collapse

DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 1784
  • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
If Alonso Called You...
« on: September 29, 2015, 19:35 »
Time for a bit of a scenario question, the question of cause being if you received a call from somebody requesting your services in putting together a WT team of still free riders for next year, who would you go out and get, let's for the purpose of this game just use this list http://www.procyclingstats.com/statistics.php?statistic=contract_free_riders so what would your roster look like...
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7409
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Re: If Alonso Called You...
    « Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 19:56 »
    I assume that money is not an issue? It's just "pick who you want, and let them put their salary in a blank contract"?
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 4451
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2018KeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 20:15 »
    Greg Van Avermaet
    Daniel Moreno
    Diego Ulissi
    Primoz Roglic
    Davide Formolo
    Daniel Oss
    Silvan Dillier
    Mauro Finetto
    Simone Ponzi
    Ruben Plaza
    Alexey Lutsenko
    Nathan Haas
    Alexey Tsatevich
    Darwin Atapuma
    Victor de la Parte
    Amaël Moinard
    Youcef Reguigui
    Enrico Gasparotto
    José Mendes
    Kanstantsin Siutsou
    Nikolas Maes
    Omar Fraile
    David Arroyo
    Jacques Janse van Rensburg
    Igor Anton
    Valerio Agnoli
    Owain Doull
    Ivan Santaromita
    Alessandro De Marchi
    Carlos Betancur
    Toms Skujins
    Manuele Mori
    Marcus Burghardt
    Michael Schar
    Mads Wurtz
    Jelle Vanendert
    Davide Villella
    Gerald Ciolek
    Matteo Tosatto
    Nicola Ruffoni
    Jay Robert Thomson
    Marco Canola
    Tobias Ludvigsson
    Jesse Sergent
    Aidis Kruopis
    Nicolas Marini
    Liam Bertazzo
    Alberto Bettiol
    Alexandr Kolobnev
    Yoann Offredo
    Edward Beltran
    Yannick Martinez
    are riders I'd consider, but that's obviously way too much, so I'd narrow it down to: (28 riders + 2 neo pro)

Greg Van Avermaet
    Daniel Moreno
    Diego Ulissi
    Primoz Roglic
    Davide Formolo
    Daniel Oss
    Silvan Dillier
    Mauro Finetto
    Ruben Plaza
    Alexey Lutsenko
    Nathan Haas
    Darwin Atapuma
    Amaël Moinard
    Enrico Gasparotto
    Kanstantsin Siutsou
    Jacques Janse van Rensburg
    Valerio Agnoli
    Owain Doull
    Ivan Santaromita
    Alessandro De Marchi
    Toms Skujins
    Marcus Burghardt
    Mads Wurtz
    Matteo Tosatto
    Nicola Ruffoni
    Tobias Ludvigsson
    Jesse Sergent
    Aidis Kruopis
    Alexandr Kolobnev
    Yoann Offredo
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith
    RIP krebs

DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 21:05 »
    My team:

First nameLast nameNationalityAgeContractRole
    GregVan Avermaet *be 303One of the two guys on the list as of now that I think is just purely obvious, GVA gives you a rider to ride for in MSR,RVV,PR, Ouest France and the Canadian races as well as several other non-WT classics.
    DanielMoreno *es  342Just as a leader is needed in the early spring so is a leader in AGR,FW,LBL and the likes, also Moreno is a good bid at securing a top 10 in the Vuelta to end the season.
    LaurensTen Dam *nl 342Ten Dam is getting up there, but not a lot better riders out there in terms of GC in a GT out there, so an okay pickup that could in the future support a more ambitious leader, top 10 in the Tour with a possible upgrade to top 5 could be a goal.
    DavideFormolo *it 223Sort of a no brainer in trying to lock down a rider that appears to be destined to have a great career, in setting up the a brand new team he could easily be given room to try for GC in several races, and seeing how far he could take it in the Giro would be a good idea too imo.
    AlessandroDi Marchi *it 292A great fighter and as such with a team that might in large part have to go for the win in the breaks he seems like a good pick up.
    IvanSantaromita *it 312Santaromita can both support a leader in GT's or go for the win in smaller hilly races, he is a solid pickup too.
    YukiyaArashiro *jp 312A good mountain dom, and while he may not be as needed in the moment, there is still a need to give Formolo and Moreno a bit of support in the Giro and Vuelta respectively, also gives a good transitional piece to maybe signing a true GT rider for 2017 season.
    JackBauer *nz 302Huge huge engine, a great signing in my opinion can assist his team in so many ways.
    SeanDe Bie *be 232Young talent, and someone that seems to be able to maybe develop into something more, will be interesting to watch.
    AmauryCapiot *be 222The TSV rider looks like a decent bid for the future, how he is available not sure? but on the list so...
    KanstantsinSiutsou *by 332Sort of just too good a rider to leave out there a great all round dom, lack of a real leader might leave him with more opportunities to ride his own chance though.
    GatisSmukulis *lv 282Pretty good support rider to have for a sprinter, the sprinter, a bit harder to find, but I suppose it was always bound to be a work in progress.
    MaartenTjallingii *nl 371Just sort of a rider that seem to be able to do a lot of different things, making him a valuable piece despite his age.
    MatteoTosatto *it 411Great flat support, still. Maybe some value for GVA too.
    John DarwinAtapuma *co 271 One of three climbing talents on short deals to sort of figure out who to keep long term, and to make sure to have room for new riders in the future.
    IgorAnton *es 311Again like with Atapuma part of a plan to light up mountain stages in the hope of securing stage wins.
    DavidArroyo *es 351Same role as Anton/Atapuma.
    MartinMortensen *dk 302An all round toughie that can support his team well, or go on insane attacks.
    PrimožRoglič *si 252Why not give him a try, he seems to me like one that might have been overlooked and where there might be talent for more.
    SamOomen *nl 203Great year, he deserves the early move up.
    OwainDoull *uk 222Given the youngsters performance in the ToB it might make sense to snatch him up before some one else does.
    MadsWürtz *dk 212Looks like a guy that will be on the WT for 10+ year maybe
    Asbjørn KraghAndersen *dk 232Could offer some value on the cobbles or as part of a sprint train for Doull in the future.
    IoannisTamouridis *gr 351I liked him with Euskatel back in 2013, on a one year deal to see if I still like what I see.
    LeonardoDuque *co 351One of those guys I pick up to pluck a hole, long term likely to be gone, but can ride both cobbles and sprints.
    RobertoFerrari *it 321Every team needs a sprinter, this one will have Roberto, at least for one year.
    RafaâChtioui *tn 291A second chance, why not, the roster needs some filling out anyway.
    OmarFraile *es 251Bit of a wild card to be retained, but already a pro means the one year deal gives room for next year over signing a neo-pro.
    TsgabuGrmay *et 241Valuable on the flat, again a one year deal to keep a spot open for 2017.
    MarcoCanola *it 261Lets give him a chance to earn a longer deal. 

