zinoviev letter

• Domestic Rider
  • Liked: 172
He was still eligible for U23, yes.

It's really surprisingly simple: Anyone with a "cycling age" of 22 or less (so, for 2016, born in or after 1994) can enter U23 Worlds (and U23 Nations Cup races), pro contract or not. :)

But is there not also a rule that you aren't eligible if you've previously entered an elite WC? And can you ride the elite TTT and the u23 ITT?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7462
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    But is there not also a rule that you aren't eligible if you've previously entered an elite WC?
    Yes, there is; very well remembered. :cool

And can you ride the elite TTT and the u23 ITT?
    Apparently you can.
    There are only provisions for former participants of the elite RR to start the U23 RR or former participants of the elite ITT to start the U23 ITT. So you could, in theory, enter the elite ITT (but not the RR) in one year and still be eligible for the U23 RR (but not the ITT) the next year.
    You could even enter the U23 ITT and the elite RR (or the elite ITT and the U23 RR) in the same year! :lol
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3299
    Was it just me who noticed many riders had trouble with cycling straight today? Would be interesting to see the differences in measured length, even if that is clearly not the key to Tony Martin's big win today. Hats off!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 12964
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    some more about riders struggling with the heat, from Norwegian press, basically agreeing to what I said the other day, that it's mainly a problem of a lack of professionalism

(gt)

According to the Norwegians have really riders who have collapsed and been carried away only themselves to blame.

- I think it's about poor preparation. That is my opinion. I do not know what they've done, but I saw few U23- and junior riders at the airport when I arrived last Tuesday. Coming the day before competition, then you have a problem. In any case, whether you come from Northern Europe, and it is not so hot in Southern Europe now that you are acclimatized when you come here. So it requires an effort. But it's too expensive for associated travel here and be here long. So one must weigh the bit and cons. But there is also a lot you can do at home. But the fact that people collapsing ... I think it's because of some poor preparation.

It believes Amund Grondahl Jansen - one of the big outsiders at U23 mass start Thursday.

Ole Forfang, now recovered from severe stomach cramps on Monday and Tuesday, agrees.

- It's probably more that they have prepared themselves poor. Are you a little bad to drink in a training, for example, so know one very. We've been down here a long time now because of the heat. If we just drink enough nor enough water whatsoever, so is not really heat such a big problem. Are you a little careless, so it can go bad.

- Is Norway better prepared than others?

- In the U23 side we are probably better prepared. Among the pros, there are plenty pretty similar, but there are many Under-23 nations that have not made the same preparations in the heat as we have.

While most Norwegian riders have been in Qatar for over a week already, it is far from everyone else who is equally early.

The French senior riders, for example, does not come to Doha until late Wednesday night - and that despite the fact that they, among other things with the big favorites Nacer Bouhanni and Arnaud Démare the squad.

Junior riders were not in place long before the competition either, which perhaps explains how this year's European champion in pace, Alexys Brunel managed to be number 34 on Tuesday.

Kristoffer Halvorsen, one of gold favorites on Thursday, agrees with his colleagues on the Norwegian team.

- I also think it's about that one is ill prepared. It's hot, but do you do things right in advance, then it goes here very well.

...although EBH yesterday still finished way down the order in the time trial as he suffered from the heat :D. But well, that's a different story I guess - he wasn't able to show his potential, but (as far as I know) his health was not at risk
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11159
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 810
    • Original Fendrien...
      • Fendrien
    The fens are just West West Flanders really...

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1650
    Has it been said that each rider are provided "ice-vest"?

The Gazet van Antwerpen showed a picture of Victor Campenaerts on their front page with such a vest on. Each rider also has 18 bidons...

According to the Belang van Limburg, it comes from clothing manufacturer "Bioracer", a Limburgish company. Raymond Verstraeten, CEO of Bioracer explains that it is a kind of synthetic towel - Intercooler Top -  in the undershirt which once it's humid keeps the body temperature cool. the vest is put in iced water just before the start. It can be reactivated during the race by bidons.

