collapse

zinoviev letter

• Domestic Rider
  • Liked: 172
Re: The Academy of Cycling
« Reply #150 on: October 11, 2016, 20:00 »
Good signing. And "depending on how the roster shapes up now with the upcoming announcements, I think they are going to have a more pure sprinter in the roster" could be an indication that the rumors about Fortin joining the team are true I guess

I am a bit surprised that Bora didn't keep him. I know that Sagan doesn't really need or use a train, but Dempster's a very useful domestique for sprints and flatter races in general.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7513
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #151 on: October 11, 2016, 20:37 »
    I am a bit surprised that Bora didn't keep him.
    Same here.
    And even though Sagan may not need him, Bennett is still there ... :S
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

zinoviev letter

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #152 on: October 11, 2016, 22:32 »
    Same here.
    And even though Sagan may not need him, Bennett is still there ... :S

Yes, indeed. It's not clear how Sagan's arrival will effect Bennett apart, presumably, from it meaning that he won't be their sprinter at the Tour. With Bora going WT and racing a larger schedule, including all three GTs, there should in theory still be plenty of races for him.

It's particularly difficult to tell because as far as I can see, the team only has 19 riders announced for next year. I assume that they will have considerably more than that in the end. Bennett might end up with enhanced help, benefiting from strong riders primarily brought in to help Sagan. Or he could end up being quite peripheral, largely fending for himself in races that Sagan isn't interested in.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #153 on: October 11, 2016, 23:04 »
    It's particularly difficult to tell because as far as I can see, the team only has 19 riders announced for next year. I assume that they will have considerably more than that in the end.
    They will have to:
    Quote from: UCI rule 2.15.110
    The number of riders in each UCI WorldTeam may not be fewer than twenty-three (23).
    Most teams have at least 25 riders - this year, only #lampre had 24 riders.
    I think the last WT team to have only 23 riders was #euskaltel in 2012, their last year with a "Basque-only" policy.
  • ReplyReply

• zinoviev letter

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #154 on: October 11, 2016, 23:33 »
    They will have to:Most teams have at least 25 riders - this year, only #lampre had 24 riders.
    I think the last WT team to have only 23 riders was #euskaltel in 2012, their last year with a "Basque-only" policy.

Yes, I'd guess 25 or 26. I haven't heard many rumours linking other riders to them since their big signings though. Presumably they will need at least a couple of people who can climb well as they've signed two GC riders but only have Buchmann, Konrad, Mendes on their books to support them.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8002
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #155 on: October 12, 2016, 08:11 »
    The Fortin rumours don't do anything for me I'm afraid. He's done well to turn his career round after a couple of underwhelming years with Bardiani, but.....well, maybe I just don't like out and out sprinters.  :P
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #156 on: October 12, 2016, 10:49 »
    The Fortin rumours don't do anything for me I'm afraid. He's done well to turn his career round after a couple of underwhelming years with Bardiani, but.....well, maybe I just don't like out and out sprinters.  :P
    Yeah, me neither, I like the breakaway artists and puncheurs more as well.
    But, it can't be denied, sprinters win sh*tloads of races. ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #157 on: October 18, 2016, 18:44 »
    https://www.facebook.com/CyclingAcademyTeam/posts/781900255246868:0

Bit of a senior moment for me with this transfer as I thought he had already signed for Caja, but of course that was Schultz.

The Klein Constantia rider, coming from Christchurch, New Zealand, Hamish has certainly caught the eyes of many after a strong showing this season, including 3rd place in the Under 23 Paris - Roubaix and winning the GC in Carpathian Couriers stage race, a race in which he also took victories in two stages as well. Schreurs also won his Native lands Under 23 championship for the second time (his first was in 2015).

Schreurs impressive performance earned him a promotion from his team Klein Constantina up the ranks to the Etixx-Quick step squad, who added him to the team as a trainee this summer.

Ran Margaliot, expressed his confidence that Hamish will be able to deliver. “We believe he is an exceptional rider as he is so versatile: He can ride the Pave in the Classics so well, but he can also manage the climbs in tour races. He has a good sprint, and, first and foremost – Hamish has proved himself as a rider with very high race intelligence. Put it all together with his self-motivation and an ability to adapt — coming from New Zealand to Europe - and we concluded that we have here a really exceptional talent”.

