collapse

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
  • Liked: 4691
  • Awards: KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
Re: The Academy of Cycling
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2016, 21:44 »
Are there any UCI regulations regarding the wearing of National Champs jerseys in races? ie. you have to wear one if you're the current champ.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8838
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #31 on: February 04, 2016, 21:52 »
    Are there any UCI regulations regarding the wearing of National Champs jerseys in races? ie. you have to wear one if you're the current champ.

yes

National road, track, cyclo-cross, mountain bike, BMX, trials and indoor cycling champions must wear their jersey in all events in the discipline, speciality and category in which they won their title and no other event.

I don't know if Boivin didn't get a jersey yet or if the just have not presented it so far though.
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5715
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #32 on: February 04, 2016, 21:58 »
    I don't know if Boivin didn't get a jersey yet or if the just have not presented it so far though.
    He's on the startlist for the GP Costa degli Etruschi on Sunday - so we ought to see it then.

That said, #androni15 Țvetcov didn't get his #champro in time for last year's Sibiu Cycling Tour, and rode the race in the regular team jersey (until Păltiniș, when he took the #red jersey for Best Romanian).
    That, however, was simply because there were only a couple of days from the championship race to the Sibiu Tour. #academy have had months to get something sorted for Boivin now.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #33 on: February 05, 2016, 19:09 »
    No doubt this played a part in Dan's decision to change his plans at such short notice:

As the place was earned collective, NOC and NCF came up with a system which will
    be transparent and fair towards the Namibia Elite Road Cyclist to be selected for the
    place to go and represent Namibia at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games. We agree to
    work within the NOC qualification criteria and the NCF criteria, which brought us to
    the following point allocation system:

Points will be allocated to the respective top Road Cyclists for each of the following
    events:

i) 2015 Africa Tour Points will constitute – 30% of the total Points
    ii) 2015 All Africa Games will constitute – 30% of the total Points
    iii) 2016 Nation Road Race will constitute – 40% of the total Points 

2015 Africa Tour Points

Ranking Rider Points
    35 Dan Craven 67.67
    60 Martin Freyer 33.67
    99 Michael Pretorius 17.67
    100 Costa Siebeb 17

plus a few more after that

2015 All Africa Games

How they have broken down the points within each event we don't know, but assuming that the DNFs at the All African Games get no points, the only danger is Siebeb. Of course Dan still has to achieve some sort of result in the RR and certainly a crash + DNF could hurt in more ways than one, but at least he's there to fight for the place.

Looking at the selection criteria, they seem fair enough, but what doesn't seem right is that they seem to have arrived at this means of selection after two of the three criteria have already passed. Would some of the DNFs in the race have gone on to finish if they knew a Rio spot might have been at stake. Anyway it does add a extra frisson of excitement to the RR.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #34 on: February 06, 2016, 12:15 »
    Looking at the selection criteria, they seem fair enough, but what doesn't seem right is that they seem to have arrived at this means of selection after two of the three criteria have already passed. Would some of the DNFs in the race have gone on to finish if they knew a Rio spot might have been at stake. Anyway it does add a extra frisson of excitement to the RR.
    Very much this.
    It's alright to have a selection process - and in fact, it's good for the sport in *na -, but it's not good enough to 'retro-fit' it upon events that have already passed.
    That said, it would have been equally, if not more, unfair to select the guy for Rio based only on the Nationals Road Race. So in that sense, this is the best of many poor options.

And really, with his ticket to Rio on the line, Dan should take it. He's better than Till (for now, might be different in a few years) and FAR better than Seibeb etc.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #35 on: February 06, 2016, 19:23 »
    Finally it's here! No, not the big reveal of Boivin's kit, but the first race of the season!

Here's the line-up:

GABAY, Guy
    BUTLER, Chris
    PIASKOWY, Emanuel
    MALOVEC, Lubos
    PAVLIC, Marko
    TUREK, Daniel
    BOIVIN, Guillaume
    LEMUS, Luis

Raim was down on the provisional list, but maybe he got left out after a crash this week (he tweeted his helmet saved his life).

There are some clues actually in that picture and in this one....

....about Boivin's kit. I don't think it's going to be a five centimetre red/white/maple leaf band across the chest of a normal kit.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #36 on: February 06, 2016, 20:22 »
    There are some clues actually in that picture and in this one....

....about Boivin's kit. I don't think it's going to be a five centimetre red/white/maple leaf band across the chest of a normal kit.
    I fail to see the clues ...[1] :S
    There are some peaks of a white jersey underneath the jacket - but from several riders, not just one.
     1. not helped by the fact that I still can't identify Boivin ... shame on me!
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #37 on: February 06, 2016, 20:48 »
    I was alluding to the helmet, but on googling, it looks like he is wearing the one he wore while riding for Optum last year. Rather strange. Tomorrow will bring the answers (hopefully).
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #38 on: February 07, 2016, 19:46 »
    https://www.facebook.com/CyclingAcademyTeam/videos/659609320809296/?permPage=1

Hopefully this uses up all their bad luck for the year. Turek crashes and then Boivin punctures going over the GPM in the group of ~ten just behind the leading four.

