collapse

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
  • Liked: 6659
  • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
Re: The Academy of Cycling
« Reply #390 on: May 20, 2018, 19:44 »
is bringing them home to Rome the only goal left though?

They had three goals in mind pre-Giro:

#1 Stage win
#2 Aggressive racing
#3 An Israeli to finish the race

So at the moment the last one, yes, seems the only attainable goal.

Hermans was at least in with a chance on Etna for the stage win and I was feeling pretty optimistic after that, but although he has been trying since then, it's been without much success. Him and Neilands got in the break on stage 10, but with Chaves getting dropped it was doomed and today he had another go, but didn't look full of energy when I saw him and De Marchi alone at the front. Three chances left for him (1 KoM point wouldn't go amiss either!)

Plaza probably had two stages marked as opportunities. Ten and seventeen. If he'd had the legs on ten, the opportunity was there to go with Frapporti or later with Villella+Mohoric or even with Denz+De Marchi+Henao. The day after the TT is his final chance.

Sbaragli has been awful. He was bad at the start of the season, bad in the run-up to the Giro and even worse during it.

Those are the three the team would have been pinning their hopes on for the stage wins and (worthwhile) aggressive racing. You can't expect too much from debutant GT riders like Neilands or the doms.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2649
    « Reply #391 on: May 21, 2018, 11:25 »
    ....he is a rider without a tradition for being in shape in the spring. Typically starts working around May.....

and...although he fell through on the last hilly stage in Lillehammer and did not win a stage, he was leading the race overall after two stages, and was a threat on stage finishes (even with Groenewegen being way faster) so I guess we can say, the may form curve thing, it  happened again. 

I think he might have won a stage in the Giro, the competing group of sprinters in the Tour of Norway were at more or less the same level as in Italy. Bad selection by Academy, although I have no problem understanding why.

PS: This post was to feature a photo of Sondre in yellow but because of some new anti-copysteal from the race photographers I think I better let it be :)
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 11278
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #392 on: May 21, 2018, 12:45 »
    I think he might have won a stage in the Giro, the competing group of sprinters in the Tour of Norway were at more or less the same level as in Italy. Bad selection by Academy, although I have no problem understanding why.

the springing level in Italy isn't particularly high for sure, but still miles above the one from the Tour of Norway. Just look at stage 1 for example - personally I have never even heard about half of those sprinters finishing in the Top 10 there.

So, would he have done better than Sbaragli? Yes, I think so too. But would he have won a stage, the way the things were going so far? No way.
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

rote_laterne

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 144
    « Reply #393 on: May 21, 2018, 12:47 »

I don't think so but even riding with one leg he would have done better than ICA chosen one.
    Nice to see him getting results, I also rate him high in the Tour of the Fjords.
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1283
    « Reply #394 on: May 21, 2018, 12:57 »
    Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere...

I've been watching some of the Giro in Hebrew, not a language with which I'm familiar but still makes more sense than Kirby. But it seems to me that the word that sounds like academia is used for team so I was wondering if that is why the team is called the Israel Cycling Academy. But then I saw it was called the Israel Cycling Academy Team on their kit, so I do't know if anyone can clear that up...

I did hear the best piece of commentary I've heard in a while; when Yates kicked for the second time yesterday the commentator simply exhaled, 'oofff' in the manner of someone who has been punched in the stomach. No translation required.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6924
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #395 on: May 21, 2018, 13:14 »
    I don't know if anyone can clear that up...
    More or less the only Hebrew I know is 'mazel tov', so I can't be of help here. :S
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #398 on: June 23, 2018, 14:54 »
    Been a decent few weeks for the team since the Giro ended. Not only victories in Korea and Dwars door het Hageland, but good showings in most races they have entered: Hammer Limburg, Adriatica Ionica, Elfstedenronde, Koln and GP Lugano.

It's time to think though of transfers. Not who is joining, but who could be leaving as a lot of the team's contracts are up. If Beppe Conti is right for once and they go WT, then the list could be much longer, but let's work under the assumption that they stay at PCT.

Neilands is the only obvious candidate for a promotion. Great win the other weekend on a tough course, but not against real top competition. Showed enough there though and in MSR and TA and Portugal last year that he has something. EF-Drapac *shudder* could be an option.

Luis Lemus just isn't good enough. I know he's mainly working for others, but one or two decent days in the mountains per year just doesn't cut it. He ticks the box of coming from a non-traditional cycling country and has a good media presence, but there are better Mexicans out there. Somewhere like Illuminate/Elevate/Jelly Belly would be a better fit.

The other one I could definitely see leaving is Yechezkel. He was one of the bigger hopes among the Israeli riders, but seems to have fallen way down the pecking order. Back to MTB?

--------------------------

As for the rest. Plaza could retire. Riders like Williams and Schreurs are essential to any team, but easy to replace as well if slightly better options become available. Diaz has shown a few improvements over the past two years and if the Vuelta is the next target for the team, then will probably be safe.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #399 on: June 23, 2018, 16:33 »
    If Beppe Conti is right for once
    :lol :rofl: :lol

Good analysis.
    I get what you're saying about Lemus. I like him, but he hasn't exactly turned heads this year (or last year).
    Neilands is an #axeon alumnus - they don't often go to Vaughters even later on (and he shouldn't). A Latvian tag-team with Skujins at #trek would be better in my opinion.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #400 on: July 03, 2018, 19:58 »
    https://twitter.com/yallaACADEMY/status/1014175568298901507

:cool

Neilands turning down WT offers to stay for another year.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #401 on: July 12, 2018, 16:15 »

Hermans winning on the Kitzbuhler Horn wasn't the team's first victory on a MTF. Butler won a couple of years ago in Hongrie, but if you remember Raim finished third or fourth on said climb, so let's just say it wasn't very tough. The victory for the Belgian was of a much higher standard.

The defence of the leader's jersey hasn't been easy so far. Yesterday's Grossglockner stage went okay, a short day with just the one real climb made things fairly simple, but today's longer and more up and down profile had them struggling. From the footage I saw they were having to rely on the kindness of strangers (Gazprom for some reason) to stop Madrazo from nicking the lead. Tomorrow looks even tougher.

Some climbers definitely need to be on incoming transfer menu.

Frankiny? Probably heading for a bigger team. FDJ rumoured among others.

Polanc?

Bookwalter?

Carlos Verona? Might fancy a bit more freedom away from Cerberus
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #403 on: July 31, 2018, 07:29 »
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/israel-cycling-academy-start-tour-de-france-push-with-first-french-signing/

Cyclingnews understands the team hopes to add several French riders

Please not Rolland or Bouhanni.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #404 on: July 31, 2018, 12:16 »
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/israel-cycling-academy-start-tour-de-france-push-with-first-french-signing/
    Harrumph.
    I get that you may need to sign someone from La Grande Nation if you want to get into La Grande Boucle.
    But more and more, this is no longer 'the team that gives riders from non-traditional countries a chance', instead turning into 'just another cycling team'. :(

Romain Lemarchand has a family member working for ASO, and he's not under contract with #delko any more ... but that's because he retired after last season. Stupid me. :S
    I guess he could get a DS post ... :shh

Sylvain Chavanel - he's announced his retirement, but maybe some sweet words from Ran Margaliot (and the accompanying envelope of cash from Sylvan Adams) could convince him of postponing that? :shh

Nacer Bouhanni: He'd probably almost guarantee an entry to whichever French race(s) they wanted ... but he'd also be a big liability to take on.

Other French riders out of contract at their current teams:
    #ag2r Cyril Gautier
    #groupama Mathieu Ladagnous, Rudy Molard, Anthony Roux, Bénoît Vaugrenard, Arthur Vichot ... and a certain Thibaut Pinot
    #cofidis Stéphane Rossetto, Anthony & Jimmy Turgis
    #direct Thomas Boudat, Jonathan Hivert
    #fortuneo Anthony Delaplace, Arnaud Gérard, Amaël Moinard, Pierre-Luc Périchon
    #vital Erwann Corbel, Arnaud Courteille, Marc Fournier
    #delko Julien El Farès, Yannick Martinez

With the exception of Pinot (and there's no way he's leaving Madiot, is there?) none of these make me sing hallelujah.

Disclaimer: I do not know which French riders and/or staff they've allegedly signed, this is all speculation.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #405 on: July 31, 2018, 20:09 »
    One other alternative is CN being wrong( :P ) or shall we say over connecting the dots. Yes, we know they want to ride the TdF at some point, but there was nothing in the stagiaire press release about it or the French riders/races bit.

To me the Vuelta would make much more sense in 2019. They have some Spanish riders already and have raced quite a bit in Spain the past couple of years. A wildcard could be easier to get as well if there isn't some upturn in the form of Burgos (will they even exist in 2019?).

• ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #406 on: July 31, 2018, 21:00 »
    if not even Coquard could guarantee a Tour wildcard, I honestly can't see anyone on the market (but Pinot, who will not sign anyway) who would
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #407 on: July 31, 2018, 22:59 »
    One other alternative is CN being wrong( :P ) or shall we say over connecting the dots. Yes, we know they want to ride the TdF at some point, but there was nothing in the stagiaire press release about it or the French riders/races bit.
    Unless I am much mistaken there will be some off-the-record source about this that they can't quote yet (the team will want to announce the signing(s) itself), but which confirms that there will be French signings - they just can't go public with the names yet.
    You don't write "CN learned #academy will sign French riders" unless you are certain of it. ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #408 on: August 07, 2018, 10:55 »
    https://twitter.com/ollieman56/status/1026760087933800448

The French team Côtes d'Armor Cycling playing in National Division 1, announces a privileged partnership with Israel Cycling Academy evolving in Pro Continental UCI.

