collapse

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 8123
  • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
Re: The Academy of Cycling
« Reply #300 on: November 02, 2017, 13:12 »
I wonder if this language barrier would have seemed so important to him if he had been free from his health issues and competitive in races? Probably not.

Anyway onto the Giro and possible team selections!

#academy

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/israel-cycling-academy-complete-2018-roster-with-omer-goldstein/

Edwin Avila (Col)
Guillaume Boivin (Can)
Zakkari Dempster (Aus)
José Manuel Díaz (Spa)
Nathan Earle (Aus)
Sondre Holst Enger (Nor)
Omer Goldstein (Isr)
Roy Goldstein (Isr)
Ben Herman (Bel)
August Jensen (Nor)
Luis Lemus (Mex)
Krists Neilands (Lat)
Guy Niv (Isr)
Ahmet Örken (Tur)
Ben Perry (Can)
Rubén Plaza (Spa)
Mihkel Raim (Est)
Guy Sagiv (Isr)
Kristian Sbaragli (Ita)
Hamish Schreurs (NZl)
Daniel Turek (Cze)
Dennis Van Winden (Ned)
Tyler Williams (USA)
Aviv Yechezkel (Isr)

Using common sense provisos of form/illness/the course etc.

Who will definitely not ride the Giro?

Diaz, Omer Goldstein, Lemus, Niv, Perry, Schreurs, Turek and Williams.

Fairly obvious reasons of youth, inexperience, inconsistency and (let's be honest) lack of ability for a couple of them.

The Israeli selection?

Roy Goldstein

If the team size was still nine I think they would have gone with two home riders, but with just eight now, it makes senses to go with just one. Roy Goldstein must be in pole position with his National Champs RR jersey. However the main consideration must be picking someone who they think has the best chance of finishing the race. So this one is still up in the air really.

Guaranteed picks?

Hermans, Plaza, Sbaragli (and SHE?)

It's tempting to say all four who have dropped down from WT will have been given the nod before signing, but for me Enger will have to show some early season form first.

The rest?

Boivin, Van Winden, Jensen (and Earle?)

A lot of people fighting over three (or four) spots. Boivin and Van Winden are the experienced doms and as Carlstrom says “Their roles will be to help out some of the fast men in the team to arrive at the sprint in perfect condition." They get the nod over Dempster as they can climb a bit better.

Jensen offers something a bit different either from a break or a punchy finish.

If SHE isn't firing on all cylinders, I think they'll go with Sbaragli as the sprinter and Earle or Avila or Neilands could be the beneficiaries.

It's not the team I would have gone with, but it's the one I think they will select.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Giro 2020 General Discussion by LukasCPH
    [December 04, 2019, 07:54]

Re: Giro 2020 General Discussion by Leadbelly
    [December 04, 2019, 07:35]

Re: Giro 2020 General Discussion by Joelsim
    [December 03, 2019, 18:04]

Re: Giro 2020 General Discussion by Joelsim
    [December 03, 2019, 18:02]

Re: Giro 2020 General Discussion by Leadbelly