collapse

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
  • Liked: 6696
  • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
Re: The Academy of Cycling
« Reply #420 on: October 19, 2018, 21:24 »
https://twitter.com/procyclingno/status/1052633548145000448

Jensen interview.

It has been very educational. It has been a season where I have suffered a bit of injury and illness (and crashes!) But I have been cycling many big rides and it has been good and fun challenges in a row. But I wish I had been more stable fresh and fast.

The health issues were knee infections and saddles sores due to new pedals and saddles respectively.

When I've been in good shape, I've felt stronger than I did last year in some of the bigger rides. Especially part of the 1.1 rides I have cycled, I have known that there is no level I have trouble with. But there have been no fighting results because I've driven a lot of helpers too. Like I did for Sondre in the Norwegian rides and also a lot abroad.

I knew I did not get the same freedom that I got last year in Coop. Then I ended up at a wave peak and could float in tailwind and it has not been as easy this year because of a few different factors. But now I can sit down and look at what can be done differently and what was the difference with last year with regard to driving and the things there. And come up with concrete suggestions to avoid injury and illness and perhaps avoid the stupid rolls.

If Google translate isn't letting us down he says that the team will use the "same equipment next year".
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6943
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #421 on: October 20, 2018, 08:40 »
    If Google translate isn't letting us down he says that the team will use the "same equipment next year".
    I can confirm that he says that. :cool
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #422 on: October 23, 2018, 18:50 »
    https://twitter.com/velonews/status/1054722528185368576

Could find it difficult to get another gig.

--------------------------------

https://sport.idnes.cz/smlouvy-cesti-cykliste-rok-2019-dka-/cyklistika.aspx?c=A181018_213728_cyklistika_ten

In other news the team was interested in Toupalik, but he has extended with Correndon. Turek is also mentioned in the article. I think it says he was promised a new contract earlier in the year, but nothing has been signed yet.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 11325
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #423 on: October 30, 2018, 13:58 »
    good performance by Badilatti in Hainan today, let's hope he can build up on that next year :cool.

Looks like #fdj Davide Cimolai is likely to be another signing for 2019. It's not confirmed yet, but Cimolai said that he found a new team, and he started following both Bikegeeeks and Carlström on Instagram a couple of days ago.

Cimo is a good rider of course with a lot of experience, but not exactly what the team needs, I would say
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #424 on: October 30, 2018, 16:38 »
    Cimo is a good rider of course with a lot of experience, but not exactly what the team needs, I would say
    Doesn't every team need 17 sprinters?! :lol
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #425 on: October 30, 2018, 16:48 »
    I think he is a bit more than just a sprinter, more of a hard man, and also with a chance to get good results in races like Sanremo, maybe Plouay, Vattenfall and so on. But that's probably still pretty far away from getting a podium, let alone winning a race like that. And what do you get for finishing 8th...
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #426 on: October 30, 2018, 19:44 »
    And what do you get for finishing 8th...

UCI points. :P :fp

I had seen that he was following the team on twitter and I had it in my head that he could do a lead out job, but he's probably of a level as a sprinter with the guys he might be leading out.

Even so, no matter which way you look at it, he's an upgrade on Williams or Schreurs or Perry, but an (exotic) climber would be preferable and needed.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2658
    « Reply #427 on: October 30, 2018, 21:24 »
    Let's not forget that ICA doesn't need more guys for the Poggio, they actually had an excellent MSR last year, launching the winning move (albeit not winning) + August Jensen was there ready for for the final finale but someone rammed his derailleur and he couldnt get the right gear for the sprint.

They do need 28 sprinters! :fp at least! (This team-with-no-midfielders sickness has spread across the Arabian peninsula from #uae I believe)
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #428 on: November 01, 2018, 18:47 »
    http://www.be-celt.com/2018/10/31/ran-margaliot-israel-cycling-academy-a-ete-chercher-le-team-des-cotes-darmor/

Interview with Margaliot about the team's link-up with Cotes d'Armor. Just two points of interest.

#1 "Next year (2019), our main goals will be: the Giro d'Italia, the California Tour Amgen and the new Tour of Israel."

They must have a got a 2 for the price of 1 deal at the RCS sale. Seriously though, while their showing at the Giro was a bit unforgettable with only a few stand out days, I do think their performance through the year showed that the invite wasn't totally without sporting merit.

#2 "We set ourselves the goal, with the management of the Côtes d'Armor, to sign one or more before the end of 2019 for the Pro team and I do not speak of Israeli runners!"

