just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 11459
  • Awards: 2020 Tour de France CQ Game winner2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Heat not getting any better That Callum Scotsman blow out was impressive
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

LukasCPH

• Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 7813
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    The UCI has presented a new ITT #rainbow rainbow jersey:

;)
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3696
    .... If they cut the desert loop, they would add laps on The Pearl.

OK, then the logic is not to cut distance to reduce fatigue, but to run the race where help is close at hand. That is actually not a bad idea. Maybe install ice box crash pads on the outside bends too  :lol
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    A diplomatic crisis between Quatar and Norway was averted today because the cycling fan known as T-72 was NOT in the country at the time when some random Quatari official with a uniform drove his car into Susanne Andersen's bike from behind, and then reportedly walked out of the car and lit a cigarette. IF the cycling fan had been in the country, it is probable that T-72 would have been used to one of the few things T-72s are good for, namely FLATTEN THAT CAR WITH THE F!"#%"#% RETARDED DRIVER INSIDE  :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry. If that was the Quatari chief of staff, so #¤%/Y¤#% be it.

Susanne thinks she will be ok and start the road race. Her bike is broken.
    The first Quatari - Norwegian war won't start for maybe one more year, but if  mr offical asshole  shows up in Bergen next year it might not be possible to avoid it anymore...

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    The first Quatari - Norwegian war won't start for maybe one more year, but if  mr offical asshole  shows up in Bergen next year it might not be possible to avoid it anymore...
    Since Mr Official Asshole is apparently a local Qatari police officer (with blatant disregard of both cyclists and women), the risk of him turning up in Bergen is pretty low. ;)
  • ReplyReply

• DJW

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 896
    • Awards: Rio Olympics Prediction Champ

Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 987
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    ^Wonder how long hehad a car to draft.

I think there's one key difference  between the heat in Spain and the heat in the middle east, and that's the perception among fans. The latter tends to get a lot more heat from them.

Qatar is not humid. Not in the day anyway. This is a regular feature in day night cricket matches in Asia.  think Mellow's regarding experience point is very valid. We'll see over the next couple of days how the more experienced riders handle the heat.
  • ReplyReply

• Jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 813
    • Original Fendrien...
      • Fendrien
    Finally caught up with the TTT last night on TV.

Underwhelming comes to mind.
  • ReplyReply
  • The fens are just West West Flanders really...

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2020 Tour de France CQ Game winner2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    after Jnr mens ITT

Medal Tally /gm /sm /bm
    1 *de Germany 11
    2 *usa USA11
    3 *nl Holland 1
    4 *it Italy1
    5 *fr France1
    5 *au Australia1
    5 *dk Denamrk1
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• lukascph.media
    ^Wonder how long hehad a car to draft.
    The ambulance was there for maybe 20-30 seconds.
    It wasn't optimal, and it definitely shouldn't have been there, but I think it didn't influence the race much.
    Mathis is a very strong rider, won all the endurance disciplines at the German track champs, a.o. beating Roger Kluge in the IP. He hasn't deserved to be painted as "the guy who only won due to drafting".
    Even if without having possibly gotten an advantage from drafting (and, like I said, I don't think he did), he would still have finished on the podium.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    Medal Tally /gm /sm /bm
    1 *usa USA21
    2 *de Germany 11
    2 *nl Holland 11
    4 *it Italy1
    5 *au Australia2
    6 *fr France1
    6 *dk Denamrk1

after Womens ITT
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    There are some not so pretty results from heat exhaustion to be seen in the shorter races we have seen so far. The road races must take the heat into account (although I think the weather forecast looks better).  Either go slower, or go shorter. I hope helicopter evacuation is an option if someone collapses 70 km out in the desert.
    I honestly admit I may have underestimated the heat - frostbite and hypothermia may be preferable after all. The effect seems harder on the younger riders, perhaps they are less aware of the signals or more willing to push themselves despite signs of danger. The problem is if many riders in the  RR simultaneously drive themselves  to a state of dehydration and heat exhaustion  - how large is the capacity to treat these conditions? In the desert, they will need to be evacuated into a cool environment somewhere, reasonably quick, and the distances are considerable - at least for the men's RR.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 23:13 by t-72, Reason: inglisj grammar mistakes by the nårvisjn dude :( »

LukasCPH

• lukascph.media
    There are some not so pretty results from heat exhaustion to be seen in the shorter races we have seen so far. The road races must take the heat into account (although I think the weather forecast looks better).  Either go slower, or go shorter.
    The problem with "go slower" is that the riders make the race. And they're unlikely to go slower just because it would be prudent to do so; on the contrary.

