collapse

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
  • Liked: 6160
  • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
Re: The Academy of Cycling
« Reply #390 on: May 20, 2018, 19:44 »
is bringing them home to Rome the only goal left though?

They had three goals in mind pre-Giro:

#1 Stage win
#2 Aggressive racing
#3 An Israeli to finish the race

So at the moment the last one, yes, seems the only attainable goal.

Hermans was at least in with a chance on Etna for the stage win and I was feeling pretty optimistic after that, but although he has been trying since then, it's been without much success. Him and Neilands got in the break on stage 10, but with Chaves getting dropped it was doomed and today he had another go, but didn't look full of energy when I saw him and De Marchi alone at the front. Three chances left for him (1 KoM point wouldn't go amiss either!)

Plaza probably had two stages marked as opportunities. Ten and seventeen. If he'd had the legs on ten, the opportunity was there to go with Frapporti or later with Villella+Mohoric or even with Denz+De Marchi+Henao. The day after the TT is his final chance.

Sbaragli has been awful. He was bad at the start of the season, bad in the run-up to the Giro and even worse during it.

Those are the three the team would have been pinning their hopes on for the stage wins and (worthwhile) aggressive racing. You can't expect too much from debutant GT riders like Neilands or the doms.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2306
    « Reply #391 on: May 21, 2018, 11:25 »
    ....he is a rider without a tradition for being in shape in the spring. Typically starts working around May.....

and...although he fell through on the last hilly stage in Lillehammer and did not win a stage, he was leading the race overall after two stages, and was a threat on stage finishes (even with Groenewegen being way faster) so I guess we can say, the may form curve thing, it  happened again. 

I think he might have won a stage in the Giro, the competing group of sprinters in the Tour of Norway were at more or less the same level as in Italy. Bad selection by Academy, although I have no problem understanding why.

PS: This post was to feature a photo of Sondre in yellow but because of some new anti-copysteal from the race photographers I think I better let it be :)
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 10692
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #392 on: May 21, 2018, 12:45 »
    I think he might have won a stage in the Giro, the competing group of sprinters in the Tour of Norway were at more or less the same level as in Italy. Bad selection by Academy, although I have no problem understanding why.

the springing level in Italy isn't particularly high for sure, but still miles above the one from the Tour of Norway. Just look at stage 1 for example - personally I have never even heard about half of those sprinters finishing in the Top 10 there.

So, would he have done better than Sbaragli? Yes, I think so too. But would he have won a stage, the way the things were going so far? No way.
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

rote_laterne

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 79
    « Reply #393 on: May 21, 2018, 12:47 »

I don't think so but even riding with one leg he would have done better than ICA chosen one.
    Nice to see him getting results, I also rate him high in the Tour of the Fjords.
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1247
    « Reply #394 on: May 21, 2018, 12:57 »
    Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere...

I've been watching some of the Giro in Hebrew, not a language with which I'm familiar but still makes more sense than Kirby. But it seems to me that the word that sounds like academia is used for team so I was wondering if that is why the team is called the Israel Cycling Academy. But then I saw it was called the Israel Cycling Academy Team on their kit, so I do't know if anyone can clear that up...

I did hear the best piece of commentary I've heard in a while; when Yates kicked for the second time yesterday the commentator simply exhaled, 'oofff' in the manner of someone who has been punched in the stomach. No translation required.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6707
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #395 on: May 21, 2018, 13:14 »
    I don't know if anyone can clear that up...
    More or less the only Hebrew I know is 'mazel tov', so I can't be of help here. :S
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's Pro Cycling Correspondent
    2018 Synergy Baku Press Officer; 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #398 on: June 23, 2018, 14:54 »
    Been a decent few weeks for the team since the Giro ended. Not only victories in Korea and Dwars door het Hageland, but good showings in most races they have entered: Hammer Limburg, Adriatica Ionica, Elfstedenronde, Koln and GP Lugano.

It's time to think though of transfers. Not who is joining, but who could be leaving as a lot of the team's contracts are up. If Beppe Conti is right for once and they go WT, then the list could be much longer, but let's work under the assumption that they stay at PCT.

Neilands is the only obvious candidate for a promotion. Great win the other weekend on a tough course, but not against real top competition. Showed enough there though and in MSR and TA and Portugal last year that he has something. EF-Drapac *shudder* could be an option.

Luis Lemus just isn't good enough. I know he's mainly working for others, but one or two decent days in the mountains per year just doesn't cut it. He ticks the box of coming from a non-traditional cycling country and has a good media presence, but there are better Mexicans out there. Somewhere like Illuminate/Elevate/Jelly Belly would be a better fit.

The other one I could definitely see leaving is Yechezkel. He was one of the bigger hopes among the Israeli riders, but seems to have fallen way down the pecking order. Back to MTB?

--------------------------

As for the rest. Plaza could retire. Riders like Williams and Schreurs are essential to any team, but easy to replace as well if slightly better options become available. Diaz has shown a few improvements over the past two years and if the Vuelta is the next target for the team, then will probably be safe.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6707
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #399 on: June 23, 2018, 16:33 »
    If Beppe Conti is right for once
    :lol :rofl: :lol

Good analysis.
    I get what you're saying about Lemus. I like him, but he hasn't exactly turned heads this year (or last year).
    Neilands is an #axeon alumnus - they don't often go to Vaughters even later on (and he shouldn't). A Latvian tag-team with Skujins at #trek would be better in my opinion.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #400 on: July 03, 2018, 19:58 »
    https://twitter.com/yallaACADEMY/status/1014175568298901507

:cool

Neilands turning down WT offers to stay for another year.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #401 on: July 12, 2018, 16:15 »

Hermans winning on the Kitzbuhler Horn wasn't the team's first victory on a MTF. Butler won a couple of years ago in Hongrie, but if you remember Raim finished third or fourth on said climb, so let's just say it wasn't very tough. The victory for the Belgian was of a much higher standard.

The defence of the leader's jersey hasn't been easy so far. Yesterday's Grossglockner stage went okay, a short day with just the one real climb made things fairly simple, but today's longer and more up and down profile had them struggling. From the footage I saw they were having to rely on the kindness of strangers (Gazprom for some reason) to stop Madrazo from nicking the lead. Tomorrow looks even tougher.

Some climbers definitely need to be on incoming transfer menu.

Frankiny? Probably heading for a bigger team. FDJ rumoured among others.

Polanc?

Bookwalter?

Carlos Verona? Might fancy a bit more freedom away from Cerberus
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: BMC news by al_pacino
    [July 16, 2018, 21:54]

Re: How The Race Was Won Cosmo Catalano by Drummer Boy
    [July 16, 2018, 17:25]

Re: BMC news by Drummer Boy
    [July 16, 2018, 17:20]