collapse

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
  • Liked: 4795
  • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
The Academy of Cycling
« on: November 21, 2015, 22:30 »
A thread for all things Cycling Academy related.

Now I just need to persuade CJ to make the team jersey/Israeli flag a message icon. :P

https://www.israelcyclingacademy.com/
@yallaACADEMY
Facebook

First bit of news is via their facebook account. The opener for the season will be the GP Costa degli Etruschi. Tro-Bro Leon looks to be on the calendar too. Their only venture into Western Europe last year was the Tour de Berlin, so this maybe marks a change in geographic focus?
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 16:21 by Leadbelly »

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5793
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Re: The Academy of Cycling
    « Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 12:37 »
    First bit of news is via their facebook account. The opener for the season will be the GP Costa degli Etruschi. Tro-Bro Leon looks to be on the calendar too. Their only venture into Western Europe last year was the Tour de Berlin, so this maybe marks a change in geographic focus?
    Apart from Israelis, the 2015 squad was full of Poles, Slovaks plus one Czech and a Spaniard.

For 2016, they've cast a wider net, also signing a Slovene and an Estonian.
    Three former WT riders (#cannondale Boivin, #bmc Butler, #europcar Craven) mean a step up in quality, and three of the new riders (four if you count Korus) come from North America.

I believe that we'll definitely see a change in focus. With the North Americans and Peter Sagan as "team ambassador", an invite to the Tour of California is entirely possible, and I expect them to also go for the other *usa *ca races.
    Giovanni Lombardi is the agent of Sagan and used to be the agent of Ran Margaliot (now the team manager), his connections ought to get the team a decent Italian calendar.

It's an interesting project, and I'm looking forward to following it in the future. :)
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 13:07 »
    Having Specialized and Oakley on board might help with some NA invites too.

Sagiv's special edition blue and white Oakley's.

They've still got six Eastern Europeans though, so hopefully they won't abandon all the races from that part of the world.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 13:10 »
    https://www.facebook.com/CyclingAcademyTeam/posts/632861883484040

Coppi e Bartali is on the menu.

The Italian stage race - La Settimana Internazionale di Coppi e Bartali is a beautiful opportunity for us to honour the memory of the legendary Italian champion Gino Bartali, who was recognised as a righteous among the nations, by the Yad Vashem: World Holocaust Center, Jerusalem.

Bartali, who was one of the greatest champions in the history of cycling, won multiple titles of the Giro d'Italia and Le Tour de France. It was only a few years ago though, that the stories about Bartali's noble acts to save Italy's Jews, during the 2nd World-War, started to emerge.

We feel that there is no need to explain, how special it is for an Israeli team like us, to be invited to such a prestigious race, that honours the great sportive rivalry between Gino Bartali and his greatest cycling rival Fausto Coppi.
    We may only say, that for us, Bartali will always remain a symbol of an exceptional champion. On and off the bike.
    "Il bene si fa, ma non si dice" he once said (Italian to: "Good is something you do, not something you talk about").
    And we hope that every single one of our team member, will be inspired by Bartali's legacy.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 15:12 »
    They've still got six Eastern Europeans though, so hopefully they won't abandon all the races from that part of the world.
    I'm pretty confident that they won't. :shh
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner

jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 716
    • Loving this weather... not.
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 14:32 »
    Excellent kit!
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 15:45 »
    Excellent kit!
    It's the kit of the *ee amateur team Räim was riding for this year, though. ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 14:35 »
    http://www.thepelotonbrief.com/dan-craven-framebuilding/

Dan Craven builds a bike (and he uses a lot of brackets too).

He's been competing recently in the Desert Dash in Namibia - a 369km, 24hr mountain bike race from Windhoek to Swakopmund via the Namib Desert. His two man team (Seibeb + Dan) came third in their event.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 14:39 »
    http://www.thepelotonbrief.com/dan-craven-framebuilding/

Dan Craven builds a bike (and he uses a lot of brackets too).
    Nowt wrong with brackets (I should know, I use them regularly)! :P

Looking forward to this team's 2016 season. :)
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #11 on: January 01, 2016, 21:20 »

I presume this is the "new" kit. The grey in last year's seemed to get a bit bluer in later races and this takes it a small step further.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #12 on: January 01, 2016, 21:29 »

I presume this is the "new" kit. The grey in last year's seemed to get a bit bluer in later races and this takes it a small step further.
    As the 'model' seems to be Guillaume Boivin (I think), it would be the 2016 kit, yes.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #13 on: January 01, 2016, 21:33 »
    You may want to delete that post, as it's Raim.  :P

What this thread really needs of course is an exclusive Dan Craven interview.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #14 on: January 01, 2016, 22:23 »
    Too late, search has seen it. Prepare to get :nuts at Sibiu.

Just thought I'd have a look back at the X-Factor audition for the team.

The excitement of who might make the final cut is also lessening as only 17 riders are competing now - the Ethiopians and Eritreans didn't get visas. So with potentially fifteen spots up for grabs, the qualifications are easier than Euro 2018.

http://www.tuttobiciweb.it/index.php?page=news&cod=84517&tp=n

Nikolaos Iaonnidis (23 anni, Grecia), Masaru Nakazto (23, Giappone), Marko Pavlic (22, Slovenia), Ioannis Spanopoulos (22, Grecia), Mihkel Räim (22, Estonia), Guy Gabay (22, Israele), Guy Sagiv (20, Israele), Aviv Yecheskel (20, Israele), Dan Turek (23, Repubblica Ceca), Lubos Malovec (22, Slovacchia), Emanuel Piaskowy (24, Polonia), Vojtek Migdal (24, Polonia), Max Korus (27 Usa/Israele), Juraj Bellan (19, Slovacchia), Chris Butler (27, Usa), Luis Lemus (23, Messico) e Dan Craven (32, Namibia) are played along with some talent in the Horn of Africa They were unable to reach Italy to visa problems and other young Italians without clear agreement from the past 12 to 15 seats up for grabs .

Take your pick, though without knowing the Italians/Africans it's difficult to guess.

I thought it was an interesting premise actually. A chance "to give our riders an equal chance to prove their worth to the team in neutral conditions” without relying on "‘who knows who, random recommendations, intense lobbying etc".

However we never knew who the Eritreans/Ethiopians were or anything about the young Italians, and with eleven of the sixteen (not including Turek as he already had a contract) making the final cut, you could have guessed most of the ones who were going to make it.

I do think Sporza and a Belgian CT team (Veranclassic who seem to change their entire team each year might be an option) could do a interesting Belgian version of it. A few shows in October/November/December covering the "audition" and then a fly on the wall show through the following year.

As to the rejects....

Iaonnidis - off to Vélo Sport Hyérois (French amateur team - Boris Carene is there too)
    Nakazto - rode in the Japanese CX Champs recently (came 27th)
    Spanopoulos - Veranclassic - AGO
    Yecheskel - ???
    Bellan - Dukla Banska Bystrica

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #15 on: January 01, 2016, 22:33 »
    Too late, search has seen it. Prepare to get :nuts at Sibiu.
    What, you expect me to recognise every Conti-level cyclist by his face alone? :o
    Surely that's unreasonable. :P
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #16 on: January 02, 2016, 21:12 »
    So the Cannonball is just another "Conti-level cyclist" is he ?!

That grave you're digging is getting awfully deep.  :P
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #17 on: January 02, 2016, 21:29 »
    No Specialized in 2016 for Cycling Academy. Cannondale will supply their bikes instead.

Quote from: Just Some Conti Cyclist
    I have great memories from my years racing with Cannondale Pro Cycling and I’m looking forward to Team Cycling Academy having a lot of success on these incredible machines. Not only is the EVO the best bike I have ridden yet in my career, it’s a classic looking bike, which I love
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #18 on: January 02, 2016, 21:31 »
    So the Cannonball is just another "Conti-level cyclist" is he ?!

That grave you're digging is getting awfully deep.  :P
    Ah, but it wasn't the Cannonball! It was Mihkel Räim! :P

Which, of course, doesn't make it any better. He's just as cool as the Cannonball. :fp
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9003
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #19 on: January 03, 2016, 14:14 »
    What, you expect me to recognise every Conti-level cyclist by his face alone? :o
    Surely that's unreasonable. :P

does that look like a proper jersey for the

#teamca *ca *ca CANADIAN NATIONAL CHAMPION *ca *ca #teamca

to you?!

:angry :angry
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #20 on: January 07, 2016, 20:33 »
    Cycling Academy take on Scorpion's Pass in Israel.

There it was, this legendary climb in the Negev Desert, a scrappy legs breaking mountain. Thousands of times it was challenged in recent years so when training there yesterday we could not resist trying to beat the record.
    The players: three of our riders: the American Chris Butler, Israeli champion Guy Sagiv and Max Korus. We had with us two guest riders, the talented Israeli national team riders Zohar Hadari and omer Goldstein.
    Did one of them made it and best the record?
    Watch...

https://www.facebook.com/CyclingAcademyTeam/videos/648108415292720/?permPage=1
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #21 on: January 12, 2016, 00:14 »
    does that look like a proper jersey for the

#teamca *ca *ca CANADIAN NATIONAL CHAMPION *ca *ca #teamca

to you?!

:angry :angry

well...they don't actually have a proper jersey for him yet though  :shh :angel

https://twitter.com/bikeGEEEEKS/status/686466972557676544
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #22 on: January 12, 2016, 10:49 »
    well...they don't actually have a proper jersey for him yet though  :shh :angel
    Should be easy enough to fix:

Turn the blue into red[1] and the Star of David into a maple leaf, and you're done. :cool

What I'm really interested in is Dan Craven's #champna jersey ... Presumed he gets one as the *na champs are early in the season. They might wait until after the champs to see if he actually wins them again.
     1. and remove the band below the Star of David
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #23 on: January 12, 2016, 12:00 »
    What I'm really interested in is Dan Craven's #champna jersey ... Presumed he gets one as the *na champs are early in the season. They might wait until after the champs to see if he actually wins them again.
    No #champna kit for Dan: :(
    https://twitter.com/DanFromNam/status/686871182663135232

But, as he hints in his reply, there's other big news coming very soon: UCI should announce the Olympics quotas on Friday.[1]
     1. meaning that the only thing that's 100% sure is that they won't announce them before Friday, and will announce them at any point in time between Friday and the end of the month ...
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #24 on: January 14, 2016, 22:28 »
    Special guest at the Casa del Cycling Academy in Lucca.

Giving the team some tips (hopefully not fashion ones).
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #25 on: January 27, 2016, 20:32 »
    https://www.facebook.com/CyclingAcademyTeam/posts/655563824547179

More races inked in. Winston-Salem and Philadelphia. If we connect the dots, California finishes a week before WS or alternatively the Canadian double header of Saguenay and Beuce starts a few days after Philly.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #26 on: January 27, 2016, 21:52 »
    https://www.facebook.com/CyclingAcademyTeam/posts/655563824547179

More races inked in. Winston-Salem and Philadelphia. If we connect the dots, California finishes a week before WS or alternatively the Canadian double header of Saguenay and Beuce starts a few days after Philly.
    Reading the post, I think it will be Saquenay & Beauce. California would be awesome - but spots in that race are highly sought after.
    In the last couple of years, the distribution of teams was thus:
    Year WT PCT Conti
    2015 8 4 6
    2014 9 3 4
    2013 8 3 5
    2012 8 4 4
    2011 9 4 5
    2010 7 2 7

For 2016, 10 WT teams[1] have indicated that they'll participate. #novonordisk & #uhc are shoo-ins, #wiggins (bringing the namesake rider) have been announced by the organiser ...
    If they stay with 18 teams, only 5 more spots are available. As there are 10 *usa Conti teams, I see very slim chances for #academy to get an invitation.

That said, I think it'd be awesome if they were invited: Boivin, Butler, Lemus, Craven, Korus, Pavlic, Turek and Sagiv would be a very competitive squad.
     1. #ag2r #cannondale #didata #etixx #giant #katusha #jumbo #sky #tinkoff #trek
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 20:07 by LukasCPH »

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #28 on: February 04, 2016, 20:57 »
    Au contraire mon frere!

(well he has to win to get the kit obviously)
    :woohoo
    Dan goes to *na ... :D

Anything but getting the #champna back to Europe would be a disappointment.
    Yeah, I'm setting the bar high.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #29 on: February 04, 2016, 21:16 »
    (well he has to win to get the kit obviously)

could be a bit of a help, yes - I don't think it was for Boivin though :P

...not so far at least
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Road Nats 2017 by Leadbelly
    [Today at 19:34]

Re: Men's Transfers 16-17 by Leadbelly
    [Today at 19:26]

Re: Men's Kits 2017 by LukasCPH
    [Today at 18:17]

Re: Men's Kits 2017 by Leadbelly