I really, really hope that the exhaustion we've seen so far will be the worst casualty we'll have during this Worlds week. :(
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    The problem with "go slower" is that the riders make the race. And they're unlikely to go slower just because it would be prudent to do so; on the contrary.

I really, really hope that the exhaustion we've seen so far will be the worst casualty we'll have during this Worlds week. :(

Personally, the hottest day I ever experienced was in  Arizona, so I shouldn't be too surprised that  "Heat native" *usa Brandon McNulty is victorious in Doha. There may be some advantages with familiarity with the weather:
    "It was definitely toasty out, but my hometown is Phoenix, Arizona"
    :D
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 987
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    Might I add just one point, most riders have been preparing for the heat of racing in Qatar by racing in the late September, early October chill of Europe. That's not perfect preparation to say the least.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 14100
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    it depends I think, the Canyon SRAM girls for example arrived 1 1/2 weeks before the start, as it (according to the team) takes 8-9 days for the body to adopt with the conditions. Not everyone has the opportunity to do that of course, or to do a training camp in Oman like the Dutch girls, but we need to keep in mind that most of those who had severe problems so far were basically "amateurs".

Sure, some people can cope better with the heat than others, but generally I think it won't be much of a problem for the men's elite race - and all the others aren't that long anyway
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3661
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game

I think our experience of watching hot, flat Vuelta stages in Southern Spain suggests that the riders will indeed "go slower" for much of the race.
    I would not at all be surprised for Sunday's event to take well over 7 hours to complete, should it be the full course.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    Medal Tally /gm /sm /bm
    1 *de Germany 21
    2 *usa USA21
    3 *nl Holland 11
    4 *it Italy1
    4 *by Belarus1
    6 *au Australia2
    7 *fr France1
    7 *dk Denamrk1
    7 *es Spain1

after the ITTs
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 813
    • Original Fendrien...
      • Fendrien
    Been an odd worlds so far for me.

Feels pretty low key.

Good win for Tony though, going to seem weird him not in a Quickstep rainbow skin suit next year though.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3661
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    Talking of the lack of crowds, Yorkshire gets the 2019 Worlds. :D
  • ReplyReply

• pastronef

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 666
    Talking of the lack of crowds, Yorkshire gets the 2019 Worlds. :D

it will be amazing to see the hundred thousands of people on the course.

one of the few right choices made by the UCI
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    it will be amazing to see the hundred thousands of people on the course.

one of the few right choices made by the UCI

sure will be crowds how much will it cost to have barriers for 254 km :lol
  • ReplyReply

• zinoviev letter

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 172
    Outstanding ride by Ryan Mullen. He's been touted as a big TT prospect all through the age group ranks, so it's great to see him up with the big boys in the discipline, fifth in his first elite WC TT. He was still eligible to ride as an U23, I think, certainly he is well under 23 but I'm slightly confused by the new eligibility rules for U23s with pro contracts.

He's actually had a quiet neopro year up until this. He even got beaten by Roche and Eddie Dunbar in the Irish TT championships. Whatever about Roche, he really shouldn't be losing to Dunbar. Dunbar is a surprisingly good TTer for a midget climber (he came 9th in the U23s TT Worlds the other day), but Mullen has basic physical advantages over him and is just better at the discipline. Great to see him get back on course.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• lukascph.media
    He was still eligible to ride as an U23, I think, certainly he is well under 23 but I'm slightly confused by the new eligibility rules for U23s with pro contracts.
    He was still eligible for U23, yes.

It's really surprisingly simple: Anyone with a "cycling age" of 22 or less (so, for 2016, born in or after 1994) can enter U23 Worlds (and U23 Nations Cup races), pro contract or not. :)
  • ReplyReply

•