Part of what I tried to do was to make space for a run at bigger stars in 2017 to build a real WT team for Alonso.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 23:56 by DB-Coop »

DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 21:09 »
    I assume that money is not an issue? It's just "pick who you want, and let them put their salary in a blank contract"?

Yes indeed, and with whoever is left, money would not be an issue, if you want, maybe think it into the contract length, ie. maybe you sign a couple of high priced mid levelers short term, to move that money in the direction of, say Nibali, come 2017.
  • ReplyReply

• pastronef

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 656
    « Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 21:33 »
    Kolobnev

well said Flo  :cool

I always liked him
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7409
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 21:46 »
    Right, here's my list of 30 riders (from a shortlist of 79).
    Looking at the "big" names available, it'll be an Italian team with a distinct BeNeLux flavour and a Colombian section thrown in.

Nat. Name Age Contract Role
    *be Greg van Avermaet 30 3 Leader for the classics
    *si Grega Bole 30 1 The best sprinter we could find on the list
    *si Primož Roglič 26 2 Climbing talent
    *it Davide Formolo 23 3 Climbing talent, will be built up gradually
    *it Daniel Oss 28 2 Valuable domestique/co-leader for one-day races
    *be Sean de Bie 24 2 Classics talent
    *it Andrea Pasqualon 27 2 Good Italian 1
    *co Darwin Atapuma 27 2 Climber, will be Betancur's lieutenant (and plan B if Betancur doesn't deliver)
    *by Kanstantsin Siutsou 33 1 Climbing domestique
    *be Nikolas Maes 29 2 Classics domestique
    *it Ivan Santaromita 31 1 Good Italian 2
    *it Alessandro de Marchi 29 2 Good Italian 3
    *it Matteo Busato 28 2 Good Italian 4
    *co Carlos Betancur 26 1 Leader in a GT and hilly classics; gets another chance to show what he can do (but also a dietician assigned)
    *it Antonino Parrinello 27 2 Good Italian 5
    *de Marcus Burghardt 32 3 Road captain; Greg van Avermaet's lieutenant
    *si Kristjan Koren 29 2 Domestique
    *nl Sam Oomen 20 2 Neo-pro
    *it Matteo Tosatto 41 1 Road captain; will get a contract for as long as he wants, and become DS afterwards
    *by Branislau Samoilau 30 1 Domestique
    *dk Asbjørn Kragh Andersen 23 2 Neo-pro
    *co José Serpa 36 1 GT super-domestique; will get a contract for as long as he wants
    *it Alan Marangoni 31 1 Domestique
    *nl Rick Flens 32 1 Domestique
    *se Michael Olsson 29 1 I'm not going to start a pro team and not give him a contract; gets a 1-year deal to see what he can do
    *si Jure Kocjan 31 1 Decent (not great) sprinter, gets a 1-year deal to see what he can do
    *na Dan Craven 32 1 I'm not going to start a pro team and not give him a contract
    *nl Tom Stamsnijder 30 2 Classics domestique
    *es Jordi Simón 25 2 Climbing talent
    *it Eros Capecchi 29 2 GT domestique

Nationalities:
    *it 10
    *si 4
    *be 3
    *co 3
    *nl 3
    *by 2
    *de 1
    *dk 1
    *se 1
    *na 1
    *es 1
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 22:25 by LukasCPH »

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 7772
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 22:17 »
    I'd demand to be paid in advance and I would tell Alonso he's only going to get a PCT squad - mainly Spanish/South American with a minimal number of old farts.

*es

Daniel Moreno*
    Ángel Madrazo
    Delio Fernandez*
    Javier Mejias
    Eduard Prades
    Marcos Garcia
    Garikoitz Bravo
    Jordi Simon
    Jaime Roson (Fernandez/Torres understudy)

*co

Rodolfo Andres Torres*
    Daniel Alexander Jaramillo (Moreno understudy)

*cr

Josue Gonzalez (too risky to pick Rojas)

*cl

Jose Luis Rodriguez

*mx

Flavio De Luna

*ca

Guillaume Boivin
    Antoine Duchesne

*top dogs

I refuse to have Sanz as my sprinter, so that's why we had to break away from the Spanish speaking world and into Canada.

Got quite a few good uphill/reduced grp sprinters, so hopefully wins/podiums/top-5s/jerseys wouldn't be too light on the ground. Naturally we wouldn't be seeking cobbles invites, but Tony could give it a go if we did end up having to racing one.
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 23:58 »
    Finished my post above^^^^^
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts