With Tom D

:P
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3573
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    I'm curious about something.

Johan Bruyneel has been doing a now-succesful podcast that featured stage-by-stage analysis of the Giro and the Tour. After repeated requests, he will also be doing one in Spanish, beginning with this year's Vuelta (in addition to the English version).

He has promised to be joined by a "very special guest host," but has not yet announced who that might be.

Wouldn't Alberto fit the role perfectly? Unless it would create too much controversy, and maybe jeopardize his current role on Eurosport?

I'm just wondering if there have been any rumblings about this elsewhere.

The one thing that gives me pause is that Johan's podcast falls under the Armstrong banner, and Lance still holds nothing but contempt for Contador, so I have a very difficult time believing that he'd green light this. But it would be very, very interesting, and I believe that Bruyneel and Contador have a good relationship these days.

Thoughts?

• ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1078
    I'm curious about something.

Johan Bruyneel has been doing a now-succesful podcast that featured stage-by-stage analysis of the Giro and the Tour. After repeated requests, he will also be doing one in Spanish, beginning with this year's Vuelta (in addition to the English version).

He has promised to be joined by a "very special guest host," but has not yet announced who that might be.

Wouldn't Alberto fit the role perfectly? Unless it would create too much controversy, and maybe jeopardize his current role on Eurosport?

I'm just wondering if there have been any rumblings about this elsewhere.

The one thing that gives me pause is that Johan's podcast falls under the Armstrong banner, and Lance still holds nothing but contempt for Contador, so I have a very difficult time believing that he'd green light this. But it would be very, very interesting, and I believe that Bruyneel and Contador have a good relationship these days.

Thoughts?

Given his time as a rider at ONCE could it possibly be Manolo Saiz
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    Given his time as a rider at ONCE could it possibly be Manolo Saiz

I hadn't. Even. Considered that.

Very interesting possibility.

(Sorry for the off-topic, Flo.  :-x)
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 4512
    • Awards: 2019 Worlds prediction champ2019 Giro prediction champNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2018KeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    FWIW I don't think Bruyneel and Berto are on bad terms, but I don't think they ever speak to each other anymore even though they both live in/near Madrid.
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith
    RIP krebs

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    Johan on his podcast today.

https://wedu.team/themove/2019-vuelta-a-espana-stage-9

Johan and JB break down a short, fast mountain stage and can only speculate what happened in the gravel section to Miguel Angel Lopez. At the beginning of the Vuelta, Johan told us all to watch and remember the name Tadej Pogacar. He proved he is the real deal today against the best climbers in the world.

Also, Johan addresses a team controversy similar to what Movistar is facing now and sets the record straight after hearing comments on Spanish television from Alberto Contador on the subject

@31:15, he spends a good, solid 15 minutes countering Contador's claims, and offering his own version of events.

Interestingly enough, at the end of that segment, he offers to have Alberto on the Spanish version of his podcast (which is co-hosted by Victor Hugo Peña) so that they could debate/discuss the events of that fateful day.

The only thing I'm confused about is that they are discussing something that happened in Andorra in the 2009 Tour (which would've been either Stage 7 or Stage 8?), but the incident that most people are familiar with is from Stage 15 in Switzerland. Which, by the way, is still one of my all-time favorite clips.
     :cool

Then there was this classic one (below) where Johan is very unhappy with Alberto. (Curious that he vents in French).

Frankie's comments at the end pretty much sum things up though.

But again, the details are at odds with what is said in the podcast. Johan says that he didn't want to take the Yellow Jersey yet, but in the above clip Contador is already wearing it. So I must be missing something in the timeline of events.

Flo, I trust you can set the record straight?  :P
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: 2019 Worlds prediction champ2019 Giro prediction champNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2018KeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    Johan on his podcast today.

https://wedu.team/themove/2019-vuelta-a-espana-stage-9

@31:15, he spends a good, solid 15 minutes countering Contador's claims, and offering his own version of events.

Interestingly enough, at the end of that segment, he offers to have Alberto on the Spanish version of his podcast (which is co-hosted by Victor Hugo Peña) so that they could debate/discuss the events of that fateful day.