To clear up the helmet confusion, Lazer are the providers for the team as they were with Optum last year. So no conflict with him wearing that. However still no Nat Champs kit (did they both get fined like they should've?) and they seemed to be all wearing the team's training kit as opposed to their racing one. Strange.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #39 on: February 07, 2016, 20:33 »
    However still no Nat Champs kit (did they both get fined like they should've?) and they seemed to be all wearing the team's training kit as opposed to their racing one. Strange.
    The UCI isn't in charge of handing out fines for that, it's entirely in the hands of the national federations. Don't think the Canadian fed will hand out fines for the national champ not wearing a special, that's more like the Italian or Belgian fed.

As for the training kit - my guess is that they'll have a team presentation where the new kit (including #champca & #champna) will be launched. Soon, I hope.
    Then again, they already had a team presentation during their *il training camp ... :slow
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #41 on: February 08, 2016, 21:14 »
    As for the training kit - my guess is that they'll have a team presentation where the new kit (including #champca & #champna) will be launched. Soon, I hope.
    Then again, they already had a team presentation during their *il training camp ... :slow
    Ask, and you shall be answered:
    https://twitter.com/bikeGEEEEKS/status/696803862620065792
    I hope the surprise will be done sooner rather than later. ;)
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #42 on: February 08, 2016, 21:28 »
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1902
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #43 on: February 08, 2016, 23:37 »
    Special guest at the Casa del Cycling Academy in Lucca.

Giving the team some tips (hopefully not fashion ones).
    Whether he's dishing out fashion tips or race tactics, I can't imagine a more skeptical looking audience for his efforts.  :D
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1902
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #44 on: February 08, 2016, 23:59 »
    This thread caused me to look into Guillaume Boivin, which brought something else to my attention.

Until five minutes ago, I never realized that Svein Tuft was Canadian.  :S Being one-half Canadian myself, this is something that should not have escaped me. :fp

*ca + *gb = *usa  :P

Edit:
    Now that I think about it, I think I was aware of Tuft's Canadian roots, as the phrase, "Canadian Svein Tuft" does have a familiar ring to it. So I must've simply forgotten what I used to know.
    :D
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 00:16 by Drummer Boy »

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8838
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #46 on: February 11, 2016, 19:08 »

:cool
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #48 on: February 13, 2016, 10:18 »
    Beit Guvrin is a non-UCI race, but first win of the season for the team.

https://twitter.com/bikeGEEEEKS/status/698438399741575168

Boivin and Sagiv were part of the early break, and it probably wasn't a surprise that Guillaume won after his strong showing on Sunday.

Not sure when their next UCI race is. Coppi e Bartali is towards the end of March, but surely they'll have something else in the meantime. Maybe the trio of Croatian races in early March again.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #49 on: February 23, 2016, 16:37 »
    Still no news on their next race, but they've been busy anyway.

Dan and Sagiv formed a team in the 3 day Samarathon MTB race in the Israeli Negev desert (right up Dan's street after his Desert Dash in December).

They won naturally, but the two of them felt a bit different about it all.  :lol

After the podium ceremony ( first place by crushing margin) the bearded "Dan from Nam" declared that "I wouldn't mind racing another 2 stages"

" It wasn't fun" admitted Our Israeli champion Guy Sagiv, clearly exhausted by the 5 hours second stage of the Samarathon mountain bike race in the Israeli Desert. " Even as an Israeli, I am not used to race in these kind of conditions, especially the heat".
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #50 on: February 23, 2016, 17:33 »
    They won naturally, but the two of them felt a bit different about it all.  :lol
    Nobody out-deserts a Namibian! :yuush
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #51 on: February 26, 2016, 15:52 »
    Still no news on their next race

GP Izola on Sunday.

http://www.kolesarska-zveza.si/KZS,,ock,novice.htm&showNews=NEWSRPLJWO2262016135416&cPage=1

CCC are the sole PCT team riding, but it will only be with 5 U23s and Taciak. Other competitors include Adria Mobil, Radenska, GM Europa, Synergy Baku, a whole slew of Austrian teams, Meridiana Kamen, Klein Constantia etc etc
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #52 on: February 27, 2016, 16:58 »
    https://www.facebook.com/CyclingAcademyTeam/posts/666752776761617

We are sending 8 riders to the GP Izola in Slovenia, a 157 mostly flat kms that promise an ultra fast and aggressive race. And we are ready to every script that will unfold.

