collapse

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
  • Liked: 5474
  • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
Re: The Academy of Cycling
« Reply #330 on: November 21, 2017, 08:54 »
https://twitter.com/Cyclingnewsfeed/status/932637532172488704

Hermans’ Grand Tour appearances have been sporadic since his first ride at the 2012 Giro d’Italia. He believes that he does have the capacity to pull out a strong general classification result, but says that a stage victory would likely prove more beneficial than a half-decent GC spot.

"I have proved it before. In the Vuelta in 2016, I went 14th supporting other guys in the GC and this year I was 12th when I left the Giro with illness, so I proved that I can do top 10 in the best circumstances but it is not a real objective for the team also. When you win a stage, it is better than finishing ninth in the GC

• ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #331 on: November 22, 2017, 16:47 »
    http://www.ceskatelevize.cz/sport/exkluzivne-na-ct-sport/363238-giro-v-izraeli-snad-budu-u-toho-veri-cesky-cyklista-v-izraelskych-sluzbach/

When Giro d'Italia starts to compete in the first days of May, it will not be in Italy. It will not even be in Europe. The start of the famous event will be organized by Israel, and Czech cyclist Daniel Turek believes he will not miss the start.

"There must be at least one Israeli, with about three sprinters, Rubén Plaza and Ben Hermans, and we have six people there, and there are two places for universal racers who can escape, help people in sprinters and leaders in the hills. I would take this year's people from Krists Neilands and myself, but we will see how the newcomers will look and how it will be in the spring, I really believe in it, if we go, I think I should be there."

Make it so Number One.

There is also some team race calendar news in there about Australia (CEGORR + Herald Sun presumably, but I wouldn't say no to the two NZ races myself) and Andalucia.

Trofeo Laigueglia and San Juan are also on the cards.
  • ReplyReply

• zinoviev letter

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 160
    « Reply #332 on: November 22, 2017, 23:39 »
    http://www.ceskatelevize.cz/sport/exkluzivne-na-ct-sport/363238-giro-v-izraeli-snad-budu-u-toho-veri-cesky-cyklista-v-izraelskych-sluzbach/

Make it so Number One.

There is also some team race calendar news in there about Australia (CEGORR + Herald Sun presumably, but I wouldn't say no to the two NZ races myself) and Andalucia.

Sensible to try and load up on race days early when the team's whole season revolves around the Giro.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #333 on: November 23, 2017, 09:00 »
    I do remember thinking earlier this year that they went into the Spring Classics (their big target for 2017) a bit undercooked, so yeah getting a few more early races in makes sense, and let's face it with a 24 man team and most events now having only six riders, you are going to need a bumper calendar to give everybody enough kms.

It's an important year for the team and riders though. Using the analogy of a young rider (which they signed lots of a year ago), if 2017 was their first year of a "neo-pro" contract where results aren't such a big thing, then this year they need to show something and I'm not just talking Hermans, Sbaragli etc. There needs to be evidence of a maturing, better stamina, more nous and results from the whole team.

So no pressure then. :P
  • ReplyReply

• zinoviev letter

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 160
    « Reply #334 on: November 23, 2017, 16:54 »
    They've got 24 riders for next season? That seems a bit unwise unless they are going to be riding a really very extensive calendar for a PCT team. I hope they can find enough races for the less prominent half of their squad.

It seems like they've brought in basically a whole new set of leaders with this year's squad now mostly likely to be in support roles. Are there any of this year's riders who you think will still get regular chances of their own?
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #335 on: November 23, 2017, 19:18 »
    They've got 24 riders for next season?

Add in the devo squad (more UCI races in 2018 they say) and you have at least 30. :o

It seems like they've brought in basically a whole new set of leaders with this year's squad now mostly likely to be in support roles. Are there any of this year's riders who you think will still get regular chances of their own?

That will depend a lot on the calendar and how many race squads they have, but you'd think with 24 riders they'll have three teams on the go quite a few times through the season, so if you're in the third group chances are you will get plenty of opportunities.

Some definitely won't get that freedom however. Boivin, Dempster and Van Winden have already been marked down by Carlstrom as (mainly sprint) helpers. I would put Schreurs and Williams in a similar role, but in smaller races.

The three Israelis (Roy Goldstein, Sagiv and Yechezkel) might get a bit more freedom than others due to their nationality, but water carrying and dom duties will await a lot of the time. Not that dissimilar to this year.

From what I've seen Raim isn't a very good leadout (going too early one time sticks in my mind), so I think he'll either still be one of the sprinters or when in a race with Sbaragli/SHE be given the green light to go in breaks which he did very successfully in 2016.

Neilands and Turek may find their roles compromised by the addition of Earle, Jensen and Avila which would be a shame.

To be honest though, I'm hoping that apart from the first five names I mentioned most will still get some freedom to try and get in breaks. Be the aggressors and not the guys in the peloton trying to control things.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #336 on: November 24, 2017, 21:25 »
    http://www.velo-club.net/post/interview-kjell-carlstrom-une-bonne-nouvelle-que-le-giro-parte-d-israel

Quote from: Carlstrom
    Ahmet is a very fast runner as well as Kristian, August and Sondre Holst Enger among the recruits, without forgetting Mihkel Räim and Guillaume Boivin who were already with us. I think he can be part of the sprinters' train, while also sometimes having his card to play.

http://www.procycling.no/du-merker-at-det-er-et-hakk-opp/

Quote from: Jensen
    "It will not be like in Coop, where I had a free role in virtually all the rides I cycled. You have to go the degrees and find yourself in a slightly different role. I am prepared for that. I hope to participate in some stages and individual rides where I can get my own opportunities.

