collapse

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 5771
    • lukascph.media
  • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
Apparently London bid for the 2017 Grand Départ, won the bid - then pulled out at (almost literally) the last minute:
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/cycling/34385718

On the one hand I think it's good there's not another *uk Grand Départ so soon after Yorkshire (and only 10 years after the last one in London).

On the other hand this will make ASO very, very hesitant to award a Grand Départ to any other interested region in the UK for the foreseeable future.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8988
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    Matt Slater said it would be likely to take place in Germany instead - but the only city that was very vocal about it (Münster) has pulled out last week. Apparently Düsseldorf and Mannheim talked with Prudhomme as well, but there are basically no information available about a possible bid, so I think it's unlikely to happen anytime soon.
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3232
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    They could always start the Tour de France in... I don't know... France..?!
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 848
    So they couldn't get enough sponsor money or local government money? I would travel back to the UK to see a Grand Départ in Edinburgh, I hope that still happens some year.
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 293
    So they couldn't get enough sponsor money or local government money? I would travel back to the UK to see a Grand Départ in Edinburgh, I hope that still happens some year.

Yes I feel really sorry for Edinburgh and Manchester both would have been great, exceptional venues, beaten by London who then get cold feet. 

But I do agree with Lukas, although Tour in Yorkshire was a fantastic experience, it is too soon to give us another turn, just a shame that London's attitude might mean that return is now pushed back sometime in the twenties...
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10711
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    I think the ASO will keep clear of GB for a while now

Germany 2017 I assume
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    seems Dusseldorf will get the Grand Depart
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    A task force has just started to have a look into it, it will take another 3 to 4 weeks. And only then the city can evaluate IF they can cope with the demands to bid for it, and go through all the bureaucratic steps before doing so.

http://www.welt.de/regionales/nrw/article147050226/Duesseldorf-mit-guten-Chancen-fuer-Tour-Start-2017.html

Maybe Düseldorf will do it in the end, but this is impossible to say at this point. Personally I think it's unlikely, this is Germany, and if they just started to look into it 2 years in advance are not enough
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Maybe Düseldorf will do it in the end, but this is impossible to say at this point. Personally I think it's unlikely, this is Germany, and if they just started to look into it 2 years in advance are not enough
    I agree. That is very little time for a German city to explore the possibility of a Grand Départ in all details and prepare it well. Because we're not talking about putting in a bid now, but basically saying yes as soon as possible and then have ~20 months to prepare the whole thing.

Parcours-wise it's not a bad place though - prologue in Düsseldorf, first stage with start & finish in Düsseldorf, going through the Bergisches Land, second stage starting somewhere on the left bank of the Rhine and going through the Eifel to Trier/Saarbrücken/Luxembourg. Then to France from there.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    Düsseldorf will decide tomorrow

http://www.radsport-news.com/sport/sportnews_96075.htm

if opinions inside the parties do not change and CDU and FDP stick to their "no" to invest the money, it will not happen. So most likely it won't
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    here is the proposal the city council will decide about today (jn German)

http://www.sportstadt-duesseldorf.de/tour-de-france-2017/

and a possible parcours for the opening time trial along the bank of the Rhine

http://tracks4bikers.com/beta_tracks/show/236626

there (probably) will be a live stream from the session at 14:00 cet

https://www.duesseldorf.de/rat/live/index.shtml
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4776
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    http://www.rp-online.de/nrw/staedte/duesseldorf/duesseldorf-bewirbt-sich-um-tour-de-france-2017-aid-1.5539324

Photo finish, but yes wins.
    As narrow as possible though, 40-39, with the "yes" side only getting a majority because of the votes from the far-right Republikaner & AfD.