Three Etixx rider raced with it during the TTT. Martin wasn't one of them but in the meantime he got one for the ITT.

Peter Hespel is an effort physiologist who is not surprised at the display shown by riders cooked by the sun and expects a lot more victims.

Riders in Doha are sweating more than normal whereby the blood volume lowers down. Their heart pumps less blood per minute and in the end their heart beat and blood pressure drop. Riskier is overheating. The body temperature can go well beyond 37°C. As a consequence the brains may be hit and the body thermostat as well. The rider then stops sweating and loses drink stimulus. He then gets a heat stroke whereby his coordination ability gets lost and he gets disoriented. If you don't look out, the Tom Simpson scenario is possible, he warns.  :o

If the UCI keep their project, the men are racing 253k and women 138k. "Absurdity" says Hespel "Judging from what we saw during the ITT, it can only get worse in the in-line race. The riders who will have to retire from the race after they had put their leader in front might get saved but for those who have to give themselves out, the heat-exhaustion lays on the lurk."

Van Avermaet said he can handle that heat (front page of the Belang van Limburg)

The front page of the Belang's sport extra features a bbig picture of Tony Martin of course and also the headline: "Riders are cooked by the heat"

• ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

t-72

• Road Captain

Warning: below post might be suffering from the biased point of view of the poster.  :-x

Sorry for calling in late, I had to see this for myself.
    1) Norway was handed the full responsibility in the peloton for 60-70% of the way.
    2) Norway had a full team where everyone was in good shape and completed their tasks very well.
    3) Norway had the best sprinter.

When UCI hands you a flat course that's how you squeeze a victory out of it: make the race and take the race. Any complaints?

*no  *no  *no  *no  *no  *no  *no  *no  *no  *no  *no  *no  *no  *no  *no  *no  *no  *no  *no  *no 

JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 08:48 by just some guy »

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    Medal Tally /gm /sm /bm
    1 *de Germany 2 2 0
    2 *usa USA 2 1 1
    3 *it Italy 1 1 1
    4 *nl Netherlands 1 1 0
    5 *no Norway 1 0 1
    6 *by Belarus 0 1 0
    6 *dk Denmark 0 1 0
    8 *au Australia 0 0 2
    9 *es Spain 0 0 1
    9 *fr France 0 0 1

after the jnr womens
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 12:50 by LukasCPH »

Echoes

• Road Captain
    Enzo Wouters aged 20 is the second Belgian rider hit by the heat.  :(

Again he started to hyper-ventilating, that was with 3k to go, reached the finish with foam on the mouth, panted for breath. On the line he just left his bike. Afterwards he does not remember what went on.

Doc Kris Van der Mieren said that the problem with Enzo is that he had to race one lap and a half without drinking. It's not easy to give a bidon to a rider in the finale. Enzo got an infustion and got his senses back immediately.

Doctor forbade Jasper Philipsen to race today. Jasper wanted to and felt like he could. He did everything he could to persuade the doc. Personally I'm relieved. I understand that a young kid like him is eager to race but it was a wise decision by the doc. I would be worried if he were racing. 

Doc:
    I wouldn't let my children ride and so I don't let Jasper do it.

Belang van Limburg

In the Nieuwsblad, Enzo admitted making a mistake to race through. At the end he felt really stuffy. And he was told that his body temperature was 40°C  :o Jean-Pierre Dubois, national coach for U23 said he was for a little while unconscious. He tried to keep standing but fell in the arms of soigneurs and was transported in an ambulance.

It's also been said that in the feed zone many riders missed the bidons. Feeding would be crucial during the pro races.