"It will be very nervous race" predicted our Daniel Turek, one of our main cards in this race. He will have to make sure that a major breakaway will not form without him. Sprint finish? We have our canadian champ Guillaume Boivin as a candidate, fresh from wining the last race Beit Guvrin, Israel. No illusion, though. It will be much tougher challenge tomorrow.

G Boivin ( Canada)
    Mihkel Räim ( Estonia)
    Guy Gabay ( Israel)
    Dan Turek ( Czech Republic)
    Wojciech Migdał ( Poland)
    Marko Pavic ( Sloveni)
    Emanuel Piaskowy (Poland)
    Luboš Malovec ( Slovakia)

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #53 on: February 27, 2016, 17:58 »
    I hope the Cannonball will finally wear his #champca jersey! ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #54 on: February 29, 2016, 10:39 »
    https://www.facebook.com/malovecSK/posts/1050327718321701

This was a day with no glory, a day of clear disappointment but also a day that will make us better.

It was 35 km into the GP Izola race that things went badly. That was the moment when 9 riders were able to form a breakaway, and we had no one there. "We missed it" our Canadian Guillaume Boivin.

it will turn out a costly miss. Although more then 120 km left on the race, all efforts to chase it down went to no avail. "The boys gave it 100 percent to close it but it was too much. It was a full gas constantly and the peloton was losing riders".

Our sports director Nicki Sørensen was clearly frustrated: " We should have done better. We had to be in that breakaway and once we failed, we had to chase it down. Bottom line: We are disappointed."

After GP Laguna, again it was Adria Mobil doing the damage. There's a bit of confusion, but according to tweets during the race they had three riders in the break - Novak, Rogina and the winner Golcer.

Trofej Umag and the non-UCI Tour of Arad (for Butler and Gabay) up next.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #55 on: February 29, 2016, 18:56 »
    I hope the Cannonball will finally wear his #champca jersey! ;)

...but due to the weather conditions he had it under wrap for most of the race.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #56 on: March 03, 2016, 19:18 »
    Umag went a bit better for the guys. Seventh for Boivin in the sprint. He said he could have had a podium, but another rider almost caused him to crash in the last 50m.

As mentioned above, the other riders in the team started the non-UCI Tour of Arad today.

https://www.facebook.com/CyclingAcademyTeam/posts/668524196584475

"I really wanted it" admitted Guy Gabay . "From the first moment, I said to myself that it woold be awesome if I can make it".
    Well, he did. 18 km's of one of the most dramatic climbs in Israel - from the foot of the legendary Masada to the young city of Arad.
    The plan was to put a lot of pressure on the Israeli Elite field. Our Dan Craven was taking care of that in the first two thirds of the stage with the help of Guy sagiv. Then it was up to Gabay and our American terrific climber Chris Butler. Eventually , in the last part of the climb, only 3 rivals left. "Butler did an amazing job. No chance i would have won it without him" said Gabay afterwards.

Nobody was celebrating too much as 2 more stages awaiting. "We have to win the whole tour of Arad" said Gabay. " nothing less is acceptable "

Stage two is a very short city circuit crit and the final stage includes Scorpion Pass (see earlier in the thread when they climbed it in training), but unfortunately there's still 80km to go from the top.

The ladies are racing too, but not as a Tour - just three one day races.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #57 on: March 04, 2016, 12:57 »

One of the losers from the X-Factor training camp had his revenge on Stage 2. Sagiv and Dan were both in the winning break, but Sagiv crashed leaving the Namibian outnumbered and despite his best efforts, Yecheskel took the win.

Gabay is still in yellow.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #58 on: March 04, 2016, 15:07 »

But what an awesome jersey (both of them)! :cool
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #59 on: March 07, 2016, 10:28 »
    https://twitter.com/cbutler88/status/706103947770126336

It was only 50km from the top to the finish and not ~80 as I previously thought. Should be interesting to see how he gets on in Coppi e Bartali, Croatia (much stronger field than last year) and Sibiu.

Good signs over at the Trofej Porec too. In very tough conditions Turek finished fifth.

t was a 157 km race that was heavily affected by strong cross winds, sometimes surpassing 30kmh. "I felt bad in the first 50 km" said The 23 years old. "But much better after that".

How much? Well, how about being able to get into the last group of riders that left the peloton behind for good, 30 km t to the finish. With him were 2 of his teamates, Mihkel Räim and Emanuel Piaskowy. After the two strongest riders of the race broke away, it was the Turek group who went into a sprint to get a podium. Turek is not a classic sprinter but he is showing improvement on that and was able to finish 5th. After the 7th place we secured in the last race, everybody feels that the team is moving in the right direction: " we are getting sharper and the podiums will come for sure" said our sports director Nicki Sørensen, confidently.

I guess Pavlic might come into the squad for the Istrian Spring Trophy, but I'm not too sure that either him or Dan has it quite to challenge for the GC.
  • ReplyReply

•