collapse

Not My Circus

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1320
  • Something about Danish cycling I love
Re: Men's Transfers 16-17
« Reply #690 on: October 10, 2016, 09:17 »
according to today's l'Equipe his new team is Wanty :)

--> #wanty Wanty-Groupe Gobert

http://www.cyclingpro.net/velopro/velopro/road/yoann-offredo-vers-wanty-groupe-gobert

#rainbow Yoann Offredo THAT IS ALL \o/

• ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1147
    « Reply #691 on: October 10, 2016, 09:19 »
    Hofland changes Lotto team NL to BE for 2 years.

Funny, I remember Tosh Van der Sande saing he didn't mind sharing his sprint chances with Greipel, Debusschere and Roelandts because anway they each have their races but now they will have to share the food with an additional fast guy.

• ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5856
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #692 on: October 10, 2016, 11:25 »
    More #aquablue Aqua Blue signings:
    http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/irish-pro-team-aqua-blue-sport-names-another-seven-new-riders/

#iam Stefan Denifl
    #iam Leigh Howard
    #roompot Michel Kreder
    #drapac Peter Koning
    #anpost Aaron Gate
    #anpost Calvin Watson
    #stolting Lasse Norman Hansen

I guess Denifl is the "strong climber" they were talking about ... :-x
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    « Reply #693 on: October 10, 2016, 11:45 »
    Hofland changes Lotto team NL to BE for 2 years.

I was confused by this one....
  • ReplyReply

• Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    « Reply #694 on: October 10, 2016, 11:46 »
    #iam Stefan Denifl
    #iam Leigh Howard
    #roompot Michel Kreder
    #drapac Peter Koning
    #anpost Aaron Gate
    #anpost Calvin Watson
    #stolting Lasse Norman Hansen

Good to see the IAM cats there... and hey hey *first* of the Danes ;p
  • ReplyReply

• ciranda

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 146
    « Reply #695 on: October 10, 2016, 11:48 »
    That is an incredibly uninteresting group. Sorry for the negativity. Lasse Norman is the most boring danish rider but it's almost like he is the least uninteresting on that list. Always surprised that total no-name Australians can always get contracts. Do these guys have genius agents, are they financed by the federation? In this case why not sign talented Irish cyclists instead? Top two signs your team is super mediocre and will be happy with top tens in Circuit de la Sarthe sprint stages:

1. signing some KREDER
    2. numerous Australians straight out of Asian races
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 14:14 by ciranda, Reason: spelling »

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9062
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #696 on: October 10, 2016, 12:16 »
    well, to be fair, Aaron Gate has won a couple of stages of the Rás, so that's as much of an Irish connection as you can get, and Howard is probably one of the best sprinters on the market.
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10760
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #697 on: October 10, 2016, 12:24 »
    Gavazzi re-ups with #androni
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #698 on: October 10, 2016, 14:47 »
    #riwal have invited to a press conference on Friday where they'll present a "Tour rider".

Chris Anker?! :o
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #699 on: October 10, 2016, 15:13 »
    which "Tour"? :P

...but yes, should be CAS then. It's a bit of a surprise as he said that he had plenty of offers, including WT teams - but there are no other former Danish Tour (de France) riders available on the market, unless Anders Lund oder Brian Vandborg plan to do a comeback.

edit: Although Riwal also had some Swedish riders in the past, so theoretically it could also be Gustav Erik Larsson
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #700 on: October 10, 2016, 16:40 »
    Although Riwal also had some Swedish riders in the past, so theoretically it could also be Gustav Erik Larsson
    That's four years ago though, and I think that was connected to some sponsorship by some company that's not involved with the team anymore, so very unlikely to happen.
  • ReplyReply

• ciranda

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #701 on: October 10, 2016, 17:53 »
    Wow terrible. It doesn't make sense though because Chris don't have chances in danish races. It could be Brean maybe from Fortuneo? or it could be a director. Allan Johansen seemed to do good work as a ds a couple years ago and he did ride TDF once.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #702 on: October 10, 2016, 18:03 »
    Wow terrible. It doesn't make sense though because Chris don't have chances in danish races. It could be Brean maybe from Fortuneo? or it could be a director. Allan Johansen seemed to do good work as a ds a couple years ago and he did ride TDF once.
    I don't see any reason why a Danish Conti team should sign an average Norwegian.
    Allan J could be a possibility - but is "Tour rider" the first thing that comes to your mind when thinking of him? I'd say "classics rider" or "multiple Danish champion" describe him much better. And he used to work for #trefor; getting on board with #riwal now (who also already have Blaudzun, René J and Ranneries!) would strike me as ... odd.

First and foremost, reading the press release, I think it's about an active rider, not a staff member.

You're right that Danish races are about as unsuited to Chris Anker as possible - but maybe the team wants to branch out and do a bigger international program.
  • ReplyReply

• ciranda

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #703 on: October 10, 2016, 18:39 »
    Well if true Chris' career is over. There's no way back to real cycling from RIWAL.

What is strange is there is nothing to gain for the team after this much hyped press conference aka unauthorized christmas evening is over. I think Chris can still be competitive when he has good condition like he showed in some races in Southern France in the spring but he can't get results in the races Riwal can go to. So it would be a signing that is all about publicity.

:(
  • ReplyReply

• zinoviev letter

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 148
    « Reply #704 on: October 10, 2016, 19:58 »
    That is an incredibly uninteresting group. Sorry for the negativity. Lasse Norman is the most boring danish rider but it's almost like he is the least uninteresting on that list. Always surprised that total no-name Australians can always get contracts. Do these guys have genius agents, are they financed by the federation? In this case why not sign talented Irish cyclists instead? Top two signs your team is super mediocre and will be happy with top tens in Circuit de la Sarthe sprint stages:

1. signing some KREDER
    2. numerous Australians straight out of Asian races

It's not a hugely inspiring list of riders, but I don't really expect that from Pro Continental teams. Particularly when it comes to filling out the roster.

The most important signing on that list is Howard. Howard's not a top level sprinter, but he's a decent one. And someone who can actually win some of the very many smaller races without strong sprint fields that they will likely find themselves in. They need a sprinter and Howard is one of the best available right now.

Of the others, the most notable thing is that every one of them except Aaron Gate has WT or PCT experience, most of them WT. With 11 of 16 riders now announced, only two of them are new pros. So it's pretty clear that they are looking for a relatively high minimum level. Everyone signed will be at the very least a competent PCT level rider. Gate, the one new pro in this batch, was primarily a (pretty successful) trackie up until Rio but still won a few .2s riding part seasons with An Post and will definitely have the requisite level.

There are no Australians straight from races in Asia included. The two Australians are Howard, a WT rider, and Calvin Watson. Watson was on Trek for two years, joining at 19 or 20. A lot was expected of him, but he wasn't ready for the WT. Instead of somehow getting a new pro contract because of his agent's ninja skills or his federation's backing, he spent last season with An Post. There is a Dutch rider who is moving from an Australian team, Koning, and he at least raced in Asia enough to win a stage of the Tour of Iran but he also won a stage of San Luis and a race in Holland this year, so it's not as if he has been spending his time beating up the locals in the Tour of Bhutan.

As for just signing "talented Irish riders", well the problem with that admirable idea is finding such riders. In 2016, Ireland had five WT riders and two PCT riders. One of the PCT riders is with Novo Nordisk, so slightly different expectations apply. Five of the other six pros are under contract for next season (and some of them way beyond a PCT team anyway). They did sign the only one available, Brammeier. At Continental level there are now quite a lot of Irish riders, almost certainly the most there's ever been. But they mostly fall into two categories - riders who simply don't have more than a CT level at this point, or very young and/or inexperienced riders.

The most obviously talented Irish rider who hasn't yet moved up from the Continental ranks is Eddie Dunbar. According to an interview with Rick Delaney in an Irish paper today, they did indeed try to sign him but couldn't, presumably because Dunbar either had a better offer or (wisely) thought that Axeon is an excellent place to continue developing. They hope to sign him next season, but again that's far from certain and he may have better offers. The next most obviously talented rider in that position was Connor Dunne, who they have signed. The next is probably Michael O'Loughlin who is 19 and only riding his first season at CT level. Perhaps the guy who is seen as the next most likely to make it as a pro is Mark Downey, who is 20 and riding with a French amateur team.

I'm sure I'm forgetting riders, that some of the many inexperienced riders will improve and that some of the older Continental riders have more potential than I'm implying. I don't mean to be dismissive of guys who are (a) much better cyclists than I could ever dream of being and (b) living a very tough life in pursuit of a pro contract. But broadly speaking if they were to fill these slots in their roster with available Irish riders, the level would be noticeably lower. As in we'd be talking about An Post's level. As it is, the reason they are taking Gate and Watson from An Post ahead of their half dozen Irish riders is that they are currently stronger than Irish riders who either haven't made much of an impact at Continental level or are just starting out at that level.

There are arguments that they should do that anyway, fill the roster with Irish kids and CT level guys and take more of a development team focus. But if they do that, they would have to accept that standards would be lower than with the sort of riders they announced today.

I'll wait until I see the last five names in their squad before I judge this batch, because how good they are as signings depends on where they fit into the squad as a whole and what their expected role is.
  • ReplyReply

• zinoviev letter

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #705 on: October 10, 2016, 20:38 »
    Well if true Chris' career is over. There's no way back to real cycling from RIWAL.

What is strange is there is nothing to gain for the team after this much hyped press conference aka unauthorized christmas evening is over. I think Chris can still be competitive when he has good condition like he showed in some races in Southern France in the spring but he can't get results in the races Riwal can go to. So it would be a signing that is all about publicity.

:(

He seems a bit young to be giving up on pro level cycling. But maybe he's tired and wants to move back to Denmark and start preparing for life after cycling?

You are right that Riwal's usual calendar wouldn't give him a chance to show anything much.
  • ReplyReply

• ciranda

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #706 on: October 10, 2016, 21:07 »
    zl; your views are very balanced and constructive. Without knowledge of finances I think simply they could have done a lot better. These riders might have experience from races but I don't see much potential when I look at filed results. Maybe Koning who has a couple solo victories from breaks. Yes I thought he was Australian also. Norman has so far been very limited as a road cyclist. Denifl is someone who goes well uphill so there is potential there for more I suppose. Kreder and Howard have been around a long time and are always average. Considering their results so far and age Gate and Watson are the ones I especially don't understand, seems there must be some Irish cyclists that promise more or the same. To race against better competition in harder races is important also as a way to get better. I know that was what I felt about a lot of the riders Cult Energy signed two years ago; they could have picked danish riders with the same or higher level as some of the ones they signed. Who could then adapt and improve.

But right, budget issues + it's maybe also better to start with less expectation and instead aim to form a cohesive group. At the same time each year cyclists with legitimately great results in u23 races struggle to be competitive in real professional races. And these are guys who mostly don't have results against real competition. So I think my initial reaction is justified although it was too disrespectful.
  • ReplyReply

• zinoviev letter

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #707 on: October 10, 2016, 22:27 »
    The thing about Gates and Watson is that they are two riders that the team management will be easily able to assess against the level of potential Irish signings because they are an An Post where the biggest concentration of Irish CT riders are.

I'm not really sure about Watson's level and don't know too much about him except that he was a highly regarded prospect a couple of years ago and then things didn't work out at all at Trek. Maybe he deserves a second chance, maybe he doesn't, we will see. Gate though I know enough about to think that he is a guy who very much deserves a shot at a pro contract. He is a very good track rider (former World Champion in the omnium, Olympic Bronze in the team pursuit) and right up through this season the road has been just a part time thing. Despite only riding part of the season on the road, he has been a level above any of his Irish teammates on An Post except for Sam Bennett and Connor Dunne (both also pros now). He's now 25 and as I understand it making the road his focus for the first time, so he should have more room to improve than a similar rider who has been focused on the road all along. Also, as a pursuiter and someone who has won a few brunch sprints in .2s, he could be a very useful sprint support rider for Howard or someone who would be favoured to win a sprint in a breakaway.

