collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 10576
  • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
For the joy of the fans :lol
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    For the joy of the fans :lol

Have to say that, despite the plethora of homoerotic allusions in that article, I was not anticipating such a spectacular, uh, climax.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cofidis-train-needs-more-time-says-bouhanni

think we need to split this and have a #cofidis thread tbh

If we do that, we lose one of VR's finest in-jokes: the Cofidis thread that isn't.  :lol
  • ReplyReply

• Archieboy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 258
    • Awards: 2014 & 2015 Official Prediction Game ChampReigning TDF Prediction Champ

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4691
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    http://www.biciciclismo.com/es/el-funvic-de-dani-diaz-mira-hacia-las-grandes-vueltas-02-03-2015

#funvic with lofty ambitions.

2015 Win the UCI America Tour
    2016 Go Pro Continental
    2017 Grand Tour participation
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    Came into this thread for a different reason, but since I saw this post...

http://www.biciciclismo.com/es/el-funvic-de-dani-diaz-mira-hacia-las-grandes-vueltas-02-03-2015

#funvic with lofty ambitions.

2015 Win the UCI America Tour
    2016 Go Pro Continental
    2017 Grand Tour participation

Didn't quite achieve the 2015 goal - the team were second in the rankings behind Optum, while Diaz ended up fourth (after doing nothing for virtually all of the year).

2016 is already ticked off though and the year hasn't even begun. The final aim looks more difficult. I'd be pretty surprised if they got that so soon.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    Kuchynski is off to Gazprom as a DS, so is that the end for Team Minsk? Maybe not, but nothing concrete yet.

http://www.minskcyclingclub.com/ru/news/aleksandr-kuchinskiy-poyavilis-drugie-celi

- How easy is it was given the decision to hang the bike on the nail?

- I guess I was ripe for it, although he could probably still a bit of traveling and desire is not entirely exhausted. But there are other goals - I want to try to prepare someone to convey the accumulated experience.

- As I understand it, will strengthen the coaching staff, "Minsk"?

- Not necessary. Until January of time much more. You never know, at the end of courses and after obtaining international licenses will go some interesting suggestions. But the club "Minsk" in any case, I do not throw. Until his departure to Switzerland issues involved. And I can continue with the same sponsors to negotiate. More specifically, while I can not say.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    Time for a revival of "the Cofidis thread that isn't" with something that's been bugging me lately. Or rather someone:

Now it is well known on these boards that I 'support' that team because it's French and it's crap. I also 'support' plucky youngsters and up-and-comers until they reach the respectability of general renown and acclaim and then I move on.

So how do I deal with this? Supporting a crap team that I fear may squander a huge young talent the way it tends to squander every huge young talent on which it lays its unsophisticated, rustic and calloused hands.

Florian Sénéchal is only 22 years old but he has already begun his third season as a professional at #cofidis.

As a third year pro even of tender years, a brilliant talent like Sénéchal ought to have had some sort of result, given some small sign of a glittering career ahead. Featured prominently in a memorable race. Taken some tiny stage of a tiny race or worn a best young rider jersey.

A Junior Paris-Roubaix winner (ahead of some kid called Gougeard) and a podium finisher at the Junior Ronde but, snapped up by the Kings of Cheap Credit, we never got to see him perform that much at U23. So what has he done as a young pro?

A few minor top 10s and some signals of quality on the rough stuff, the highlight of which was 3rd at last season's Tro Bro Léon. That result remains his best to date. Meanwhile one can only wonder at the team's decision to throw him into the Tour de France in 2015: Sénéchal survived and finished 135th overall in Paris, two spots ahead of a near-contemporary of similar profile, Arnaud Démare.

So is my concern unfounded? Am I expecting too much too soon, especially when one considers Démare's rapid rise and equally rapid stagnation? Is the team doing enough to instill a winning mentality in this kid?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5715
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    So is my concern unfounded? Am I expecting too much too soon, especially when one considers Démare's rapid rise and equally rapid stagnation? Is the team doing enough to instill a winning mentality in this kid?
    He's 22. Many other riders don't even turn pro until then. I think he'll break through eventually - maybe within the next two months. ;)

No idea whether #cofidis do enough to develop him into a winning pro; they're not exactly the team best-known for developing world-beaters. We'll see.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8838
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    It's a bit too early to judge I guess, his Paris Roubaix last year was great for example, finishing only half a minute behind the winner - but he needs to turn it into results at some point, sure. But the fact that guys like Vanbilsen (who was basically the next big thing at Topsport) and van Staeyen (who finished high up in the orders at least in the easier races) completely disappeared from the radar - and also that Petit got his mojo back now after leaving the team - isn't exactly a good sign.

But sure, FDJ has the same kind of problems, not only with Demare, even more so if you look what happened to le Bon or Offredo, and Ag2R with Gaudin and Turgot
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 09:37 by search »
    "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    He's 22. Many other riders don't even turn pro until then. I think he'll break through eventually - maybe within the next two months. ;)

No idea whether #cofidis do enough to develop him into a winning pro; they're not exactly the team best-known for developing world-beaters. We'll see.

:snooty
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    :snooty
    "Tomorrow" does fall within the timeframe of "within the next two months", does it not? :P

I think a podium in what's effectively a sh*t small race can't be called a breakthrough. But it's a good sign.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8838
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    well, you clearly didn't watch the race though  :P

sure, the competition wasn't super strong, but this was probably one of the hardest races we will see all season
  • ReplyReply

• DJW

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 816
    • Awards: Reigning Vuelta Prediction ChampRio Olympic Games Prediction Champ
    He was very active in the final 25km and looked strong in what was a pretty tough for everyone.
    In the end he got drawn into chasing a couple of bad moves but didn't really have other options looking at those around him.
    That he managed to recover and get back into another late move then sprint for 3rd, several places above Bystrom who had sat back most of the previous half hour, should be encouraging for him.
  • ReplyReply

• Slapshot

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 273
    It looked to be a proper northern european early spring race, cold, wet, cobbles plenty of Belgian toothpaste around, one for the tough guys. terpstra looked pretty strong, Scotty Thwaites was a great surprise, well done to him he really hung on well.... now can the weather stay that poor until Roubaix??
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    This thread is more #silber than #cofidis:P

http://cyclingmagazine.ca/spotlight/silber-pro-cycling-what-is-next-2017-pro-continental/

Team has sponsporship secured for the next three years, but haven't been able to increase the budget that much.

They expect to lose a couple of riders (my guess Perry and Cataford).

Focus is on developing riders to a good level at a younger age.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    #inteja

https://twitter.com/metodofenomeno/status/822069322520608768

Inteja aims to be a PCT team in 2018.

"With Brenes or Beltrán I think we will have an assured presence on the mountain, and in sprints with Albert (Torres) we have reinforced quite well."

"I do not know if a ProTour, but we can say that one day a Dominican will be in the Tour de France, and who knows, why not, in a Dominican team."

"This year we changed San Luis for Mallorca and Valencia. We would also like to be in Murcia and Almeria, but we have not had a positive response, and we will follow our national calendar in the classics of Indurain, Rioja, Amorebieta ... Like every year, mixing it with Vuelta a México, Vuelta a Independencia, Costa Rica, which has now been postponed (huh?).We also plan to do something in France and Belgium in August, in our philosophy of improving every year."
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    #silber

https://twitter.com/SilberProTeam/status/822632088004427776

Ellsay's best moments of the year. Number 3 has a good anecdote about Neal Rogers starting an interview with them after the Redlands TT with “I don’t know who you guys are but here we go…”.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    Ellsay's best moments of the year. Number 3 has a good anecdote about Neal Rogers starting an interview with them after the Redlands TT with “I don’t know who you guys are but here we go…”.
    :lol

Inteja aims to be a PCT team in 2018.
    Huh.
    It's true that they have signed some good foreign riders. And as Funvic or Novo Nordisk have shown, you don't need to have any actual quality on your roster to become PCT - it's sufficient to send in the files and pay the UCI's fee.

But will Brenes, Beltrán, Sarabia, Torres, Milan & co. be able to perform well enough this year for the sponsor(s) to feel the budget increase is worth it?
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    I don't think there's a possibility of Inteja funding the budget increase themselves, I think they're more angling for a new named (co)sponsor to come in and help with it. Dominican ideally, but Spanish is definitely an (more realistic?) option.

Some eye catching performances/results from Torres, Brenes, Beltran or some of the youngsters will surely help with that search, but with a squad overhaul would a new sponsor be that fussed with the 2017 results?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    I don't think there's a possibility of Inteja funding the budget increase themselves, I think they're more angling for a new named (co)sponsor to come in and help with it. Dominican ideally, but Spanish is definitely an (more realistic?) option.
    Spanish economy is in the sh*ts. I don't see one of the companies that normally enter cycling having the cash necessary for a PCT (co-)sponsorship. And I don't see the team attracting a big sponsor who would have the cash - Movistar already has a WT team (and then some), after all.

Some eye catching performances/results from Torres, Brenes, Beltran or some of the youngsters will surely help with that search, but with a squad overhaul would a new sponsor be that fussed with the 2017 results?
    Meh.
    This whole "go PCT for the sake of going PCT" thing with a huge turnover in the riders (and staff) that made the team, well, the team, is not my favourite scenario.
    It's necessary to get rid of those of your riders who just aren't good enough - but it's also important to keep and maintain the team's identity, and the riders are a big part of that.

#academy have managed that this year, keeping most of their CT core. #bora, on the other hand, feel like a completely different team - Sagan & co. plus their other signings mean that the 2017 team looks nothing like the 2016 team. It's merely the same management company and (partly) sponsors.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    Costa Rica, which has now been postponed (huh?).

It's now marked down on the UCI website as being raced in June instead of February.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    It's now marked down on the UCI website as being raced in June instead of February.
    So it may not happen at all. :shh
    I've seen too many races having their first edition postponed only to then not happen at all. :(
  • ReplyReply

• DJW

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 816
    • Awards: Reigning Vuelta Prediction ChampRio Olympic Games Prediction Champ

:(
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    So it may not happen at all. :shh

That's a possibility or it could be run as a 2.2 at least in it's first year.

I was under the impression that the ASO were in the background helping to organize it (and hence the French name), but this article says that although they are interested in a race in the area, they are nothing to do with this and it's all on FECOCI's shoulders for the time being.

So that makes me less hopeful.

Two guesses as to why the dates have been changed. 1) Amador wasn't available in February 2) It gives them breathing space to find money/sponsors, but will the WT and PCT teams be able to chop and change their schedule so they can attend?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    Two guesses as to why the dates have been changed. 1) Amador wasn't available in February 2) It gives them breathing space to find money/sponsors, but will the WT and PCT teams be able to chop and change their schedule so they can attend?
    1) He's more likely to be available in February than in June!

2) A couple months extra to find sponsors, yes - but I don't think many (if any) PCTs, much less WT teams, will be ready to jet into Costa Rica when the European season is fully on.
    The race would have to pay transport to the race (and that alone is a lot), accommodation at the race (and good accommodation!) plus some sizable start money. I'm very skeptical. :(
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    This is from August 2016, but it's newsworthy on account of its headline alone:
    #terengganu Terengganu Cycling Team going after Tour de France berth

Terengganu Menteri Besar Ahmad Razif Abdul Rahman believes that the Terengganu Cycling Team (TSG) have the potential to compete in the prestigious Tour de France in five years.
    [...]
    TSG also participated in Le Tour de Langkawi (LTdL) in February and upsetted a number of professional teams in the process, by finishing ninth (out of 22 teams) in the overall rankings. Terengganu’s Adiq Husainie Othman created history when he finished the tour as the best Asian rider, making him the first Malaysian to win it in LTdL’s 21-year history.

“He (Adiq) outshone more established riders from China’s Hengxiang Cycling Team and Japan’s Aisan Racing Team,” Ahmad Razif Abdul Rahman said quoted by New Straits Times.
    Beating Masakazu Ito and Zhao Jingbiao (by two and three seconds, respectively) now translates to "ready for the Tour within five years" ...?
    :lol
    Well, Ito has signed an official pro contract for 2017 - so he's not completely worthless. But it's still a long way from "beating a Japanese who got the 19th #nippo roster spot" to "ready for the Tour de France as a whole team".  :S

Terengganu Cycling Team have just signed Slovakian coach Adam Szabo, who was behind the success of world champion Peter Sagan and European champion Erik Baska, as well as the introduction of riders Daniel Whitehouse, Dadi Suryadi and Maral-Erdene Batmunkh.
    This part may actually be way more important than whatever tertiary results they scored in Langkawi. But Szabó has moved on already - he's a #nice DS this year.
    So I guess the *my Tour dreams will have to wait a little while longer ... ;)
  • ReplyReply

•