collapse

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 5799
    • lukascph.media
  • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
Re: Team Sponsorship 16/17
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2016, 19:54 »
So although I am happy for Giant to have found a co-sponsor willing to invest in it, I worry about the kit for next year...
I don't think #giant will abandon their (stupid) #KeepChallenging stripes. Expecting something like their Tour kit with the Sunweb and Giant logos instead of Giant and Alpecin.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2459
    « Reply #61 on: July 11, 2016, 10:50 »
    http://www.teamlottojumbo.nl/teamlottonljumbo-news/team-lottonljumbo-extends-contract-with-main-sponsor-lotto

LottoNL-Jumbo extended with Lotto for another two years. Jumbo and BrandLoyalty had already extended.

But any details about Team Bahrain remain absent. I wonder what's going on there.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3242
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #62 on: July 11, 2016, 11:10 »
    I don't think #giant will abandon their (stupid) #KeepChallenging stripes. Expecting something like their Tour kit with the Sunweb and Giant logos instead of Giant and Alpecin.

??
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #63 on: July 11, 2016, 14:19 »
    http://teamgiantalpecin.com/a-new-major-team-partnership-confirms-sunwebs-commitment-to-the-future-of-cycling/

So Sunweb confirmed for 3 years. Decent amount of time, so all good. Interestingly, they have not confirmed the team will be Sunweb-Giant next year, so a different secondary sponsor could still be possible. Of course I assume Giant will remain on board; probably as secondary name sponsor, possibly only as bike sponsor.

But more importantly, why do anouncements by that team have to be accompanied with god-flipping-awful hashtags, cringeworthy videos, and lame pictures? I like the team overall, but their Twitter presence is just awful. #CREATINGMEMORIES #KeepChallenging #flipOff
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 14:33 by Slow Rider »

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #64 on: July 11, 2016, 20:01 »

??
    Don't think the two rally stripes unbroken #KeepChallenging stripes stripes will be in different colours. It'll be white and black, with the logos on there.

http://teamgiantalpecin.com/a-new-major-team-partnership-confirms-sunwebs-commitment-to-the-future-of-cycling/

So Sunweb confirmed for 3 years. Decent amount of time, so all good. Interestingly, they have not confirmed the team will be Sunweb-Giant next year, so a different secondary sponsor could still be possible. Of course I assume Giant will remain on board; probably as secondary name sponsor, possibly only as bike sponsor.

But more importantly, why do anouncements by that team have to be accompanied with god-flipping-awful hashtags, cringeworthy videos, and lame pictures? I like the team overall, but their Twitter presence is just awful. #CREATINGMEMORIES #KeepChallenging #flipOff
    Hear, hear!
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #65 on: July 12, 2016, 17:40 »
    Some talk that Tinkoff may be reconsidering his exit from cycling, see here. He still has Majka and Sagan under contract, so this would definitely complicate things. What's in the statutes about when rider contracts are voided in case a team cannot find funding for the next season? If Oleg continues dallying until halfway through September, does he continue to hold Sagan and Majka in his hands?

And if he does stay, he'll lose half his team anyway. Would be very complicated to maintain everything.

But I'll start the rumour here: Nibali to sign for Tinkoff when Bahrain fails ;)
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #66 on: July 12, 2016, 20:06 »
    Some talk that Tinkoff may be reconsidering his exit from cycling, see here. He still has Majka and Sagan under contract, so this would definitely complicate things. What's in the statutes about when rider contracts are voided in case a team cannot find funding for the next season? If Oleg continues dallying until halfway through September, does he continue to hold Sagan and Majka in his hands?
    There's supposed to be a 'conversation of intent' until 31 August at the latest - but that only applies to riders who are out of contract. They're supposed to be told if they'll get a new contract offer from their current team or not until the end of August.

I'm not sure what the rules are for riders still under contract with a team that's said to be maybe folding and maybe not. Thinking back to Euskaltel, I think it was the same - Samu and some others held out until the end of August, hoping that the team would continue, and only looked for a new team when the 31 August deadline had passed.