• ReplyReply

• Havetts

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1056
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016Doper Shoot Out 2013
    Still havent watched a single second of footage out of principle, its a disgrace that its even hosted there... Money talks  bullsh*t walks.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    It's also been said that in the feed zone many riders missed the bidons. Feeding would be crucial during the pro races.
    This is the main concern I have.
    If they're racing not 3-4 hours, but 6-7 hours, the problem will become bigger. :(
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media

Medal table after the MJ road race:
    Medal Tally /gm /sm /bm
    1 *de Germany 2 3 0
    2 *usa USA 2 1 1
    3 *it Italy 1 1 1
    4 *dk Denmark 1 1 0
    4 *nl Netherlands 1 1 0
    6 *no Norway 1 0 1
    7 *by Belarus 0 1 0
    8 *au Australia 0 0 2
    9 *ch Switzerland 0 0 1
    9 *es Spain 0 0 1
    9 *fr France 0 0 1
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    Still havent watched a single second of footage out of principle, its a disgrace that its even hosted there... Money talks  bullsh*t walks.
    There are a lot of allegations concerning corruption and bribes in the UCI related to the Quatar worlds, but I think it doesn't have to be that way at all. There is a much simpler explanation, the price tag for hosting the worlds is ridiculously high, and the Quataris (Quatars?) were the only ones that were prepared to pay the full price. Other host cities bargain with the UCI and pay less. I don't know (don't remember) the numbers but Bergen's applications did not have the budget for paying full price, and that is the norm. You never pay retail, if you are buying a cycling championship- unless you're from Arabia.

However, there is a huge difference between a competitive bidding process in which money is the only criterion that is being considered, and corruption. If it was corruption you'd blame both parties, but for the poorly designed process of selecting the next location for the world championship, the responsibility is with UCI alone. They should have some filters applies before it comes to the bidding: "is there a cycling club in your country", "have you seen a cycling fan before", "do you have a national championship, for how many years?" "What does a hill look like ?" Etc :)
    Hopefully the money UCI earns from the oversize Arabian host fee payment will be spent on something useful for the sport. From a sporting perspective I am ambivalent despite Norwegian medals: these races lack something we had in Firenze, Pontferrada and Richmond - and most recently, in Rio.
    I don't think cycling really needs the world championships in the years with Olympic Games. The Olympics make the world championship a secondary event, of less sporting value. If you agree to that perspective, then you can maybe also see the point that selling that second-rate product to a party that is willing to pay full price is probably an exceptional business deal for the UCI. One does not need to invoke corruption to explain it.
    As for the sporting perspective, I think there is a positive long term effect: the worlds in Bergen next year will be better - as more of the best racers will make it a top priority, compared to this year, when many prioritized the Olympics. Come see it for yourselves :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain

From yesterday's De Morgen

Greg Van Avermaet can become World Champion next Sunday. He even has a concrete plan but he won’t say more. The only thing we know for sure is that training mate Oliver Naesen will play a crucial role in it but even the accomplice will shut up like a dead.

You are both part of “De Parelvissers” (“The Pearl Fishers”), a band of riders from the Waasland and the area of the Dender River who go training together. Have you learn to know each other from there?

Van Avermaet nodding: I’ve founded the “Parelvissers” along with my cousins Matthias and Thomas Ongena. In the meantime we’ve forgotten about where the name “Parelvissers” came from but it’s a fun way to train. We are a roughly 10-man band, a fun band. Four years ago Matthias asked whether Oliver could get along in an Ardennes weekend, our fixed rendezvous to finish the season. I didn’t know him but I agreed to it.

Naesen: I had a good welcome and we got along very well right away. I was no pro yet back then but I’ve kept training along and never missed a day.

You do have very different characters, don’t you? Oliver is the talkative parrot while Greg is more introvert. Is that correct?

Greg: There aren’t so many differences but Ollie is more social than I am, yeah.

Ollie: I’m a bit more extravert. If something is sticking to my throat, I have to vent it out.

Like after the Eurometropole Tour? You called Dylan Groenewegen villainous [actually not him, but what happened], retarded and moronic after a sprint incident. Greg doesn’t even dare to think of such things.

Greg: Thinking about it, I do. But it’s true I would never say it. I’m a bit more quiet but I would also have been angry if I were him. If you sprint for the win and you are pushed to the barriers, you are furious.

Ollie: My problem was not the win. It was very dangerous. At 65kmh I landed in the gutter and even had to jump over a block of concrete in a 1mm thick jersey and with a plastic helmet. I read that I’m a bad loser but that’s not true. I’m doing nothing but losing. If I crash there and break my wrist. Then I couldn’t have gone to the Worlds. That was the point.