Howard himself is difficult to assess fairly. You are right that he seems to have been around for a long time, but he's actually only 26. He got a couple of decent wins this year. He is one of my least favourite types of rider, the third tier sprinter, but to be blunt a sprinter is very nearly a necessity for an ambitious PCT team and I don't see that there were many better ones available. It seems to me that he's the kind of rider who can do a good job with the sort of calendar they are likely to ride, which will involve lots of races with weak sprint fields contesting sprints (about half of the French season seems to be this kind of race).

As a more general point, I don't know if they've got the balance right with Irish riders versus non Irish riders of a little higher level. I can see their reasoning, but I'm by no means certain that I agree with it. I do think though that when making the comparison with Cult a couple of years ago, we should take into account that there is a somewhat deeper pool of aspirant pros to pick from in Denmark despite the countries being of a similar size.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #708 on: October 10, 2016, 22:36 »
    It seems to me that he's the kind of rider who can do a good job with the sort of calendar they are likely to ride, which will involve lots of races with weak sprint fields contesting sprints (about half of the French season seems to be this kind of race).
    There's a reason we call those races SSFRs - "sh*t small French races". :D
  • ReplyReply

• zinoviev letter

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #709 on: October 10, 2016, 22:51 »
    There's a reason we call those races SSFRs - "sh*t small French races". :D

Yes, exactly: The explanation for how Bryan Coquard finishes the season with thirteen wins, none in WT races and none outside of France. And they are worth about an extra half dozen wins a season to Bouhanni and Demare, despite them riding a better calendar. All of these races with one sprinter clubbing random non-sprinters.

I reckon Howard could do very well at those races.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #710 on: October 10, 2016, 23:06 »
    well, Coquard is a top sprinter at least, with a handful of top 3's in the Tour de France over the past two years. I think Aqua Blue should better focus on those won by Samuel Dumoulin (who took four 1.1 races this year) et al :D
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #711 on: October 11, 2016, 13:50 »
    Roy Jans signs for Wallonie-Bruxelles
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #712 on: October 11, 2016, 14:27 »
    Three neo-pros for Lotto Soudal:
    http://lottosoudal.be/neopros2017/?lang=en

Enzo Wouters & James Callum Shaw from U23 #lotto plus Rémy Mertz from #colorcode
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #713 on: October 11, 2016, 14:32 »
    Durbridge stays at #greenedge for 2 more years
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #714 on: October 11, 2016, 16:28 »
    http://www.cyclingpro.net/velopro/road/fortuneo-prolonge-arnaud-gerard-pas-chris-anker-sorensen

#fortuneo re-sign Arnaud Gérard, but not Chris Anker.
    EkstraBladet is reporting that he's signed with #riwal - like I said yesterday. ;)
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #716 on: October 12, 2016, 09:05 »
    Ben O´Conner joins #dimension from  #avanti and another rider from Avanti is going WT such a good Devo team

Ryan Gibbons also signed with #dimension

https://twitter.com/ridemediaHQ/status/786113353571786754
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #717 on: October 12, 2016, 09:19 »
    Ion Izagirre #movistar -----> #bahrain confirmed
  • ReplyReply

• Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    « Reply #718 on: October 12, 2016, 10:07 »
    Ion Izagirre #movistar -----> #bahrain confirmed

I'm just curious...what does it take to 'break a contract'?  I'm assuming it's just a case of paying money.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #719 on: October 12, 2016, 10:11 »
    I'm just curious...what does it take to 'break a contract'?  I'm assuming it's just a case of paying money.

and both agreeing to it basically

Movistar are tightening their belts this year, money is tight
  • ReplyReply

•