collapse

LukasCPH

• World Champion
  • Liked: 6253
    • lukascph.media
  • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
Re: Team Sponsorship 16/17
« Reply #120 on: September 09, 2016, 20:57 »
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/rider-prices-rise-as-teams-reach-panic-over-worldtour-points/

Bora vs Bahrain vs Dimension Data for two WT spots.

The way I read this, Dimension Data is pretty much screwed.
They pretty much are. Unless they can somehow make up the ~120-point difference to either one of #cannondale #lampre #giant - then that team would be screwed.
#bora & #bahrain are head and shoulders above all of those four existing WT teams in regards of the 'sporting criterion'[1] - so as long as the new qualifying criteria are the ones that will be used, #didata (or whichever team ends up outside the WT top-18) is screwed.

Probably UCI will chicken out and give 18 teams WT status in the end though, and none of this will be a problem.
That would kind of be the optimal solution, yes.

Here's a piece that is in my opinion somewhat better than the one from CN:
http://cyclingtips.com/2016/09/why-dimension-datas-place-in-the-worldtour-is-under-threat/
 1. I have a spreadsheet and all to prove it
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #121 on: September 09, 2016, 21:05 »
    One thing I would like to see happen is that no new team could enter the sport at a level higher than Pro Conti. If a Sponsor/megalomaniac arab prince wants to get to WT they would either have to spend a year at a lower level which would show some sort of commitment or sponsor an existing team which would help the existing teams in terms of stability.

Even if they had to come in at Pro Conti Level given the riders they've signed Bahrain Merida would basically be guaranteed an invite to any WT race they want next year.
    Quoted for the truth. I agree with all of this.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #122 on: September 09, 2016, 21:21 »
    In the just-finished GP Québec, #cannondale scored 40 points with Bettiol.
    #didata had Haas (6th, 22 points) & Reguigui (6 points) in the top-10, but since they weren't in their five best-scoring riders already, that gives them a net gain of only 1 point (Haas now has 23 points and replaces Renshaw who has 22).

In other words:
    Unless they somehow pull off two consecutive Vuelta stage wins, win a 1-2 in Montréal, and put Cummings or EBH on the ENECO Tour podium, #didata are screwed. :(
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9557
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #123 on: September 09, 2016, 21:29 »
    yeah, but as they didn't plan to go World Tour anyway to begin with, nor have the depth to really justify their place in there, it shouldn't be much of a problem tbh
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #124 on: September 09, 2016, 21:37 »
    yeah, but as they didn't plan to go World Tour anyway to begin with
    That was a PR exercise in my opinion. They planned to go WT this year, they just didn't say it publicly in so many words.

nor have the depth to really justify their place in there, it shouldn't be much of a problem tbh
    This is, however, true. And the team is probably best served as PCT. With Dimension Data's ASO link they will still get many wildcards.
  • ReplyReply

• Kiwirider

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 342
    « Reply #125 on: September 10, 2016, 13:14 »
    One thing I would like to see happen is that no new team could enter the sport at a level higher than Pro Conti. If a Sponsor/megalomaniac arab prince wants to get to WT they would either have to spend a year at a lower level which would show some sort of commitment or sponsor an existing team which would help the existing teams in terms of stability.

Even if they had to come in at Pro Conti Level given the riders they've signed Bahrain Merida would basically be guaranteed an invite to any WT race they want next year.

Problem with your first para is that you are effectively creating the North American sports league model (ie., what Vaughters is pushing) in cycling.

If the existing licence holders get to keep their licence at the WT level, then they are given a monopoly over the WT. Any new team wanting to come in has to effectively buy the right to use the licence - or to basically buy the right to sponsor the company that is the current WT team.

This situation leads to a closed shop and creates a disgusting imbalance and abuse of power by the licence holders - as I say, the NA model is the living, breathing, festering example. (Oh, and for good measure, it has also prompted an amazing closed shop world around drugs and complete disregard for athlete health ... which is not what a sport that is heavily sullied by the former and is currently struggling with a spate of highly avoidable crashes needs.)

Forcing a team who has the sponsors into Pro Conti will only increase the monopoly power of the WT licence holders.
    I mean, if company X wants to get its logo splashed across cycling's biggest stage this year, do you think that that they'll be prepared to hold on for a year before they come in?
    Or will they either head to some other sport, or simply talk to the WT licence holder who, if the price is right, can give company X that exposure?

