

Overall a much better WC than exected - that doesn't change based on who won in the end. Definitely not an all-time great, there was far too little action between km 150 and 20 for that, but an enjoyable race nonetheless.

It was a bit odd for me as I had to leave with about 50 km to go. I was driving to a family event and followed the last hour on the radio in the car. By the time I got there it was 10 km to go... So I just rode around in circles until the winner was announced. I've seen all corners of my grandfather's hometown now, but it was worth it :lol
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• lukascph.media
    It was a bit odd for me as I had to leave with about 50 km to go. I was driving to a family event and followed the last hour on the radio in the car. By the time I got there it was 10 km to go... So I just rode around in circles until the winner was announced. I've seen all corners of my grandfather's hometown now, but it was worth it :lol
    :lol :cool
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    any WC parcours made for Kristoff will be good for Sagan too.

The WC parcours here (I live in Bergen) is not made for Kristoff. They'll go up Landåslien (re-named Mount Ulriken) way too many times for that. There is, however a flatter finish but it comes with some bends and little hills that make for attacks. I'd say more a course for GvA, Edvald Boasson Hagen, oh - and Peter Sagan, than one for Kristoff.  Rumours say they'll remove the buses so it will be a bit easier than this year  :)
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• lukascph.media
    Rumours say they'll remove the buses so it will be a bit easier than this year  :)
    Shame, a chaotic parcours with buses could work out in Kristoff's favour. :P
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• Domestique
    • Liked: 548
    I trust Peta Cavendish has put the best crokery safely away at home, he'll be hell for a while after that... Great podium though, the sight of those three will last longer than memories of the dreadful parcours, and complete lack of fans and atmosphere.

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 14:15 by Servais Knavendish »

M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1637
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    I trust Peta Cavendish has put the best Crickery safely away at home, he'll be hell for a while after that... Great podium though, the sight of those three will last longer than memories of the dreadful parcours, and complete lack of fans and atmosphere.

Imagine that, gender equality has arrived. Cav throwing dishes!  :lol

I would have been yelling for Cav, had he taken it. Just think, tho, no matter which of the 3 took it, it would be a twofer.

Wikipedia has already been updated to reflect Sagan's win. Only 4 riders have ever gotten the rainbow stripes 3 times. Alfredo Binda ( ITA ) Rik Van Steenbergen ( BEL ) Eddy Merckx ( BEL ) Óscar Freire ( ESP ). Since Freire was riding in the dark era, I kinda mentally discount that accomplishment. Props to Freire tho, otherwise, as I recall liking him as a rider.

If Sagan makes it a hat trick next year, it will be the first ever. I think it is possible that Sagan has it in him to match Merckx as an all-time winner.

I haven't gotten to watch this race yet - I'll have to download it later. But I am sure going to. Sounds like it was MUCH less boring than predicted!
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4155
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    for what was going to be the worlds most boring bike race, it ended up being waaayyyy better than we could have expected.

The crosswinds made it good, Belgium made it a great race.  They worked incredibly hard in order to give Boonen a shot at it, and the old guy tried super hard to finish it.  Unfortunately he is just that bit too old to match it with Cav and Sagan.

Going in I (as always) was concerned that such a flat course could produce a super lame world champ.  That a 10km sprint at the end would not be selective enough to be worth of a world championship race.   But the way it unfold I was pretty happy - Anyone who could win that race is deserving of the stripes, and that is all we can really ask for.

No it didnt have the fans, or the atmosphere - but it did produce a good race after all so the UCI was pretty lucky really.

Props to Sagan - he rode very well.  He did work hard when he needed to, and had enough left to finish it off.  He was a great world champ this season and I am pretty happy that he retained his jersey.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1880

Props to Sagan - he rode very well.  He did work hard when he needed to, and had enough left to finish it off.  He was a great world champ this season and I am pretty happy that he retained his jersey.

I thought you didn't like him?
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4155
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    I dont like him

But I recognize his talent.  And I have to give him credit for his WC year this year.  He won a monument, defended his Green Jersey and honored the WC jersey well.

I still think he is an arrogent egotistical jerk ... but he is a jerk with talent, and dual rainbows  :P
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 11:01 by AG »

Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1284

I couldn't disagree with you more. Belgium and to a lesser extent Italy and Norway decided what kind of race it was going to be, a sprint. Why? only they know as none of them had a winning sprinter. As soon as Degenkolb pulled out, the need to pull on the front disappeared, Cav and Sagan sat at the back as if to say, "Do what you like, I'm not chasing anything."

I felt sorry for the Dutchies, sitting there for kilometer after kilometer waiting for someone, anyone, to attack and allow them to counter. But no, the Belgians, Italians and Norwegians wanted their mediocre sprinters to take on Sagan, Matthews and Cavendish and got pretty much what they deserved, not a lot.

If someone is prepared to hand you a medal on a plate, what are you supposed to do? say, "Sorry I really don't deserve it, you go first."? No, the polite thing to do is say, "I don't know why you did that but thank you all the same."

I must admit I really enjoyed Sagan's post race interview, an ecstatic cascade of words in a language he finds as difficult to understand as Belgian team tactics.
  • ReplyReply

•