collapse

Leadbelly

• World Champion
  • Liked: 8828
  • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
Re: The Start-Up Nation of Cycling
« Reply #600 on: October 10, 2020, 17:57 »
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #601 on: October 10, 2020, 18:15 »
    https://twitter.com/WielerFlits/status/1314945053945720833

Alex Dowsett fears for his professional life. The Briton has no contract for the upcoming season yet. His victory in the eighth stage of the Giro d'Italia was therefore a very welcome gift. “It was a very tough year. There is so much uncertainty. ”

“I work hard, I want to keep racing next year, because that is what I prefer to do. I want to get food on the table for my family. Hopefully this victory will secure me for next year. ”

The 32-year-old Briton tries to enjoy all impressions as much as possible due to his uncertain professional life. “You keep getting a year older. Every win could be your last, maybe this will also be my last big round. I try to enjoy this with my teammates, my wife Chanel and my family. ”

Could be tough for him to stay with I-SUN. Normally there are only three spots left and at least one cobbled classics rider is needed. However there is a strain of sentimentality that runs in the team, not always to it's benefit, and that could swing him a contract. Unless of course somebody else comes in with an offer. I had been thinking Bahrain could be an option for him. There's the Ellingworth link and the team there is quite light on pure TT ability.

If it had been me in charge it would have been Dowsett and not Brandle who got the extension earlier in the year. However the Austrian got the nod, MWS is also around and Bevin is joining the team. Dowsett is probably a better TT-er than all three, but the latter two bring extra stuff to the table.

We'll see what happens.

• ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #602 on: October 16, 2020, 09:09 »
    Some behind the scenes stuff.

https://twitter.com/sporza_koers/status/1317005700510453760

Looks like Verbrugghe will be the new sports manager (another ex-IAM associate). More news today is likely.

A month or two ago there was also the news that the team will continue to ride Factor bikes in 2021. A bit surprising as other brands (Bianchi and someone else I can't remember) had been linked and there had been some trouble during the year with the riders actually getting TT bikes - Cataford said something after TA about not being able to practice his TT much this year.

It could just be that they lost out in the bike merry-go-round to other teams or maybe they have a brand lined up, but only from 2022 and Factor is just staying on as a stop-gap. Specialized would be good (if unlikely)!
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #603 on: October 17, 2020, 21:42 »

This is more the sort of team I like, with plenty of options on most days :cool

Martin obviously has the best chance of getting a stage win. Badilatti and Piccoli could try for the break on some of the MTF finishes and then there's three or four hillier days in the second half for Renard and Goldstein to target.

Raim finally gets his reward for his wins over the years. Not too much depth in the sprint field after the big-3, but with very little obvious help for the Estonian, top-tens are all he can hope for I think.

MWS's omission is a bit of a surprise. I assumed that since he wasn't riding the classics, he would be here, but no sign of him. Has there been a falling out with his plain speaking after missing out on the Tour?
  • ReplyReply

• Armchair Cyclist

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3275
    • Awards: 2020 Tour de France Prediction Champ2020 Worlds Prediction Champ2019 Spring Classics Prediction Champ2018 Tour de France CQ game winner
    « Reply #604 on: October 17, 2020, 22:38 »
    Nice to see that they took such care over producing that poster that they didn't give Piccoli a capital letter.  C-
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 7799
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #605 on: October 18, 2020, 08:41 »
    Nice to see that they took such care over producing that poster that they didn't give Piccoli a capital letter.  C-
    You're being generous.

No capital Piccoli, and the riders' photos not in the same order as in the list ... it's a 3/10 from me.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Armchair Cyclist

• Classics Winner
    • Awards: 2020 Tour de France Prediction Champ2020 Worlds Prediction Champ2019 Spring Classics Prediction Champ2018 Tour de France CQ game winner
    « Reply #606 on: October 18, 2020, 09:50 »
    It really annoys me when it is someone's job to do such things, and they do it with so little care and with nobody checking it before it is sent out as the public image of the organisation they work for. 
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #607 on: October 18, 2020, 19:48 »
    It really annoys me when it is someone's job to do such things, and they do it with so little care and with nobody checking it before it is sent out as the public image of the organisation they work for.
    Speaking of which, the Vuelta tweeted about *ec Carapaz ... using the *co flag. :fp

He was not happy:
    https://twitter.com/RichardCarapazM/status/1317898257775906816
  • ReplyReply