The French club will become the official reserve team of ICA.

The Israeli team and the French club have decided to join forces to allow young talents to develop their full sporting potential and to flourish fully in high-level cycling. In other, Côtes d'Armor Cycling will welcome several hopeful runners of the Israeli team . As part of the collaboration, the French club will serve as the official training and race platform for the reserve team, providing the hopefuls with a quality racing program, full professional support and supervision. Close to ICA staff and management French club riders will also join the professional team at training camps throughout the year.

For several years Côtes d'Armor Cyclisme is part of the training and support of young French riders but also foreign. This international collaboration strengthens the spirit of openness characterizing Brittany. We will allow some of our young people to evolve in an international context allowing them to see and live other sports, cultural, linguistic experiences.

No French riders as of yet, but they have linked up with a French team.

Fabien Schmidt is the jewel in the crown (1st in the Direct Velo Challenge) and was talking yesterday about a potential return to the pro ranks, but he is 29. Other names I recognize are Bescond (ex-Cofidis) and Nico Roche's younger brother Alexis.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 13:46 by Leadbelly »

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #409 on: August 07, 2018, 18:37 »
    https://www.directvelo.com/actualite/68326/cotes-d-armor-reserve-d-israel-pour-survivre

More detail about the partnership in an interview with the Cotes d'Armor boss.

It's a big financial help to the team.

They'll have 3 Israelis and possibly another of a different nationality.

No obligation to use them in their big races.

The Geeeeks will have first dabs on their riders (assuming the rider wants to sign).

They'll be able to send some of their riders to altitude training camps with the pros.

Renard declined a stagiaire role.

They'll use the same gear and will have similar (new) kits.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #410 on: August 13, 2018, 11:54 »
    Fabien Schmidt is the jewel in the crown (1st in the Direct Velo Challenge) and was talking yesterday about a potential return to the pro ranks, but he is 29.

off to Delko now...

https://twitter.com/Delko_MP_KTM/status/1027932670305726464
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #411 on: August 25, 2018, 21:16 »

Great win yesterday for the team and, unlike for Neilands victory earlier in the year, this time Quickstep were competing. Not sure how it played out tactically, but Raim showed he is the man.

----------------------------------------

You don't write "CN learned #academy will sign French riders" unless you are certain of it. ;)

The field of potential signees is getting shorter and shorter. Roux extended with Groupama, Bouhanni says he's staying with Cofidis (phew!), Rolland + Vichot + The Gaut ended up at Vital Concept and Turgis went to Direct Energie.

At WT that leaves the trio of Molard (surely will re-sign with Groupama unless his demands are now too high after a good year), Cavagna (could be a small chance if he fancies a bit more freedom) and the youngster Vincent (his 18th at the Dauphine completely passed me by).

Boudat is the only one at PCT and there have been rumours of him falling out with JRB during the Tour.

There are a couple of young 'uns at the CT level that interest, but no more than that and of course there are numerous unknowns at the amateur level, but the pickings could be slim after all the French pro teams take the cream.

So Vincent + Boudat?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #412 on: August 26, 2018, 06:41 »
    There are a couple of young 'uns at the CT level that interest, but no more than that and of course there are numerous unknowns at the amateur level, but the pickings could be slim after all the French pro teams take the cream.

So Vincent + Boudat?
    They're French. Nobody said they'd have to also be good. :P
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #413 on: September 18, 2018, 10:36 »
    Been a decent few weeks for the team since the Giro ended. Not only victories in Korea and Dwars door het Hageland, but good showings in most races they have entered: Hammer Limburg, Adriatica Ionica, Elfstedenronde, Koln and GP Lugano.

That run of good form continued on for a while, mainly through the personage of Hermans at Austria and Utah, but things have been going off the rails of late I think.

Obviously there was the win for Raim at the GWRR, but there hasn't been much else to show for this series of European one-day races that they have been on. Here are the recent results:

Coppa Bernocchi: 17th Sbaragli
    GP Jef Scherens: 13th Neilands
    Primus Classic: 10th Jensen
    Coppa Agostini: 18th Sbaragli
    KVV: 36th Enger
    GP Wallonie: 29th Neilands
    GP de Fourmies: 10th Sbaragli
    Antwerp: nobody finished
    Brussels: 26th Perry
    Druivenkoers - Overijse: 19th Perry
    Schaal Sels: 12th Perry
    Omloop Mandel-Leie-Schelde Meulebeke: 50th Enger
    GWRR: 1st Raim
    Veenendaal-Veenendaal: 3rd Enger
    GP Stad Zottegem: 21st Carisey

Okay the plain results might not tell the full story. No doubt bad luck played a part here and there, but not in all of the races. Sure some of the races they were up against top competition, but in others, if you look at the start lists or top-tens, they are up against lower end PCT and the usal smattering of local CTs.