That said, I don't remember if Samu & co. had a valid contract for the following year or just wanted to continue with the team if possible even though their contract was up.

In short, it's a complicated situation - and one I'm not sure the UCI rules have covered. There's a sh*tload in there about new teams being set up, but hardly anything about teams folding.
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• Domestique
    • Liked: 642
    « Reply #67 on: July 12, 2016, 21:16 »
    Regarding who Alpecin will be sponsoring next year Ned Boulting said on todays ITV podcast that he has been told who it will be but can't say who yet. He did say though that it wouldn't be Katusha and that it was sort of ironic who they would be sponsoring next year.

Me putting 2 and 2 together to get 5 makes me wonder if they're jumping ship to Bora. Either that or they'll be sponsoring a team of bald cyclists.

Post Merge: July 12, 2016, 21:37
    Of course Alpecin-Stölting would make far more sense, but who am I telling that. ;)

Or perhaps re Alpecin was the Stolting online content editor telling us something he was already aware of a long time ago.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 21:37 by Carlo Algatrensig, Reason: Merged DoublePost »

DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1730
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #68 on: July 13, 2016, 02:28 »
    If Oleg continues dallying until halfway through September, does he continue to hold Sagan and Majka in his hands?

I believe this is part of what the bank guarantee does. In essence since the teams are companies of them self they can easially go bankrupt, for that case the bank guarantee is there to cover. With the bank having security in some of Olegs assets I think. As such I would expect that to pay any of the teams obligations that are unfulfilled at the end of the year, until said guarantee runs out of money. As such my guess would be Oleg has to pay both Majka and Sagan regardless and if the team folds they are free to sign elsewhere. As such Sagan would still see his money from Oleg and would as such be free to sign for a relatively low deal if the market has dried up. That is what I think anyway. Any confirmation from someone would be nice.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #69 on: July 13, 2016, 09:39 »
    My emphasis on the extracts of the regs below.

The purpose of the bank guarantee is:
    1. to defray the debts, related to the registration year, in accordance with the procedure set out below, incurred by the licence-holder, the paying agent and the sponsors towards other licence holding members of the UCI Pro Team or entity applying for this status (riders, coaches, mechanics, etc.) in consideration of their services for the operation of the UCI WorldTeam;
    2. to defray the payment of fees, expenses, indemnities, fines and sanctions or sentences imposed by or in virtue of the regulations of the UCI or related to their application.

So, the bank guarantee only covers the registration year; if Tinkoff were to storm off mid-season, or another sponsor were to pull out/go bankrupt, salaries would be (at least partly) covered.

Then the interesting stuff starts...

A UCI WorldTeam must announce its dissolution, the termination of its activities or its inability to perform its obligations as soon as possible to the riders, its other members and the Professional Cycling Council. Once this announcement has been made, riders shall be fully entitled to contract with a third party for the following season or for the period starting at the moment announced for the dissolution, the termination of activities or the inability to perform.

A rider who is contracted to a UCI WorldTeam may, subject to the conditions set out below, conclude a contract to ride for another team (UCI WorldTeam, professional continental team or continental team) in the event that his contract with his current UCI WorldTeam is terminated prematurely for recognised reasons relating to the financial situation of this UCI WorldTeam.
    1. The rider must notify the Professional Cycling Council of the situation of his UCI WorldTeam, of his particular position and of his intention to seek another team, prior to signing a contract with that team. The Professional Cycling Council may request
    information from any interested party.
    2. The contract between the rider and the other team must contain the following clause: "The parties confirm that the contract between the rider and his current UCI WorldTeam only expires on.... . The paying agent recognises and accepts that this contract will be respected. The present contract is concluded provisionally and shall be subject to the premature termination of the contract between the rider and his current UCI WorldTeam on grounds previously authorised by the Professional Cycling Council."

So... a rider (hypothetically, let's call him "Peter") cannot move teams while under contract. In fact, as we know, Peter can't even mention that he is in negotiations until August 1st. By the letter of the regulations, if Oleg decides to continue into next year, and Peter is under contract for that year, that's the end of that. Any other contract that Peter might have agreed is considered provisional only. Unless, there has been an "announcement" that the team will fold.

Now, this reeks of Article 50, a subject which is giving a lot of people in the UK a headache at the moment. But, in short, the legal question is: "what constitutes an announcement?". Not what does Oleg say in the press from one day to the next, but what, if any, official communication has their been to his staff. And if all we have are rumours, then the Tinkoff riders - including our hypothetical Peter - have to wait like the rest of us.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9009
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #70 on: July 15, 2016, 16:46 »
    heard about it in Sibiu already, now it's in the media as well...

...Irish elite team "Aquablue" wants to go pro conti next year

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/new-irish-pro-team-set-for-international-peloton-in-2017/

:S
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #71 on: July 18, 2016, 16:28 »
    We've all heard the #katusha Canyon-Alpecin rumours, I think.
    And also the #katusha folks denying all knowledge of it.

With Degenkolb almost certain to join #trek though, and rumours of Trek stepping down from title sponsorship, what if it's Segafredo-Alpecin instead? :shh
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10741
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #72 on: July 19, 2016, 11:45 »
    AG2R aka the brown bombers will be around until at least 2020
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #74 on: July 19, 2016, 11:52 »
    Pinarello to be the stead of choice at @TeamSky for 4 more years
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #75 on: July 19, 2016, 11:53 »

https://twitter.com/cyclingpronet/status/755353082511388672

Maybe a Crotch eagle ??

Basically no actual facts, though. Supposedly set up for 5 seasons (2017-21). More details on August 1st.

Il est également indiqué que le staff choisi pour débuter cette aventure possède "l'expérience et la connaissance du plus haut niveau du cyclisme professionnel".

It is also reported that staff choose to start this adventure has "experience and knowledge of the highest level of professional cycling."
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #76 on: July 19, 2016, 11:57 »
    Basically no actual facts, though. Supposedly set up for 5 seasons (2017-21). More details on August 1st.

It is also reported that staff choose to start this adventure has "experience and knowledge of the highest level of professional cycling."

John Lelangue is my bet
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #77 on: July 19, 2016, 12:03 »
    John Lelangue is my bet

Definitely maybe. He posted a good few tweets from Qatar earlier this year iirc.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #78 on: July 19, 2016, 17:31 »
    Who needs facts when you have petrodollars?
    Ah, right, the UCI and their Ernst & Young auditors. Damn it.

I would like to officially deny that I am involved in this adventure! :lol
  • ReplyReply

• zinoviev letter

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 144
    « Reply #79 on: July 19, 2016, 22:30 »
    heard about it in Sibiu already, now it's in the media as well...

...Irish elite team "Aquablue" wants to go pro conti next year

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/new-irish-pro-team-set-for-international-peloton-in-2017/

:S

This is strange but not quite as strange as it first appears.

It does not seem that Aquablue, the elite domestic team, is to go ProConti, but that the guy who owns that team's sponsor is setting up a ProConti team along with some unnamed other backers. This new team is to be based in France and the indications from the stickybottle article are that they will have a number of Irish riders, which is actually a way of saying that it will not be only Irish. I would guess that means it will have a dual focus on Irish and local riders, like An Post have in Belgium.

The idea of a Hiberno-French team is not a new one. There was supposed to a team of that sort in the Conti ranks this year, Dynamo Cover, but that collapsed suddenly before ever riding a race. In theory such a team would provide a logical place for Irish climbers and stage racers in particular to develop, just as An Post provides somewhere suitable for big lumps.

But, and this is a big but, a ProConti team is a significantly bigger endeavour. It takes a lot more money, largely because riders have to actually get a minimum wage but also because of greater traveling expenses. I'm very surprised to hear that any Irish business is considering putting the kind of money this would take into cycling.

It is also something of a mystery to me where they are planning to find a bunch of Irish riders who can ride at ProConti level in the immediate future. There's a record number of Irish riders on Conti teams at the moment, but very few of them have done much to show that they've outgrown the lower level. I suppose there's Eddie Dunbar but the cupboard starts looking a bit bare quickly.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #80 on: July 22, 2016, 12:11 »
    #stolting didn't find a co-sponsor for PCT level and will return to Conti status for 2017: :(
    http://bit.ly/TeamStolting2017
  • ReplyReply

• pastronef

• National Champion
    • Liked: 549
    « Reply #81 on: July 24, 2016, 10:02 »
    #stolting didn't find a co-sponsor for PCT level and will return to Conti status for 2017: :(

sad to see Lukas, not totally unexpected after they made it by the scruff of the neck this year
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4801
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #82 on: July 24, 2016, 19:58 »

Fair play though to the sponsors (and the riders who took pay cuts) for sticking with it this year after the Cult debacle. They've earnt a lot of goodwill for that.

Speaking in general terms, does a move from PCT to CT mean that all rider contracts can be "voided" by either side? or is it only if it's mentioned in the paperwork?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #83 on: July 25, 2016, 08:16 »
    Fair play though to the sponsors (and the riders who took pay cuts) for sticking with it this year after the Cult debacle. They've earnt a lot of goodwill for that.
    :cool

Speaking in general terms, does a move from PCT to CT mean that all rider contracts can be "voided" by either side? or is it only if it's mentioned in the paperwork?
    Yes, I would think so.
    I'm not certain of it; but I think that with the team manager being a lawyer, everything will be watertight. ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Guilherme Ribeiro

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 96
    « Reply #84 on: July 27, 2016, 08:21 »
    Benfica confirmed their return to the internation peloton today in the ABola Newspaper, with two teams, one U23 and the other Continental team, the  main objectiv is ride in France and Luxembourg for 2017.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #85 on: July 27, 2016, 17:56 »
    Press release from *bh Bahrain:
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4801
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #86 on: July 27, 2016, 18:22 »
    Press release from *bh Bahrain

Funny how there's no specific mention of WT in that and I couldn't find a mention in the news reports from earlier in the year (admittedly I didn't look that hard). Just stuff like "the aim is to compete with the best teams in the world". Probably just a coincidence or they're just wary of promising too much and losing face if it doesn't come off.

Guess we'll see on the 1st.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #87 on: July 27, 2016, 18:26 »
    Funny how there's no specific mention of WT in that and I couldn't find a mention in the news reports from earlier in the year (admittedly I didn't look that hard). Just stuff like "the aim is to compete with the best teams in the world". Probably just a coincidence or they're just wary of promising too much and losing face if it doesn't come off.
    Even more strangely, there's no name given for the "spokesman of the consortium". I find that very unusual.
  • ReplyReply

• pastronef

• National Champion
    • Liked: 549

Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #89 on: July 27, 2016, 21:13 »
    Even more strangely, there's no name given for the "spokesman of the consortium". I find that very unusual.

Yup, it looked really odd to have a nameless spokesman of the consortium quoted in a press release drafted by, in all likelihood, same nameless spokesman of the consortium.

A member of the Velorooms forum was quoted as finding this "a bit strange." He went on to say: "This kind of press release is really pretty worthless. But it makes sense, as it allows other news institutions to include the quote by the spokesman in their reports, making it seem as though they actually did an interview even though all they actually did was copy and paste from the press release."

The Velorooms member did admit being "interested in which riders they'll announce on the 1st of August."
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Slag om Norg by DJW
    [June 28, 2017, 22:36]

Re: Slag om Norg by Echoes
    [June 28, 2017, 21:41]

Re: Men's Kits 2017 by t-72
    [June 28, 2017, 21:15]

Re: Men's Kits 2017 by LukasCPH
    [June 28, 2017, 21:04]

Re: Stagiaires 2017 by Leadbelly