That won't be a firm ground to base a Tour application on ... but, like the mayor put it, "how petty can we be?" A Grand Départ would put Düsseldorf on the map internationally.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    after more than 15 years *it GS Emilia will bring back the Giro di Campania, on June 2nd 2017, under the name "Nuovo Giro della Campania – Trofeo Tufano - Cafarelli"

Casalecchio di Reno (Bologna), 13 giugno 2016

IL GRANDE CICLISMO TORNA AL SUD, NEL 2017 IL GS EMILIA ORGANIZZERA’ IL “NUOVO GIRO DELLA CAMPANIA – TROFEO TUFANO - CAFARELLI”

Mentre si avvicina la seconda parte della stagione che vedrà il Gruppo Sportivo Emilia impegnato nell’organizzazione di cinque appuntamenti (Mem. Pantani del 17 settembre, Giro dell’Emilia – Granarolo e Giro dell’Emilia Unipol Banca Int. donne del 24 settembre, GP Bruno Beghelli e GP Beghelli – Internazionale donne elite del 25 settembre), l’ente organizzatore bolognese sta già lavorando al 2017.
    Dopo una serie di contatti ed incontri, nei giorni scorsi il presidente del Gruppo Sportivo Emilia, Adriano Amici, ha siglato un accordo con i rappresentanti di un comitato locale di Casoria (Napoli), guidato dal presidente Luigi Muto e dall’ex professionista Pasquale Muto, per riproporre un grande evento ciclistico: il “Nuovo Giro della Campania – Trofeo Tufano - Cafarelli”.
    “Abbiamo accettato l’invito degli sportivi appassionati di Casoria con grande onore ed entusiasmo. La Campania storicamente è sempre stata una delle realtà ciclistiche più attive del panorama nazionale e, ormai da troppo tempo, attendeva un grande evento che ne caratterizzasse la territorialità. Con il nostro staff siamo già al lavoro per organizzare al meglio ogni dettaglio della gara che, come da richiesta inoltrata alla Lega Ciclismo Professionistico della FCI e all’UCI, si correrà il 2 giugno 2017.”
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2459
    under the name "Nuovo Giro della Campania – Trofeo Tufano - Cafarelli"

Catchy...
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE 2017 TOUR OF FLANDERS ROUTE: START IN ANTWERP - MUUR VAN GERAARDSBERGEN MAKES ITS COMEBACK

Antwerp will set the new stage for the next five years of the Tour of Flanders. What’s more is that cycling fans can prepare themselves for the Muur van Geraardsbergen’s comeback, included in the Tour’s route for the first time since 2011. It is likely that the battle will once again be settled on the Oude Kwaremont and the Paterberg, before the champion of ‘Flanders’ Finest’, just like last year, will be crowned in Oudenaarde.press release
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    2017 UCI WorldTour calendar

New events

-   29 January: Cadel Evans Great Ocean Road Race (Australia)
    -   6-10 February: Tour of Qatar (Qatar)
    -   23-26 February: Abu Dhabi Tour (United Arab Emirates)
    -   25 February: Omloop Het Nieuwsblad (Belgium)
    -   4 March: Strade Bianche (Italy)
    -   22 March: Dwars Door Vlaanderen / A travers la Flandre (Belgium)
    -   18-23 April: Presidential Cycling Tour of Turkey (Turkey)
    -   1 May: Eschborn-Frankfurt « Rund um den Finanzplatz » (Germany)
    -   14-21 May: Amgen Tour of California (United States)
    -   30 July: Prudential RideLondon-Surrey Classic (Great Britain)

Current UCI WorldTour events

-   17-22 January: Santos Tour Down Under (Australia)
    -   5-12 March: Paris-Nice (France)
    -   8-14 March: Tirreno-Adriatico (Italy)
    -   18 March: Milano-Sanremo (Italy)
    -   20-26 March: Volta Ciclista a Catalunya (Spain)
    -   24 March: Record Bank E3 Harelbeke (Belgium)
    -   26 March: Gent-Wevelgem in Flanders Fields (Belgium)
    - 2 April: Ronde van Vlaanderen / Tour des Flandres (Belgium)
    -   3-8 April: Vuelta al País Vasco (Spain)
    -   9 April: Paris-Roubaix (France)
    -   16 April: Amstel Gold Race (Netherlands)
    -   19 April: La Flèche Wallonne (Belgium)
    -   23 April: Liège-Bastogne-Liège (Belgium)
    -   25-30 April: Tour de Romandie (Switzerland)
    -   6-28 May: Giro d’Italia (Italy)
    -   4-11 June: Critérium du Dauphiné (France)
    -   10-18 June: Tour de Suisse (Switzerland)
    -   1-23 July: Tour de France (France)
    -   29 July: Clásica Ciclista San Sebastian (Spain)
    -   29 July-4 August: Tour de Pologne (Poland)
    -   7-13 August: Eneco Tour (Benelux)
    -   19 August-10 September: Vuelta a España (Spain)
    -   20 August: Cyclassics Hamburg (Germany)
    -   27 August: Bretagne Classic – Ouest-France (France)
    -   8 September: Grand Prix Cycliste de Québec (Canada)
    -   10 September: Grand Prix Cycliste de Montréal (Canada)
    -   30 September: Il Lombardia (Italy)
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    Turkey, interesting... I definitely didn't see that one coming, especially after the problems with getting a decent field together this year
  • ReplyReply

• Havetts

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1056
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016Doper Shoot Out 2013
    Turkey, interesting... I definitely didn't see that one coming, especially after the problems with getting a decent field together this year

Let alone after the failed coup.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    indeed and just after the coup d'état can not see that happening

all the calender cross overs still happen with a triple race

Poland ride London and San sebastian on the same weekend  ( HT Fus)
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    I don't think the UCI cares too much about political instability tbh
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    I just read that the new races must have at least 10 teams so not the full WT list
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    yeah, sure, that (or something like that, I couldn't remember the exact amount of teams) was announced a couple of weeks ago already

edit: that's what the UCI said in June at least, but apparently it's not so sure yet

http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/07/news/teams-organization-at-odds-with-uci-over-worldtour-reforms_416277
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    Bit of a strange expansion overall. Strade Bianchi is great, of course. Well-deserved promotion for a future monument. But the rest...

I don't really see the point of having 5 Rondes van Vlaanderen as WT races. DDV especially is a nice race, but in my opinion not WT worthy as it is essentially just another Ronde copy like Omloop and E3. If you do want more Belgian one-day WT races, make Brabantse Pijl one - the only interesting 'Ardennes' classic (I know, not technically Ardennes).

California is fine, even Qatar is OK for me as it has been quite a prominent race with a big line-up for a number of years now. But the Cadel Evans Ocean Race? Abu Dhabi? Eschborn-Frankfurt? Prudential RideLondon? Turkey? Are there any sporting reasons any of those should be WT races?
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 21:50 by Slow Rider, Reason: Brabant instead of Walloon Arrow - before more smartarses correct me »

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    Cadel Evans makes sense as a follow up to the TDU and has been ok 1st 2 years

Dwars was brilliant this year

• ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    If you do want more Belgian one-day WT races, make Walloon Arrow one - the only interesting 'Ardennes' classic (I know, not technically Ardennes).

Brabant, you mean?
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    Brabant, you mean?

Eh yes Brabant of course, sorry
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    indeed and just after the coup d'état can not see that happening
    Remember the Golan races? Held in 2011, put on the UCI calendar every year since then - but never actually raced.
    Promoting the Tour of Turkey to WT status while nobody really knows what Turkey will look like in April 2017 is just a small step from there.
    ;)

I don't really see the point of having 5 Rondes van Vlaanderen as WT races. DDV especially is a nice race, but in my opinion not WT worthy as it is essentially just another Ronde copy like Omloop and E3. If you do want more Belgian one-day WT races, make Walloon Arrow one - the only interesting 'Ardennes' classic (I know, not technically Ardennes).
    The Flèche Wallonne has been WT ever since 2005. You probably mean the Brabantse Pijl. :P

California is fine, even Qatar is OK for me as it has been quite a prominent race with a big line-up for a number of years now. But the Cadel Evans Ocean Race? Abu Dhabi? Eschborn-Frankfurt? Prudential RideLondon? Turkey? Are there any sporting reasons any of those should be WT races?
    Frankfurt and London build on 'growing markets'. CEGORR keeps the pros Down Under for some more time, why not. Abu Dhabi and, to some extent, Turkey can probably offer lots of convincing arguments to get WT status. :betting
    But you were asking for sporting reasons? No, none of those.

Frankfurt was part of the World Cup for one year and isn't that bad a race, actually. Sometimes decided between a small group, sometimes in a sprint.
    The UK should definitely have a one-day race at the highest level - but London isn't the place to hold it. Do it in Brighton or Yorkshire where you're not guaranteed a sprint!
  • ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

Latest Roadbooks