The Library > The Economics of Professional Road Cycling
collapse

LukasCPH

• World Champion
  • Liked: 6797
    • lukascph.media
  • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
The Economics of Professional Road Cycling
« on: November 22, 2015, 11:34 »
Finally actual academics have had a look at the economics of pro cycling, defusing many of the 'myths' that get thrown around as pure truth by the Lefèveres, JVs and Olegs of this world.

And Fearbal McKay had a look at the book:
http://www.podiumcafe.com/book-corner/2015/11/21/9774430/the-economics-of-professional-road-cycling-edited-by-daam-van-reeth

I noted one thing in particular:
One bugbear I had with the book is that, too often, secondary sources are cited instead of primary. Rather than Toutelatélé being the source of the numbers in the above quote, it was actually Les Echos. This also happens with things like relevant CAS judgements, where rather than pointing to the actual judgement, a report of it is referenced. It is particularly annoying when Wikipedia and YouTube are being cited as sources.
In my first year at university, I had a paper marked 'not passed' because I referenced Wikipedia in a (virtually unnecessary) footnote. Now, 8 years later, accomplished economists use that, YouTube etc. in actual publications! :o

One problem for the general populace will be the price of the book that I remember as being several hundred €. If you're at some university's economy department, you'll just use the one bought by the university's library - but it limits the availability for everyone who's neither an economist or has lots of money to spend.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's Pro Cycling Correspondent
    2018 Synergy Baku Press Officer; 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10904
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Re: The Economics of Professional Road Cycling
    « Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 12:51 »
    and here is the inrng book review from a couple of weeks ago

https://twitter.com/inrng/status/663548084782174208
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1310
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    « Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 17:30 »
    . . .
    I noted one thing in particular:In my first year at university, I had a paper marked 'not passed' because I referenced Wikipedia in a (virtually unnecessary) footnote. Now, 8 years later, accomplished economists use that, YouTube etc. in actual publications! :o
     . . .
    I think, over here in the US, Wikipedia is yet frequently forbidden as a bibliographic source. I would think this should be changing, at least somewhat. Nice thing about a good Wikipedia article, though, is that they often contain other, more "trustworty" source references. I know my son's high school teachers spoke disparingly of it's use. Which seems to me as a silly blockheaded attitude. But teachers are sometimes like that.
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6797
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 18:53 »
    I know my son's high school teachers spoke disparingly of it's use. Which seems to me as a silly blockheaded attitude. But teachers are sometimes like that.
    It is blockheaded, yes. If you want a quick overview of a topic, Wikipedia is second to none - and often has lots of references for further reading. Plus, unlike a hardcover lexicon, it's only a few clicks away.
    English Wikipedia is excellent; it's different with smaller languages where articles can be short and/or biased.
  • ReplyReply

•