collapse

hiero

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 890
The Chris Froome thread
« on: October 19, 2015, 23:53 »
We have a thread for why we don't like Froome.
http://velorooms.com/index.php?topic=2583.msg102975#msg102975

We have a dark side thread for Froome.
http://velorooms.com/index.php?topic=1314.msg59781#msg59781

But I do not see a general Chris Froome thread![1] 

Now, I have to say, I am an anti-fan of Froome. I could have just posted this in the "Why I don't like" - but it doesn't really belong there. And, even if I don't like him - and I will say it again - I don't like him - he does deserve a general thread by now.

Unless he EVER gets caught by the Dark Side. Then he will deserve a special place in . . . <<cough, cough>>.

Chris Froome. In the news as "No more Mr. Nice Guy."
http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/10/news/chris-froome-no-more-mr-nice-guy_387944

But, huh? Did I sleep through something? I know some people actually cheer FOR Froome, but I sure missed the times he was a nice guy. I think it was his antics in front of Wiggins that started him off on the wrong foot in my book.

Anyway, fanboyz, take over. Nowz yur chance to say nice things about yur hero. I'm goin' back to my bad cat memes.
 1. But, plz, dear mods, if I somehow missed a general Froome thread, please just move the post? TIA!
  • ReplyReply
  • Eeyore sez . . .

DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1739
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    Re: The Chris Froome thread
    « Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 00:54 »
    Chris Froome. In the news as "No more Mr. Nice Guy."

Not sure what that means, is he going to urinate back at the spectators?

In all seriousness I reckon this is just a bit of hot air to stay relevant in the off season.
  • ReplyReply

• stereojet

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 298
    • I'm still learning the ropes
    « Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 10:11 »
    Maybe he's proposing to turn into the Hulk and start smashing things if he doesn't get his way? Could be interesting if the rest of his body bulks up like his thighs.
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    « Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 21:01 »
    It's comforting to see so much Froome-love in here. ;)  I'm sure yur right - it is hot air to fill space. It hooked me tho. Had to read it to find out anything about Froome being a nice guy! 
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3507
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 15:09 »
     :lol :lol :lol :lol
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    « Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 00:00 »
    Did anybody ever think Froome was an intelligent person? I seem to recall a lot of comparisons to the general IQ level of a rock, not a glasses-wearing nerd. But I was listening to a podcast interview of Froome after Stage 6 of the Dauphine - and he actually sounds like there might be more upstairs than I previously thought.

Speaking of a rock, isn't that how Froome used to descend? Lordy, he must have taken some lessons. He was good last year, as I recall, and this Dauphine should give him a rep for downhill.

I am interested in others' opinion of his general intelligence though. Has he been smarter than he seems all along, or has he just learned how to give good interviews?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6242
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 19:09 »
    I am interested in others' opinion of his general intelligence though. Has he been smarter than he seems all along, or has he just learned how to give good interviews?
    It's not a topic I've given much thought so far[1], but I think he's not stupid. He's always had a bit of a nerdy air around himself in my opinion. He's also rather shy, and that made earlier interviews awkward. Over time, he's learned to handle himself better.
     1. pun very much intended
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

hiero

• Road Captain
    « Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 15:32 »
    It's not a topic I've given much thought so far[1], but I think he's not stupid. He's always had a bit of a nerdy air around himself in my opinion. He's also rather shy, and that made earlier interviews awkward. Over time, he's learned to handle himself better.
     1. pun very much intended

Yeah, I could see that. I haven't gone back to look at old interviews, but your description  rather fits with what I was taking to be an indication of less mental capacity. I could see it being a shy nerdiness that just left him with awkward answers.

I don't think I've seen any other riders who have grown (matured) and changed as much as Froome has. Both in public persona, and riding style.
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1121
    « Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 17:22 »
    I don't know where him not being able to descend came from. His background was MTB so I'd guess it was more of a strength than say for Wiggins or Thomas who came from track. Maybe because he looks so awkward on a bike rather than sketchy downhilling?
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1555
    « Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 23:26 »
    Yeah, I could see that. I haven't gone back to look at old interviews, but your description  rather fits with what I was taking to be an indication of less mental capacity. I could see it being a shy nerdiness that just left him with awkward answers.

I don't think I've seen any other riders who have grown (matured) and changed as much as Froome has. Both in public persona, and riding style.

I usually find it hard to judge people based on interviews with sports journalists and that is more or less all the indirect information I can get about Froome. He has never ever said a word to me. :) Then there are tons of people that say a lot about him and how he is and that may be more or less justified than me saying how I think he is. I am as influenced by what they are saying as I am by Froomes statements in interviews and the way he acts on the road.

I have noticed that he is remarkably soft-spoken, even when facing harsh and sometimes downright hateful criticisms, he mostly tries to respond in a calm and on-topic way, sometimes with a stroke of self-irony. I don't know if his PR people have teached him to answer like that but he is at least not lowering himself down to the level that some of the more hateful critics are operating on. I could easily see someone else blowing up after 10001 remarks about how poor his style is when riding the bike....from people that might have won a regional or municipal championship for the sub-15 age group, or worse, people like me, who haven't even done that! Beyond doubt we're the most qualified to tell a TdF winner how to ride a bike. To a very large degree, Chris Froome must be able to control his temper.

Second thing I have noticed is that if one year everybody is writing there is something he can't do - next year he's back significantly better at just that. This year, it's the descents. For 2015 it was cobbles. Next year, I think he'll be back with a credible effort at winning the Giro d'Italia in glacial cold conditions - or (heaven forbid) a one day race, let alone a monument. Like several other top athletes he seems to take motivation from what's supposedly impossible and outside his capacities. Edvald Boasson Hagen has the same relation to Paris-Roubaix: working hard to prove that he can do someothing they said he couldn't do.

As for intelligence, I don't really know anything about it, save that it seems to work good enough for biike racing victories.

I still can't say if that

• ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    « Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 00:51 »
    . . . Beyond doubt we're the most qualified to tell a TdF winner how to ride a bike  . . .

Oyh. THAT is dead-on and stinging!  :lol

. . . To a very large degree, Chris Froome must be able to control his temper. . . .

Ha, You've got that right, and I have to admit that, in spite of wishing I could dismiss him altogether.

. . .Second thing I have noticed is that if one year everybody is writing there is something he can't do - next year he's back significantly better at just that.  . . .
    Ok, thanks. Its not just me, then, seeing something that isn't there.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3507
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #11 on: June 13, 2017, 01:42 »
    I don't know where him not being able to descend came from. His background was MTB so I'd guess it was more of a strength than say for Wiggins or Thomas who came from track. Maybe because he looks so awkward on a bike rather than sketchy downhilling?

perhaps it came from his distinct lack of bike handling skills.

Whatever the case, he certainly has made a determined effort to improve and it has paid off.  And while I dont think I will ever actually like him much, I certainly have a lot more respect for him this last year or two. 
  • ReplyReply

• stereojet

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 298
    • I'm still learning the ropes
    « Reply #12 on: June 13, 2017, 08:17 »
    That interview with Kimmage where Froome's wife seemed to answer most of the tough questions for him was a bit of a car crash
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    « Reply #13 on: June 13, 2017, 15:38 »
    That interview with Kimmage where Froome's wife seemed to answer most of the tough questions for him was a bit of a car crash
    Oh, ya, oh ya!
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• Domestique
    • Liked: 736
    « Reply #14 on: June 16, 2017, 23:39 »
    I've finally watched the last stage of the Dauphine and didn't see much of the rest of the race but to me Froome looked very laboured. He was riding a bigger gear on the climbs than he usually does at the tour which might mean something or it might mean he was doing some sort of training rides at the Dauphine. Whatever happens I think the Tour will be much Closer than we're expecting with lots more riders in the mix I hope
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    « Reply #15 on: June 17, 2017, 03:21 »
    I've finally watched the last stage of the Dauphine and didn't see much of the rest of the race but to me Froome looked very laboured. He was riding a bigger gear on the climbs than he usually does at the tour which might mean something or it might mean he was doing some sort of training rides at the Dauphine. Whatever happens I think the Tour will be much Closer than we're expecting with lots more riders in the mix I hope

He seemed a bit "off" the entire race. Either that, or others were a lot stronger than they normally are. He did his normal high cadence for most of the climbs tho.

I agree that we will likely see a stronger Froome at the Tour. That's where the money is, and you always follow the money, right?
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Team Sponsorship 17/18 by LukasCPH
    [December 11, 2017, 22:22]

Re: Team Sponsorship 17/18 by Armchair Cyclist
    [December 11, 2017, 21:52]

Re: Team Sponsorship 17/18 by LukasCPH
    [December 11, 2017, 14:10]

Re: Men's Kits 2018 by jimmythecuckoo
    [December 11, 2017, 14:08]

Re: Men's Kits 2018 by LukasCPH