He was at Veranclassic - Doltcini in 2014 and Sojasun Espoirs in 2015, so as Sean would say, he's had his head kicked in, in both Belgium and France.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #158 on: October 18, 2016, 18:52 »
    If you give credence to "who's started following who" on Twitter then Smukulis could be joining too. Some climbers wouldn't go amiss though.

But, it can't be denied, sprinters win sh*tloads of races. ;)

Some sprinters win sh*tloads of races. :P

Lot's of top tens for others, especially the ones in my CQ teams.....
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #159 on: October 21, 2016, 15:57 »
    https://www.facebook.com/CyclingAcademyTeam/posts/781900255246868:0

Bit of a senior moment for me with this transfer as I thought he had already signed for Caja, but of course that was Schultz.
    Ooh, Hamish! :cool
    First of all, what a great first name. Second, he's a damn fine rider.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13036
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #160 on: October 28, 2016, 08:43 »
    On Cicloweb I read that the team will have an Italian Sponsor ("un'importante partnership italiana") next year. Any information about that?
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #161 on: October 28, 2016, 09:51 »
    On Cicloweb I read that the team will have an Italian Sponsor ("un'importante partnership italiana") next year. Any information about that?

First I've heard about it.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #162 on: October 28, 2016, 15:00 »
    Do you have a link to that article?
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13036
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #163 on: October 28, 2016, 15:14 »
    it was mentioned in the Cicloweb forum (basically only that sentence up there), I haven't seen an article myself
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #164 on: October 28, 2016, 15:32 »
    it was mentioned in the Cicloweb forum (basically only that sentence up there), I haven't seen an article myself
    You cheat on VR?! :angry
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #165 on: October 30, 2016, 20:31 »
    https://www.facebook.com/CyclingAcademyTeam/posts/791974414239452:0

Czech rider Dan Turek will become Israel Cycling Academies lone original rider, as he survives the cruel but necessary cuts as the team moves to compete at the Pro continental level next season.

In a clear indication of the difficulties facing cyclists to fulfill their dream of advancing to the top level in pro cycling, none of the Academies core of 12 riders except Turek who raced in the teams inaugural season will wear its uniform in 2017.

“We owe so much to the riders who started our journey. They gave it their all” said Team owner and founder Ron Baron. “But it was absolutely necessary to up the level as we move to a much tougher racing schedule in our first season as Pro Continental team”.

The team has already announced the signing of 5 New riders, all top young Talents or veterans with Pro continental Pro Tour experience, in addition to a few successful riders from its 2016 season that will officially end next month with the Tour of Rwanda.

But the Czech 24 year old who won his teams first ever race in 2015, will now be the only original rider to make it. And no wonder, “We are extremely proud of Turek” said team manager Ran Margaliot. “From our very first days as a team, he showed his courage & aggressiveness, taking huge risks in breakaways when the odds were totally against him. In a way, Turek symbolizes our DNA. He races in the way we want our team to approach racing: To risk it all in a daring way, when finishing a race means nothing if you do not have the guts to go for the jugular. Turek exemplifies all that. Which is why he was rewarded with our trust to be part of our Pro Continental team.”

Turek’s style of being ultra aggressive earned him the nickname “Mr. Breakaway”. He earned his 2 wins for Cycling Academy in 2015 through breakaways, and although this season he was used more as a domestique to the team’s sprinters, he never abandoned his signature style. “I had a different role on the team this season, as I was more of a support guy, but I was happy to do it. I am very proud to be with this team from day 1 and to have the chance to continue with it to the next level” he said. “I am sure that I can keep progressing next year, although the challenges will be much more difficult. I am sure I can show that I belong”.

Best news of the week. I was getting a bit worried that he didn't fit in with this alleged "top name" team policy, but my fears have been allayed. Now we just need the other Dan to put pen to paper and then we're cooking with gas.

Not that out of the blue that Migdal, Malovec and Piaskowy are leaving. Gabay, the winner of Hets Hatsafon, is maybe more of a surprise.

Anyway if we assume that Mr. Craven re-signs as do the remaining five Israelis (Goldstein x 2, Hadari, Sagiv and Yechezkel). That will give a total of 15 riders to date. So probably still a few spots to fill - a couple from another X-Factor camp? a top name fast guy? Africans?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #166 on: October 30, 2016, 23:39 »
    Best news of the week. I was getting a bit worried that he didn't fit in with this alleged "top name" team policy, but my fears have been allayed. Now we just need the other Dan to put pen to paper and then we're cooking with gas.
    The "top name" policy was always just for new signings (more or less), they'd be stupid not to take their tried and tested talents with them.

Not that out of the blue that Migdal, Malovec and Piaskowy are leaving. Gabay, the winner of Hets Hatsafon, is maybe more of a surprise.
    Huh.
    4th in the *il champs isn't good enough anymore for a pro contract ... to be honest, that's probably a reasonable assessment of the current strength of Israeli cycling.
    I guess that he'll continue with the development team that they have in the works.

Anyway if we assume that Mr. Craven re-signs as do the remaining five Israelis (Goldstein x 2, Hadari, Sagiv and Yechezkel). That will give a total of 15 riders to date. So probably still a few spots to fill - a couple from another X-Factor camp? a top name fast guy? Africans?
    Mr. Craven said in Sibiu that he'd already had "the talk" with the management back in June/July (two months early), and I assume he's just waiting for all the Is to be crossed and Ts to be dotted ... or something.

I don't think all five Israelis will necessarily get a pro deal right away. Sagiv and Roy Goldstein have proven themselves, and Yechezkel is up-and-coming. Omer Goldstein however has only half a season of Conti experience, and the same is true for Zohar Hadari. Those two would profit from another year at Conti level.

Another X-Factor camp would be cool. :D
    Don't know if they need a top name fast guy, but it's undeniable that, if one were available, he'd be nice to have.
    Africans I would love to see. I think #academy will be at the Tour of Rwanda, what better opportunity to look at the talent that's there.
    But I think they can also snap up one or two experienced riders still; there are lots of riders looking for a ride at the moment, many with an impressive palmarès.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #167 on: October 31, 2016, 05:42 »
    Huh.
    4th in the *il champs isn't good enough anymore for a pro contract ... to be honest, that's probably a reasonable assessment of the current strength of Israeli cycling.
    I guess that he'll continue with the development team that they have in the works.

I don't think all five Israelis will necessarily get a pro deal right away. Sagiv and Roy Goldstein have proven themselves, and Yechezkel is up-and-coming. Omer Goldstein however has only half a season of Conti experience, and the same is true for Zohar Hadari. Those two would profit from another year at Conti level.

I was more surprised about Gabay just because he is an Israeli. I seem to remember you didn't rate Hets Hatsafon too highly though.  :P

We'll have to see what happens with the Israelis and the devo team. They said it was going to be U23 and therefore only Omer Goldstein would be eligible from that perspective, but there's no reason why over 23s couldn't sign too, just that those riders wouldn't be able to compete in the U23 calendar.

I still think most of them will sign for the main team. Although they'll be a PCT team and will be racing some bigger races, presumably they'll still be a presence at quite a few .2 events where the less experienced members of the team (Israeli or otherwise) can continue their development.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #168 on: October 31, 2016, 07:56 »
    We'll have to see what happens with the Israelis and the devo team. They said it was going to be U23 and therefore only Omer Goldstein would be eligible from that perspective, but there's no reason why over 23s couldn't sign too, just that those riders wouldn't be able to compete in the U23 calendar.
    True.
    In my opinion there's absolutely no reason to be holier than the pope when it comes to the U23 "cut-off" for the development team. Many riders, especially from "non-traditional cycling nations", simply need more time to become ready for a pro contract. Sign 5-8 U23 riders by all means, and then add any non-U23 riders that you want to keep in the project that aren't ready for PCT yet.
    There are U23 races where the development team's U23 riders can get high-level experience (though some are Nations Cup which means that a multi-national U23 line-up isn't possible), but there are also many .2 races that have a strong peloton with both lots of U23 riders and decent elite riders.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #169 on: October 31, 2016, 18:56 »
    True.
    In my opinion there's absolutely no reason to be holier than the pope when it comes to the U23 "cut-off" for the development team. Many riders, especially from "non-traditional cycling nations", simply need more time to become ready for a pro contract. Sign 5-8 U23 riders by all means, and then add any non-U23 riders that you want to keep in the project that aren't ready for PCT yet.