"Although I climbed pretty well in the rides I cycled for Coop, it would be a climbing to mean something different when we reach WorldTour. I'm not a rider in a very hilly climbing range, but more typical classic riders we recognize in several other Norwegian riders, such as Edvald, Alex, Amund and Truls. Norwegian riders are quite similar, and I join in those who want to bet on the classics.

"The impression I have gained from the conversations we have had on the team is that I'm going into the classic game. Then there are others that are more specific on climbing. At the continental level, they roll the roles a little more into each other. At this level, I think there are more specific roles, he explains.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #337 on: November 26, 2017, 09:46 »
    http://bikepanel.com/p/44112

Roy Goldstein interview.

A lot of DNFs for him towards the end of the season, but apart from the Giro Della Toscana they were all in one day races. He finished every stage race apart from that one which extrapolates quite well into possibly finishing a GT, though obviously with Portugal being the longest at only 10 days (half a Giro) you can only draw so much from it.

Sagiv also did quite well in the "finishing stage races" stakes. The Giro Della Toscana again was a DNF for him, but his only other one was at 3DP which is understandable.

I'm ruling Yechezkel out of the running for the Giro. I think it's between those two. Putting my cynical hat one, I do wonder if they'll be tempted to run the Israeli Nats a bit earlier in the year if they decide not to go with Roy.

At the beginning of January there is already a senator (huh?), and Tour Downer in Australia, and maybe the group is going there - it has not been officially declared so it's not safe yet

If google translate isn't playing tricks, that would be a bit of a coup.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6272
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #338 on: November 26, 2017, 15:43 »
    A lot of DNFs for him towards the end of the season, but apart from the Giro Della Toscana they were all in one day races. He finished every stage race apart from that one which extrapolates quite well into possibly finishing a GT, though obviously with Portugal being the longest at only 10 days (half a Giro) you can only draw so much from it.
    And really, the Giro della Toscana is two one-day races who combined forces and are now posing as one stage race. :P

If google translate isn't playing tricks, that would be a bit of a coup.
    I wouldn't read anything more into this than that the team applied for a wildcard, and that the Tour Down Under organisers haven't said "no" yet.

In its ten editions as a WorldTour event since 2008, the race has invited a non-Australian ProConti team exactly once: In 2010, when #bmc16 BMC had reigning world champion Cadel Evans of Australia on their squad. Otherwise, it's always only been the #unisa national team and, in their ProConti years, #drapac16 Drapac.

Dempster and Earle are very good riders. But they're nowhere near the stature of Cadel Evans, in every aspect.
    And since there are no signs whatever that Peter Sagan is making a surprise move, I think the chances of #academy racing the TDU are slim.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #339 on: November 28, 2017, 14:45 »
    Devo team news. Subtitles for the video, but you have to rely on Google Translate for the accompanying post (you are warned).

https://www.facebook.com/IsraelCyclingAcademy/videos/1095742213862669/

Academic Syyqlyng (!) is proud to announce the new lineup of her reserve group for 2018

Yam Poliak
    Itamar Einhorn
    Saned Abu Fares
    Saar Herschler
    Ofek Hason? Too old surely?
    Guy Leshem

The Six Horsemen selected will soon be added to two foreign riders (Adam Wolf is in the video) and four stagg stagg (stagiaires?). The young group riders will enjoy the full variety of the pro group, including the de (TT?) bike, and the next season will also be exploitation in Europe, which includes three "blocks" of uci and national races.

The four names at the bottom of the post are the future stagiaires I reckon, even though Google Translate has them under the "Staff" grouping.

Ido Bear
    Yanai Golan
    Lior Avitan
    Yuval Ben Moshe
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #340 on: November 30, 2017, 19:12 »
    https://twitter.com/cyclingtips/status/936220162566512640

Lengthy Sylvan Adams interview.

Are Canadian as a rule usually so loqaucious? I'd have them down as more the strong silent types, certainly in comparison with their southern neighbours, but from the cycling world both Adams and Gord Fraser can talk the hind leg off a donkey.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6272
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #342 on: December 01, 2017, 22:26 »
    Okay.....  :D
    Kind of utterly pointless and devoid of any meaningful content whatsoever ...
    ... but still fun. :lol
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #343 on: December 02, 2017, 20:46 »

http://www.federacioncolombianadeciclismo.com/ruta/avila-se-estrena-con-israel-y-sosa-comandara-al-androni-sidermec-en-la-colombia-oro-y-paz/

+ Oro y Paz

Edwin Avila
    Guillaume Boivin
    Luis Lemus
    Ben Perry
    Mihkel Raim
    Aviv Yechezkel

It would make sense if that was the team for San Juan too.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Mens transfers and Rumors 2017-18 by Joelsim
    [December 15, 2017, 17:33]

Re: Men's Kits 2018 by LukasCPH
    [December 15, 2017, 13:10]

Re: Men's Kits 2018 by jimmythecuckoo
    [December 15, 2017, 12:58]

[December 15, 2017, 09:40]

Re: Race news 2018 - Rumours , Dates, Parcours , Wildcards etc. by Leadbelly
    [December 15, 2017, 07:45]

[December 14, 2017, 21:56]