Not a good end to the year.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2649
    « Reply #414 on: September 18, 2018, 20:03 »
    If you factor in the stage races, it is a little bit better, at least they had 2x stage 2nd in ARctic race with van Winden and Enger. Only listing one day races is a bit biased :)
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #415 on: September 20, 2018, 05:53 »
    ARoN fell outside the time frame of these races. Just checking back the only stage race that the team has raced whilst on this one day series marathon was Deutschland. It was raced around the time of GWRR on the list

Stage 1: 10th Sbaragli
    Stage 2: 17th Hermans
    Stage 3: 25th Hermans
    Stage 4: 15th Hermans

GC: 16th Hermans

Nothing special there.

Still, they have quite a few more chances in the next couple of weeks to redeem their tail-end of the season.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #416 on: September 23, 2018, 21:00 »
    Still, they have quite a few more chances in the next couple of weeks to redeem their tail-end of the season.

Much better stuff today and yesterday.

Looks like my e-mail to the team did the trick. :shh
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #417 on: October 11, 2018, 18:13 »
    It's an ill wind etc.

For differing reasons the Israeli youngsters have had a chance the past couple of days to show what they can do, and they've done okay.

Over at Taihu Lake, Avila was a DSQ after the organizers decided he was to blame for Alzate's crash on stage 2. Step forward stagiaire Itamar Einhorn. You can watch the sprint below (from stage 3) where he got himself in the perfect position inside the last km, right on Molano's wheel. It looked even better when the Manzanista went early. However from that point it didn't go as well. He decided within a couple of seconds to come off Molano's wheel to try and come by, but it was still too early, he didn't have the pace and ended up eating wind. I think a third or fourth might have been possible if he had just stayed where he was and then came out when the Colombian started to fade.

Anyway (outside of the nats) it was the first top-ten in a UCI race for an Israeli elite male this year. In fact it was the first since Rwanda in 2016.

The other youngster to benefit from somebody else's misfortune was Omer Goldstein at Gran Piemonte today. It was Sbaragli who crashed early in the race and, although he managed to finish, was in no shape to sprint. The onus thus fell on Omer to try his best.

Okay the competition wasn't of the highest pedigree and the course was pan flat, but 14th in nasty conditions isn't too shabby.

----------------

News tomorrow on whether Plaza will retire or not.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #418 on: October 12, 2018, 07:32 »
    Over at Taihu Lake, Avila was a DSQ after the organizers decided he was to blame for Alzate's crash on stage 2. Step forward stagiaire Itamar Einhorn. You can watch the sprint below (from stage 3) where he got himself in the perfect position inside the last km, right on Molano's wheel. It looked even better when the Manzanista went early. However from that point it didn't go as well. He decided within a couple of seconds to come off Molano's wheel to try and come by, but it was still too early, he didn't have the pace and ended up eating wind. I think a third or fourth might have been possible if he had just stayed where he was and then came out when the Colombian started to fade.
    He'll learn from this and be better the next time.
    More important than the actual sprinting (anybody can learn that) is the positioning - and being in the wheel of the green jersey is a great place to be.
    So he has that down. :cool
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #419 on: October 12, 2018, 21:04 »
    So he has that down. :cool

Apart from yesterday when he got squeezed and ended up back in 18th. :lol

Today he finished way down on time as well. Either a victim of a crash or had to help a team mate.

News tomorrow on whether Plaza will retire or not.

https://twitter.com/yallaACADEMY/status/1050787263431491586

Not the most professional of announcements as they spent forever trying to work out if the video was showing correctly. :lol

Still waiting for extension news on the following riders:

Van Winden
    Sagiv
    Roy Goldstein
    Turek
    Perry
    Lemus
    Schreurs
    Diaz
    Williams

Difficult to see the first three not being renewed. The others however must be under threat if the team wants to strengthen with more than the uninspiring Barbier and Brandle, and keep to roughly the same number of riders as this year.

I obviously wouldn't want Turek to leave, but I could live with it if he went to Elkov and got free reign there. Perry seemed to already know about the Landis team news before the announcement - could Gord have tipped him the wink for a future job?
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: The Academy of Cycling by Leadbelly
    [October 23, 2018, 18:50]

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2018-19 by search
    [October 23, 2018, 15:40]

Re: World Championships 2018 by Drummer Boy
    [October 23, 2018, 14:05]

Re: Connect the Dots - Transfer Predictions 2018/19 by LukasCPH
    [October 23, 2018, 09:51]

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2018-19 by LukasCPH