The only thing I'm confused about is that they are discussing something that happened in Andorra in the 2009 Tour (which would've been either Stage 7 or Stage 8?), but the incident that most people are familiar with is from Stage 15 in Switzerland. Which, by the way, is still one of my all-time favorite clips.
     :cool

Then there was this classic one (below) where Johan is very unhappy with Alberto. (Curious that he vents in French).

Frankie's comments at the end pretty much sum things up though.

But again, the details are at odds with what is said in the podcast. Johan says that he didn't want to take the Yellow Jersey yet, but in the above clip Contador is already wearing it. So I must be missing something in the timeline of events.

Flo, I trust you can set the record straight?  :P
    What is important to remember is that before the Andorra stage, Lance was a few hundreds of a second away from yellow, thanks to the echelon stage. Alberto smashed Lance in the opening time trial, but Alberto was left to fight the wind on his own a couple days later. Lance came so close to taking yellow in the TTT, but Cancellara just managed to keep it.
    Lance was 19 seconds ahead before Andorra. If Lance had taken yellow after the TTT, or on the Andorra stage, the race would have looked much different for Alberto. While he was of course not going to be happy to defend Lance's jersey while he was the stronger rider, it wouldn't have looked good to attack his own teammate in yellow. Of course in the end the end result would have likely been the same, Alberto and also Andy were just miles ahead in terms of climbing. But you can bet that the team's idea was to put Lance in yellow on the Andorra stage.
    That's why there was so much controversy about his move afterwards. Lance openly stated that Alberto had ignored the team's orders. Before the Verbier, Alberto was ahead of Lance on the GC and had showed he was the better climber. So there wasn't as much controversy about that stage, but it was a nice way of putting Lance in his place :P 
    Then that stage where Johan lost it, is the one were Alberto, Klöden and the Schlecks had escaped. Alberto attacked which caused Klöden to crack and lose his podium to Fränk. Lance had big things to say about it, but remember that if that hadn't happened, Klöden would have likely been the 2nd Astana on the podium and not Lance.

I saw a Belgian TV show with amongst others Johan and DS Dirk Demol a couple months ago. They also spoke about the subject. Johan was quite adamant that he and Lance hadn't really done anything wrong that race. Demol said that the Spanish media and some Spanish staff had a big impact on the way Alberto viewed events (The Big Spanish Conspiracy ?) and that he spent many evenings in discussion with Alberto trying to diffuse the situation. I have to wonder though, that would mean all the reports of Lance's bullying were false?

I don't think there is a 'right' or 'wrong' here. I suppose Johan really believes he wasn't partial and didn't care who would win, and that the team supported Alberto just as much as Lance. I also think Alberto is right to feel he was isolated and left to fend for himself in more ways than one. They are just two versions of the same events. I'm honestly kinda curious how Lance looks back at it at this point.
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    Actually just got this video in my recommended on YouTube (coincidence? Probably not :? ) Some pretty interesting observations. I remember that after the stage Alberto said that Klöden had given him the green light to attack, and looking at this clips it does seem like that could be the case.

• ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    Actually just got this video in my recommended on YouTube

I only just recently discovered those Lanterne Rouge videos myself. He does good work.  :cool

Interesting that that video was just posted a couple of days ago. It seems that it would put it a day ahead of Alberto making his own comments about the incident on Eurosport? It would take some time to do the analysis and post that video, so I wonder what prompted it? Very curious.

I do remember Lance being fractions of a second off the Yellow Jersey after the TTT. Had Lance gotten the jersey, the media surrounding that would've been insane. It also would've been very difficult for Contador to assert himself after that without ten times the scrutiny that he was already under. No doubt that had Armstrong been in Yellow, he would've used it in every way possible to manipulate the situation to his advantage, and justify being the team leader. His ego would've exploded. It would've made for the very ugliest of team dynamics. It must've absolutely killed Lance to be soooooo close to Yelow at that point. He would've loved nothing more.