A repeat of an earlier statement, but who? Renard is the obvious candidate, but he hasn't renewed with the team yet and has actually started following Chambery on twitter. No news about Balfour or Poisson either. From the six that have signed so far, possibly Axel Flet (24) is the pick of the bunch.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #429 on: November 07, 2018, 08:27 »
    Jensen surely has talent, but I'd think seeing him as contender for MSR is a bit far fetched tbh.

#fdj Davide Cimolai is now confirmed to join the team. And he says he wants to win exactly that race.

https://www.facebook.com/515137875256442/posts/1456432111127009/
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #430 on: November 10, 2018, 14:17 »
    https://twitter.com/OdvartJames/status/1061230082285621249

This is a counter-argument to the "Why hire all these fast guys? :S" and it links in with expanding the team to twenty nine (!) riders i think. The hope is that they can be competitive with multiple riders worldwide over the course of the whole season and that the top-ten scorers will be enough to beat Cofidis/Wanty to those auto-wildcards.

It kinda works as an argument to an extent, but of course climbers can win points too and decent lead out men can help those fast guys get better results.

When it comes to scoring points though, the sprinter/classic guys do seem to have the system weighted in their favour.

The top-ten in the European Tour rankings for 2018 contain Hofstetter (1st but with only one win!), Dupont (3rd), Pasqualon (6th) and Dehaes (10th). The best PCT climber is Sosa down in 11th who had a pretty good year by all accounts. Maybe this is something the UCI needs to look at.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #431 on: November 10, 2018, 19:27 »
    When it comes to scoring points though, the sprinter/classic guys do seem to have the system weighted in their favour.

Maybe this is something the UCI needs to look at.
    But how?
    Award more points to mountainous races on account of their mountainousness?
    If a 2.1 stage race has mountains, it automatically gets points as if it were 2.HC? :dizzy

Now, that wasn't entirely serious.

But the UCI really should reconsider awarding the exact same amount of points for a stage race GC (and no matter if it's two days or eight) as for a one-day race. Maybe even give more points for individual stages compared to the current points scales.

My first idea was to simply add X points per extra day (say, 5-10 percent of the points for a one-day race per day). Then I realised that this wouldn't be as easy since the lower ranks get only a few points (3 points for 40th in a .HC race), and adding even just a single point per day would be a whole 33 %. But since the UCI loves to award decimal points in TTTs, why not do it for stage races as well?!

Here's an example:
    Win a 1.HC one-day race[1] --> 200 points
    Win a 2.HC with 5 stages[2] --> 240 points (200+200*5%*4)
    Win a 2.HC with 8 stages[3] --> 270 points (200+200*5%*7)
    Finish 15th in a 1.HC race --> 10 points
    Finish 15th in a 5-day 2.HC --> 12 points (10+10*5%*4)
    Finish 15th in an 8-day 2.HC --> 13.5 points (10+10*5%*7)

In my opinion, that doesn't skew the balance towards GC guys by so very much. It's only an extra 35% for a race that lasts eight days as opposed to one day.

Points for stages (often won by sprinters) could should be increased as well - it's ridiculous that a 1.HC sprint victory gives 200 points while a sprint stage win in a 2.HC race gives only 20. I don't see a problem with doubling that (and simultaneously giving points to not only the stage podium, but the top-5 or even top-10).

EDIT:
    Oh, and by the way, the pre-2005 World Ranking did have differing points scales for one-day races and stage races. It was only when the ProTour/WorldTour and Continental Tours were introduced that the points scales were 'simplified'.

Looking at the 2003 rulebook, the winner of what was then a 1.2 race (e.g. GP Miguel Indurain, now 1.HC) got 80 points. The winner of a 2.2 stage race (e.g. the Giro del Trentino, now 2.HC as Tour of the Alps) received 120 points - a whole 50 % more!
     1. e.g. Brabantse Pijl
     2. e.g. Volta ao Algarve
     3. e.g. Tour of California
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 19:45 by LukasCPH »

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #432 on: November 10, 2018, 21:04 »
    Yes, I guess I'd have been better saying that Sosa was the best placed PCT stage racer rather than climber.

No matter what you do though it will never be fully balanced. Cycling just has too many variables. Stage races vs classics, two day races vs ten day ones, early season vs peak season, European Tour vs the ROTW and a big one in start list quality. Hainan gives the same points as Algarve, Fuzhou (or Sibiu if we want to stop bullying China) the same as Valenciana even though the start lists are astronomical units apart in quality.

I don't think we'd see anything as crazy as teams turning down invites to "big" races in Europe so they can rack up the points in Ballybackofbeyond, but there's room definitely for some judicious picking of the lowest hanging fruit.
  • ReplyReply

•