• Armchair Cyclist

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #608 on: October 18, 2020, 22:41 »
    Technically, the civil flag (which is the level of flag relevant to sporting events) is identical to the Colombian flag.  The version charged with the coat of arms is the State flag, which is properly restricted to the government, military and diplomatic service.  I only cited that once in Ecuador before I learned that no-one wants to use the civil flag.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• lukascph.media
    « Reply #609 on: October 19, 2020, 12:29 »
    I only cited that once in Ecuador before I learned that no-one wants to use the civil flag.
    Probably because the civil flag is, as you say, identical to the Colombian flag. :P
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #610 on: October 21, 2020, 09:16 »

He just wasn't suited to European racing or rather, he was just very late in his career to make an attempt to get used to it.

In addition to that we know Navarro is looking elsewhere, so that leaves seven unknowns for next year.

Sagiv, Niv and Goldstein - All three must extend

Boivin - I'd say that's almost a certainty too. The only other option would be Rally. They are looking to expand their European racing programme and if Guillaume fancies a few more leadership opportunities....

Raim and Dowsett - Could get sentimental contracts, but the squad needs strengthening in other areas.

Hollenstein - Solid, but least chance of all of these.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #611 on: October 22, 2020, 18:08 »
    https://twitter.com/wcsbike/status/1319307319663054848

Sorry Alex. This is the first proper WT stage win. ;)

The team is doing an decent job so far of helping him. Renard especially and Hollenstein have been prominent in keeping him towards the front. Goldstein helped a little bit today on the climb. Obviously the big test will be on the longer climbs on Sunday and further on in the race. Can Badilatti stick around a bit more?
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #612 on: November 20, 2020, 19:32 »
    https://twitter.com/YallaIsraelSUN/status/1329727061917888515

No surprises there.

Buried in the text though is the info that the "plan is to revamp the Continental “Israel Cycling Academy” team and will race in 2021 with a full under-23 squad, including eight young Israelis."

So no more Dan. :(

Unless they really spring a surprise and hand him a WT contract. :pray

We already knew most of the old guys were leaving anyway. Perry to Astana, Avila to Burgos, Awet to _______ and Ovett to L39ION or a Zwift team (?).
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion

Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #614 on: November 26, 2020, 17:19 »
    Those confirmations the other day about the Israelis staying with the team brings the number of riders for 2021 up to 30. So why no news saying the transfer dealings are done or announcing the other two riders? Imo they must have been after Nizzolo and/or Lopez. Since they are no longer available I hope we'll get the final deals out of the way sooner rather than later.

I still don't believe Boivin won't re-sign especially with Astana now being complete. That brings us to 31.

Hollenstein impressed at the Vuelta I have to say. I could live with that.

A Raim renewal? I think his ship has sailed. Should have focused on classics instead of sprints imo.

A Turek upgrade? Fantasy signing. He could have been promised something after missing out last year with the Katusha merger. Has followed Scinto etc recently on instagram. Czech media recently said there would be news within ten days about his future.

Ben Moshe stepping up? Would probably benefit more from staying with the CT team another year. Could also have national service commitments to fulfil.

Somebody else? They were after Power the other year, but he struggles to put several days of good racing together. I like Havik and Budding at Riwal myself, but if they were interested they should have signed them last year.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #615 on: November 27, 2020, 06:01 »
    https://twitter.com/ollieman56/status/1332092166487859201

I had noticed that he was following and being followed by some of the guys on the devo team. Not sure how Ollie knows it's confirmed. He could have just asked him I guess.

https://firstcycling.com/rider.php?r=85725&y=2020#rider

Some decent junior results, but nothing major in his two years at U23 so far.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion

Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #617 on: November 27, 2020, 18:09 »
    https://www.ilfoglio.it/girodiruota/2020/11/27/news/froome-tra-le-bici-d-israele-1485027/

This article could clear up one point of confusion in the Froome transfer.

Adams and Froome met in 2018 at the start of the Giro d'Italia from Jerusalem. There was harmony, they recognized the same passion for cycling in the other. For almost two years they did not hear much, then, when the contractual dynamics allowed the Kenyan of England to think of a future different from the one that (not) the Ineos proposed to him, they re-established contacts and quickly found an agreement. One year of renewable contract as long as he wants to run. Adams asked Froome only one thing: obstinacy to return the best. Froome asked Adams only for precision and a few followers up to the mission, the usual one: to try to win the fifth Tour de France

Some were saying the contract was for five years, others for three. If this is to be believed, it's a lot less worrying than that.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion