collapse

Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 980
  • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
A call to prospective investors. After all, to most of the world, road cycling is the Tour de France (and I won't disagree with them, as it's not half a pain in the arse to see a non Tour de France race in most places).
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 6529
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    https://twitter.com/Rally_Cycling/status/923937928266600451

Simply put, the team dominated racing in North America.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    #burgos

http://zonacycling.com/jose-cabedo-revelo-aspiraciones-2018/

Debut in the Challenge of Mallorca , the first part of the calendar will focus on the national terrain  (Andalusia, Valencia, Murcia, Almeria) . Then they will move to South America (the Colombia Oro y Paz). "We intend to attend all the World Tour races that take place in Spain. And the great objective, of course, is to be in the Vuelta . "
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    http://www.hincapieracing.com/schedule/

Holowesko have their 2018 schedule up nice and early.

It's the usual US calendar plus a few extras.

Oro y Paz (automatic invite due to 2017 ranking)
    Normandie
    Route Adelie
    La Roue Tourangelle
    Circuit Des Ardennes
    Paris–Camembert
    Croatia
    Britain
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    Holowesko have their 2018 schedule up nice and early.

It's the usual US calendar plus a few extras.

No Alberta however, which is bad news for the race. They only managed to scrape together 11 teams this year (1 WT team) and if they can't even persuade US teams to make the trip, then the future looks very bleak to me.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    https://twitter.com/axeonhb/status/937739247490125831

I reckon Costa must be making a comeback. Two reasons.

#1 If he doesn't they won't have a single climber in the team. Okay that's potentially a bit harsh on a couple of riders (Blevins?), but you can see where I am coming from.

#2 They said Almeida was the seventh and final new rider to join the team. Now since Curran is ageing out, they must re-sign everyone else including Adrien to make up the numbers to the minimum for a PCT team.
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1445
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015Current leader, 2015-17 Emerging Riders CQ game
    https://twitter.com/axeonhb/status/937739247490125831

I reckon Costa must be making a comeback. Two reasons.

#1 If he doesn't they won't have a single climber in the team. Okay that's potentially a bit harsh on a couple of riders (Blevins?), but you can see where I am coming from.

#2 They said Almeida was the seventh and final new rider to join the team. Now since Curran is ageing out, they must re-sign everyone else including Adrien to make up the numbers to the minimum for a PCT team.

Costa has a few rides on Strava last couple of months. None at all for the few months prior to that.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6620
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    So ... Vital Concept, then. Have y'all talked about this team already?

Now, where do I begin?

If you don't want to sound like a CT team, don't add epithets like "Cycling Club" to your name. The stink of novelty will have snobbier fans like me, who consider that such a name plays well alongside Baby Dump and Monkey Town, reaching for the roomspray.

So what can you do with a pile of last season's leftovers? Throw together a team and hope it goes well with patrons.

What Jérôme Pineau presents is a veritable nouvelle cuisine of race faces. What it looks like to me is a weak gruel of surplus doms from other French PCT teams peppered with experienced but largely unproductive Belgians, all of which does not an attractive wildcard make.

But, but, but. They have Bryan and they have what must be a top-five jersey this season. All the eggs are firmly in the Coq's basket.

As long as he doesn't get injured, what could possibly go wrong? Bon appetit! :S
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    Yeah I'm disappointed by their lack of climbers myself, but not totally surprised. It's a crowded French market and once the WT teams have taken their share and the more established PCT ones have had a go, you're left with the dregs of the dregs. Not always the most tasty of beverages.

It's not uncommon though to go down the fast men and stage wins route and put goats on the back burner. Orica were very light on climbers when they started out, as were Sunweb in a previous life, ditto Bora. The Bike Geeeeeks aren't exactly overflowing with climbers.

The climbers will come though, eventually. Someone will take the plunge and value the freedom over lack of support.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6883
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    The climbers will come though, eventually. Someone will take the plunge and value the freedom over lack of support.
    This. How did Fortuneo start out? Sprinters, puncheurs, finisseurs. And now they have Barguil. :cool
    Rome A cycling team wasn't built in a day season.

Last year, #aquablue started with a squad that wasn't much, if at all, better than that of #vital - and now they're widely heralded as the new hot sh*t and considered almost as a GT-must-start, with many demanding a wildcard for them, or else.

Strength on paper (or lack of the same) is one thing: It's strength in the actual races that counts.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1445
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015Current leader, 2015-17 Emerging Riders CQ game
    They were invited to Gent Wevelgem yesterday, Dwaars door Vlaanderen I suspect too given Le Coq finished 2nd there a couple of years ago.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    https://twitter.com/TeamCOFIDIS/status/973500163800084480

, but.........

http://www.cyclismactu.net/news-itw-nacer-bouhanni-ce-n-est-pas-moi-qui-ait-declare-forfait-72665.html

It is not me who has forfeited Milan-San Remo . It is a decision of the management of the Cofidis team, a decision that I can only accept and respect even if morally it is hard for me because I wanted to be there on this Milan-San Remo. I was well and I had even the green light of the doctor of the Cofidis team. Since Sunday morning, I got the green light to ride a bike. After resting two days on Friday and Saturday, I resumed training on Sunday with 1:30 of cycling. Monday, I even did three hours of cycling.

Let's see if he makes a sudden recovery and races Catalunya.

Let's see if he's still at Cofidis in 2019. ;)
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    https://twitter.com/TeamCOFIDIS/status/973500163800084480

, but.........

http://www.cyclismactu.net/news-itw-nacer-bouhanni-ce-n-est-pas-moi-qui-ait-declare-forfait-72665.html

Let's see if he makes a sudden recovery and races Catalunya.

Let's see if he's still at Cofidis in 2019. ;)

If LB hadn't posted this, I would have done so.

With CN pushing further and further into clickbait troll territory (Lukas beware), it is getting harder to figure out what beefs are genuine. I mean, I have to, like, read other sources to make up my mind these days.

But there does seem to be something, even if it's just a cube of bouillon so far, in the Bouhanni-Cofidis beef. Or rather the Bouhanni-Vasseur beef. Nacer got a big salary, a bro deal and an extensive sprint train built around him, all of which remains contrary to French traditions, but still could not reproduce his now distant winning streak of 2014.

Although I take comments about his attitude with a pinch of salt - few sprinters come without big egos - I have never rated Bouhanni as a top-tier sprinter anyway.

Those Giro stages were all taken against an unusually weak sprint field: no Cavendish or Greipel, Kittel had already gone home, Nizzolo and Matthews were still very young and trackbound Viviani was not yet the force he is today. He grabbed two stages in that year's Vuelta against stronger opposition but a truly élite sprinter should have won more.

Fast forward to 2017 and for me his wins mostly reflected his level. The rest is hype. So there are plenty of theories, some more than others, for the continued poverty of #cofidis in terms of wins but it is at best a team of baroudeurs and at worst a talent drain, hiring in outside bets and hoping for miracles (Claeys, Van Staeyen, Van Genechten), berthing Spanish misfits (Maté, Navarro, the Herradas) and haemorrhaging any real prospects after a fruitless stay (Sénéchal, Venturini and probably Hofstetter and Laporte this year).

Bouhanni could well leave at the end of this year but who will want a smalltown sprinter with a big city attitude? The French PCT squads that might understand him best can't afford the budget or the backing and most other teams won't want to afford it.

If you believe the hype, he coulda been a contender. Perhaps Bouhanni's biggest problem is that he seems to believe it himself.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 08:02 by L'arri »

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 11166
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    to be fair, Bouhanni crashed heavily in Yorkshire last year, ending up with a concussion and limited visibility, and he is not the same since then. Some time midway through last year he admitted that he is unable to approach a sprint the same way as before, take the same risks and so on - and that's surely something you wouldn't expect to hear from a guy like Bouhanni.

I don't agree to the fact that he took his wins due to unusually weak sprint fields. In terms of speed, the only sprinter I rate(d) higher than Bouhanni is Kittel. And if his chain hadn't dropped in the sprint two years ago, he would probably be the one with a MSR victory in the bag, and not Demare. So he has every reason to believe that he can be a contender to win
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    to be fair, Bouhanni crashed heavily in Yorkshire last year, ending up with a concussion and limited visibility, and he is not the same since then. Some time midway through last year he admitted that he is unable to approach a sprint the same way as before, take the same risks and so on - and that's surely something you wouldn't expect to hear from a guy like Bouhanni.

I don't agree to the fact that he took his wins due to unusually weak sprint fields. In terms of speed, the only sprinter I rate(d) higher than Bouhanni is Kittel. And if his chain hadn't dropped in the sprint two years ago, he would probably be the one with a MSR victory in the bag, and not Demare. So he has every reason to believe that he can be a contender to win

That is a sound argument indeed. He has had some very bad luck. But would you agree that the moment of greatness has passed? :)
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 11166
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013

L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    Algerian-registered CT outfit Sovac-Natura4Ever, otherwise known as the team that currently employs Davide Rebellin, decided to set off early to Cameroon a few days before that country's national tour, to acclimatise before the start.

So it was that the riders learned at their local hotel that the race had to be cancelled for financial reasons.