There's also a lot to be said for having, not really a father figure, but more of a big brother team mate. Like Luke Roberts did at Stolting or Dan is doing with the main team. Someone to show them the ropes on and off the road.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #170 on: October 31, 2016, 22:08 »
    There's also a lot to be said for having, not really a father figure, but more of a big brother team mate. Like Luke Roberts did at Stolting or Dan is doing with the main team. Someone to show them the ropes on and off the road.
    Indeed. Those guys are invaluable. I've seen first-hand which roles Fabian Wegmann, Linus Gerdemann or Michael Reihs filled on #stolting - it's hard to explain, but even harder to overstate its importance.

Hang on ... Michael Reihs. :D
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #171 on: November 11, 2016, 09:13 »
    https://twitter.com/bikeGEEEEKS/status/796953695640551425

https://www.facebook.com/CyclingAcademyTeam/videos/803599903076903/

Final race of the year for the team. Form probably isn't going to be that good as Qatar was their last racing and if they want to be in top shape for 2017 they should be just starting their training for the new season now.

Both Goldsteins are riding, but not 100% sure about who else. Boivin did say a while back about some date in November he was looking forward to - it could be romantic or it could be Rwandan!
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #172 on: November 15, 2016, 08:32 »
    https://twitter.com/mihkelraim/status/798215095071440896

We're still waiting on the UCI for final confirmation, but signing up to ADAMS and the whereabouts programme is a requisite of riding for a PCT.

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #173 on: November 15, 2016, 08:53 »
    We're still waiting on the UCI for final confirmation
    Don't hold your breath.
    Last year, we had to wait until 25th November ... so don't expect it anytime before next week. More likely the week after that. :ohu
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #176 on: November 18, 2016, 20:23 »
    That almost-casual tone by the UCI ... :D
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #178 on: November 22, 2016, 19:23 »
    https://www.facebook.com/CyclingAcademyTeam/photos/a.516933988410164.1073741833.515137875256442/814030625367164/?type=3&permPage=1

Got the front sport page of Imvaho Nshya newspaper in Rwanda with a great story about our team.
    Team manager Ran Margaliot discussed our team's great experience being part of the unique Tour du Rwanda in the last 10 days and our desire to have an African rider in our team.

Rest assure: This will happen sooner then later.

Areruya or Mugisha in pole position I'd say.

If they go down the sprinter route Galdoune impressed me in Hongrie and he can't have failed to impress the team too, but a Rwandan or Eritrean would seem more likely than a Moroccan (even if it's a fairly Italian one).
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #179 on: November 22, 2016, 20:00 »
    https://www.facebook.com/CyclingAcademyTeam/photos/a.516933988410164.1073741833.515137875256442/814030625367164/?type=3&permPage=1

Areruya or Mugisha in pole position I'd say.

If they go down the sprinter route Galdoune impressed me in Hongrie and he can't have failed to impress the team too, but a Rwandan or Eritrean would seem more likely than a Moroccan (even if it's a fairly Italian one).
    Mugisha's #rwkom jaunt was impressive; but it was "only" about going into the break and hoovering up the points.
    Areruya's performance is much more promising, especially on the back of last year's second place. He's now confirmed what he can do, even if he ended up in fourth place this time.

There are also the Eritreans and Ethiopians that had been invited to the team's end-2015 "X-Factor camp" (but didn't get visas for it); I trust that the team will have kept an eye on those.

But finally, *cough* *na Dan Craven, anyone? :D
    He is an African, his family have lived there for I-don't-know-how-many generations. And he's been on the team this year already.
  • ReplyReply

•