You got a lot of support in the peloton. Edward Theuns named it the interview of the year.

Ollie: In Binche-Chimay-Binche (two days after the Eurometropole Tour, ed) teammates of Groenewegen’s came to me one by one and said “We may not say it loud but you are right”

Who is your favourite for Sunday?

Ollie: In my opinion it’s Greg. You cannot predict the wind but I’m assuming it can be a hard race.
    Greg: I suspect the temperature won’t be a problem but I fear the sprinters will still be favoured. But who? I say Cavendish.

Ollie: But he hasn’t raced for long.

Greg: He still raced in Italy. Cavendish can race in echelons and is very fast. But After a hard race, You don’t know. Then there are chances. After a hard race I can beat anyone, even Cavendish.

You’ve never done that yet?

Greg: After 250k he also is no longer there anymore.

You rarely play hide-and-sneek. If you say you are tired, then it’s true, isn’t it?

Greg: Yeah in the meantime there’s been a lot to do about it but what should I say if I’m asked about it, lying?

Does a tired Van Avermaet have any chances at the Worlds?

Ollie: the Van Avermaet of Rio was also tired.

Greg: True. I had raced the Tour of France and the Classica San Sebastian. I was not super fresh but I was ready. Why these doubts? Look at my results. First in Montreal. 2nd in Quebec, 4th in the Tour of the Low Countries and 4th in Binche. Try to find somebody with better results in the last few months.

Is Oliver the man who can keep you from the wind like Maes will do with Boonen?

Greg: That’s been agreed with the national coach. Iljo Keisse will stay with me. I think Oliver can get deeper in the race. He must think further. He’s too good to sacrifice himself so early. If I got him newt to me in the final lap, then a lot is possible.

Tell us

Greg: I have something in mind but I won’t say it yet.

Do you know his plan?

Ollie (laughing his head off): I shut up.

Oliver, for you, it’s your first Worlds: it’s apparent how enthusiastic you are.

Ollie: I find it a real honour. We have a nice team to ride here. Look at the names: Boonen is the King of Qatar, Greg is along with Sagan the best rider in the world and all the domestiques have won something this year. We should do such Worlds more often.

You have no problem with secondary roles?

Ollie: A somebody should know his place. The best Naesen can still hardly reach the heels of the worst Van Avermaet.

You called yourself a lighter version of Van Avermaet.

Ollie: Greg light, even superlight. I’m trying to emulate his style but I’m far from being as good.

Greg, how nice is it to have with you a rider you can trust with your wallet?

Greg: That’s very important. Having a good mate in support is totally different from a passer-by who for a while comes to ride for you. Ollie gives me peace. I like having a team that is 100% behind me. That’s when I perform the best.

Ollie: For me the relationship is reversed. Greg inspires me. Training with the Olympic champion is a great incentive.

Greg: That works both ways. Ollie also makes me better. He pushes me in training. When he came for the first times in the Ardennes I knew immediately: this guy can do more. Normally if I attack there’s nobody left in my wheel but he was still in my wheel. I still remember I thought: “Jeez, this kid here can do things” [hard to translate, it’s dialect words]

We had thought that you would have pleaded for him in BMC.

Greg: I did. After the classics I said I wanted Ollie with us. “It’s good”, they said. “But you still need to wait a little bit.” I reiterated my request before the nats but they waited for too long (Naesen signed with AG2R last July, ed). Now they asked: “How stupid have we been?” It’s the most stupid thing they could have done and I also told them so. They then came up with a few other names but I don’t want to pick somebody like that. I praised Oliver because I was 100% sure he would have been an added-value. He can do more than those who are now along.

Ollie: I would really have liked to go to BMC but it didn’t seem to succeed. AG2R offered two years and sporting freedom: then you shouldn’t hesitate for too long. If you see where I was two or three years ago, then you won’t hear me complain.

The story goes that you went racing to get rid of hangovers.

Ollie: That’s over the top. I’ve been a student like everybody and went occasionally with friends to a football match and would drink a beer. I haven’t finished my studies and started working as a courier. 10 hour days. In that period all my spare time were dedicated to racing. A hard combo but I was rather good in kermesses and that’s how I got a contract with Topsport Vlaanderen.

Greg: He’s very good in local laps. Beware of him for next Sunday.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    very interesting, thanks a lot. Although I personally think that Naesen has a bigger chance of winning than van Avermaet, flying a bit more under the radar - even if that chance is still slim of course
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    There are a lot of allegations concerning corruption and bribes in the UCI related to the Quatar worlds, but I think it doesn't have to be that way at all. There is a much simpler explanation, the price tag for hosting the worlds is ridiculously high, and the Quataris (Quatars?) were the only ones that were prepared to pay the full price. Other host cities bargain with the UCI and pay less. I don't know (don't remember) the numbers but Bergen's applications did not have the budget for paying full price, and that is the norm. You never pay retail, if you are buying a cycling championship- unless you're from Arabia.
    Only they paid the double price! :o
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media

Medal table after the WE road race:
    Medal Tally /gm /sm /bm
    1 *de Germany 2 3 0
    2 *usa USA 2 1 1
    3 *dk Denmark 2 1 0
    4 *nl Netherlands 1 2 0
    5 *it Italy 1 1 1
    6 *no Norway 1 0 1
    7 *by Belarus 0 1 0
    8 *au Australia 0 0 2
    9 *fi Finland 0 0 1
    9 *ch Switzerland 0 0 1
    9 *es Spain 0 0 1
    9 *fr France 0 0 1
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    Congratulations  *dk !

This leaves  *is as the only nordic country without a medal in this year's championships! (olympics and worlds).

By the way, it was a perfect race as a hangover cure :)

EDIT: Lukas beat me to it with the results table...media geeks!  :D
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    This leaves  *is as the only nordic country without a medal in this year's championships! (olympics and worlds).
    And it's likely to stay that way. :lol
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 463
    Congratulations  *dk !

GB & Belgium also notable absentees... as yet...!!! :shh
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    is has been a while... star ratings :win :win

*be Het Nieuwsblad

***** Greipel
    **** Gaviria, Cavendish
    *** Boonen, Sagan, Démare
    ** Kittel, Kristoff, Bouhanni, Matthews
    * Viviani, Degenkolb, Groenewegen, GvA, Terpstra
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 463
    is has been a while... star ratings :win :win

*be Het Nieuwsblad

***** Greipel
    **** Gaviria, Cavendish
    *** Boonen, Sagan, Démare
    ** Kittel, Kristoff, Bouhanni, Matthews
    * Viviani, Degenkolb, Groenewegen, GvA, Terpstra

Good pointers... I always get bent out of shape worrying that the winner will be a dud, not really fit to wear the bands, I know if you win you have earned them, but in this most inauspicious set of Champs races I am hopeful that a 'deserver' gets 12 months of bliss.  So for gentle arguments sake, for me, the above would fall into the following categories:

Well deserving of Perpetual Rainbow cuffs (obvs some are already owners): :cool
    Greipel / Cav / Tomeke/ Sagan / GvA / Degenkolb (just)

Probably will elevate to that group in a few years but it is tooooooo soon: :shh
    Gaviria, Bling, Groenewegen

The Rui Costa Partial Dud but better than Valverde group: ;)
    Terps, Kitt, Demare

The Please please please dont let it be them for a variety of reasons group: :o
    Kristoff / Bouh / Viv /

Fair comment?
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain

The Please please please let it be them for a variety of reasons group: :o
    Kristoff Kristoff and only Kristoff!

Fair comment?

That was very nice of you Servais  :D

:angel
  • ReplyReply

• zinoviev letter

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 172
    Good pointers... I always get bent out of shape worrying that the winner will be a dud, not really fit to wear the bands, I know if you win you have earned them, but in this most inauspicious set of Champs races I am hopeful that a 'deserver' gets 12 months of bliss.  So for gentle arguments sake, for me, the above would fall into the following categories:

Probably will elevate to that group in a few years but it is tooooooo soon: :shh

Terps, Kitt, Demare

Kristoff / Bouh / Viv /

Fair comment?