The only way to avoid this consequence is to put some form of limit on the WT licences - eg., a straight up term or an expiry if certain conditions aren't met - which brings you back to effectively the situation that everyone's in today anyhow.

Not saying that I have an opinion on what is a "perfect solution", but I would suggest something that makes the barrier between WT and Pro Conti more administrative and opens up races to a wider selection of teams would be a better step ...
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• Domestique
    • Liked: 736
    « Reply #126 on: September 10, 2016, 13:31 »
    Problem with your first para is that you are effectively creating the North American sports league model (ie., what Vaughters is pushing) in cycling.

If the existing licence holders get to keep their licence at the WT level, then they are given a monopoly over the WT. Any new team wanting to come in has to effectively buy the right to use the licence - or to basically buy the right to sponsor the company that is the current WT team.

This situation leads to a closed shop and creates a disgusting imbalance and abuse of power by the licence holders - as I say, the NA model is the living, breathing, festering example. (Oh, and for good measure, it has also prompted an amazing closed shop world around drugs and complete disregard for athlete health ... which is not what a sport that is heavily sullied by the former and is currently struggling with a spate of highly avoidable crashes needs.)

Forcing a team who has the sponsors into Pro Conti will only increase the monopoly power of the WT licence holders.
    I mean, if company X wants to get its logo splashed across cycling's biggest stage this year, do you think that that they'll be prepared to hold on for a year before they come in?
    Or will they either head to some other sport, or simply talk to the WT licence holder who, if the price is right, can give company X that exposure?

The only way to avoid this consequence is to put some form of limit on the WT licences - eg., a straight up term or an expiry if certain conditions aren't met - which brings you back to effectively the situation that everyone's in today anyhow.

Not saying that I have an opinion on what is a "perfect solution", but I would suggest something that makes the barrier between WT and Pro Conti more administrative and opens up races to a wider selection of teams would be a better step ...

I'm not saying WT licenses should be held forever. I do still think that there should be promotion to it if a Pro Conti team is worthy of it and a current WT team isn't. What I don't like is someone deciding that they want to set up a team, buy up a load of riders and get a spot at the top table of the sport that way straight away. Cycling is one of the few sports I can think of where someone can decide to set up a team and immediately get a spot in the top divison and that doesn't feel quite right to me.

I do agree with you that I would like to see a way of opening up races to a wider selection of teams. One thing I would suggest is that WT teams are invited to all of them but only compelled to ride 2 of the 3 GTs a year (they could still ride all of them if they wished though). This might create more wildcards in those races as before the Pro/World tour came into existence some teams did not always take up the automatic invites that they had for races and so more smaller teams did get to ride.
  • ReplyReply

• pastronef

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 553
    « Reply #127 on: September 10, 2016, 15:14 »
    AG2R will ride Factor bikes in 2017

they had a contract with Focus for 2017 but it seems Focus stopped the sponsorship

with Factor supporting Ag2r let´s which bikes will One-pro-cycling ride (last month I asked them, Factor, Cooke, on twitter, about Factor 2017 no answer)

from veloptimal.com forum
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #128 on: September 11, 2016, 22:26 »
    Unless they somehow pull off two consecutive Vuelta stage wins, win a 1-2 in Montréal, and put Cummings or EBH on the ENECO Tour podium, #didata are screwed. :(
    No Vuelta stage wins for #didata, but at least a 5th place in Montréal. However, most other teams scored more (sometimes much more) than that. Talansky and Bettiol alone move #cannondale to 9th in the WT team ranking.
    The number of points that #didata would have to make up (not score, but make up!) in the few remaining races is virtually unchanged at 121 to #giant and a bit more to #ag2r or #jumbo.

Basically, the only avenue left for #didata to secure a WT license for 2017 is to sign Contador and Purito and/or Cancellara. :lol
  • ReplyReply

• Kiwirider

• Neo Pro
    « Reply #129 on: September 12, 2016, 00:01 »
    I'm not saying WT licenses should be held forever. I do still think that there should be promotion to it if a Pro Conti team is worthy of it and a current WT team isn't. What I don't like is someone deciding that they want to set up a team, buy up a load of riders and get a spot at the top table of the sport that way straight away. Cycling is one of the few sports I can think of where someone can decide to set up a team and immediately get a spot in the top divison and that doesn't feel quite right to me.