The other point about the earlier crosswind stage where Lance put time in between himself and Contador is what people should really focus on. Lance gloated about it at the time, and made some not-so-veiled remarks about Contador, without actually naming him. It's the typical hypocrisy of a narcissistic bully. Had the roles been reversed, Armstrong would've been relentless in his criticism of Contador. Lance showed his cards on that stage, and they completely contradicted everything Lance had said prior to the Tour, about how he would support Alberto.

I can still remember an interview with Paul Sherwen from as early as the Tour Down Under that year, where Lance was bragging about how he would be "the best domestique ever" in support of Contador if it were shown that Alberto was the stronger of the two at Le Tour. If he had Contador's best interest in mind, the crosswind stage never would've unfolded the way it did. I'd be curious to hear Johan's take on that stage.

I'm honestly kinda curious how Lance looks back at it at this point.
    This is where Lance trips over himself, and reveals his true inner workings. He still can't stand Contador, and it's obvious at every turn. (The same is true of Vaughters and a few others that Lance was always at odds with. Armstrong just can't let the past go, as much as he tries to pretend that he has.)

Throughout the TdF podcast, there were at least three times that Lance would make disparaging remarks about Contador, and usually refers to him as a "punk." On more than one occasion alone, he would make fun of the fact that Contador famously used a pink whistle, when descending a mountain after a stage, to alert bystanders that he was coming through. It was a stupid little dig that Lance tried, repeatedly, to use against Contador.

It was Hincapie, though, that pointed out that many riders used whistles for that very reason, and George also offered the perfect comeback by saying, "I remember one particular rider who use to always take the helicopter down, so he never had to make the descent on his bike." Lance had little to say in his defense of that one.

Armstrong doesn't even try to hide his continued disdain for Contador. It's so petty, immature, and completely unwarranted. Lance put Alberto in an impossible situation by trying to hijack his own team, when Contador was at the peak of his powers, and the best rider in the world. Imagine if LeMond had made a "comeback" after 2000, and had suddenly arrived at the doorstep of Lance's team!?!? Neve in a million years would Armstrong have tolerate any such thing, so I can't imagine why he expected Contador to be any  more charitable. The whole thing was a disaster in the making.

The notion that Lance was returning to "spread the message" about Livestrong, etc, was totally bogus. Lance was returning for "Lance." He wanted to win another Tour, and that was all there was to it. The fact that he still, to this day, can't come to grips with any of that shows his lack of evolution as a human, despite all his efforts to the contrary.

As I said, Armstrong still takes shots at Vaughters as well. And don't even mention Floyd's name! The one time that happened on the podcast, you could see the steam coming out of Armstrong's ears. 
    :D
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1630
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    A little off-topic, but since Flo sometimes comes to visit here, I just ran across this:

https://bdgastore.com/products/x-golf-chenille-chuck-70-hi?variant=31196878602314

:lol :lol

Made me think of you, la florecita!
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1630
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    . . .
    The notion that Lance was returning to "spread the message" about Livestrong, etc, was totally bogus. Lance was returning for "Lance." He wanted to win another Tour, and that was all there was to it. The fact that he still, to this day, can't come to grips with any of that shows his lack of evolution as a human, despite all his efforts to the contrary.

As I said, Armstrong still takes shots at Vaughters as well. And don't even mention Floyd's name! The one time that happened on the podcast, you could see the steam coming out of Armstrong's ears. 
    :D
    :lol I have to say I like the WEDU Lance podcasts. Because Lance does know a thing or two - he does have a lot of experience. But, that all ends when he gets that emotional hook - that hair up his ass - then he's just a bully or a PITA, depending on where you're at.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2019-20 by al_pacino
    [December 11, 2019, 22:01]

Re: The Start-Up Nation of Cycling by search
    [December 11, 2019, 17:46]

Re: The Start-Up Nation of Cycling by Joelsim
    [December 11, 2019, 16:52]

Re: The Start-Up Nation of Cycling by Leadbelly
    [December 11, 2019, 16:47]

Re: The Start-Up Nation of Cycling by Leadbelly