While waiting on the flight home, manager Geoffrey Coupé said, "[the riders] stayed on at the hotel and they went out training. So all in all, they've had some sort experience in Cameroon, even if they would have preferred to have raced."

With new funding now secured, the race has since been rescheduled for May. The Cameroon experience indeed ...

https://www.directvelo.com/actualite/64724/hotel-ananas-et-entrainement-pour-sovac-natura4ever (FR)
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3898
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    It is not me who has forfeited Milan-San Remo . It is a decision of the management of the Cofidis team, a decision that I can only accept and respect even if morally it is hard for me because I wanted to be there on this Milan-San Remo. I was well and I had even the green light of the doctor of the Cofidis team. Since Sunday morning, I got the green light to ride a bike. After resting two days on Friday and Saturday, I resumed training on Sunday with 1:30 of cycling. Monday, I even did three hours of cycling.

right - so he is cleared to race ... and gee on Monday he managed 3 hrs of cycling. 

Forgive me, but isnt MSR 300km?  pretty sure that will take a fair amount of form, and a lot longer than 3 hrs on a bike.

I get that he is peeed at not being able to go ... but I also get the team saying 'no you dont have the form'

putting out tweets and info like that gets dangerously close to 2 yr old tantrum territory
  • ReplyReply

• rote_laterne

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 143
     #bora
    Lukas Pöstlberger who DNS stage 2 of the Tour of the Alps due to illness won't probably participate in the Giro d'Italia according to Sports Director Pömer.

http://sport.orf.at/stories/2292709/ (german)
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2620
    Difficult thread to click "likes" in but I appreciate updates on Pösti - what happened to his spring season?
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    Difficult thread to click "likes" in but I appreciate updates on Pösti - what happened to his spring season?

He looked sharp in one race I saw, I can't remember which, but what's up with him? Injured, overtrained, cytomegalo or something like that?
  • ReplyReply

• rote_laterne

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 143
    He looked sharp in one race I saw, I can't remember which, but what's up with him? Injured, overtrained, cytomegalo or something like that?

Appearently he caught a cold before Het Nieuwsblad, starting the race made it worse but he seemed in good condition after his training camp in Gran Canaria. After the camp he was a late addition to Itzulia, that likely was not the best decision.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    Some encouraging signs in recent weeks from #cofidis, the team that started this thread and has long required of its fans a sick combination of masochism and nostalgia, together with a near-fanatical belief in a future when the hastily drawn sun of the logo can shine again and burn off all cloudy memories of risible mediocrity.

Twelve wins this year. Just one more will equal the tally for the entire 2017 season and the pilgrim's march can approach once more the high plateau of Functional Nacer.

Yesterday had to be the moment when a few of these poor beleaguered souls began to cherish the firm prospect of a renaissance for the cheap loan chaps, when a whisper might at last grow into a roar, when the seeds sown by the Prophet Vasseur might at last be seen to poke tentatively through a soil too long arid of pelotonic legitimacy.

Grounds for optimism indeed with two victories in a single day, first from youngster Dorian Godon in the short stage race Boucles de la Mayenne (2.1) and then from the team's self-appointed saviour-in-chief Christophe "Better than Boubou" Laporte in the Tour de Luxembourg (2.HC).

Time will tell whether or not the prophecy proves true, as all fervent believers believe it must, that someday soon there shall be a fairer share of the Kuota of Victories and that we shall witness the Second Shining and See Red again on the podium of this year's Tour de France.
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1415
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    Some encouraging signs in recent weeks from #cofidis, the team that started this thread and has long required of its fans a sick combination of masochism and nostalgia, together with a near-fanatical belief in a future when the hastily drawn sun of the logo can shine again and burn off all cloudy memories of risible mediocrity.

Twelve wins this year. Just one more will equal the tally for the entire 2017 season and the pilgrim's march can approach once more the high plateau of Functional Nacer.

Yesterday had to be the moment when a few of these poor beleaguered souls began to cherish the firm prospect of a renaissance for the cheap loan chaps, when a whisper might at last grow into a roar, when the seeds sown by the Prophet Vasseur might at last be seen to poke tentatively through a soil too long arid of pelotonic legitimacy.

Grounds for optimism indeed with two victories in a single day, first from youngster Dorian Godon in the short stage race Boucles de la Mayenne (2.1) and then from the team's self-appointed saviour-in-chief Christophe "Better than Boubou" Laporte in the Tour de Luxembourg (2.HC).

Time will tell whether or not the prophecy proves true, as all fervent believers believe it must, that someday soon there shall be a fairer share of the Kuota of Victories and that we shall witness the Second Shining and See Red again on the podium of this year's Tour de France.
    Whoa, dude! Like, words! Stoked!
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .