Yellow Peril

• Neo Pro
  • Liked: 269
  • Awards: best new member of 2016
Boonen has a rich history of winning in the desert so  think it was a reasonable call by the Belgians to invest one last time in a potential sprint win for him.

I really enjoyed the race and the way the Belgian team emerged from the peleton right on cue as they turned onto the croswinds section and drove the race made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Great stuff.
  • ReplyReply
  • Giving my view on life, cycling and the desire to do a sub 26min 10mTT on the Isle of Man @JaunePeril

Yellow Peril

• Neo Pro

A superb photo by Graham Watson of Tom Boonen making the rest of the world dance the Belgian Tango in the crosswinds yesterday.
  • ReplyReply

• Jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 813
    • Original Fendrien...
      • Fendrien
    well, I don't know, for me personally Cav or Sagan winning it didn't make a difference in regards of the quality of the race.

Absolutely. The Finale wasn't the best but the racing with over 170km to go was among the most entertaining we have seen this season.

If they have race Lombardy or Flanders like that we would be talking of a race for all ages.
  • ReplyReply
  • The fens are just West West Flanders really...

t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3696
    I couldn't disagree with you more. Belgium and to a lesser extent Italy and Norway decided what kind of race it was going to be, a sprint. Why? only they know as none of them had a winning sprinter. As soon as Degenkolb pulled out, the need to pull on the front disappeared, Cav and Sagan sat at the back as if to say, "Do what you like, I'm not chasing anything."

I felt sorry for the Dutchies, sitting there for kilometer after kilometer waiting for someone, anyone, to attack and allow them to counter. But no, the Belgians, Italians and Norwegians wanted their mediocre sprinters to take on Sagan, Matthews and Cavendish and got pretty much what they deserved, not a lot.

Giacomo Nizzolo and Aleksander Kristoff are not mediocre sprinters compared to Sagan, Matthews and Cavendish, but for a 260 km race, it matters more how you get to the sprint compared to a typical Tdf sprint stage of 160 km. It probably matters even more than that if the race is run in exceptionally hot conditions. Sagan and Boonen are very good in long races, even better than Kristoff - while Cavendish has some advantages when it comes to hiding from wind.
    Italy, Belgium and Norway did not have a winning sprinter on the day, but they were all going to risk the sprint if only they could get rid of the Germans, which they did.
  • ReplyReply

• Yellow Peril

• Neo Pro
    Giacomo Nizzolo and Aleksander Kristoff are not mediocre sprinters compared to Sagan, Matthews and Cavendish, but for a 260 km race, it matters more how you get to the sprint compared to a typical Tdf sprint stage of 160 km. It probably matters even more than that if the race is run in exceptionally hot conditions. Sagan and Boonen are very good in long races, even better than Kristoff - while Cavendish has some advantages when it comes to hiding from wind.
    Italy, Belgium and Norway did not have a winning sprinter on the day, but they were all going to risk the sprint if only they could get rid of the Germans, which they did.

To be fair Kristoff hasn't had much of a op level sprint season. With such a lack of form it isn't surprising that he couldn't come around EBH at the end.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 14100
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    I had not seen Greipel's comment on the race yet, but I think it's worth a read, and also shows again what a great sportsperson he is

Hi guys,

around 48 hours after the World Cup, here are some infos about the race from my point of view.

The German team was very motivated and well prepared for the race. All riders, coaches and the sporting management had invested a great effort to be well prepared. Peter Sagan proved again, that you don’t need 6 or even 9 riders to become champion. Congrats to Peter for his strong performance. He’s got such a wide range of abilities, which no other cyclist in the world has got. Not only his diverse physical abilities and his self-confidence are unique, he also can read a race pretty good.

the race:

Through the preparatory work of Nils Politt, Jasha Sütterlin and Tony Martin, John Degenkolb and I could jump into into the first echelon. After another curve and an even narrower road, I couldn’t get into the next created echelon and so i quickly found myself in the second group. A little bit later John fell back with a defect and had to join the second group where Marcel and I were trying to get closer to the leading group. Without this defect Dege could have a had a chance to fight about the world title.

We tried everything to close the gap but we had no chance. Especially the teams from Belgium and Italy with 8 riders gave full speed and kept us at a distance. We had a realistic chance of the podium, but simply do not act consistently enough at the crucial moments. Even when we rode the rounds on Pearl Island we gave everything in the first three rounds to get closer but little by little our resources were gone. For certain our time trial riders could have helped us here, but unfortunately the wind wasn’t on our side this day. In my opinion,  all the speculation about our team were useless. Marcel and John have proven that they are team player. They have sacrificed themselves for me. I really appreciate it. And I respect all of my team mates for the work they have done.

I will learn from these experiences and I already look forward to the new season. Cycling is my passion and my job at the same time. If there are possible improvements then I will focus on them and continue the hard work to become even better. I’m gonna fight for every millimeter.

I have been the captain of the German team and of course I’m taking responsibility for the race. It’s always a great honor to represented Germany, so knew I wanted to finish this race, even there was nothing to gain.

Thank you for your permanent support. Please keep your fingers crossed for the next season.

Yours André

http://andregreipel.de/en/2016/10/18/our-chance-gone-with-the-wind/
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1284
    We'll just have to agree to differ. And I should make this clear, I don't think Kristoff is a mediocre cyclist, I think he is a great cyclist, just a mediocre sprinter when compared to the best on a pan flat course (It was a long, hot race but it wasn't in any way hard once they turned for the Pearl). Nizzolo has never demonstrated anything that suggested he could beat all the other sprinters in that group.

I don't see the point of getting rid of the Germans and leaving Cavendish in there, I'd take my chances against Sagan and Matthews, but leaving all three of them to sit in the wheels when you've got weapons like GVA and EBH unutilised and the Dutchies ready to mix it up, seemed a big mistake at the time and even more so with hindsight.
  • ReplyReply

•