I realise that you're not saying that the licences should be forever - but by making newcomers go pro-conti only, you are effectively handing all of the power for WT licences to the current holders ... which makes them at least "enduring" if not "perpetual".

And there are tons of sports where the only threshold that newcomers have to meet is cash. Again, the North American leagues are an example ... as is, while admittedly being about the whole sport rather than just a team, the recent sale of F1. Look also at football around the world - the clubs are typically privately held companies that can be sold at the owner's whim ...

Beyond that, I don't see what's bad about someone being able to build their first foray into cycling as a WT team. Pro cycling is a business first and foremost. The sporting aspect comes a distant second to making money. If someone is able to pull together a strong team - on the bike and in the support services, then all power to them. After all, that's how the business world works ...
    And I also see no evidence that there's an automatic link between longevity of team ownership and any sort of quality or altruism or interest for the sport ...
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #130 on: September 12, 2016, 09:39 »
    Pro cycling is a business first and foremost. The sporting aspect comes a distant second to making money.
    It's a bloody rotten business then.
    Who makes money in pro cycling?
    ASO. RCS, to a point. Most other race organisers struggle to get by.
    The riders, obviously, but that's a given.
    Team owners, a bit.

Sponsors? No way in hell.
    For them, it's a money sink, that's what it is.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10833
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #131 on: September 12, 2016, 11:14 »
    #movistar get an extension until at least 2019 from Telefonia
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

pastronef

• Road Captain
    « Reply #132 on: September 12, 2016, 14:21 »
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/racing/team-sky-rumoured-wearing-castelli-kit-2017-283957

Sky with Castelli for 2017

will the Gabba-love turn to hate?

hahahaha  :lol   :D
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2468
    « Reply #133 on: September 12, 2016, 15:13 »
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/racing/team-sky-rumoured-wearing-castelli-kit-2017-283957

Sky with Castelli for 2017

will the Gabba-love turn to hate?

hahahaha  :lol   :D

Not meaning to offend, just curious.. What's with your obsession about other people's attitude towards Sky?
  • ReplyReply

• pastronef

• Road Captain
    « Reply #134 on: September 12, 2016, 15:51 »
    Not meaning to offend, just curious.. What's with your obsession about other people's attitude towards Sky?

nah, it´s not an obsession, it´s a fun game. following twitter and the Clin.. eh, the asylum, I am baffled about some reactions to any of their action, it´s mad sometimes, and fun.
    anywasy, we´re off topic

still no news/confirmation about Bahrain-Colnago or Ag2r-Factor
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #135 on: September 12, 2016, 16:32 »
    Bahrain-Colnago
    That would be very big news after they announced Merida as co-sponsor!
    You mean *Chinese sponsor*-Lampre & Colnago, don't you?
  • ReplyReply

• Kiwirider

• Neo Pro
    « Reply #136 on: September 12, 2016, 21:39 »
    It's a bloody rotten business then.
    Who makes money in pro cycling?
    ASO. RCS, to a point. Most other race organisers struggle to get by.
    The riders, obviously, but that's a given.
    Team owners, a bit.

Sponsors? No way in hell.
    For them, it's a money sink, that's what it is.

Damn straight it's a rotten business.

And no, sponsors don't make money directly from cycling - never have and never will.
    It's part of their advertising budget. So it's an expense - and no small measure of tax write off - pure and simple.
    The only exception that I'd suspect - and I freely admit that it's purely suspicion based on a whole series of circumstantial evidence over the years - is Sky, who I am sure have a close deal with ASO to help with promotion of their races in the Anglo world that sees them taking some slice of event revenue ...

Team owners do better than you're assuming. Lets face it, the turnover of team owners is pretty small - so they have to be viable to be lasting that long in the sport. Also, the licences usually remain with team owners when sponsors change - which again wouldn't happen if they weren't profitable.
    When you're working out their viability, don't confuse "budget required to run the team" with "revenue received". Two completely different numbers.
  • ReplyReply

• pastronef

• Road Captain
    « Reply #137 on: September 13, 2016, 11:38 »
    That would be very big news after they announced Merida as co-sponsor!
    You mean *Chinese sponsor*-Lampre & Colnago, don't you?

yes sorry I meant Chinese-Lampre-Saronni-Colnago
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5468
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #138 on: September 14, 2016, 18:56 »
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/horners-lupus-racing-team-will-not-return-in-2017/

Lupus won't be back in 2017. Astellas are looking shaky too.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #139 on: September 18, 2016, 21:16 »
    Not so much team as country sponsorship.

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/about/article/20160918-about-bc-news-British-Cycling-and-HSBC-UK-announce-Lead-Partner-deal-0

British Cycling and HSBC UK have today announced a partnership that will see HSBC UK become the new Lead Partner of British Cycling for the next eight years. The partnership will start from January 1 2017 and seeks to embrace communities nationwide.

HSBC UK will work with British Cycling, as well as Scottish Cycling and Welsh Cycling, across the sport from participation at grassroots level and major organised cycling events through to the highest level of performance with the Great Britain Cycling Team.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media

Joelsim

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1338
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015Current leader, 2015-17 Emerging Riders CQ game
    « Reply #141 on: September 18, 2016, 22:19 »
    I'll give it two years before Team Sky becomes Team HSBC. ;)

You can bank on it.
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2468
    « Reply #142 on: September 18, 2016, 23:34 »
    Lotto Soudal started a new scheme where anyone can buy shares in their team and become part-owner.

http://lottosoudal.be/captains-of-cycling/

The fan-shareholders will have some say in the policies of the team and can name one member of the board of directors. They also get advantages such as being able to visit team presentations, specific areas in race starts/finishes, or team trainings.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #143 on: September 20, 2016, 20:01 »
    https://twitter.com/KasperkiewiczP/status/778237158364684288

Bakala drops the U23 team: #klein Klein Constantia will stop after this season. :(

And I only just made a kit smiley! :angry
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #144 on: September 20, 2016, 20:27 »
    Klein Constantia will stop after this season. :(

You could view SEG as being a kind of replacement for Rabobank, but this leaves Mitteleuropa with no big devo team. Maybe the Giant devo team could fill that role, but with their main team looking more to the Netherlands that looks doubtful.

Hopefully the riders they have who are now without a team should be okay in 2017. Plenty of good names with talent, so teams should be knocking at their doors.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1560
    « Reply #145 on: September 20, 2016, 20:47 »
    You could view SEG as being a kind of replacement for Rabobank, but this leaves Mitteleuropa with no big devo team. Maybe the Giant devo team could fill that role, but with their main team looking more to the Netherlands that looks doubtful.

Hopefully the riders they have who are now without a team should be okay in 2017. Plenty of good names with talent, so teams should be knocking at their doors.

Maybe #verva will pick up some? Poland based but with german and czeck riders too (I think they have one from #klein when it was called Etixx. ....)
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #146 on: September 20, 2016, 21:34 »
    Maybe #verva will pick up some? Poland based but with german and czeck riders too (I think they have one from #klein when it was called Etixx. ....)
    You're thinking of Karel Hnik.
    Etixx-iHNed '13-'14, stagiaire at #mtn2013 MTN in late '14 (where his agent Brian Smith was interim general manager :shh), got a contract with #cult CULT for '15, then moved to #verva VERVA for '16-'17.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #147 on: September 20, 2016, 21:40 »

Yup they'd be an option. CCC might be after the Czechs and Pole too. Bokeloh to Giant Devo etc.

There's no obvious good team for someone like Narvaez but his results in his first season in Europe at only 19 would mean he would still have suitors.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #148 on: September 21, 2016, 11:31 »
    http://www.tuttobiciweb.it/?page=news&cod=94088

Re: The Skydive No Shows recently.

The fact is that our team is owned by a holding company that manages a real sports club: well, is undergoing a profound change in the leadership of the sports club and our leaders have preferred to lock the away games at this time of transition. We look forward with confidence to be fulfilled all the necessary steps and that everything gets better in motion. We want to continue our work to continue to grow and prove our worth

• ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 321
    « Reply #149 on: September 21, 2016, 12:22 »
    You can bank on it.

#JS but Sky is wholly owned subsidiary of Sky broadcasting... not a conventional sponsorship... like the pun nonetheless!
  • ReplyReply

•