I am almost exactly opposite in my preferences: I want an underdog to win just about every race, and when it's a race where people get sniffy about "undeserving" winners, I slightly perversely want some random nobody to win. I'd quite enjoy the outrage if some third or fourth rank sprinter gets to wear the bands for year.
  • ReplyReply

• pastronef

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 656
    me

riders I wish or not to win:

Viviani: yes just because he rides for Sky (if he rode for other teams I wouldnt care)

Nizzolo: strangely I cheer for an Italian, he´s had good form this autumn and rides for Trek.

Sagan: please no, no no no.

Kittel: no

Greipel: well, if a German has to win, I wish Greipel for sure

Demare: no

Bouhanni: yes, oh the outrage. and Cofidis is not invited to Japan Cup nor Abu Dhabi. I´d like to see how/if they can get a fast tracked wild card (mind, Etixx is not invited to both races either)

Bling: mmm, finally yes, even though he leaves Orica to go to Giant

Danny Van Poppel: yes, same reason as Viviani

Groenewegen: yes, Lotto-Jumbo need a big win

Cav: yes ohohoh!

Gaviria: no no

Kristoff: mmm, better than Sagan for sure

Stannard: I cant even think about that. it would be so fantastic and marvellous and.. well.. I´m dreaming

I forgot Boonen: same as what Slow Rider says. nothing against him. but lefevre and his fans...
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2504
    On today's women's race: Dideriksen is a surprising winner, nice to see a young talent announce herself in a big way like this. The Dutch controlled the race but made two small mistakes: letting Neben attack without any Dutch rider with her, and Wild going a bit too early. They missed 1 person in their train, despite a brilliant lead-out effort from Van Dijk in particular.

Some strange tactics from the riders from Italy and Germany, who both didn't really have a sprint favourite yet rode as though they had: very defensive, refusing to take over when following an attack. It was too bad, as that meant the Dutch and Neben were the only ones interested in making something out of this race, and those efforts were ultimately in vain. Australia and Belgium had a free ride until the finish, but I guess the race was harder than it looked because both Hosking and D'Hoore were nowhere near at the sprint.

Overall probably the worst women's WC RR I've ever seen. Pointless parcours, which really devalues the rainbow jersey. Not that Dideriksen is an unworthy winner - she was a worthy winner on an unworthy parcours.

Terps, Kitt, Demare

Kristoff / Bouh / Viv /

Fair comment?

I do like to see the rainbow jersey on a big rider, preferably either a GT contender or a cobbled classics contender. Seeing it on Cavendish or Kittel wouldn't feel right to me, but Greipel I do like and respect so I'm just a hypocrit. I would definitely prefer any random rider winning the jersey in an attack over a big name sprinter winning it though. Except that's definitely not going to happen, unfortunately.

And unlike you, I would love Valverde to win the rainbows before he retires. Besides Sagan there is not one rider more prominently present in the peloton throughout many different races - and different kinds of races - than Alejandro is. He would honour the jersey more than anyone.

Just please, anyone but Boonen. Nothing against the guy, but the Sporza commentators would be insufferable next spring.

And Lefevre would be happy. I hate it when Lefevre is happy.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4013
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    totally agree with everything SR said about the womens race.

I can only hope the mens race is an improvement (though in the last few years the womens race has been much better so its not looking promising)

I would really like Greipel to win it.  He is someone I have a huge amount of respect for, and who I would love to see wearing rainbows.

Otherwise - Cav and Sagan have had a turn, though both are good enough that I wouldnt be too upset.  I would be happy with Matthews just caus ... Aussie etc  :P

would prefer not
    Kittel - just not quite there
    Gaviria - not yet
    Vivianni (though I dont mind him really)
    Demare - after cheating to win MSR I dislike him
    Bouhanni  :(

I would not like an outsider.  The rainbows are just too much.
  • ReplyReply

•